Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old July 03, 2017, 16:54   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
PVS-14?

Finally got all my helmets upgraded and have more than enough till next generation obsolete what have now. But wife and I each have a pair of ACH MICH high ear with N Rails, have standard ACH MICH in truck emergency kits and lots of spares. All have night vision mounts and have six complete night vision arms and adapters. My primary has an early Gen 2 PVS-14 monocular and on five others have a selection of I.R. and Thermal devices attached from elegantly as the PVS-14 attaches to J Arm to one with short section of pic rail attached to J Arm and device attached to pic rail and down to a couple that required use of duct tape. Funny thing is have a Bushnell I.R. monocular paid $50 duct taped to J Arm, is rated for 10 yards and in the house works stunning with the ambient light after we shut down for evening or if pull plug on all lights the illuminator does great room to room. Step outside in dark and 10 yards is about its functional range.

Been playing a lot with the new primary as added a Peltor noise cancelling hear through headset and dual radio capability. Am not really satisfied with my monocular anymore. Compared to my ATN Gen 2+ CGT night vision scopes it lags well behind them in performance. Have no desire to spend Gen 3 money but beginning to see a lot of Gen 2+ PVS-14's in the $1,199 to $1,799 range. Especially if don't need the mounting brackets. While don't need to spend any extra money right now a guy came into LGS with a Armasight NYX-14 HD MG Gen 2+ had purchased then when his wife saw the credit card bill flipped out. Claims has had out of box once and sales receipt, shipping documents show he has had in his possession for two weeks. Also know he has been to every LGS in town, pawn shops, has listed on Craigslist and fleabay. Got his number and think $900 would part him with it. He dropped price to $1,000 in LGS and his fleabay auction has opening bid of $999 running with over seven days left and no bids. Awfully tempting to call and make a cash offer and break into some locked up funds. Know there are lots of guys here that refurbish and resell night vision. Looking to upgrade by winter when time changes so what should I expect to pay for a Gen 2+ monocular compatible with military mounting system.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2017, 22:58   #2
gates
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 129
DrTrumpet was selling refurb PVS14's in the $1500 range - I got a backup for my OMNI unit, I think he put a GenIII ANVIS tube in a new 14 housing - only real difference I can tell between his $1500 unit and the $3500 OMNI tube is manual gain on the latter and auto gain on the former - unit works GREAT - ought to ping him and see if he's still doing them, great value IMO.
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 04, 2017, 08:47   #3
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
Huey you seem to have tons of money so stop farting around and get some PVS-21s. I use them several times a week fitted to a Team Wendy helmet and they are worth it. Light, compact, great vision, plenty of adjustments to make for an easy fit. $20K on sale.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 04, 2017, 11:45   #4
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Jim Rawles of Survivalblog https://survivalblog.com has a ad on the right side bar for PVS14 (I think it is his side company) usually has good price on the equipment (although I never really shopped for night vision gear w/ my meager wallet)

http://www.jrhenterprises.com/PVS14-...sion-PVS14.htm
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2017, 17:28   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I don't have plenty of money, just a modest but steady toy budget that if thrifty with seems to keep adding toys. Yes, could order a $18,000 set of panoramic Gen 3 goggles but it would kill a years budget of hunting bargains and would only have one very expensive night vision kit that would feel like needed to be locked in vault or Faraday box. Am the type that assumes SHTF at very unexpected times. Why have a bug-home kits in all vehicles.

Have discovered Gen 2+ night vision does pretty much what I need. Often find someone who bought an item and used once then unexpected bill or angry wife put it in my hands at half street price with less than 10 hours use. Right now am buying lots of high quality 6.8 barrels from people switching back to 5.56 due to availability of ammunition. Found deal on new primed brass end of 2015 and ended up with 15,000 cases from one company dirt cheap. Found 5,000 loaded milspec 90 grain Gold Dots on clearance then 6.8 costs shot to the moon. It's a constant search for deals, willing to be one generation off latest technology that allows me to have a helmet with hear through ear muffs, dual radio capability and night vision. If ordered a new ACH MICH high ear with N Rails, MSA/Sordin dual radio headsets, Team Wendy suspension/padding and Gen 3 night vision it's a $25,000 to $30,000 helmet and would only own one and have to give to wife as won't let her take my seconds. Can be frugal with lightly used, 1.0 to 1.5 generations off latest tech and have $2,500 in a fully equipped quality helmet. That means wife and I both have one almost current, like new primary kit. Then we have a a little older (say Gen 2 optics, single channel headset) kit for trucks and backup. The workable kit that's close at hand when need beats the top of line kit locked up in safe or at home when on vacation. Why always lurking and looking for deals on lightly used and refurbished equipment. Have to add a radio or two to each vest, can buy three good used Icom handhelds for less than one new. Can buy five good public service Motorola's. Rather have three of last year's model or five police duty radios than one of current model plus accessories are cheaper for the older. Especially when going to open up to do a MARS/CAP free band mod that voids warranty first day to unlock transmit abilify across entire operating range.

Caught a one day sale with Leupold Tracker thermal monoculars for $399 and free shipping. Know for a fact, most refurbs are returns from remorseful shoppers. Factory goes through, does more testing than new, repackages with warranty and have two Loopy thermals for price of one. It's how am wired and will always be even if had a seven figure toy budget. Have a lot of hobbies, just added an EKG and defibrillator to home med kit from Iraq MASH unit surplus. Also scored a good used weather radar that doesn't need repaired. It will get packed in a Faraday box with my spare weather fax and other forecasting equipment. If buy new at retail would have one super high speed, low drag operators kit for an old man to guard and care for. Rather have a pile of beaters I can field without remorse. Used my helmet with duct taped Leupold Tracker last night. The Norotoros mount has enough adjustment it flips down in perfect eye position then up out of the way, $70 helmet, $30 N Rail kit, $35 Team Wendy pads, $40 Norotoros mount, $399 Loopy thermal and $175 single channel hear through headset. Used a PTT kit with splitter for second radio with Safariland controls and helmet is better than most solders had in Iraq for under $1,000 and 80% functionality of a $25,000 Uncle Sugar kit that a real operator uses.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017, 06:39   #6
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKodog View Post
Jim Rawles of Survivalblog https://survivalblog.com has a ad on the right side bar for PVS14 (I think it is his side company) usually has good price on the equipment (although I never really shopped for night vision gear w/ my meager wallet)

http://www.jrhenterprises.com/PVS14-...sion-PVS14.htm
I'm with you. Gotta go old school. Can't even have dreams of night vision.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote