The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Economics & Investing

Notices

Old March 19, 2017, 19:31   #1
clodhopper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65715
Pre mortgage prep question

I think after 17 years in the same house, it may be time to move. Grew up military moving every few years, so this is by far the longest I have ever been in one place.

To the point, looking at getting things in order before pulling a mortgage approval. I have pulled my credit report and will be getting my current house appraised soon. I am over 800. From my research, I understand it is best to not do any significant gymnastics in the short time before a mortgage review. However, I was schooled by my Pop years ago to drop the allowable credit limit on cards and such. He said that allowable limit counts against you. Don't have any revolving balance as I pay off stuff every month. As I have been static, I haven't paid much attention to the periodic limit boosts by the bank. Well the credit report totals my credit limits to almost 50k. My Pops voice in my head says to call and get those limits knocked down.

But before I make a mistake one way or the other, I call upon the financial wizards of the Files go help guide me on this.
clodhopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 19:40   #2
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
If it were me, I wouldn't change anything. The 800 and zero balances tell all there is to know.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 20:49   #3
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

I would take nwobhm's advice. In addition I would do some backwards planning and find out what you want. How much do you want to spend? What kind of loan do you want? What interest rates you are thinking about?

These answers will help inform your decision.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 21:29   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Real estate or what? With 800 you should have a 50K credit card that you never use. Leave it alone. Now you have kicked yourself in the ass if you followed his advice. Your old man sounds like mine.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.

Last edited by meltblown; March 19, 2017 at 21:38.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 22:58   #5
TheOtherChris
Registered

FALaholic #: 2050
It may be interesting to note that the big three credit score companies expect to see high a high limit on your card the older you are. However they don't like to see a LOT of them. Keep your oldest cards (as long as the terms are beneficial to you) and ditch the rest BUT ONLY AFTER YOUR LOAN IS APPROVED.

Since you have an 800+ score there is no need to tweek it for the loan.

Oh and DO NOT be out buying/contracting for anything and don't move money around in your bank accounts before the loan has recorded and funded.
Old March 20, 2017, 09:15   #6
clodhopper
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Now you have kicked yourself in the ass if you followed his advice. Your old man sounds like mine.
What I know is the paradigms of business change over time. What mattered greatly at one time may not now. Which is the reason for the question. Carrying too much available credit dinged you in my Pop's time. Apparently, not so much now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherChris View Post
Oh and DO NOT be out buying/contracting for anything and don't move money around in your bank accounts before the loan has recorded and funded.
No need to do that. Cars paid off, credit cards paid off, cash in the bank, no need to do any funk.
Old March 20, 2017, 09:35   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
If you have a lot of credit available it's ok. They look at the amount available versus the amount being used. If you cut your available credit then the amount used vs available makes it looks like you are using more of your available credit.

Sorry, my dad used a lot of credit in his life and I followed suit, hence my high credit score. Over the past few years I don't buy anything unless I can pay cash though a mortgage and maybe a vehicle being the exception.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 22:20   #8
Peconga
Registered

FALaholic #: 1881
If you plan on converting any hard assets (such as guns, ammo, precious metals, cars, collectibles) into cash for a down payment, be sure to do it sooner rather than later AND make sure you can provide a complete paper trail for everything (titles, bills of sale, copies of cashier checks, wire transfer records, etc). Bankers just HATE it when people keep assets outside of The System, and your lender will want a pile of documents showing the source of ALL funds that you bring to closing. In addition, they will want it to have been sitting in a standard bank account for at least 60 days, preferably longer.

If you want to have some fun, just watch the look on your loan officer's face when you tell him that you raised half of your $60K down payment by selling off some guns and gold coins at the swap meet, and that the rest was cash on hand. As far as they are concerned, you might as well be peddling oxycodone to high school kids.
Peconga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 23:06   #9
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peconga View Post
If you plan on converting any hard assets (such as guns, ammo, precious metals, cars, collectibles) into cash for a down payment, be sure to do it sooner rather than later AND make sure you can provide a complete paper trail for everything (titles, bills of sale, copies of cashier checks, wire transfer records, etc). Bankers just HATE it when people keep assets outside of The System, and your lender will want a pile of documents showing the source of ALL funds that you bring to closing. In addition, they will want it to have been sitting in a standard bank account for at least 60 days, preferably longer.

If you want to have some fun, just watch the look on your loan officer's face when you tell him that you raised half of your $60K down payment by selling off some guns and gold coins at the swap meet, and that the rest was cash on hand. As far as they are concerned, you might as well be peddling oxycodone to high school kids.
That's a very valid point you make. I wish I'd known this in 2009 when I bought my house. The shear hell I went through to verify the $3,500 my father gifted to me to the FHA was almost not worth the house I bought. Bankers do get antsy about such things!

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017, 20:07   #10
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I'm going through this now. A couple of years ago when I almost bought another property the only thing they dinged me on was the balance on my credit card. I put everything on the card to get the points, but pay it off every month. It still looked like I had a heck of a balance on the card, did not matter that I paid it of every month. This time, I started paying the balance a couple-three days BEFORE the closing day on the card. Now I show an average balance of $91 on my CC.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 00:16   #11
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
After 17 years, unless the house and neighborhood is sux and danger, why not just stay 13 more and pay it off, unless you are downsizing.
Old March 22, 2017, 09:30   #12
clodhopper
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
After 17 years, unless the house and neighborhood is sux and danger, why not just stay 13 more and pay it off, unless you are downsizing.
Looking to go from an average suburban house on a postage stamp in town to a smaller house on ~30 acres well outside of town but shorter drive to work.

Old March 27, 2017, 21:51   #13
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Just bought a new house a couple years back. Credit score was around 770-780 at the time. Had probably a $75,000 credit limit at the time AND was using $25,000 of it at the time (yes, a shitload). Still got a very low rate and zero trouble getting the loan.

Do not worry about your credit limits - you are in the clear !
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2017, 23:13   #14
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Credit utilization rate is important so it's actually better to have higher credit limits as long as you aren't carrying a huge balance.

Don't be tempted into an adjustable rate mortgage. Rates only have one direction they can go. If you can afford it I'd go for a 10 or 15 year fixed rate.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote