The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old January 16, 2011, 10:28   #1
Rumnhammer
Registered

FALaholic #: 59722
AK threads on My FAL

Hi all, I added AK threads to the end of my L1A1 barrel this weekend.

May seem strange to do, but I thought that it would be a useful mod to increase my options for Muzzle treatments

Most of the FAL muzzle brakes etc are more expensive then AK variants, and you can get AK muzzle treatments in every possible configuration imaginable.

Also I plan on getting a suppressor next year in .30 Quick detatch and by using AK threads on the FAL I only need to get one Flash hider in .30cal for the AK and it will work on my AK and my FAL, I can then just get the same type of Suppressor attachment and use it on my AR 15 as well.

The first Muzzle brake I got for the FAL is the excellent AK 74 style from Tapco, made in America, and an outstanding .30 cal Muzzle brake. Best part is that it is only $17!!. I also got a Birdcage flash hider for a wopping $9!! So I can add that too.

Below are a couple of pics.

First is a full shot of my L1A1 with the AK 74 brake on it.

Next is a close up of the Muzzle brake on the FAL

And last is a side by side my FAL with my A5 paintball gun that I made a Milsim FAL kit for. I made the kit from scratch using real FAL parts and milled the magwell from a solid block of Aluminum. Turned out pretty good huh!

Chris Rummel
Rumnhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2011, 11:11   #2
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Oh my!!!

You are a crafty feller!

I hate to think how loud that brake must be.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2011, 11:31   #3
Powderfinger
Registered

FALaholic #: 12897
Good idea!
I did just the opposite.

Truth is the cry of all, but the game of few. George Berkeley
Powderfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2011, 12:19   #4
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 20446
Are muzzel treatments anything like window treatments? I have a hard time keeping up with current vocabulary.

Forgot to say, Welcome to the files!

Posting paintball WMD's might get the odd comment. I do like the digicam on the L1A1 though.
Old January 16, 2011, 13:11   #5
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Welcome aboard

BTW, muzzle brakes are for wusses. Just sayin'

Nice rifle, otherwise

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2011, 14:40   #6
Rumnhammer
Registered

Muzzle brake

Thanks, Don't know how loud it is, just added it yesterday and haven't shot it yet. I have shot my AK with the same brake and it is not bad unless you are standing next to it. The 74 brake really works well for countering muzzle rise and will probably get a bit more gas into the piston as well.

I also got a birdcage flash hider that I could put on too, That also looks great on it.

Yeah, the digicamo is Duracoat, my cousin did that for me a few years ago.

As for loudness, I plan on solving that with a Suppressor next year.

Chris Rummel
Old January 16, 2011, 15:04   #7
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I put a US made 74 brake on a Russian M44,it substancially reduced felt recoil,but was louder than hell for anybody off to the side.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2011, 17:23   #8
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I can tell you that a 74 brake on the end of a FAL carbine hurts everybody. A while back I used to shoot tactical rifle matches with a fellow FalFiler who had one on his. Even when 20-25 yds behind him, it was like getting thumped in the chest - big deep boom following the shock wave. I just hope you shoot that thing in the open and not under a covered firing line.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2011, 17:24   #9
FUUN063
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 35576
LHaney, yes muzzle treatments are like window treatments, except that no one will give you a hard time for licking the muzzle treatments!

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2011, 21:40   #10
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by FUUN063
LHaney, yes muzzle treatments are like window treatments, except that no one will give you a hard time for licking the muzzle treatments!

Leland

"Carpet" licking -- "carpets" !!!

Get it right

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Old January 16, 2011, 23:33   #11
Rumnhammer
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by tac-40
I can tell you that a 74 brake on the end of a FAL carbine hurts everybody. A while back I used to shoot tactical rifle matches with a fellow FalFiler who had one on his. Even when 20-25 yds behind him, it was like getting thumped in the chest - big deep boom following the shock wave. I just hope you shoot that thing in the open and not under a covered firing line.

COOL!! Accustic firepower! is there a bad thing about giving a weapon a bigger boom? Makes them keep there heads down when used against them.
Old January 17, 2011, 14:51   #12
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rumnhammer

is there a bad thing about giving a weapon a bigger boom? Makes them keep there heads down when used against them.
Yes, there is.
1)In many places, getting or keeping a range is extremely difficult, more noise doesn't help.
2)Brakes are extremely unpleasant for your rangemates and damaging to hearing, even with ear protection.

Also, the noise signature downrange is usually not affected, or may be even less. If your adversaries are scared of noise, then they are amateurs. Beyond that, the increased side noise may help other adversaries locate you more easily.

