Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old July 17, 2018, 13:26   #1
arfreak223
Registered

FALaholic #: 28903
Barrel Threads Prep

Hello all,

I am about to remove the barrel this weekened from the stub of my imbel kit.

My plan is to then run the threads over the wire wheel of my bench grinder to remove anything left in the threads.

I am wondering what most folks do(if anything) to put on the threads before re-installing back onto the receiver I have seen talk of Anti-seize and Loc tite? If I dont plan to ever remove the barrel again is any of that necessary?

Thanks.
Old July 17, 2018, 13:43   #2
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Just a bit of anti-sieze, after you've chased the threads with a die. do NOT use Lok-Tite.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 15:31   #3
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfreak223 View Post
Hello all,

I am about to remove the barrel this weekened from the stub of my imbel kit.

My plan is to then run the threads over the wire wheel of my bench grinder to remove anything left in the threads.

I am wondering what most folks do(if anything) to put on the threads before re-installing back onto the receiver I have seen talk of Anti-seize and Loc tite? If I dont plan to ever remove the barrel again is any of that necessary?

Thanks.
The threads on a FAL barrel require the same as Model 70s, Garands, Mausers, Springfields, Model 94 lever actions, et cetera.

Nothing.

ETA: If there is a little lubrication needed , I use aerosol brake cleaner. The surface only has to stay wet for 30 seconds.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 18:57   #4
olddominion
Registered

FALaholic #: 63474
Wire wheel the threads is fine. I refrain from using a die to chase threads. First FAL I assembled was an IMBEL and from my experience the die removed too much material from threads, made them too thin. A thread file works to clean up threads, also valve lapping compound on threads to mate to receiver if fit seems too tight. When using compound just snug and loosen to work threads together. Good luck
olddominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018, 08:23   #5
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I like these guys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LEGYPK. https://www.webbikeworld.com/repair-...s-thread-file/ has some good explanation on how to use it.

And agree about running a die in the threads. Maybe finding a nut would be better?

Last edited by raubvogel; August 03, 2018 at 08:16.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018, 08:40   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Anti seize. You never know if you may want to change up the configuration in a couple of years. I put it on the locking shoulder too.

You will probably get an understanding trying to remove the receiver stub. There's a good chance it's not going to just spin off.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote