The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old July 04, 2018, 12:29   #101
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Midway is running a 4th of July sale with free shipping on $99. Only thing of significant note for me was price of 22 Nosler ammo. Their 50 count boxes of 62 grain Varmageddon is $25 and can't by the components to assemble it for that. Their 77 grain 22 Nosler loading is only $14 per box. They run the stuff on sale fairly often and since still a new cartridge building inventory for me so to speak still trying to stock up on brass and when can buy loaded ammo almost as cheap as empty brass keep buying the stuff when on sale.

Have one rifle sighted in for the Varmageddon which is my varmint load of choice, a second for the 77 grain ammo as bought so much of both and only worked up one hand load thus far. When got so heavy in 5.56 M855A1 pulls had to work up a 22 Nosler loading for them. People that are paying $5 per round for M855A1 and think they have magic in a brass case need to consider that same projectile at another 300+ fps.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 10:25   #102
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Cheapest barrel I've seen yet. I haven't had any issues with my Vet's freebie barrel. Not going to win any competitions with it, but probably great for "WRONG HOUSE MOTHER$#$@#!!!!" purposes in the 14.5" length.

REAL cheap barrel...
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2018, 12:12   #103
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I use a lot of single point slings on my poodle shooters. If it gets a collapsible stock or is a pistol build all get a two side single point sling adapter in place of standard receiver end plate. Allows nice weight distribution and myriad of carry styles. Have paid as much as $50 for name brand single point slings and as little as $9.99 to go on give away or junk box build rifles. Purchased four from same fleabay vendor who specifically advertised as air soft reproductions but decided to order four as two were going on give aways and other pair will either get pushed to back of vault till I die or give them away unless AR's see prices double or more when Dems get White House back.

When the most recent $10 fleabay versions arrived was impressed by their quality. Seams were well sewn and if made in China were no "made in China" labels. Buckles are strong and has nice padded clip attachment. Also each came with the same basic single point sling adapter usually buy from Palmetto which is $6 item itself. Pulled one of the tan and one of the green and put on rifles I use and carried for a couple weeks. Have since ordered six more as vendor has different colors come in stock. He may only have one color this week, three colors next week then be back to one color or out of stock. If want a budget sling with adapter these meet my seal of approval for budget builds and who knows, if continue to hold up may find their way on some nice rifles. Fleabay seller mgs_warehousedeals.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old August 04, 2018, 11:12   #104
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Picked up one of these for $400 off a local board. He said it was too heavy.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-...-fastfire.html
Old August 04, 2018, 15:13   #105
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Picked up one of these for $400 off a local board. He said it was too heavy.
Have basically same setup on at least a dozen AR's but most have Vortex 1-6x, Leupold 2-7x Firedot or Leupold Mk AR's in 3-9x and 4-12x in PEPR mounts with Burris Fastfire and Vortex red dots. Due to cost of $100 for the PEPR versus $50 per set on Burris Xtreme scope mounts and rings which are lighter than the PEPR I now pull one of the two tops rings from all my PEPR's and swap for one of the top rings from the Xtreme mounts so get same result at half the cost.

The 16" short gas FAL with AAC 762SDN-6 suppressor next to bed has one of the LTR dust covers user nearmisses used to sell on the board with 1-4x illuminated reticle and Burris Fastfire on top. Sure is a lost resource since he seems to have stopped producing them. I bought a couple of spares before he quit selling them and out of necessity had to make up a couple of inch versions myself. Between hand seamer, finger brake, a few spot welds and grinder can fit my dust covers to an FAL so that the LTR style scope mount is most stable of any have tried and much more elegant. Was even able to mill a piece of pic rail just right that was able to get a Vortex Viper red dot to cowitness with the iron sights on an L1a1. Hope he gets back to making them as its a nice product for the community.

Have grown so accustomed to 1x red dots they are appearing on all sorts of rifles. Was walking to a South Georgia elevated deer blind just at sunrise thus legal killing time and just light enough to see when spooked a nice buck in the eight to ten point range but had a 7mm Practical for 600 to 900 yard shots topped with an older Leupold VX3 8.5-25 and even though scope was dialed down to 8.5 was no way to pick up the fast moving deer at close range with such narrow field of view. Could not tell if looking at hair of its butt, neck or bark of a tree trunk. That 7mm now has a 1x red dot sitting on top of rear ring. Other 7mm Practical has a 5-25x but rotate the two so don't prematurely burn out their throats as builder is retired.

