Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post

Are you suturing with monofiliament?
Old November 14, 2014, 20:55   #102
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
No, I am sewing with Ethicon Proline Blue Monofilament. If suturing use a self dissolving material. Big difference between internal sutureres and external stitches.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2014, 21:35   #103
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Most here have reached the age or are getting to it where lots of aches and pains that the old aspirin, ibuprophen and other over the counter drugs won't touch. Problem is for most part doctors don't write pain meds beyond one script of moderate pain killers without you enrolling in a pain clinic contract. So what to do, a product called Lidoderm Patches are wondeful apply to area of pain, lidocaine slowly absorbs through skin into affected area and actually is effective for over 24 hours even though instructions say to not wear over 12 hours. As non narcotic doctors are not afraid to write the script but till just this year the script was not the issue. Originally developed to treat shingles and post shingles nerve pain has been found to work on pain in almost any muscular or joint issues, especially low back pain.

400 dollars per box was the deal unless your insurance has good prescription coverage. I have been stockpiling them for years. Luckily this year they finally rolled into a generic option. While my copay was 30 bucks for two boxes per month, now its 15 bucks. Your doctor can write the script for one or two boxes per month. My insurance the copay is same if he writes for one or two. If in same boat be sure your doctor writes for two boxes. The instructions that come with them say they actually are effective quite longer than 12 hours but not to wear longer. I restick to backing film and reuse with great results a second day. Thus every month, I put a months in reserve. This is just one rathole I have of the wonderful patches. Hip hurts, slap one on and in about 30 minutes you notice that your pain level has reduced significantly. I use on shoulders, back, hips, thighs, neck and about anywhere the pain is more than I can stand without direct intervension. Best is they only treat area that actually hurts. Instructions say up to three a day for 12 hours. I usually put two on in morning, remove before shower applying backing carefully, reapply next day and seem to work as good as first. After second I pitch in trash and start fresh. Mine go on lumbar spine and left hip. Without them I am sure I would have had my hip surgery two years ago or more. Every year I put it off they get better at them and build better hardware. In a survival situation having several dozen boxes could carry you through a lot of otherwise painful days. I use every day except for week following my Radio Frequency Abaltions (look those up for minimally invasive pain management I have 9th of the year tomorrow) and Epidurals. So by using two days instead of one, skipping the week following procedure because use oral meds for post operative pain, over the course of five years, I have enough for two every other day for another five years. Nice to know they are stockpiled that far into future. FWI, If a doctor decides you need 5 mg of drug x per day. If script written for 10 mg cost is same with insurance deductible and without price increase usually negligable. Cut pills in half, always work from oldest bottle and if real survival situation occurs then you have enough stockpiled to last till chain of distribution is reestablished or not. Then you start cutting back and rationing as stocks dwindle in effort to not die before becomes available again. Some medications are only formulated in one factory and if it burned or destroyed by weather event, may take months to get another facility into production. Think us peons will be the ones getting the limited supply? I have minimum six months stock of every medicine required for wife and I even her 2,000 plus per month bone medicine. It costs to do so but unless we die, going to be used and if die it doesn't matter.

One of my rat holes of patches. Have two years stock in one of the vaults with other important medications:

Use Lidoderm patch as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.Lidoderm patch is only to be used on intact, clean, dry skin. Do not apply Lidoderm patch to broken, damaged, or inflamed skin.Wash your hands before and immediately after using Lidoderm patch.Remove the liner on the patch. Apply the patch so that it covers the painful area. If the painful area is larger than the patch, apply the patch over the most painful area. Patches may also be cut into smaller sizes before removing the liner if desired. Be sure to discard the unused pieces of cut patches out of the reach of children and pets.If irritation or burning occurs when you apply the patch, remove it. Do not reapply any patches until the irritation stops.Patches may be worn for up to 12 hours within a 24-hour period as directed by your doctor. Clothing may be worn over the area where the patch is applied.After removing a patch, fold it in half with the sticky sides together. Discard the patch out of reach of children and away from pets. Do not apply another patch to the same area of skin for 12 hours.If you miss a dose of Lidoderm patch, use the dose when you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor. Do not use Lidoderm patch for more than 12 hours in a 24-hour period. Do not use 2 doses sooner than 12 hours apart.Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lidoderm patch.

