The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Class III Files

Notices

Old November 26, 2017, 21:10   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
School me doing an SBR

The paperwork part for our rich uncle that is. I can handle hacking the barrel off.. I have (or will have) a suitable candidate for a shorty. Still all legit and stuff, just thinking on it. So, I get some forms from somewhere, get some pictures and finger prints, fill out the paperwork and send it all off with some coin and wait? Any little trips/tricks I should know?

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 22:35   #2
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
I read his tutorial

http://johnpierceesq.com/the-complet...he-new-form-1/
rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 23:38   #3
K. Funk
Registered
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
Pretty simple, I just did 2. They got approved in about 6-7 months. Will you be doing it as an individual? If you have any specific questions, PM me any time.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 12:18   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
If willing to pin or tack weld your can only have to do a single form on can if reach 16".

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 21:04   #5
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
Before dropping the $200 on the stamp plus other associated costs, and living with a restricted item, ask yourself "Why do I want a SBR?" and decide what you will really do iwth it.

The guys spending $ and time waiting to do a 14.5" barrel are in my opinion missing something. If you are low drag high speed enough that that 1.5" difference makes a difference, then you are being issued one with a shorter barrel and happy switch anyway.

Now if I had the time and extra $ I could see SBRing a 9mm AR and using a full stock and a 4-8 inch barrel and it being fun....
Old December 01, 2017, 09:42   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnogger View Post
Before dropping the $200 on the stamp plus other associated costs, and living with a restricted item, ask yourself "Why do I want a SBR?" and decide what you will really do iwth it.

The guys spending $ and time waiting to do a 14.5" barrel are in my opinion missing something. If you are low drag high speed enough that that 1.5" difference makes a difference, then you are being issued one with a shorter barrel and happy switch anyway.

Now if I had the time and extra $ I could see SBRing a 9mm AR and using a full stock and a 4-8 inch barrel and it being fun....
Second most popular barrel length on the Ponderosa is 14.5/14.7" with pinned suppressor adapters and pIle of multicaliber quick change cans. Keep suppressor in briefcase and carry 14.7" rifle as truck rifle often. That way if go in doc office or church can is not left in truck where a snatch and grab might get it before alarm gets me to truck. Favorite length barrel is 18" but is not very handy once add a can. I shoot with cans on rifles more than without. Trying to keep what's left of my hearing and even goof muffs don't repel all the noise and pressure.

Some might look at setup above and ask why have a crush washer between can and shoulder of barrel. If decide to move can it's super easy to use cut off wheel and chop into washer at each of four tack welds without messing up shoulder of barrel, threads with a blind pin or suppressor. Little bit of weld left on can and barrel are easily cleaned up with a grinder and then both look unmolested. If don't want to run a can a Noveske Flaming Pig with crush washer on 12.5" barrel comes out 16.15" as an FYI. Have a 13.7" barrel trying to get up to 16" with AAC 51T Ratchet Mount suppressor adapter but looks like will have to drop a 1/2" to 5/8" thread adapter between the two to get 16". Will still be sightly shorter than a 14.7" with same adapter but only by about 2/10".
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old December 01, 2017, 11:20   #7
PBR Streetgang
Registered

FALaholic #: 8684
Pistol with a brace is cheaper and easier.

--Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

'You have to pinch yourself - a Marxist radical who all his life has been
mentored by, sat at the feet of, worshiped with, befriended, endorsed the
philosophy of, funded and been in turn funded, politically promoted and
supported by a nexus comprising black power anti-white racists, Jew-haters,
revolutionary Marxists, unrepentant former terrorists and Chicago mobsters,
is on the verge of becoming President of the United States. And apparently
it's considered impolite to say so.'
PBR Streetgang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 20:01   #8
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
Pistol with a brace is cheaper and easier.
I've seen braces cost more than a stamp.
Old December 02, 2017, 21:50   #9
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I've seen braces cost more than a stamp.
Look at outdoor sports USA. They sell the kak brace kit with pistol buffer and lower parts kit pretty cheap. Not much different in ergonomics from a stock.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 22:07   #10
Falfan2017
Registered

https://outdoorsportsusa.com/AR-15-O...scription=true

99$ kit trigger and lower parts kit and buffer tube brace and everything.

