The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Daewoo Files

Notices

Old June 08, 2019, 17:06   #1
Icer
Registered

FALaholic #: 82501
My Daewoo K-2 and DR-200 Modifications...

Just some pics and a list of the mods I've done to my new acquisitions.
First the K-2...
Stormwerkz 90 degree selector and low profile rail
Geissele Single Stage Precision trigger
Daniel Defense DD-15003 Lower 1/3rd see thru mount
Aimpoint T-1

Next the DR-200...
Magpul STR stock
AR-15 receiver extension and castle nut
IWC Rotation Limited Quick Detach End Plate
Stormwerkz Daewoo DR-200 Stock Adapter Type 2 and 90 degree selector
Ace pistol grip
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Barrel cut down to 16 1/4" and threaded 1/2x28
Gemtech Bi-lock flash hider
Gemtech M4-96D suppressor

I kept the K-2 relatively stock and everything can be returned to factory original if need be, no permanent mods. It's a classic as is...
The Daniel Defense T-1 mount works perfectly allowing use of the irons and putting the dot comfortably above the front sight.
The Geissele trigger is fantastic and needs no further praise.

I chopped the DR-200 barrel because I hated the post ban muzzle device that was on it and I wanted to go with a shorter barrel for the suppressor.
16 1/4" looks great and balances much better.
The heavier Magpul STR stock helps when the suppressor is mounted and is one of the best stocks on the market.
Josh's Stormwerkz accessories are of course top notch and function exactly as advertised.

I'd love to see an ambi version of the 90 degree selector hit the market, as well as a rear sling swivel delete for the K-2, and a low profile MLOK compatible rail system...and some replacement bolts.
Icer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2019, 17:58   #2
paulb2112
Registered

FALaholic #: 65687
Very nice.
paulb2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2019, 20:51   #3
vandal968
Registered

FALaholic #: 23530
Very nice. Did the shortened barrel cause any cycling issues? Did you have to adjust the gas block, or did everything still work with the same setting?

cheers,
c
vandal968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2019, 22:20   #4
Icer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal968 View Post
Very nice. Did the shortened barrel cause any cycling issues? Did you have to adjust the gas block, or did everything still work with the same setting?

cheers,
c
I haven't shot it yet...just got it back from the gunsmith yesterday.
I'll try and put some rounds thru it tomorrow.
All the research I did here on this forum from older posts indicates that shortening the barrel all the way down to 14.5" doesn't affect cycling in the least.
The adjustable gas system should handle any issues on an oddball rifle but mine has run just fine with the 18" barrel on the smallest gas setting. The highest gas setting sends brass into a low earth orbit.
Less gas will actually be beneficial for keeping parts from breaking prematurely.
Old June 09, 2019, 02:46   #5
paulb2112
Registered

FALaholic #: 65687
I've done two 200's at 16'' and both run great at low setting.
paulb2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 04, 2019, 02:13   #6
Icer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal968 View Post

cheers,
c
I've had the DR-200 out to the range twice now since I chopped the barrel and it's performed perfectly both times with a variety of ammo.
I can still run it on the lowest gas setting for both suppressed and unsuppressed.
It shoots a lot softer than it used to throwing 5.56mm loads out about 15 feet at 1 o'clock. Running it suppressed extends that out to 23 feet or so.
The rifle recoils on the bags smoothly and staying on target at 100 yards is child's play. Fast follow up shots offhand are a breeze.
Accuracy was still quite good with 55gr loads and the sights didn't require much adjustment to get back in the black. Seems like I have a good crown on the barrel.
Overall I definitely recommend shortening a DR-200 barrel to both get rid of the ridiculous muzzle device and to end up with a better handling rifle...and less recoil and the subsequent reduction of wear and tear on the internals is another great bonus.
Old July 04, 2019, 22:12   #7
JoeCorrado
Registered

FALaholic #: 79802
Very nice! I dig the look of the DR with the shortened barrel and the AR stock. Makes it look a bit more modern.
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019, 10:48   #8
Tad_07
Registered