Important safety information:

Lidoderm patch is for external use only. Avoid contact with your eyes, nose, and mouth. If you get Lidoderm patch in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool water.Lidoderm patch may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Lidoderm patch with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Lidoderm patch before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.Lidoderm patch will cause a numbing effect at the application site. Do not scratch, rub, or expose the area to extreme hot or cold temperatures until the numbness is gone.Do NOT use more medicine, apply more often, or use for longer than prescribed. Your condition will not improve faster, but the risk of side effects may be increased.Lidoderm patch may cause harm if it is chewed or swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your*poison control center*or emergency room right away.Do not place sources of heat (eg, heating pad, electric blanket) over the patch; they may increase the risk of Lidoderm patch's side effects.Use Lidoderm patch with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.Lidoderm patch should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed. CHILDREN may be more sensitive to the effects of Lidoderm patch.PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Lidoderm patch while you are pregnant. Lidoderm patch is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Lidoderm patch, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old December 14, 2014, 23:58   #104
CeeKay
Registered

FALaholic #: 27438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgsmth View Post
You used to be able to buy (~45cc) bottles) of 15% benzocaine (Liquid Oragel). Maybe you still can. This pooled in a deep cut would probably anesthetize the area if given about 10 minutes or perhaps more. It is mostly alcohol and the cure may be worse than the injury at first but suturing is a prolonged process. This sort of use would minimize any systemic dispersement of the drug and, although it is clearly labelled "Not for internal use" should not cause any tissue death and probably can be considered sterile due to the alcohol content.
Actually, I do believe you can still get Orajel with the benzocaine, but I'd be a bit worried about side-effects of using it for anything but toothaches... The entry on drugs.com says it may cause methemoglobinemia even if used orally, so I'd be very careful about it...

Quote:
I have also had excellent results closing some wounds with super glue. Bear in mind that super glues are "Cyanoacrylics" with emphasis on the "Cyano.." as it is a cyanide derivitave. I do not believe there is any appreciable systemic uptake of cyanide when so used but that is only from my own experience.
Same. Most of my cuts and such I'll close with superglue because it's easier, cleaner, and doesn't fall off like a band-aid... And because I use a lot of it on R/C and static models, so it's always around and usually in far closer proximity than band-aids... Also, isn't the "liquid stitches" thing basically just CA glue anyway?

Quote:
Another thing that hasn't been brought up is street narcotics. That is all I will say on that subject except that these can be deadly as well.
I'd agree that it would probably be easier to find street narcotics than lab-grade pharmaceuticals in SHTF and would most likely be cheaper too... But as far as prepping goes, I wouldn't much like to have a balloon of heroin or cocaine in my BOB until rule of law is a thing of the (fairly distant) past... The whole "controlled substance" thing plus authorities, etc... Also, I wouldn't trust a few grams of ANY drug that had been sitting for a few years, as I am not very well-versed in the breakdown of these chemicals... And yes, expired meds CAN be fatal!

Now for my own pro-tip: If I can't stop bleeding with band-aid, superglue, or pressure and gauze, I'll reach for one of my many tourniquets (thanks, Army!) and try to find someone more medically-inclined than I... If it's worse than that, I dunno what to tell ya....... As for sutures, I think your best bet is the most sugar-free drinkable alcohol you can find (a good small bottle of Everclear could save your life in many more ways than one)... Administer a few ounces of the fluid orally, then administer a small amount to the wound topically to sterilize, then stitch or cauterize... If it's in a really sensitive area, you may want to carry a patch of leather so you can wrap a stick for your patient to bite down on...

- CK

P.s. Is Codeine still OTC in some form or the other? If I recall correctly, it's opiate-derived, so it has similar effects to morphine and heroin... Could be useful if it's still OTC...

Member and Counsellor, FALaholics FNonymous.

"Everyone imposes his own system as far as his army can reach"

- Joseph Stalin

Quote:
Originally posted by GOVT1911
There is no doubt that when there is a laser directed at you, you are a triggerpull away from 72 virgins.

