Old March 15, 2017, 16:14   #551
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCapt View Post
Two last questions (for now.....)

Is the range open to the public? If so, is there somewhere on the range to do some last minute shooting on Friday? Not on the actual course, but maybe a 100 yd bay?

For the cave portion I have a headlamp, a handheld light and a quick detach light for my pistol. I don't however have a holster that will accommodate the mounted light. Once the pistol is drawn, is it allowed to then quickly mount the light to it? Unless I screw it up, it only takes a second or two to mount. I wouldn't care if that time is added to the run, I just don't want to surprise the r/o by doing that.

Is there a formal or informal meet and greet planned by anyone here on Friday night. Would be nice to meet you guys in person.

Pete
Doing weird things makes ROs nervous.

Nervous ROs can get twitchy DQ fingers.

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017, 17:11   #552
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Doing weird things makes ROs nervous.

Nervous ROs can get twitchy DQ fingers.
I hope you film all the weird things people are going to do with the AK on your stage, and I'm especially looking forward to your commentary.

Just keep them pointed downrange and let them futz to their heart's desire.
Old March 15, 2017, 18:34   #553
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
I hope you film all the weird things people are going to do with the AK on your stage, and I'm especially looking forward to your commentary. ...Just keep them pointed downrange and let them futz to their heart's desire.
Especially if we disassemble it before they arrive at the stage!
Old March 15, 2017, 20:42   #554
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Especially if we disassemble it before they arrive at the stage!
Oooo...that's good!

We can disassemble my AK and tell them they have to assemble it before they can...wait, no...stay on target!

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

Old March 16, 2017, 04:36   #555
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Oooo...that's good!

We can disassemble my AK and tell them they have to assemble it before they can...wait, no...stay on target!
Brunop - I'm going to need you to keep these two under control!
Old March 16, 2017, 06:19   #556
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
On the road.

See you all soon.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017, 18:10   #557
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

All checked into the lodge.
Old March 16, 2017, 21:52   #558
Tuhlmann
Sand In Your Shorts
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Good luck tomorrow fellas! I'll be driving all day tomorrow to get there. Looking forward to it all!

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2017, 03:06   #559
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
Good luck tomorrow fellas! I'll be driving all day tomorrow to get there. Looking forward to it all!
Awesome - looking forward to meeting you! Be sure to find me and tell me at least three times "no, I'm Tuhlmann - from the FAL Files".

That goes for all FAL Files guys. I'm just trying to keep up at this point, but you guys definitely get special treatment.
Old March 17, 2017, 07:03   #560
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Figures!!!

Old March 18, 2017, 05:41   #561
kotengu
Registered

Just a taste - the ROs and some "special guests" ran yesterday. Getting ready to get started with the full deal this morning!

Embrace the suck!

Old March 18, 2017, 05:53   #562
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Just a taste...
None of that mud tasted good BTW!!!

The course was/is so full of "suck", it was totally awesome!!!! A real honest and true test of fitness, shooter, and gear! Race guns might have some issues today, me thinks!!!

My gear and clothes are still a pile of muddy wetness and I am sore as hell this morning. Hats off to the Halfling for making all this pain and suffering possible!!!

Good luck and stay safe to those out here running today. I will see you on the "know your enemy stage"!
Old March 18, 2017, 13:28   #563
Tuhlmann
Sand In Your Shorts
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Nuttz nailed it. It was sucky awesome!

(*Ignore the AR and the mag foul and really take in the clay...)

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2017, 15:49   #564
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
Just a taste - the ROs and some "special guests" ran yesterday. Getting ready to get started with the full deal this morning!

Embrace the suck!

Oh, so that's what that protective cover on the hydration bladder is for

Props to you guys!
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2017, 19:55   #565
RJCapt
Registered

FALaholic #: 12442
I will elaborate further on my experience today, later but I just wanted to thank Matt and all the guys who RO'd for us today. You all did a fantastic job and your work is appreciated immensely.

I had a great time and will definitely do it again. Hope I didn't embarrass the FAL community too bad, promise to do better next time!

Thanks again.

Pete
RJCapt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2017, 21:04   #566
JerrySexton
Registered

FALaholic #: 76812
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCapt View Post
I will elaborate further on my experience today, later but I just wanted to thank Matt and all the guys who RO'd for us today. You all did a fantastic job and your work is appreciated immensely.

I had a great time and will definitely do it again. Hope I didn't embarrass the FAL community too bad, promise to do better next time!

Thanks again.