I got no affiliation with that company but I built a pistol with that kit and was very happy with how it turned out.
Old December 05, 2017, 15:18   #11
Ky
Registered

FALaholic #: 77615
Processing time has gotten better. I mailed a Form 1 on 6-22 it was approved on 11-29.
Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 20:32   #12
downsouth
Registered

FALaholic #: 78260
Did you file as an individual? My trust stamps take a year.
downsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 21:54   #13
2barearms
Black Rifles Matter
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
https://outdoorsportsusa.com/AR-15-O...scription=true

99$ kit trigger and lower parts kit and buffer tube brace and everything.

I got no affiliation with that company but I built a pistol with that kit and was very happy with how it turned out.

I have one of those on my Noveske 7.62x39. Kicks my ass every time. Shockwave is definitely the correct name......if you shoulder it expect some
bruising. The sig stock is going on that and the 300 BO pistol.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2017, 10:39   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
I have one of those on my Noveske 7.62x39. Kicks my ass every time. Shockwave is definitely the correct name......if you shoulder it expect some
bruising. The sig stock is going on that and the 300 BO pistol.
Had someone give me a Shockwave pistol kit. Tube, spring and buffer, maybe that's the reason. They went ahead and swapped to rifle stock then pinned a device to get it to rifle length. Asked them if wanted their original parts back and the brace was only part they took. That might be my clue that if use it maybe slap it on a 5.7×28 upper.
Old December 10, 2017, 10:46   #15
Falfan2017
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Had someone give me a Shockwave pistol kit. Tube, spring and buffer, maybe that's the reason. They went ahead and swapped to rifle stock then pinned a device to get it to rifle length. Asked them if wanted their original parts back and the brace was only part they took. That might be my clue that if use it maybe slap it on a 5.7×28 upper.
Ya I put it on a 7.62x39 pistol as well. 10" barrel. The shockwave is sharp in the back and digs into your shoulder. It's not too bad though. Feels like lighter recoil than a 308
Old December 13, 2017, 04:43   #16
Ky
Registered

FALaholic #: 77615
Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Did you file as an individual? My trust stamps take a year.
Yes, I filed as an individual.
Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2017, 12:43   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

About to do two more one stamp SBR's and shopping suppressors. Want shortest direct thread sealed cans possible. One is going on 12.5" barrel, other is going on 13.7" barrel. Looking at some of the 4" to 5" options currently. Found some shorter but price is out of my range for the new high tech under 4" cans. For the 13.7" considering a "moderator" that reduces sound signature but about 10 dB louder than most suppressors. Some have looked at are short, in my budget and on the 13.7" if can reduce sound and blast without it getting too long will sacrifice hearing safe. Anyone own any of the super short rifle cans or moderators? Plan to buy 30 caliber but both going on 6.8 rifles and will be "pinned" to avoid a second stamp.
Old Yesterday, 10:58   #18
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Before you drop the $$$ on the stamp (never mind the wait time) give these a look. One of the goodies I've asked for Santa to bring me. Comes in adjustable and a fixed versions, is rigid, and seems to ACTUALLY be purposeful, were you to have a hand injured (or wanted to go full Rambo and have one on each arm!). I think the adjustable versions work with their own tube, the fixed ones will clamp onto about any standard pistol tube.

Other than the can this essentially eliminated the need for an SBR'd AR. The stamp really gains you nothing.

Adjustable:

Fixed:

https://www.swatmag.com/article/embr...-pistol-brace/

Seriously though, the SBR is all about having a "stock" on a pistol-length firearm, right? Well this isn't a "stock" but I've used other things as hammers quite effectively too.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote