NRA death spiral summary and update

the NRA goose is cooked.

"compromise" is one hell of a drug.

Old July 24, 2019, 21:39   #2
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
I came to the conclusion back in the early 90s the NRA was doing nothing to help firearms owners....Bunch of suits taking our cash and promising great things if they're elected....you see the similarities right??

Haven't given them anything since then. GOA, JPFO, and a few others are money better spent.

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2019, 21:52   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
I came to the conclusion back in the early 90s the NRA was doing nothing to help firearms owners....Bunch of suits taking our cash and promising great things if they're elected....you see the similarities right??

Haven't given them anything since then. GOA, JPFO, and a few others are money better spent.
But you get a sticker like a Yeti sticker

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019, 02:15   #4
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Yeah, the NRA sucks dog balls. I wish I had my "Lifetime" membership money back to give it to JPFO and GOA.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019, 06:32   #5
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
My membership expired last year....joined the Gun Owners Action League (GOAL) in MA. Too bad things have gone sideways for the NRA.
Old July 25, 2019, 07:06   #6
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
As usual, "follow the money" provides all the motive, in these instances.

As one of our gun club members put it, "the NRA is a hot mess!"

Unfortunate, all the way around, but until we fire up the firing squads to mete out punishment for high level corruption (outright theft, really), it will continue unabated.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019, 10:54   #7
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Wow. What a lack of leadership. Seems like an inside job to destroy the NRA was successful.

The video girl kind of reminds me of a cross between Flo from Progressive and Sarah Palin, except young and perky.
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019, 13:40   #8
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
The NRA is just like a number of other organizations that where formed to pursue a noble purpose but somewhere along the way it turned into a cash cow for the people in charge. Their goal becomes cash flow and the ones at the top of the organization live large at every member's or donator's expense. They become a business whose only business is making a good living for a few.

With all the attacks on the Second Amendment around the country over the past few years and I can't remember a single time the NRA did anything in the attempt to stop any of it. But I haven't heard a lot for the others, either!

I thank God for the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL). They are a true junk yard dog protecting the gun rights of Virginians. Too bad they aren't national. VCDL could give a few lessons.
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019, 14:12   #9
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post

With all the attacks on the Second Amendment around the country over the past few years and I can't remember a single time the NRA did anything in the attempt to stop any of it. But I haven't heard a lot for the others, either!

I'm not taking offense due to disparagement, but in defense of NRA, there is some good work being done around the country.

I have found that subscribing to America's First Freedom magazine, instead of American Rifleman or American Hunter keeps me informed as to details of what they are up to, on a monthly basis.

Have I fallen victim to propaganda? Possibly.

Because of reading this publication over recent years, my opinion of NRA has been elevated, but not enough to excuse ongoing shenanigans as Liberty Doll illuminates.
No excuse for deception, obfuscation, nepotism, infighting and misappropriation of funds, etc.

Carlos Castenada
Old July 25, 2019, 14:53   #10
goon
Registered

FALaholic #: 9673
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
I'm not taking offense due to disparagement, but in defense of NRA, there is some good work being done around the country.

I have found that subscribing to America's First Freedom magazine, instead of American Rifleman or American Hunter keeps me informed as to details of what they are up to, on a monthly basis.

Have I fallen victim to propaganda? Possibly.

Because of reading this publication over recent years, my opinion of NRA has been elevated, but not enough to excuse ongoing shenanigans as Liberty Doll illuminates.
No excuse for deception, obfuscation, nepotism, infighting and misappropriation of funds, etc.
The movement she mentions of members withholding dues until reforms are made is a good idea. But the damage may also be done. They pissed me off when they became a Trump cheer squad rather than a pro-2A group, but the corruption situation is a true betrayal of millions of people who counted on them to be a voice.
goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019, 15:19   #11
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
One of my few rules of life:

"Avoid life memberships in any organization."

You never know when you and the organization will no longer see eye to eye, best to not have a dog in the fight when that occurs.

The NRA had better clean house, or it will cease to exist.
Old July 25, 2019, 20:57   #12
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
To carry a pistol in NYS, you have to take the NRA concealed carry course, with no exceptions.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019, 05:54   #13
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post
The movement she mentions of members withholding dues until reforms are made is a good idea. But the damage may also be done. They pissed me off when they became a Trump cheer squad rather than a pro-2A group, but the corruption situation is a true betrayal of millions of people who counted on them to be a voice.
Shit in 2008 they were a McCain cheering section

As far as RKBA went we were far better off with Obama

Before that Throb in the knob Bob Dole

They also supported Romulus

All supported registration and gun bans
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019, 06:19   #14
Charles_The_Hammer
Registered

FALaholic #: 76904
Still waiting on these choads to sue and get the Hughes Amendment taken off the books.
Charles_The_Hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019, 09:15   #15
goon
Registered

FALaholic #: 9673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Shit in 2008 they were a McCain cheering section

As far as RKBA went we were far better off with Obama

Before that Throb in the knob Bob Dole

They also supported Romulus

All supported registration and gun bans
They called me to ask my opinions on Trump’s performance.
Didn’t ask if I supported national ccw reciprocity or removing suppressors from the NFA. I thought they were the National Rifle Association, not the National Trump Association.

But it’s been obvious for some time that collecting money is their primary goal. No wonder they sent me a hundred letters begging for a renewal - Wayne had a quarter million dollars worth of new suits to pay for. WTF does a guy even do with that many suits?
goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019, 10:11   #16
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
At $10K per custom suit it's only 25 suits... which, if he lives in D.C. part of the time and somewhere else part of the time, is only 12 suits per location. But he might be wearing $500 shirts and really expensive belts, shoes, and underwear. He might have 7 or 8 suits per location, several pairs of $1000 - $2000 Italian shoes, and a closet full of expensive shirts.

I'm not defending it - he's a doucherocket. I'm just guessing where the suit money went.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019, 12:51   #17
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
At $10K per custom suit it's only 25 suits... which, if he lives in D.C. part of the time and somewhere else part of the time, is only 12 suits per location. But he might be wearing $500 shirts and really expensive belts, shoes, and underwear. He might have 7 or 8 suits per location, several pairs of $1000 - $2000 Italian shoes, and a closet full of expensive shirts.

I'm not defending it - he's a doucherocket. I'm just guessing where the suit money went.
yeah tailored shit is not cheap Stateside

It's not bad if you buy it and wear it through Customs coming back from India or East Asia.
Likely Wayne didn't ever do that
last suit I had tailored was in Dakka Bangledesh
Black Silk set up...perfectly fitted for a bit over a couple hundred

Folks like Wayne buy this shit at Stateside shops with designer labels
fukk, they could save money flying over and wearing it back

Bangkok costs a bit more but still real cheap
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2019, 07:22   #18
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Bangkok costs a bit more but still real cheap
It's the hookers and booze, not the silk tailored suits, that make it a bit more.
Old August 06, 2019, 13:22   #19
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 15514
And as a wounded beast, the jackels appear. I don't like the NRA situation one bit but politics makes for strange bedfellows.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...usinessweek-v2
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 06, 2019, 22:18   #20
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
And as a wounded beast, the jackels appear. I don't like the NRA situation one bit but politics makes for strange bedfellows.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...usinessweek-v2
That sure reminds me of electing the least worse candidate.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 06, 2019, 23:36   #21
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I've been a life member since 1988 or 89. I admit, I did it as much for economic reasons as political. It was $500 back then, but I was eating beans and rice and once a week at the Weber day-old store, as a poor grad student. But I thought putting it on my company profile would score me points.

It was a lot of money at the time. I've not noticed anything deserving a penny more since then.

But I always sent $5-10 a month to Neal Knox "hardcore", and continue with whatever spare change I have to his son, Chris Knox, who I've had several sit-downs with. I had a serious problem with Bob Brown's "tactics", and it went down-hill from there.

It seems everyone starts all idealistic and shit, and then gets co-opted by the machine.

I knew there was something corrupt about the NRA when the elected Charlton Heston as president - a man who not only actively campaigned FOR the GCA 68, but lamented it didn't go far enough.
Old August 07, 2019, 09:46   #22
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
With the recent shootings (more will no doubt follow) Wayne may well say, “For the good of the NRA ... it’s time for me to leave.” His exit will be by helicopter from the roof of NRA headquarters ... much as the last exit took place in Saigon in 1975.
D P Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 07, 2019, 13:39   #23
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Yeah,

With the "Good ol Boys", operating concept on display from the NRA I'd be more willing to bet the Wayne dies in office rather than leaves under his own power.

He thinks "He IS the the NRA".

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 08, 2019, 23:21   #24
edporch
Registered

FALaholic #: 12834
In addition to some of the others named, The Second Amendment Foundation is in the trenches doing some good work.

https://www.saf.org/
"Property Tax", my FAVORITE oxymoron
edporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2019, 22:18   #25
cowbilly
Registered

FALaholic #: 2908
The NRA is a frustrating operation. Even shooting at their range in Virginia when I was at Ft. Belvoir was irritating. I have been a life member since the early 1990's, joined for competition reasons- I joined the GOA last year and give to the SAF on occasion. Apparently, the NRA still has its political pull as Trump mentions them often. Few if any politicians give any credit to the GOA or SAF even though they seem to be more action oriented.