Last edited by CeeKay; December 15, 2014 at 00:03.
CeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2014, 08:45   #105
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

No codine in over the counter medicines. I have found if a person builds out a nice med kit, not a Walmart or CVS mix of bandaids and alcohol preps, make appointment with a doctor in which you have an ongoing relationship. If you actually have a nice kit, demonstrate knowledge to use it, they will write you a few scripts to help along with instructions. My eye kit goes to eye doctor every year. My dental kit goes to dentist. My injectibles go to a doctor I have seen for over 20 years. When he sees 10 percocets left in bottle from broken wrist three years ago realizes not abusing. He takes the way out of date pills and gives script for 30 and next year if still in kit, relationship continues. Same.with Lydocaine both with and without epi. If bottles mostly intact, he replaces when date.expires. After 20 years, my kits have never lacked for Torodol and Morphine. He sees that items on inventory list still intact or log entry as to when, where and why used. In 20 years only two doses of my top tier meds used and had pictures of victims laying either bleeding or bandaged and being transported. Getting a recognizeable and respected certification for emergency first aid and reason to carry jump kit helps.
Old April 28, 2015, 09:38   #106
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Lidoderm patches mentioned above went generic end of last year. Now called Lydocaine Patch 5%. Price drop was huge. With my insurance are $7.50 per box. Understand if willing to shop Internet and use some U.S.A., Canadian and other foreign mail order pharmacies under $50 per box. If you have prescription coverage get doctor to write script for two patches per day and will get two boxes in one prescription copay. I put one on back every day and two on bad days. End up archiving 9 to 10 boxes per year. Here is what they look like now. Some days the patch (s) are difference between taking narcotic pain meds or not.

Old May 01, 2015, 08:38   #107
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Being treated for severe tendenosis in left leg around areas affected by double compound fracture and then 17 different titanium pieces used to put leg back together was getting to point where pain was never ending and even the big green pill that takes away all pain could not keep up.

Doctor treating says the tendons locking up had affected the way I walk to point was adding to back pain and due to poor ergonomics of posture would need a knee replacement and hip replacement inside of 10 years. Claims most knee and hip replacements could be avoided if patient or doctor realized improper posture or ergonomics and corrected initial issue before joint wore out. After working on getting tendons to loosen up and aggressive manipulation of joints gave me a series of Marcaine injections in affected tendons. Was like someone removed the 100 yellow jackets that have been living in leg past year stinging me.

Before I left, bottle he used was over half empty and asked if I could have it to shoot tendons myself if went to hurting again before next visit in two weeks. He gladly gave it to me. This morning woke up sore from all the work he did yesterday and yellow jackets were back. Loaded up syringe and five injections later no pain in leg or ankle. Can't juice myself every day without causing more issues but when bad, this stuff lasts a lot longer than lidocaine. It's called Marcaine™*Bupivacaine Hydrochloride Injection, USP. Get some if you can.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:49   #108
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Recently picked up a wound on my hand that has been most uncomfortable during the work day. Dug in kit and put a small blob of lidocaine 5% ointment on it and put new bandage. In ten minutes went from pain slowing my production 40% to full speed ahead. It's especially painful when running a wrench or hammer, sweat get in it or solvents. Now I carry the tube handy and three times a day clean wound with alcohol prep, add a spot of lidocaine cream and rebandage. Then according to activity am good for three to five hours before need to repeat.

Cool thing is when checked date, it had expired over a decade ago and still works fine. This tube has been in my primary travel kit that goes with me in truck every day or on motorcycle trips. It has been to South America several times and Europe. It has been in truck at 120 degrees or in backpack on Mt Washington in New Hampshire at minus 30 degrees. This tube has seen me through several injuries and will finish this one and still be in kit. Called doctor and got a prescription for a replacement with six refills. Will get one a month then when done going to make sure and get a script per year and add a couple tubes per year to make sure have plenty on hand.

A couple years ago had to sew a guy up and didn't have my lidocaine bottle in motorcycle kit. Once cleaned wound, squirted a glob of this in and massaged it around and into cut and ten minutes later sewed him up without him complaining of significant discomfort. Most any doctor should write you a script for a few tubes.

Last edited by hueyville; May 26, 2015 at 10:57. Reason: Add Photograph
Old May 28, 2015, 19:45   #109
CivyBlue
Registered

FALaholic #: 74166
Damn HVille....you sound like the bionic man! Plus it seems to me u could potentially open your own pharmacy/trauma center.