FALaholic #: 79492
Strange that the dr200 has a 1:12. That is usually just on early k2's, especially that its in the later upper. Attached a pic of the upper that barrel is normally in [the only one I've ever seen it in]. The left hand side of the upper at the rear sight is flat on the earlier upper and they all had 1:12. Wonder if it got swapped out or just one the had left over when it was getting put together.
Tad_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019, 11:33   #9
jam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 68968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad_07 View Post
Strange that the dr200 has a 1:12. That is usually just on early k2's, especially that its in the later upper. Attached a pic of the upper that barrel is normally in [the only one I've ever seen it in]. The left hand side of the upper at the rear sight is flat on the earlier upper and they all had 1:12. Wonder if it got swapped out or just one the had left over when it was getting put together.
I do believe that all the DR200ís has 1:12 bbls. Both of mine are 1:12.
jam762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019, 12:08   #10
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam762 View Post
I do believe that all the DR200ís has 1:12 bbls. Both of mine are 1:12.
As far as I know, all DR200s had a 1/12 twist. I know that mine does.

I have both a K2 and a DR200 (Kimber import).

The K2 (which has a 1/7.3 twist) is completely stock except for one of Derek's (AZEX) 90 degree selectors (the original will slip right in again if I want, of course).

The DR200 has the original silver soldered muzzle 'device.' I don't want to cut the barrel down and refuse to heat the muzzle enough to get it off. And I think that the un-slotted 'FS' looks better than a bare barrel, so it doesn't bother me that much.

The DR200 also has one of the 90 degree selectors. It has an early ACE pistol grip (identical to the original Daewoo K2 ones), a Stormwerkz stock adapter, an ACE folding stock module (FSM) and an ACE tubular (FAL para type) stock.

Today, Josh (Stormwerkz) has a 90 degree selector (which I'd buy if I needed one) and his version of the ACE FSM (which I'd also buy over the ACE one due to better manufacturing quality comparing recent production).

In my opinion/experience, the ACE FSM was higher quality before J&G bought them out.

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019, 12:41   #11
ftierson
Registered

By the way, the K2 was the 'sanitized' military rifle (remove select fire ability) exported to the US for commercial sales here. Thus, a 1/185mm (1/7.3") twist makes sense.

The DR200 was a special commercial version designed to 'get around' US 'assault weapons' legislation affecting imports. It was 'designed' for commercial sales. Thus, the 1/305mm (1/12") twist suiting a varmint rifle makes sense. For all I know, Korea may have required the slower twist on the DR200s for export reasons. After all, everyone was touting the sporting rifle aspects of all these firearms at the time (aimed at the sporting rifle criterion in US import laws).

Then again, I may just be full of shit on the legislative stuff and trying to read some rationale into government actions that are usually, by definition, lacking reason...

Forrest
Old July 10, 2019, 19:22   #12
Icer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad_07 View Post
All the information I've collected indicates that every DR-200 imported by B-West and Kimber (the only two importers of DR-200's) had 1 in 12" barrels.
If you have a DR-200 with a 1 in 7.3" barrel it would be extremely rare.
If they are out there I'd love to know about it so I could track one down...
Old July 10, 2019, 19:29   #13
Icer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
By the way, the K2 was the 'sanitized' military rifle (remove select fire ability) exported to the US for commercial sales here. Thus, a 1/185mm (1/7.3") twist makes sense.

The DR200 was a special commercial version designed to 'get around' US 'assault weapons' legislation affecting imports. It was 'designed' for commercial sales. Thus, the 1/305mm (1/12") twist suiting a varmint rifle makes sense. For all I know, Korea may have required the slower twist on the DR200s for export reasons. After all, everyone was touting the sporting rifle aspects of all these firearms at the time (aimed at the sporting rifle criterion in US import laws).

Then again, I may just be full of shit on the legislative stuff and trying to read some rationale into government actions that are usually, by definition, lacking reason...

Forrest
More than likely Daewoo simply had a bunch of 1 in 12" barrels left over from early military production runs when 1 in 12" was the standard and decided to use them on the DR-200's imported to the United States.
Makes great economic sense to unload those old barrels and US buyers weren't likely to turn their nose up at a 1 in 12" twist barrel back in those days.
Old July 10, 2019, 21:53   #14
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer View Post
More than likely Daewoo simply had a bunch of 1 in 12" barrels left over from early military production runs when 1 in 12" was the standard and decided to use them on the DR-200's imported to the United States.
Makes great economic sense to unload those old barrels and US buyers weren't likely to turn their nose up at a 1 in 12" twist barrel back in those days.
True.

And I still prefer a 1/12 barrel on mine.

But, then again, I'm old and was around back in those days...

Forrest