All gunowners need to go over to Pratt and the GOA-let them fill the void- I have no problem with the SAF either-definitely need to unite under one banner though to counter the latest political push.
cowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2019, 05:21   #26
bubbagump
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbilly View Post
The NRA is a frustrating operation. Even shooting at their range in Virginia when I was at Ft. Belvoir was irritating. I have been a life member since the early 1990's, joined for competition reasons- I joined the GOA last year and give to the SAF on occasion. Apparently, the NRA still has its political pull as Trump mentions them often. Few if any politicians give any credit to the GOA or SAF even though they seem to be more action oriented.

All gunowners need to go over to Pratt and the GOA-let them fill the void- I have no problem with the SAF either-definitely need to unite under one banner though to counter the latest political push.
^^^ This, and the reason I joined as well.

I do find it interesting that many, even most of the folks cheering the demise of the NRA are not life members, or even members at all. Perhaps they rationalize the problems at NRA to justify their non-participation? Also instructive that NRA is the one organization that is most responsible for them being able to acquire and enjoy any firearms at all. Because by now, were it not for NRA general private ownership of firearms would almost certainly be a thing of the past. Talk about bitin' the hand ...

For the record, LaPierre is a douchenozzle and should have been flushed with the rest of the trash a long time ago.
bubbagump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2019, 10:43   #27
G1user
Registered

FALaholic #: 6546
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
^^^ This, and the reason I joined as well.

I do find it interesting that many, even most of the folks cheering the demise of the NRA are not life members, or even members at all. Perhaps they rationalize the problems at NRA to justify their non-participation? Also instructive that NRA is the one organization that is most responsible for them being able to acquire and enjoy any firearms at all. Because by now, were it not for NRA general private ownership of firearms would almost certainly be a thing of the past. Talk about bitin' the hand ...

For the record, LaPierre is a douchenozzle and should have been flushed with the rest of the trash a long time ago.
whereas NRA is a fudd "sporting purpose" org, not a pro-2A/pro-freedom org,

how is more compromise supposed to secure freedom and individual 2A civil rights?

really would like to see an answer to that question.
Old August 11, 2019, 13:26   #28
bubbagump
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1user View Post
whereas NRA is a fudd "sporting purpose" org, not a pro-2A/pro-freedom org,

how is more compromise supposed to secure freedom and individual 2A civil rights?

really would like to see an answer to that question.
1. True. Which explains, or rather pre-empts the question implied by the second comment.

2. It won't. It never does.
bubbagump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2019, 22:10   #29
G1user
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
1. True. Which explains, or rather pre-empts the question implied by the second comment.

2. It won't. It never does.
agreed,

then very best case, NRA may accidentally on occasion, unintentionally be co-belligerent with pro-2A liberty activism against gun control.

otherwise, NRA is a deny/disrupt org, if you want to put it politely, a diversion of resources away from pro-2A freedom.

me, I just call em as I see em, NRA is a "more gun control" org, compromisers.
Old August 11, 2019, 23:59   #30
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
They got rid of Dana Loesch. That leaves old WLP, and athough I like the NRA, who wants to look at WLP?
Old August 12, 2019, 06:15   #31
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
They got rid of Dana Loesch. That leaves old WLP, and athough I like the NRA, who wants to look at WLP?
Do tell.
What happened with Dana?
She took major flak for the NRA in recent times.

Carlos Castenada
Old August 12, 2019, 06:31   #32
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I think when they shut down something called NRATV, Dana Loesch went with it. I read they and their former ad agency are having legal problems and DL was technically an employee of that agency.

Last edited by Mebsuta; August 12, 2019 at 06:38.
Mebsuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2019, 06:38   #33
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
I think when they shut down something called NRATV, Dana Loesch went with it.
Ahhh, yes. Too bad. Thanks.

Carlos Castenada
Old August 12, 2019, 21:56   #34
Bug Tussell
Registered

FALaholic #: 2872
I'm gonna miss the wine of the month club.
Old August 12, 2019, 22:43   #35
G1user
Registered

NRA planned to buy a $6million mansion in Dallas for chief Wayne LaPierre last year, leaked records from the New York Attorney General's office show

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...erre-year.html