Pete
For an inaugural event, it went amazingly well from my perspective. You guys knocked it out of the park.

I was satisfied with my gear and running but my shooting sucked badly. That's good though, now I know what I didn't know and what I need to focus on.

I had an absolute blast running the course. I'd do that every day if I could.
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2017, 21:19   #567
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySexton View Post
For an inaugural event, it went amazingly well from my perspective....
Yeah, all that hard work and experienced staff made it look easy, I'm sure.

I will make every effort to be there next year.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2017, 22:14   #568
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
^

Yes, it went very, very well.

The rain and mud just increased the amount of awesome. Experienced range officers definitely helped - we had the normal kind of problems (broken targets, timers that crapped out in the rain, etc.), and everybody kept everything moving really smoothly.

There was a prize for the Mule (dude with the heaviest pack to complete the course). One guy who weighed 240 wore a pack that weighed 140 (total pre-run weight of 380 lbs.). Holy crap. You should have seen that poor bastard humping it up the hills out of the shooting areas.

I'll let kotengu tell what the Mule Prize was. Hilarious.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 11:20   #569
JerrySexton
Registered

FALaholic #: 76812
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post

There was a prize for the Mule (dude with the heaviest pack to complete the course). One guy who weighed 240 wore a pack that weighed 140 (total pre-run weight of 380 lbs.). Holy crap. You should have seen that poor bastard humping it up the hills out of the shooting areas.

I'll let kotengu tell what the Mule Prize was. Hilarious.
Dude was trying to shoot stage 1 with that weight when I got there.

After watching that I was shocked I mean ssssshocked to hear he had completed the course. That took some brute strength and determination. Wish I could have been there to watch him at the mud pits and the climbing obstacle.
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 16:17   #570
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
This was a well-organized, safe event. Surprisingly smooth for the first one! What a great bunch of folks, Rockcastle is a heckuva place to host it. Going straight from the finish line to a hot shower and dry clothes is a first for me.
TedKennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 19:26   #571
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
This was a well-organized, safe event. Surprisingly smooth for the first one! What a great bunch of folks, Rockcastle is a heckuva place to host it. Going straight from the finish line to a hot shower and dry clothes is a first for me.
That is an absolute honor to hear that coming from you, sir. Thank you for all of your help to pull this thing off.

It's going to take awhile, but I have over 500 pictures and videos to share in some shape or fashion - and a bunch of cool data to go through too. This thing turned out so much better than I ever would have hoped when I started, and I'm looking forward to sharing all the evidence of that I can! But I still haven't even unloaded the Jeep, so I guess I'd better get on that.
Old March 19, 2017, 19:31   #572
Invictus77
The Colonel
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Congrats Matt! Well done Sir

...and koodoos to all who ran it. You are badasses one and all
Old March 19, 2017, 22:21   #573
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

You knocked it out of the park Matt!

Old March 19, 2017, 23:13   #574
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Hey, Stimpy -

I'm assuming that you have the same questions about scores/data for Matt that I do? When you dig that out of him, will you 'splain it all to me?

I can't figure out what the "points" and "time" are. I'm also wondering if I can use the algo to figure out where I would have placed if I had *not* DNFd two stages. I don't mean shot them well, I just mean like actually made the 180 second cut off...

I'm trying to figure how far out of, say, 8th or 9th place I *might* have been.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

Old March 20, 2017, 03:12   #575
kotengu
Registered

The overall points and time aren't very helpful for common sense figurings, as they are just a sum of the points and time from every stage. If you click on each individual stage within Practiscore you can see the actual stage times and point assignments and get a better idea of how the scoring worked.

Each shooting stage was worth 100 points. The fastest shooter got that 100 points, and every shooter below them got a percentage of those points based on how much slower they were. A DNF got zero points for the stage. If you look at the points assigned for different times you can get an idea of how many additional points you might have gotten if you did not DNF.

"Stage 6" is your net overall run time, which is your gross run time minus any wait time you had. This was worth 500 points. Again, the fastest guy got 500 points and everyone below him got a percentage of that based on how fast they were.

So there were 1,000 points total possible for the match - half run score and half shoot score.

In my head this was the best way to balance out shooting and running. But I haven't had time to really go through the scores in detail and see if it treated anyone really unfairly. I'd be interested in your guys' thoughts if you see anything that looks out of whack, and if you can think of a better way to do it.