Have 22-250's, 25-06's, various 7mm's, 300 Win Mag and more bolt rifles sprouting red dots over rear ring now just in case have to cross a rice paddy and a Vietcong hops up at 25 yards with a Chinese AK. Really it's for any situation like trying to pick up a ground hog running toward his hole 40 feet away from me and can't find him in my high power varmint scope. Most scopes on rifles use regularly that do not go below 6x have a red dot on top of rear ring that I turn on when load rifle to walk to blind or wherever plan to set up a shooting position. On AR's even many of my scopes that have 1x bottom range still nail a red dot for fast moving targets on them.

At one time would not consider the previous generation of Sightmark 1x red dots that were bottom of price range at $49 retail with off, low and high power settings. Got a couple or three in junk box trades and when building a junk box spare parts rifle started using them with some of the no name free scopes I get hanging around LGS. Stuck one on the 16" FAL and tried to see if repeated 7.62 NATO mag dumps and abuse would kill it. Could not kill any of those cheap Sightmark red dots so when they dropped to $19 each as new series was replacing them purchased two dozen and none have died yet and most are mounted on something that gets used.

Still use Vortex, SIG and Burris on nice fighting rifles but the cheap red dot beats no red dot when suprised by CQB situation with a ground hog, coyote or deer. The Burris PEPR mount was what got me addicted to having a dot on my scoped rifles and more I use them more rifles get them added when pulled from back of a vault for service. All my night vision rifles have them as well in case I have to fall back to one during daylight.

Mid week had friend driving while taking wife to several doctors appointments while I am still recovering from new back injury and procedures. Stopped by work to grab a couple red dots for rifles had found needing them and found a box with four SIG Romeo 5 red dots forgot had purchased. Brought two home and looking for rifles that may need them. With an 8.5 pound weight restriction (lift nothing heavier than a gallon of milk) in third week if not for my rimfire rifles life would be boring as can't even pull handle on progressive reloading machines right now. Had more AR 15 and ballistics books arrive yesterday so getting a lot of reading done along with shooting a lot of rimfire so will be swaging lots of 5.56 boolits using the cases.
Old August 13, 2018, 10:38   #106
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

It is officially as cheap to build an AR 10 as it is an AR 15. This is one hell of a deal to me...

PSA Upper

PSA Lower

Last edited by jhend170; August 13, 2018 at 10:45.
Old August 13, 2018, 14:21   #107
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
Yep that's a butt kicken price alright it wasn't long ago that price would have been close to doubled.

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2018, 16:21   #108
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Saw link over at 6.8 Forums where Brownell's has their LWRC 6.8 spc II bolts either on sale again or still on sale for $54. Bought two at least two months ago and put them in my two most abusive 6.8's the 7.5" piston drive AR pistol with Battle Arms Development short 4" buffer assembly and a gas fed 12.5" with KAK Shockwave pistol kit and brace. Both of these AR pistols have binary triggers and the 7.5" 1:7 (very fast twist for 6.8 to stabilize heavy subsonics) with full power ammo and can snapped on is super aggressive even with gas adjusted. The 12.5" gas fed is also running hard with DI gas system as normally use MGI Rate Reduction buffers in my binary builds to keep them in the 500 to 600 rpm cyclic rate range.

With the Battle Arms Development tiny little buffer and the KAK pistol buffer these pistols run a honest 800 to 900 rpm cyclic rate and spew brass like a fire hose. The dual spring design lobster tail looking extrator is supposidly three times stronger than a standard extractor and the bolt is not undercut either side of the extractor like milspec and most designs of AR bolts making for stronger bolt including a tough alloy and very slick coating that cleans up easily. Ran 300 rounds through the 12.5" and 250 rounds through the 7.5" pistols in binary mode working them hard as I could.

Ran a few double taps and some single fire then pulled the bolts, cleaned in an ultrasonic and could barely tell the difference between them compared side by side with the three new units purchased last month. Tapped on the link and ordered another pair just in case decide to build more binary 6.8's. All four binary 6.8's now have LWRC bolts with three in reserve for additional units. If they stay on sale will likely add a couple more to next Brownell's order but honestly trying not to buy many more AR parts than have. If decide to go down the Valkyrie road can use them there but with four 22 Nosler AR's hard to justify another hotrod .224 poodle shooter but if were building a Valkyrie would definately be my bolt of choice at $54.

