Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old July 08, 2018, 21:34   #1
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
WTK: 12 Ton Press Attachments?

Okay, so, I fell victim to the Harbor Freight July 4th sale am now the proud steward of a 12 ton shop press. I know the uses are boundless, but I made this purchase with the express intent of using for barreling and locking shoulder installs/removals.

WTF sort of attachment do I use for locking shoulders? Anyone have an photos or links? I would rather not spend a ton on a full set of xyz, but if anyone has any ideas of something that could be used effectively, and attached/detached easily, I'm all ears. Please PM me here, or txt/email me, if you've got my contact already. Thanks all ...
COBC #66
‘Need’ now means wanting someone else’s money. ‘Greed’ means wanting to keep your own. ‘Compassion’ is when a politician arranges the transfer. --J. Sobran
Capt D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 21:51   #2
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
All of your socket sets from 1/4" drive to 3/4" drive are now "attachments".

Otherwise, it is a case-by-case thing you will have to figure out when you get there.
Old July 08, 2018, 22:09   #3
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I would hesitate to use the press on locking shoulders. You have no "feel" when cranking on the handle and can very quickly FUBAR a receiver. I drive mine in with a tack hammer and if the LS has a hole in the middle of the lug end, a punch. Otherwise a brass punch.
It's hard to properly support a receiver so pressure on the sides and rails is even and if the receiver is allowed to tilt while pressing, the left side rail can be bent very easily. So unless you intend to build a special jig to support the receiver I'd skip the press for LS. I'm positive others will disagree.

I do use the press for installing barrels. A set of Ratas barrel vice halves in the press works great. No bolts to dick with. Press works great for removing and installing gas blocks, too.
Old July 08, 2018, 22:21   #4
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
There is a guy who sells a fitting that goes over the 1" ram head and has a hole for a pin. THis way you can press thingies without whatever you are using as ram does not come flying off; it does suck when you are trying to press something and either the piece or what you are using as ram start tilting. Look for AK building tools.

If you can, go to a welding shop and get some of their scrap 1/2-1" steel plate to use as additional press plates. Some you might modify to have cutouts that are useful for you.

The platform the bottle rides on has a lot of freeplay; you can come up with something to fill the gap with frame. Also do tighten down the bolts that put the frame together so it does not move.

A bucket under it might be useful to catch pins and other parts as they are pushed out.

Pins: they are great to removing pins be them FAL locking shoulders or AK/PSL/etc barrel/sight/etc pins. As said before, inserting is more interesting because the only feed back you have is your eyes. Maybe a 1 ton arbor press would work here. The press also works great for barrels that are pressed in. Or to replace bearings in steering housings and driveshafts.

Coins can be used to level pieces out. As hkshooter said, if you cannot properly support a piece, don't do it.

Last edited by raubvogel; July 10, 2018 at 05:40. Reason: Arbor NOT Harbor
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 22:28   #5
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

I guess I should have stated the caveat that I do have a pair of wood jigs that I 'milled' with the table saw, for fully supporting either side of the receiver, during locking shoulder install or removal. Said support jigs might need a little work here and there, but I do fully intend to add the material where needed prior to any attempts using with the press.
COBC #66
‘Need’ now means wanting someone else’s money. ‘Greed’ means wanting to keep your own. ‘Compassion’ is when a politician arranges the transfer. --J. Sobran
Old July 08, 2018, 23:20   #6
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
There is a guy who sells a fitting that goes over the 1" ram head...
Linky?
COBC #66
Old July 09, 2018, 03:31   #7
sjohnson
Registered

FALaholic #: 24502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt D View Post
Linky?
Perhaps the RForbus tool? https://robertforbus.com/ak-barrel-a...-ram-adapters/
sjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 09, 2018, 08:01   #8
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I would hesitate to use the press on locking shoulders. You have no "feel" when cranking on the handle and can very quickly FUBAR a receiver. I drive mine in with a tack hammer and if the LS has a hole in the middle of the lug end, a punch. Otherwise a brass punch.
It's hard to properly support a receiver so pressure on the sides and rails is even and if the receiver is allowed to tilt while pressing, the left side rail can be bent very easily. So unless you intend to build a special jig to support the receiver I'd skip the press for LS. I'm positive others will disagree.