For competition I might understand the advantages of a brake. In the "real" world, they are, IMHO, worse than useless. If you can't handle a 10 pound 7.62x51 rifles' recoil, you need more practice. Moreover, brakes almost invariably have horrendous flash signatures, which is counterproductive.

Old January 17, 2011, 17:09   #13
Rumnhammer
Registered

Muzzle brakes

Well excuse me all over.....frankly I'm quite suprised at the responses in this thread. Not very welcoming to be honest. Is it because I added an AK brake to an FAL? Is this that much of a purest forum? I've been a lurker for awhile, and haven't noticed this much grief given to other people posting adding a muzzle brake.

Nor for that matter, the difference given to this thread as opposed to say the KP2 shortys thread...especially when the obvious titanic blast you will get out of an FAL with an 8 inch barrel would be radically louder and more harsh on your neighbor "Rangemates" then a simple brake, that I have shot on an AK which not only has a shorter barrel, but also not that much less of a blast then the 308 and have found to be not overly loud........

Seriously, I guess you also could not see the humour I was trying to convey with my opponets being frightend by the blast comment either, honestly unless TSHTF event happens the rifle is not going to be used in anger against anybody, and if that were to happen the people it would be used against obviously would not be "professional" now would they.......

Jesus, I believe I'll think twice before I bother posting anything else here.

Chris Rummel
Old January 17, 2011, 17:29   #14
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 20446
Around this crowd it's when you DON'T get poked at somethings wrong. You said you read a while first, right?
Old January 17, 2011, 19:47   #15
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Well, if I missed the humor - my bad. Olde Fartitis strikes again

Adding an AK part is no crime. However, while your ingenuity is admirable, if you you believe it exempts you from the critical opinions of others then thinking twice would indeed be adviseable before posting. For the record I have tried various different muzzle devices including ARs on my FALs, so it isn't a purism thing at all - I just personally detest brakes, and gave my reasoning. Like all my opinions, worth exactly whatcha paid for it !!! ( probably even less !! ) Lessee, muzzle brake AND letting me get to ya -- that's TWO wussy points now

C'mon Chris, let's lighten it up and have a beer ( as soon as you yank that farkin' brake off the end of that FAL ). Pull up a chair, hang out, have some fun - nobody here actually bites !!

Old January 17, 2011, 20:19   #16
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
At least up here they only poke you in the nose. Down in Dumping Brass they poke you in the ....
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2011, 19:27   #17
Rumnhammer
Registered

Brake

No offence taken, everyone is entitled to there opinion, and I guess I was a little sensitive being new to this forum.

I'm actually trying to convince a friend to have me build him an FAL now, he's big into that AR with all the heavy crap on the front of it.......So his will probably be a modernized one with front rails and a earless front gas block.

Also considering building up a second FAL myself since I have every thing I need minus a second inch gas block and upper reciever to build one.
Did I mention that the above FAL and enough parts to build a second one were basically Free? Yeap a couple of years ago I traded a .308 Marlin lever action rifle that I inherited for my FAL and a parts box filled to the brim with FAL stuff, I used some to configure the FAL the way I wanted, and used some to make the Milsim kit(heresy to some probably) but it did win me a spot in the Hall of fame gallery on Milsim Empire.

Chris Rummel
ps
I'll put the flash hider on the FAL if I shoot at your range.
Old January 18, 2011, 20:26   #18
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Good to see ya back hanging out with us - new blood is actually very appreciated here Don't be afraid to slap us reg'lars if we get too bitchy

Sounds like a primo score on the Marlin swap - always fun playing mix-n-match with goodies from the parts box. Of course, it only encourages further addiction ( go ahead, you KNOW it's only a matter of time before you build another ---- and another------and----and.........................)

You know, I've never been big on camo'ed rifles ( I know me - I'd be changing my mind every week and the dang thing would end up with 5 extra pounds of paint on it !!) but that is an interesting pattern. I kinda like the fade from predominantly black up forward to grey further aft. Hmmmm................................

Last edited by J. Armstrong; January 18, 2011 at 23:28.
Old January 18, 2011, 20:38   #19
DYNOMIKE
Registered

FALaholic #: 11982
I did kinda wonder about the thin skin at first, glad ya decided to stay awhile..

The FAL like so many other rifles can be a canvas if you will and many peeps take a rifle and mold it into what "they" believe is the perfect FAL.. You are not the first to do so and won't be the last but by all means continue what you started.. Lots of guy's don't like brakes, usually because of the noise but hey we been experimenting a lot longer and everyone needs to figure shit out on their own sometimes....

The Rifle looks nice and I would highly recommend you keep on your Bud. He will appreciate your persistance once he pulls the trigger on his OWN FAL..