And yes, it's 3am and I'm wide awake. AGAIN. This sucks -
Old March 20, 2017, 07:05   #576
kotengu
Registered

Funniest/most disturbing comment from the post-match survey that falls into the "yet one more thing I NEVER considered pre-match": somebody puked in the tube, and it would have been nice if the ROs could have paid more attention to the puke and the ropes that kept not getting thrown back down.

So the guys who ran later in the day had a HUGE weather advantage, but they had to crawl through someone else's puke to do it. I think I'll take the miserable weather...

I have a ton of pictures and video yet to go through, and it's going to take some time. But in the meantime, for all those people who wondered "how on earth did the Mule get under the barbed wire with his 142 lb pack?!?!":

Old March 20, 2017, 07:15   #577
Ted Kennedy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 77365
I looked at the scoring - from what I can tell, it's perfect. I like the way it's displayed in the Practiscore page was well.

I filled out the survey you sent - one question was about distance. I said I'd like to see a 10K or 20K, but one thing I see at some races is they just run the short distance over and over. That's not near as fun - do you think Rockcastle would let you expand the area to make the race longer, perhaps with more trails or cross-country stuff?
Ted Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 08:05   #578
kotengu
Registered

Rockcastle supposedly has 30+ miles of trails available on their property, so it is a possibility. I have not yet scouted out all the rest of the trails to see how feasible it is - or figured out how on earth I'd mark and staff that much physical distance.

I agree - one long course is way better than running the same course multiple times. But I probably can't justify all the extra work it would take if only a couple people wanted to run it, so I put it in the survey just to see what people thought. Thanks for responding to it!
Old March 20, 2017, 08:09   #579
Bryan 45
Registered

FALaholic #: 17465
It was a pleasure meeting so many of you guys. I'd heard Matt talk about this crazy group of FALfanatics for the last year, it was nice putting faces with names.

And as a Rockcastle ambassador, I sincerely appreciate you coming to KY and enjoying what this amazing place has to offer. I've been shooting competitions at Rockcastle for almost 9 years now, and with this match format, this was the first time I'd been to any of those places we shot on foot. (Usually spoiled riding from stage to stage in my Jeep.) I hope you all enjoyed your stay, the food at the lodge, a few drinks, and great company of like-minded individuals.

As a range officer- I saw a very adaptive group of shooters that conquered the challenges in unique ways. We had a few that duct taped their shoes to the feet, stored their handguns in zip lock bags, installed weapons lights on the clock, field striped and cleaned their handguns on the clock using water from their camelbak, found out just how annoying a strobe weapons light can be, and one that frantically searched for their scorecard, only for it to be returned to him by the next shooter that he ran across. All done while being safe playing with guns.

As a runner/shooter- This was the most physically challenging match I've attended. Downhill, uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill, uphill. I don't think the obstacles were as tough as the hills. (Except for maybe the tube, since I didn't know there was a rope in the left one, and I made it up the right one)

As a match director of other events- Well done, Matt. Very well done. Great planning and execution. I think the longest back up we had was about 10 min of wait time for a couple shooters because of a target going down on stage 2 and a couple runners staying together as a team. It ran so much smoother than I expected. I'm looking forward to next time.

I had a few people say I didn't look very dirty when I finished. From stage 3 to 5, it was raining so hard, as if I was running through a car wash. I think I even got the undercarriage high pressure spray.

Last edited by Bryan 45; March 20, 2017 at 08:16.
Bryan 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 10:34   #580
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Cave stage!

Never shot in a thunderstorm before.

Old March 20, 2017, 12:30   #581
kotengu
Registered

I hate that about the visibility! I bet you were one of very few to go 2 for 2 on the standing target though. No one I saw do it did (myself included).

I love the thunder - it's like the FAL barks, and then God barks back!
Old March 20, 2017, 12:35   #582
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan 45 View Post
I think I even got the undercarriage high pressure spray.
More than I needed to know!

Great after-action report, and very high praise coming from you! It was great to get two (three?) groups of friends together finally and see how well everyone just meshed. It's like we are all variations of kindred spirits or something.

Maybe next year we all can talk Bryan into shooting his FAL...
Old March 20, 2017, 13:00   #583
Ted Kennedy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I hate that about the visibility! I bet you were one of very few to go 2 for 2 on the standing target though. No one I saw do it did (myself included).

I love the thunder - it's like the FAL barks, and then God barks back!
Can't remember the shooter, but we had one guy go 6 for six on our stage.
Wasn't a .308, but still.......
Old March 20, 2017, 15:53   #584
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I hate that about the visibility!
Can't shoot what you can't see. i finally made out something that looked like a fuzzy pixel of white or two, ding. But then it was swinging and all I could see was the orange flash indicator, once that stopped it was gone again.

Still, any attempt to clear the lenses would have been better than just locking up like I did. I won't make that mistake again.

Old March 20, 2017, 16:44   #585
kotengu
Registered

Quote:

Still, any attempt to clear the lenses would have been better than just locking up like I did. I won't make that mistake again.
And yet another beauty of the $200 Hog scope is that if you scratch your lenses to crap while clearing them in the field, you're really not out much. I was cringing watching some of our special guests grinding mud into the lenses of their fairly expensive optics with their thumbs and shirts while trying to see something during your stage. One even said "I'm sending a very stern letter to Eotech when this is all over!" (while he was still trying to shoot)

These things attract all of the finest people!
Old March 20, 2017, 19:19   #586
beseventeen
Registered

FALaholic #: 75901
Whoa, neat videos stimp. I said I wanted to come and volunteer to RO next year, but only if I don't get stuck in the cave. I'm not claustrophobic (at least I don't think) but the video of that stage made me feel uneasy LOL.
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 19:41   #587
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Now. The not so fun part!

Jeff, notice I left the gas regulator spring on?
Old March 21, 2017, 08:02   #588
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post

LOL!

Mine is in a similar state, but now waiting on parts as I found the buttstock bolt to be all mangled up on the threads. Replacements inbound.

I don't think you can crossthread that easily, so I suspect some material got in there and caused the damage. The tube threads look fine, but it is getting replaced anyway.

Old March 21, 2017, 08:25   #589
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
...Mine is in a similar state, but now waiting on parts as I found the buttstock bolt to be all mangled up on the threads. Replacements inbound...I don't think you can crossthread that easily, so I suspect some material got in there and caused the damage. The tube threads look fine, but it is getting replaced anyway.
Mine are now back in the safe all WD40'd, greased, and oiled up. I will take them back out in the next few days and wipe them back down re-grease/oil and Barricade them. Time to get the Argy out this weekend to get ready for RBGC next month.
Old March 21, 2017, 14:48   #590
kotengu
Registered

Some stats from the match:

The fastest runner finished in 53 minutes and carried 10% of his bodyweight. The average competitor (overall) carried 13% of their bodyweight. The lightest weight carried was 6% of the runner's bodyweight, and the Mule carried SIXTY-FRIGGEN-TWO percent of his.

The competitors shooting 308 and larger averaged 13% of their bodyweight as well, so that pretty much kills everybody's excuses on BOTH sides of that argument!

And the females on average carried 14% of their bodyweight, so they made us men look like a bunch of, well, sissies.

And the pic below has the breakdown of gear and caliber shot:

Old March 21, 2017, 15:45   #591
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Old March 21, 2017, 17:20   #592
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz

Ha! You're a pretty fart smeller!!

Old March 21, 2017, 17:36   #593
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Ha! You're a pretty fart smeller!!
APEX and some other places sell em for around 3 bucks or so. Don't know if they take PayPal or not!
Old March 21, 2017, 18:16   #594
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

I need a couple for,sure.

I wonder if I can get a big enough transaction to really screw PP....

Old March 21, 2017, 21:46   #595
kotengu
Registered

Old March 21, 2017, 22:23   #596
kotengu
Registered

IMG_0524
Old March 21, 2017, 22:26   #597
kotengu
Registered

All the pics my wife took are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/lisastennett/page1

Feel free to use them however you'd like, but please give Lisa Stennett a photo credit if you do.
Old March 22, 2017, 06:43   #598
beseventeen
Registered

FALaholic #: 75901
Great pics, thanks for sharing. Loved the pie charts also!!
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 07:02   #599
Ted Kennedy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Some stats from the match:

The fastest runner finished in 53 minutes and carried 10% of his bodyweight. The average competitor (overall) carried 13% of their bodyweight. The lightest weight carried was 6% of the runner's bodyweight, and the Mule carried SIXTY-FRIGGEN-TWO percent of his.

The competitors shooting 308 and larger averaged 13% of their bodyweight as well, so that pretty much kills everybody's excuses on BOTH sides of that argument!

And the females on average carried 14% of their bodyweight, so they made us men look like a bunch of, well, sissies.

And the pic below has the breakdown of gear and caliber shot:

These are great informative stats - thanks for breaking this down!
Old March 22, 2017, 07:08   #600
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Awesome video Matt!!!!!!!! TY