BTW thanks for all the info, really helps complete my BOB and back up IFAKs. Now if I could only find a cooler to store blood and plasma...
Old June 29, 2015, 16:42   #110
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

In the past Lidocaine products have been prescription. As of July 1 in Georgia Lidocaine cream and Lidoderm patches at 4% strength are available over the counter. 5% is still prescription but 4% products are hitting the shelves so go stock your kits up. My guess is a 1% difference in strength is not significant. Have a tube of 4% and a box of 4% patches to try just for grins. For me, 5% will be cheaper due to insurance. If you have a good prescription plan that picks up the 5% products don't waste money by using OTC. Like Flonase is now available OTC at $27 bottle. If I hand pharmacist a script, get a different bottle with same compound but $15 copay on insurance. Odd how something can be OTC and prescription at same time, pharmacist said never had issues like this till Nobamacare messed everything up.Don't know if this is applicable to all states as a move by the Feds or just a Georgia thing. Be sure to check because both are great items to stock up on.
Old May 22, 2016, 02:21   #111
Conelrad
Registered

FALaholic #: 76462
An OTC pain cream...

I discovered this: Dr. Numb

Looks to be lido & benzo 5%.

Rub it on, works OK.

Bought mine on eBay, there are lots of choices up to 20%.

Dennis
Old March 06, 2018, 05:25   #112
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Please only use this info if world goes sideways and can only give strong hint to what I am implyimg. If have a toothache there is a common place people go. Every room has a set of manifold gauges that attach to a hose then mask so when they start poking sharp tools in broken tooth it doesn't suck as a bad. To feed gas to a dozen exam rooms it takes a fairly large bottle and if runs dry in middle of day can't send all patients home so there is usually a spare. Due to OSHA and other agencies they can't be stored indoors as if leak can cause all occupants to get a tad goofy then maybe blow building sky high if spark is introduced. Amazingly these facilities usually have a small well ventilated outbuilding attached to side of building designed to leak and not build pressure to cause explosion. Many are just studs covered with vinyl siding and a standard exterior locking door. The vinyl siding can be snatched out with bare hands most cases and your staring at working bottle plus spare. If SHTF and your bugging out or bugging home these people are going to be doing same, not worrying about their bottles. Most are watched by cameras now, some have alarms, some have neither. So as you bolt to destination if made really quick stop odds are could make off with a couple of large bottles sized to feed an entire building full of patients with zero opposition. This is three or four felonies but if world has gone totally sideways all resources will be first come, first served. Do not use recreationally as living post SHTF will be times someone needs stitches, tooth fixed or pulled, broken bone set and such a bottle in your possession will make thsee situations much more pleasant for victim. Yes, big wad of text with no paragraph breaks but trying to make this post in manner that confuses the search bots and keeps the info to people that visit here. This is not the gas you run your car off though some use a non medical grade version to add horse power. May pull this post in a few days after core group has read it as could give some odd people ideas that would cause a lot of issues and make future procurement of this commodity much more difficult. I know of five of these facilities inside of two miles from the Ponderosa. While none have had a bottle go missing yet, SHTF and most will have misplaced bottles from what some people have alluded to in past. Think about this, look closely at these facilities and possibly plan a quick stop as running home or bugging out. Pain management will huge if have to do a rude procedure.
Old May 20, 2018, 18:42   #113
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
No codine in over the counter medicines. I have found if a person builds out a nice med kit, not a Walmart or CVS mix of bandaids and alcohol preps, make appointment with a doctor in which you have an ongoing relationship. If you actually have a nice kit, demonstrate knowledge to use it, they will write you a few scripts to help along with instructions. My eye kit goes to eye doctor every year. My dental kit goes to dentist. My injectibles go to a doctor I have seen for over 20 years. When he sees 10 percocets left in bottle from broken wrist three years ago realizes not abusing. He takes the way out of date pills and gives script for 30 and next year if still in kit, relationship continues. Same.with Lydocaine both with and without epi. If bottles mostly intact, he replaces when date.expires. After 20 years, my kits have never lacked for Torodol and Morphine. He sees that items on inventory list still intact or log entry as to when, where and why used. In 20 years only two doses of my top tier meds used and had pictures of victims laying either bleeding or bandaged and being transported. Getting a recognizeable and respected certification for emergency first aid and reason to carry jump kit helps.
Well not totally accurate
If you are close to Canada you can buy over the counter Coidene and lawfully return with I think either a 50 or maybe 100 count bottle. Before Dumbya it was like 200 or 400 at a time
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote