Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old December 01, 2017, 19:35   #51
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
A good friend of mine and a seasoned hunter/outdoorsman decided to take a hike along the Appalachian Trail to a good little fishing hole about 5 miles from his parked vehicle. 3 days later a couple of other hikers came across him sitting against a tree like he was asleep. Coroner said it a massive heart attack.

Not a bad way to die IMO.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 05:31   #52
mitchellh
Registered

FALaholic #: 16852
Old December 02, 2017, 10:19   #53
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
i would rather die of the big one in the boonies than wearing a diaper in an old folks home. if i was in a very bad situation in the boonies, say stroked out or a broken back, then it might be time to put that gun to use.
i knew a cowboy that was riding the ranch fenceline on horseback in the winter who was thrown and broke his back. he laid there freezing to death until the next day when found and carried out on a mail truck door & lived, barely. said he cried & prayed the whole time, thought he was a goner.
another cowboy was on horseback hunting near chama, nm when the horse reared up & fell backwards on him. the saddle broke several ribs. he walked several miles back to camp & drove to help.
last year i went for a mountan bike ride & crashed on a rock & thought i broke my left shoulder & had to walk back to the car, which was only about 3 miles. i had a 30 mile ride planned.
my friend & his very pregnant wife went driving one winter to a lake in the mountains & got stuck. he & his big pregnant wife walked about 10 miles that night to help.
i took my very pregnant wife , 8 months, walking in the woods, it was her idea, & a black bear charged us, i killed it within spittin range with a 9mm beretta 92.

so shiite can happen.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 18:57   #54
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Body of missing hunter Jonathan Amerson found.
Quote:
Teaming up with a DNR helicopter, searchers on foot located the 31-year-oldís body in the northern part of Phinizy Swamp Management area, where crews had pinpointed their search. Sgt. Boswell said his department was contacted Tuesday night around 8 oíclock about a lost hunter in the swamp area. That hunter was Amerson, who family members said liked to hunt for duck, deer and turkey. His brother told NewsChannel 6 he went hunting alone and he had lost contact with his family around 10:00 a.m. He added that all that turned up was his truck off Bobby Jones Expressway.
http://wjbf.com/2017/11/22/search-un...issing-hunter/

Quote:
Amerson went missing around 10 a.m. last Tuesday after telling a friend he was going duck hunting at Phinizy Swamp in Augusta, according to the coronerís office. The hunterís body was found in the swamp Wednesday afternoon.
An autopsy for Amerson was completed Friday morning at the GBI Crime Lab in Atlanta but toxicology and histology results are pending, according to Richmond County deputy coroner Kenneth Boose. Natural causes are not ruled out, he said.
http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/20...-phinizy-swamp
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 05:34   #55
Registered

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/myst...-stories-blog/

lots of woe
Old December 04, 2017, 11:40   #56
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Is it even cold in Georgia right now? The guy in Oregon you can kinda see. I guess the fuzz will figure it out,hopefully.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 16:12   #57
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
It doesn't have to be very cold for hypothermia to take hold. I've seen people in stage two hypothermia in 65 degree weather.
Old December 10, 2017, 14:31   #58
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...licopters.html

"Two hikers are rescued by helicopter after being stranded for SEVEN DAYS surrounded by alligators in the Everglades and forced to live on swamp water"

"They were found four miles north of mile marker 63 on Interstate 75 on Friday by the Collier County Sheriff's Office, who conducted a helicopter search with the National Park Service and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue. "

Ooookay....4 miles....from I-freakin'-75....
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2017, 07:55   #59
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Some folks go into the woods to hunt game animals.

I'm thinking some things go into the woods to hunt hunters.

Quote:
31-year-old Curtis Ross of Cedar Falls was reported missing on Saturday. A body was found a short time later on public hunting land near Lake Rathbun. An autopsy is being performed today by the State Medical Examiner though authorities say their initial findings have lead them to label the death a homicide.
The DCI has not identified a suspect or suspects in the investigation. However they do say any suspect should be considered armed and dangerous. Anyone living nearby or hunting in the area are being warned to be aware and report any suspicious activity.
http://whotv.com/2017/11/27/missing-...ed-a-homicide/

Speculation on motivation might make for a good movie: unhinged Animal Rights Activist would make for a good nemesis.
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2017, 08:24   #60
Registered

stanley vigil is still missing

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/new...675d13c24.html

its been over a month now