While in their site had to click on the "Sale & Clearance" items tab to find they had the Lyman bore scope with the SD card slot so able to capture pictures of any flaws or condition of throats and then load on computer for viewing or email/posting. My current bore scope does not have the ability to save images and with it being on sale at $174 down from $252 had to drop it in the cart. Now if see a flaw can save the image then after hand lapping or fire lapping can view before, during and after pictures side by side. Also if someone asks condition of throat on a barrel can send them a photo to back up my claim.

So another tool for the kit and if had real skills could go in the gun smith business as have more gadgets than many people I know making a living at it. Think it's best use is tracking throat erosion on my overbore wildcats and factory cartridges. Will also be better able to examine the roughness of throats to know when they need a few lapping rounds and will be able to save the images with date stamps along with other records to predict when barrels will need to be replaced before discover have shot the throat out when sighting in for a trip to shoot varmints.

They have the 3.5 pound pull Rise Armaments sealed triggers for AR's on sale for $84 which almost had me drop a sealed trigger in the cart but just can't wrap my mind around a fighting style rifle with a trigger that is not user serviceable. Many people love the drop in simplicity and heard it's more durable than the Timney's which are reported to have issues with longevity. Their stripped M4 uppers are $42 and 5.56 M-16 nitride bolt carrier groups $74, 6.8's are $84 and 458 SOCOM $84. 9mm bolts are $119 and have even more premium bolt groups at fair deals. It's a boat load of fair prices even on lightweight BCG's at $99 if someone wanted such an animal.
Old August 14, 2018, 17:08   #109
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Gorilla sent me a e-mail and I picked this out of it sounds like a good deal.

Mark

http://www.gorillamachining.com/Gori...it-_p_555.html
Old August 16, 2018, 06:16   #110
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I have never had a bad part from Gorilla yet.
Old August 16, 2018, 06:39   #111
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleblu72 View Post
Gorilla sent me a e-mail and I picked this out of it sounds like a good deal.

Mark

http://www.gorillamachining.com/Gori...it-_p_555.html
Heck of a deal if those are indeed in-spec USA parts. Just placed an order for these and some other stuff.
Old August 17, 2018, 16:44   #112
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Classic Firearms has some Mag-Tactical lower receivers.

Mark

https://www.classicfirearms.com/mag-...lower-receiver
Old August 31, 2018, 07:30   #113
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

OK boys, Labor Day weekend is here, which usually means deals since it's the last real holiday before Black Friday. Sooooo whatcha got???
Old August 31, 2018, 13:17   #114
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
OK boys, Labor Day weekend is here, which usually means deals since it's the last real holiday before Black Friday. Sooooo whatcha got???
PSA. Complete PA10 for just under $500 shipped. 18" .308 upper and A2 stocked lower - sold separately.
Old September 01, 2018, 12:09   #115
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

If anyone sees nice pistol braces like the SIG adjustable or Tailhooks please post them up. Dang KAC on my 458 SOCOM's are thumping me. Soon as all Form 4's and Form 1's come back going to pin suppressors to them and bring them up to 16" so can put a comfy stock on but need something better than that thin shark fin digging in my shoulder.
Old September 03, 2018, 12:15   #116
bfoosh006
Registered

FALaholic #: 29366
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
If anyone sees nice pistol braces like the SIG adjustable or Tailhooks please post them up. Dang KAC on my 458 SOCOM's are thumping me. Soon as all Form 4's and Form 1's come back going to pin suppressors to them and bring them up to 16" so can put a comfy stock on but need something better than that thin shark fin digging in my shoulder.
https://dsgarms.com/sbt-sba3-02-sb
bfoosh006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2018, 23:35   #117
fal762
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 66358
JoeBob's has SB Tactical SBPDW Pistol Stabilizing Brace for $239.99
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/SB-...eid=5cb8aaf00e
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2018, 19:47   #118
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post

Brownells is offering this SB3 Huey without the nut or endplate with free shipping for $99. https://gun.deals/product/sb-tactica...ewsletter-1091

Mark