Oh and DO be sure to build your own, it aint rocket science but there is a a lot of satisfaction gained from taking a pile of parts and returning them to life..
Old January 31, 2011, 14:12   #20
julysol
Registered

FALaholic #: 6729
Welcome Rumnhammer

I did the same quite a few years ago when I was down in Houston. Had that Arsenal AK place thread a couple spare barrels I had and bought a few of thier US made AK brakes and flash hiders. Thier long flash hider has a natural look on the shortened FAL rifle. Too bad they don't make them anymore. There was a guy on gunbroker that made some nice hiders not long ago. I haven't seen him there recently though.

I use that same brake you have on my AK. Works good
I'll have to post pics of what I'v got for my FALs. No pics available right now.
julysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2011, 12:04   #21
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Quote:
Originally posted by Powderfinger
Good idea!
I did just the opposite.

What does that sound like? I cut down a STG flash hider just like that for a FAL and now the thing rings like Hell so never put it on a gun.
It was exactly like a tuning fork! If you tapped it on something, and set it down, it would ring for a couple minutes.
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2011, 13:07   #22
crcksht
Registered

FALaholic #: 15315
Quote:
Originally posted by W.E.G.
Oh my!!!

You are a crafty feller!

Better double-up, plugs and muffs! The guys at the range are going to hate you.

Nice looking rifle though.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
-- Richard Henry Lee - Senator, First Congress

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people." (Elliott, Debates, 425-426)
--George Mason

Last edited by crcksht; February 06, 2011 at 13:13.
crcksht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 18:54   #23
Rumnhammer
Registered

loud

Well I finally got the chance to shoot this last week, and yes the muzzle brake is coming off!

This was brutally loud! I mean it was even punishing for me shooting it, and the people 90degrees left and right thought I was shooting a .50 cal BMG.

I was glad when the scope was lined in.

I came home, cleaned the FAL and put the birdcage flash hider on instead.

You guys were definatly right about this one, strange though the AK is not this brutal with the same brake, and the round is not hugely different. Oh well.

I think it will be much more comfortable to shoot now.

Chris Rummel
Old May 12, 2011, 02:28   #24
AndyC
Porridge Wog
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19755
No shit.

Well, you took it personally when folks tried to warn you; and most of us could see what was coming, so I think it's funny as hell...

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Last edited by AndyC; May 12, 2011 at 02:35.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 07:10   #25
Rumnhammer
Registered

Loud

Actually I thought it was pretty funny at the time shooting it as well. The people around me were not really bothered by it, they were just curious as to what it was. Most thought it was rechamberd in .338 Lapua or something.

I was definatly glad to be done shooting it though. Really didn't notice all that much recoil reduction either, so really no valid reason to keep it on there.

Going the opposite direction, soon getting a suppressor to use on it. Getting back to the original posting, I'll only need to get one adapter for an AK to use the suppressor on both rifles.

Chris Rummel
Old May 12, 2011, 07:25   #26
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
You should have seen the people at the NRA range (indoors) when I showed up with the Enfield #5 Jungle Carbine.

That's the one with the real short barrel, and the megaphone on the end of the barrel.

I knew after the first shot that I wasn't going to be using that thing as a range toy. Problem was, I'd bought three boxes of ammo for it, and I wasn't about to let it go to waste.

From the looks of the others at the range, I should have been wearing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hehateme.jpg (7.2 KB, 97 views)

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 10:02   #27
AndyC
Porridge Wog
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19755
Re: Loud

Quote:
Originally posted by Rumnhammer
I was definatly glad to be done shooting it though. Really didn't notice all that much recoil reduction either, so really no valid reason to keep it on there.
I hear that - good move. Pity, though - it looked cool

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 11:07   #28
commander bond
Registered

FALaholic #: 59955
Very nice FAL paintball marker. I have done stens, Thompson and l85 bulpups.
commander bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 11:47   #29
machinegunner
Apprentice
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 78657
NO NO NO!!!!! I would have traded a l1a1 barrel with a ak flash hider already installed for your unmolested barrel.
machinegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 17:06   #30
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
The VisMod A5 is pretty cool.
Old March 20, 2017, 18:22   #31
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Necro thread, guys.
Old March 20, 2017, 19:52   #32
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Oh my!!!

You are a crafty feller!

I'm told that those same AK-74-style brakes are popular on Mosin 'sporters/Bubbas, ' but I wouldn't know. I'd hate to be exposed to one on an M44 Carbine firing Heavy Ball ammo, I do know that!
Old March 21, 2017, 08:43   #33
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
Necro thread, guys.
Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!