The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Police Issues

Notices

Old September 09, 2019, 13:38   #1
douglas
Registered

FALaholic #: 22985
30 years Ago

On Aug 21st , 1989 I walked in the Police Academy for the 1st time as a new hire recruit Officer.

I am still in Uniformed Patrol chasing 911 calls for service. Loved the adrenaline rush for years and years. Now I am a burnt out adrenaline junkie trying to keep it together for a couple more years.

The best time was spent on a 5 years tour with the gang unit. I was actually one the 1st 4 original members assigned to this unit. There were over 20 assigned when I left to go back to patrol .
The time that I spent on the dive team as a search and recovery police diver kept my adrenaline levels off the charts at times. Worked my regular patrol job until the pager went off calling us out for a dive mission. Spent 22 years as an active diver with the department.

Damn... time flies by quickly.
Old September 09, 2019, 14:50   #2
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas View Post
On Aug 21st , 1989 I walked in the Police Academy for the 1st time as a new hire recruit Officer.

I am still in Uniformed Patrol chasing 911 calls for service. Loved the adrenaline rush for years and years. Now I am a burnt out adrenaline junkie trying to keep it together for a couple more years.

The best time was spent on a 5 years tour with the gang unit. I was actually one the 1st 4 original members assigned to this unit. There were over 20 assigned when I left to go back to patrol .
The time that I spent on the dive team as a search and recovery police diver kept my adrenaline levels off the charts at times. Worked my regular patrol job until the pager went off calling us out for a dive mission. Spent 22 years as an active diver with the department.

Lord, diver had to suck balls badly down there
things that truly can not be unseen
Congrats buddy, I could not do that
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 09, 2019, 17:09   #3
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas View Post

Funny, 21st August 1988 is when I joined the British Army and was issued my first L1A1. Now I'm coming up on 9 years in LE in NM. I push a green and white Sheriff's unit around these days but got my foot in the door of promotion as I'll be retiring in about 11 years or so and I will be done with working unless I choose to. As our retirement system pays you out on your highest earning 3 years, I gotta get up that chain of command sooner rather than later...

Congrats on 30 years of a ringside seat to the greatest show on earth...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 09, 2019, 17:16   #4
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
Funny, 21st August 1988 is when I joined the British Army and was issued my first L1A1. Now I'm coming up on 9 years in LE in NM. I push a green and white Sheriff's unit around these days but got my foot in the door of promotion as I'll be retiring in about 11 years or so and I will be done with working unless I choose to. As our retirement system pays you out on your highest earning 3 years, I gotta get up that chain of command sooner rather than later...

August 68,,,,some damned "old" Sgt took my M16 away and handed me a ratty old pump shotgun,,smart man that damned old Sgt turned out to be,,,, at least for that week!

OP,,,congrats,,well done Sir!!!

The adrenaline rush will wear off pretty quickly once you transition.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 09, 2019, 20:33   #5
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
I was drafted into the West German Army in 1979, stayed on for 5 years and made it up to an E-6, MOS 18 B3.

After drifting around Europe a little I joined LE of my state in 1987 and stuck with it till 2003, making it up to a sergeant (E-7 by paygrade). I got out in late 2003 after 16.5 years.

I got out because of two major reasons: Germany was getting increasingly leftist and I immigrated to the US. A 3rd reason was that Germany never had a 2A.
moonbat60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 09, 2019, 20:37   #6
moonbat60
Registered

Quote:

gman, have you ever been posted to Germany by chance?
Old September 10, 2019, 16:43   #7
the gman
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbat60 View Post
gman, have you ever been posted to Germany by chance?
Yes, I was first in Münster (North Rhine-Westfalia) then Fallingbostel (Bergen-Hohne) for a few weeks before deploying to Saudi/Kuwait during Desert Shield/Storm/Saber. I returned to Münster for a little while then went to Osnabrück before heading back to the UK for the rest of my service. I spent time in lots of other places in Germany like Luneburg, Sennelager, Bavaria and Silberhütte in the Hartz mountains for mountain warfare training, skiing instructor school and the like.

Loved Münster, great place to live and work. Osnabrück was nicknamed Osnatraz in reference to Alcatraz as the living conditions there weren't great for British troops and it was one of the largest garrison towns within the British Army of the Rhine or BAOR as it was known. Yep, had many happy times in Germany but I wouldn't want to live there now. Have a buddy who still lives in the area of Osnabrück and the whole place has completely changed from the mid 90's.

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
Old September 10, 2019, 20:21   #8
moonbat60
Registered

Quote:
Yes, I was first in Münster (North Rhine-Westfalia) then Fallingbostel (Bergen-Hohne) for a few weeks before deploying to Saudi/Kuwait during Desert Shield/Storm/Saber. I returned to Münster for a little while then went to Osnabrück before heading back to the UK for the rest of my service. I spent time in lots of other places in Germany like Luneburg, Sennelager, Bavaria and Silberhütte in the Hartz mountains for mountain warfare training, skiing instructor school and the like.

Loved Münster, great place to live and work. Osnabrück was nicknamed Osnatraz in reference to Alcatraz as the living conditions there weren't great for British troops and it was one of the largest garrison towns within the British Army of the Rhine or BAOR as it was known. Yep, had many happy times in Germany but I wouldn't want to live there now. Have a buddy who still lives in the area of Osnabrück and the whole place has completely changed from the mid 90's.

I lived pretty close to those areas. Mind if I pm you?
Old September 11, 2019, 12:54   #9
the gman
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbat60 View Post
I lived pretty close to those areas. Mind if I pm you?
Email is better: thegman1763 at gmail.com (obviously insert the @ where it needs to be )

-Alexis de Tocqueville