I do use the press for installing barrels. A set of Ratas barrel vice halves in the press works great. No bolts to dick with. Press works great for removing and installing gas blocks, too.
I am with HK on this....dont think there is a need for a press to install a LS. I use a small hammer, brass punch and my lap. I dont want to press something there without a lot of touch and feel.
For barreling it should be great with a set of ratas tools.
Old July 09, 2018, 11:57   #9
imacoonass01
Registered

FALaholic #: 80275
Get this for the locking shoulders. Easy to use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old July 09, 2018, 12:29   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
D I've used offset wood blocks like you mention to keep a receiver flat and had no issues pressing in LSs with mine.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 09, 2018, 19:39   #11
Tikiman001
Registered

FALaholic #: 72392
Use a small arbor press, much better tool for the job.
Tikiman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 09, 2018, 19:54   #12
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
WTF sort of attachment do I use for locking shoulders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman001 View Post
I missed your locking shoulder comment in the OP with my previous reply Art. Tikiman is correct IMHO. You need more "feel" rather than "force" for some jobs, and this would be one.

Old July 09, 2018, 20:00   #13
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
Get this for the locking shoulders. Easy to use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use that on most of the rivets, like charging handle knob (metric and inch), rat tail rivet, inch rear sight leaf, etc. Does it have enough reach to get over the shaft of the locking shoulder or are you pressing against the dog leg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman001 View Post
You need a cheater bar on a 2-ton arbor press, so you may want to define "small".

I personally use a press to push them and a hammer to take them out. But I've only done a few dozen without any problems and I know there are people that have done considerable more that use the hammer method. YMMV.

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 09, 2018, 22:23   #14
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I strongly recommend against using a hydraulic press for locking shoulders. You have zero control over the force required - no way to tell if anything is wrong. I balance the barrel on my left thigh with the receiver on the bench and my left foot on my right knee like a flamingo.

Tap with a hammer and punch so you can feel the pressure. Should take moderate strikes. If you have to bash it, STOP 'cause something is wrong.

12 ton press is great for AK rear trunion rivets, but no - not for the FAL.
Old July 10, 2018, 05:25   #15
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
WOW! It's almost as if GP has watched ME tap in locking shoulders

I do the same thing ^^^^^. It gives a great "feel" of the amount of force needed to send the locking shoulder home. Again, I repeat as others have, you need to have this "feature" when installing locking shoulders. It really does help indicate if there is a problem, a overly tight or loose locking shoulder hole, etc.

As far as the press goes, do indeed go get more plates. I commonly use 10" long X 1" thick by 3" wide plates, several different diameters of tube that has been lathed/squared on each end, two more 3/4" thick X 5" wide X 10" long plates with different sized "U" cutouts on each side and every size socket you can name with my press. Also, put a large rag or some such under the vise for when delicate or small things are pressed out. This will catch them when they fall free from the press.

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018, 08:36   #16
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUUN063 View Post
Also, put a large rag or some such under the vise for when delicate or small things are pressed out. This will catch them when they fall free from the press.
I use carpet samples.
Old July 11, 2018, 22:11   #17
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

Fcuk using a hammer ... just pressed one out, then the correct one in, using a heavy vice. I'm sold.
COBC #66
Old July 11, 2018, 22:32   #18
olddominion
Registered

FALaholic #: 63474
Hope you had your bolt carrier and charging handle installed when you used vise.
olddominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 00:02   #19
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

In the past, there have been some who criticized me for using a hammer and punch (never use a hammer directly, as you can break the dogleg), as somehow "unprofessional". Until I post the pictures from the Australian Technical Brochure Supplement 1977 showing - a hammer! "Shoulder locking replacement, fig 39-43. Yes, in Technical Brochure, they use a hydraulic press, but in the supplement, it is a hammer.

After almost 30 years of experience and thousands of rifles, the "feel" of a hammer and punch, lets me know if something is not right, while a press does not. I have 2x 12 ton and a 20ton hydraulic presses and 2 arbor presses. I still use a hammer and punch for a reason. A hydraulic press without a strain gauge gives no indication of how much force is required. With DSA receivers having a pattern of undersize locking shoulder holes, do you really want 12 tons pressure driving a part into the wrong sized hole?

https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.c...op-tour-07.jpg
Old July 12, 2018, 01:08   #20
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
COBC#66 Cool.

Quote:
Okay, so, I fell victim to the Harbor Freight July 4th sale am now the proud steward of a 12 ton shop press. I know the uses are boundless, but I made this purchase with the express intent of using for barreling and locking shoulder installs/removals.

WTF sort of attachment do I use for locking shoulders? Anyone have an photos or links? I would rather not spend a ton on a full set of xyz, but if anyone has any ideas of something that could be used effectively, and attached/detached easily, I'm all ears. Please PM me here, or txt/email me, if you've got my contact already. Thanks all ...

I found with presses that I do more things for others than my own, just the nature of having the tool, now if you want to get info from some one who doesn't want to talk the press gives you More Power to work with, otherwise vise grips, a Propane torch are all you need.

I have a Need for a Ginger root press and I like Ciders, You are smart and will find your own unique uses I am sure. Did you get or have a welder to go with the press? That will be handy if you do. Enjoying some Real Ginger ale, makes me Not so cranky.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote