The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old February 11, 2019, 16:15   #1
annamay
Registered

FALaholic #: 80641
FTF, cases catching on chamber?

I have a FAL that jams when the round is about halfway into the chamber. The jammed round gets a gouge on the shoulder of the case, pic here: https://i.imgur.com/snl4biO.jpg

Anyone know what could be causing this? I thought it looked like the case might be catching on the edge of the chamber where the extractor sits. The rifle extracts cartridges with no problems and sometimes can cycle a couple rounds without jamming. When it does cycle without jamming, cartridges exhibit no strange gouges or scratches. Unfortunately I did not take a photo of the jam when it happened and I can not get it to jam when hand cycling. However, when hand cycled, cases appear to get dented in a similar spot, pic here: https://i.imgur.com/nJERF2B.jpg

Here is a photo of the chamber if it might help: https://i.imgur.com/8X39brM.jpg
I thought it looked like it's catching on the part of the chamber where the extractor sits. That part of it seems a little sharper than on another barrel I have.

Anyone seen this before? I'm not super experienced with FAL's.
annamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 16:48   #2
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Improper edge relief at the extractor cut.

DSA barrel by chance ?

tdb59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 16:51   #3
annamay
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
Improper edge relief at the extractor cut.

DSA barrel by chance ?

No clue, can't find any markings on it, maybe I didn't look hard enough. Would rounding over the edge at the extractor cut more and polishing it help?
Old February 11, 2019, 18:34   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Looks bubba on the chamber chamfer etc. What's the upper and build? It's gonna need another barrel IMO. The upper may have an issue for bubba to have to get down to business

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 19:30   #5
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamay View Post
No clue, can't find any markings on it, maybe I didn't look hard enough. Would rounding over the edge at the extractor cut more and polishing it help?
Best is to pull the barrel, slightly deepen and polish the leading edge of the extractor cut, and reassemble.

It does not need much.

Pics of FN chamber mouth-

Old February 11, 2019, 19:38   #6
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Ouch!
Old February 12, 2019, 00:33   #7
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
It looks more like some weird cuts in the front of the mag-well. I'm doing a side by side look, comparing yours with my SAR48 by Imbel. There's a ledge above your right feed ramp. Not on the Imbel. Also the front of the Imbel mag-well is one smooth surface with round corners. The top front of your mag well looks like a separate part with the feed ramps cut into it. It also forms the top of the oddly oversize mag beak relief. This piece or the mag well cut is likely catching the shoulder. I don't think the barrel is doing anything to your brass. Who's upper is it?
kysjck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 04:34   #8
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Feed ramps are jacked.
Don't do anything to the barrel.
Receiver looks cast, who made it?
Old February 12, 2019, 10:20   #9
boman
Registered

FALaholic #: 395
Quote:
There's a ledge above your right feed ramp.
That's what I'm seeing also---If the dent in a cartridge is only on those feeding from the right hand side of the magazine that "ledge" is most likely the culprit.

Steve
Old February 12, 2019, 10:49   #10
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
What is that in the chamber? Has the rifle recently had a round stuck and was not fully removed before attempting to chamber a new round? Partial case in chamber? Receiver is inch cut. Are you using an inch magazine?
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 11:03   #11
annamay
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
Best is to pull the barrel, slightly deepen and polish the leading edge of the extractor cut, and reassemble.

It does not need much.

I'm going to try this first and test it out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysjck View Post
It looks more like some weird cuts in the front of the mag-well. I'm doing a side by side look, comparing yours with my SAR48 by Imbel. There's a ledge above your right feed ramp. Not on the Imbel. Also the front of the Imbel mag-well is one smooth surface with round corners. The top front of your mag well looks like a separate part with the feed ramps cut into it. It also forms the top of the oddly oversize mag beak relief. This piece or the mag well cut is likely catching the shoulder. I don't think the barrel is doing anything to your brass. Who's upper is it?
It's a CAI rifle. Could you circle the places you're referring to? This is the first of these rifles I've personally owned I'm not very experienced with them other than shooting other peoples rifles. The jams I've been getting are definitely catching on the edge of the chamber though, I haven't had any problems with it stripping cartridges from the magazine and feeding them up. The round is already in line with the bolt and partly into the chamber when the jam occurs. The rounded gouge in the brass looks to me like it would be caused by the edge of the chamber where it catches. I'm more than willing to do some work on the receiver as well to get this rifle working. How is it supposed to look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
What is that in the chamber? Has the rifle recently had a round stuck and was not fully removed before attempting to chamber a new round? Partial case in chamber? Receiver is inch cut. Are you using an inch magazine?
Nothing in the chamber. Are you sure it's inch? The receiver says "Metric" on it and metric mags fit and lock perfectly.
Old February 12, 2019, 11:10   #12
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I'm going to try this first and test it out again.

Excellent.

Some of us have actually seen this type of malfunction before.

Old February 12, 2019, 18:40   #13
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Quote:
Nothing in the chamber. Are you sure it's inch? The receiver says "Metric" on it and metric mags fit and lock perfectly.
Looking at it a second time it looks metric. My small screen throws me off, thought that cut went all the way across. The arrow is pointing to what I saw in the chamber. As for metric mags in inch receivers, metrics fit in inch but inch do not fit in metric.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7045.JPG (36.1 KB, 100 views)
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 21:20   #14
lysanderxiii
Registered

FALaholic #: 70039
Quote:
I have a FAL that jams when the round is about halfway into the chamber. The jammed round gets a gouge on the shoulder of the case, pic here: https://i.imgur.com/snl4biO.jpg

Anyone know what could be causing this? I thought it looked like the case might be catching on the edge of the chamber where the extractor sits. The rifle extracts cartridges with no problems and sometimes can cycle a couple rounds without jamming. When it does cycle without jamming, cartridges exhibit no strange gouges or scratches. Unfortunately I did not take a photo of the jam when it happened and I can not get it to jam when hand cycling. However, when hand cycled, cases appear to get dented in a similar spot, pic here: https://i.imgur.com/nJERF2B.jpg

Here is a photo of the chamber if it might help: https://i.imgur.com/8X39brM.jpg
I thought it looked like it's catching on the part of the chamber where the extractor sits. That part of it seems a little sharper than on another barrel I have.

Yup, in 1956.

In the case of the T48, the cause was the rim not getting under the extractor.

EDIT: Don't hand cycle live ammunition for diagnostic purposes, it ain't safe.

Last edited by lysanderxiii; February 12, 2019 at 21:29.
lysanderxiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 21:38   #15
lysanderxiii
Registered

Out of curiosity, is the extractor a one-piece with the bent wire spring, or the two-piece with the coil spring?
Old February 12, 2019, 23:33   #16
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
The separate part that includes the feed ramps, had a relief cut in the receiver to fit into. The offending sharp edge that tears the cartridge shoulder is either the edge of the part or the edge of the cut out at the top front right corner of the mag well. The damage especially in comparison with the T48 image, is different, not symmetrical. Here is the offending part;

https://imgur.com/3YLzuBv
kysjck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2019, 14:40   #17
Niner555
Registered

FALaholic #: 75446
Quote:

I had this exact problem and a small .015" chamfer on the sharp edge of the extractor cut on the chamber fixed everything.....see my post from a few years ago:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=41
Niner555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2019, 18:25   #18
lysanderxiii
Registered