The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old November 28, 2017, 22:27   #1
Will C
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 65260
Remington Model 11 Project - Dive In or Run Away?

Local guy is selling an old, well-used Model 11 that dates to 1913. Externally it's in fine shape and it still functions. However it has a couple of the usual problems: the recoil buffer is gone, and the bolt is cracked in a couple spots in the left rear quadrant. No chunks missing but I'm not sure if the hairline cracks merit bolt replacement? The buffer looks like a pain to replace, and I'm not sure how much trouble it is to swap out the bolt in one of these either. The parts are out there and it's a super cool old gun, it would be neat to get it out on the duck flats again (with some bismuth or tungsten perhaps). Guy is asking $150 for the old girl. What says the hive - go for it, or run away?
Will C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017, 00:44   #2
pl521
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74645
If you need to replace the bolt or any major part, I'd run away - it's going to be difficult and expensive to find another bolt for any 100+ year old gun.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017, 05:44   #3
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
If it’s a “super cool old gun” to you, at $150, go for it.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017, 07:14   #4
flopshot
Registered

FALaholic #: 21389
Might be able to help you with the parts. Check Hog Island Gun Parts on EBAY. if there's not one listed I' look this weekend. I'm out of town this week.
Old November 29, 2017, 08:59   #5
chino*74
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75409
That's a pretty old Rem 11. I have one about 1940's vintage. Ur's also has that weird trigger activated safety I think., they did away w that on later models. As a collectable get it., if U want to fix it all up & shoot it U can get a later model with better parts availablilty for less than $350 if U look around. Cracked bolt & replace the buffer plus he wants $150? I would pass.
Old November 29, 2017, 09:06   #6
chino*74
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino*74 View Post
That's a pretty old Rem 11. I have one about 1940's vintage. Ur's also has that weird trigger activated safety I think., they did away w that on later models. As a collectable get it., if U want to fix it all up & shoot it U can get a later model with better parts availablilty for less than $350 if U look around. Cracked bolt & replace the buffer plus he wants $150? I would pass.
And yes, replacing the buffer pad requires a complete disassembly of the shotgun & drilling out the old rivet remnants, replacing the pad & installing w the rivet.
Old November 29, 2017, 10:29   #7
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by chino*74 View Post
And yes, replacing the buffer pad requires a complete disassembly of the shotgun & drilling out the old rivet remnants, replacing the pad & installing w the rivet.
WECSOG rite-of-passage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will C View Post
Guy is asking $150 for the old girl. What says the hive - go for it, or run away?
Buy this shotgun.
Do this overhaul.
Take pics.
Share.

Last edited by Story; November 29, 2017 at 10:36. Reason: DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017, 11:05   #8
chino*74
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Nice charging knob mod. I have ripped my flesh a few times on that receiver slot using the OEM charging handle. LOL.
Old November 30, 2017, 17:12   #9
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

FALaholic #: 79627
I have a fondness for the old Browning designed and derived shotguns myself (as Winchester 97, Remington Model 11, Savage 7xx, and Stevens 520/620). That said, the item under consideration here is worth maybe $150 as a wall hanger to someone who is particularly charmed by it, but not worth it as a shooter or a fixer-upper collectible. Any money put into this shotgun will likely be non-recoverable later on. I'd advise waiting for a better representative at perhaps a few more dollars, but that's JMHO. Best of fortune, whatever your decision!
Nihonto Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2017, 10:40   #10
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
"Super cool old gun".

Well of course you need that old Remy 11, go get that thing!
It will never be worth anything, but what does that have to do with a gunny project?

My old "super cool" shotgun is a Sears Model 20 pump that turned out to be made by High Standard's version of a Win M 12 back in the day when craftsmanship was in vogue and plastic and alloy were nearly unheard of. Paid $175 for the Pogue and just hope nothing breaks.

I would try finding a replacement Bolt before committing to buy if it were me. The Buffer Pad is a "Fiber Washer"? that could likely be homemade if not available.

There was a Tech Manual, TM 9-285, covering this and other Shotty's used by the gov't. at the time. It's pretty old, 1942 or thereabout, but maybe reprints are to be found, if not, Steve's pages might have it.

Good luck.
Old December 01, 2017, 14:49   #11
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

FALaholic #: 79627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
There was a Tech Manual, TM 9-285, covering this and other Shotty's used by the gov't. at the time. It's pretty old, 1942 or thereabout, but maybe reprints are to be found, if not, Steve's pages might have it.
Here is a link to an on-line copy of the mentioned manual, a very useful reference!

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/car...9_285_1942.pdf
Nihonto Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2017, 20:03   #12
Will C
Registered
Contributor

I'm leaning toward getting it provided I can find the parts at reasonable cost. Buffers and rivets are available cheap from numerous sources, the bolt not so much. Emailed Popperts about one they show in stock but no response yet. Maybe flopshot can steer me in the right direction on a replacement bolt? The one I would need has the firing pin with rectangular cross section.
Old December 01, 2017, 20:33   #13
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Keep us posted, good luck

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2017, 20:48   #14
bulletslap
Registered

FALaholic #: 8042
I own a Remington Automatic shotgun, prior to the nomenclature being changed to the Model 11, so it is pre 1911, one of my favorite 12 guages.
Old December 02, 2017, 06:38   #15
srinde
Registered

FALaholic #: 50834
I have a Winchester 1911 "widow maker" . The Remington would be a better gun.
srinde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 07:00   #16
flopshot
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will C View Post
I'm leaning toward getting it provided I can find the parts at reasonable cost. Buffers and rivets are available cheap from numerous sources, the bolt not so much. Emailed Popperts about one they show in stock but no response yet. Maybe flopshot can steer me in the right direction on a replacement bolt? The one I would need has the firing pin with rectangular cross section.
i'm going to try to look today. the shop is a mess with the last load we brought in, the new web site is being a little bitch, and the new building is formed up for a monday pour. not enough days in the week. the B.I.L. seems to think we have one.
Old December 02, 2017, 11:13   #17
flopshot
Registered

Will, can you use a round pin bolt ? we have the pin and spring as well.

this is what it looks like: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1269460
Old December 06, 2017, 20:26   #18
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
i would offer a $100.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:46   #19
Will C
Registered
Contributor

I couldn't determine if the parts flopshot offered would work. Finally found a source that has replacement bolt body with the square firing pin and got it on order along with some 12 gauge go/no go gauges. The replacement bolt may drop in and fit just fine, but the gauges should tell me if anything's goofy. I work on enough old shotguns for myself, friends and neighbors that it was time to get a set of headspace gauges for my shotgun kit. So even if the model 11 doesn't pan out I will still have a use for those tools. And worse comes to worse, I could part the gun out and make back what little investment I'd have in it. Will post again once I get further along in the project.
Old Yesterday, 05:32   #20
flopshot
Registered

glad you found your parts. gradually assembling an 11-48 as i come across the parts. might even resurrect a widow maker to hang on the wall. love old shotguns.