The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old September 11, 2018, 17:05   #201
jcornss
Registered

FALaholic #: 37954
I'm glad the big hill was toward the end. I survived the run better than I thought I would. Many, many problems with muh guns hurt though. Was still a great time. Thanks to everyone who helped put this event together for us. No doubt, it's a massive undertaking.
jcornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2018, 19:56   #202
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
I haven't even seen them all yet, so I probably shouldn't commit myself like this. But I'm going to go ahead and say that this is my favorite picture from the match. This is just after he came up the big hill, and I'm pretty sure I can see what's going through his head right now.

The fact that he does it all with a Reese's shirt on just makes it that much more funny! "Body by Reece's" :-)
Hey!

He looked at me like that too that day!

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2018, 20:02   #203
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Old September 11, 2018, 21:42   #204
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
^

Ha-ha.

I think that look was a momentary and unguarded reaction to the pre-photo prompting from Matt:

"Hey, you don't look like you're having fun!"

No. Shit.

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 07:31   #205
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
After looking at Matt’s spreadsheet and seeing the numbers.

I performed solid C- work. Both shooting and running.

But I identify as B-

I also found a few encouraging takeaways.

It seems my training routine is working.

I might be up for the “Most Improved” award.

If there was one.

It’s ONLY took three years.

Last edited by TxGunDawg; September 12, 2018 at 07:45.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 08:28   #206
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post

But I identify as B-

If there was one.

I see a BIG difference in how you were performing. Keep crushing it!
Old September 12, 2018, 08:31   #207
kotengu
Registered

OK - someone paying more attention than me pointed out that the scores are correct on Practiscore if you dig deep enough.

Go here for the 5k Results: https://www.practiscore.com/results/...3-b5aeb3a8cbe2

And here for the 10k results:
https://www.practiscore.com/results/...3-7092f148ab6b

I'll continue to work on making it easier to find - sorry for the delay and confusion.

And then we have two more follow-up items:

1. Please send any photos or videos you're willing to share to legionrungun@gmail.com

2. There were several lost and found items (including a prize table item) left over after everyone had left. Please email the address above if you've lost anything and they'll dig through the pile to see if it's there. Or we may find it still on the course next year (it happens every match!).

More to come...
Old September 12, 2018, 12:58   #208
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Yeah, that will be the last time I don't run my own backup run time.

Old September 12, 2018, 13:38   #209
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
I've been looking more and more at the stage scores, etc.

I'd like to shout out to Kelly. I was feeling bad for her when she showed up to the second dummy drag of the day. No problem... she kicked my ass dragging the dummy that had to weigh about twice what she does.

I told that to April. She said, "Is she the one that runs her own match, and runs the old gun thing in uniform and heels?"

I said "Yep. She's the one. And when she got back from running this match, and I was laying there trying to keep from dying, she went to the grocery store to buy food so she could cook for 40 people - which she did. And it was awesome."

April looked at me and said, "I'm sorry, honey." [... you're getting your ass beaten by that young thing ...].

Jeff, you are too kind really. It was my pleasure to make dinner.

Matt, this match was absolutely amazing. You obviously know what a good job you’ve done just by the sheer amount of people tagging you on FB, but I don’t think we can say it too much. There are a lot of moving parts to a successful RNG, let alone one involving such a big organization, that is a massive undertaking and you completely nailed it. People kept thanking us as RO's and all I could think of was that I was just proud and lucky to be able to be a part of it.

Legion RNG was the hardest RNG I have done to date. I can’t put my finger on it, maybe it was the obstacles, the terrain, the Hill of Death, but it all came together to put up a damn good fight. I loved every second of it. I know when I was coming up that hill and you asked me what I was thinking, you thought I was lying or putting on a happy face about the fatigue, but I really DO love it. I'm dumb but it's a good kind of dumb...? What's that song, "if you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough"

I loved that the stages were blind. It added another exciting twist to the match, and kept you on your feet. I actually kind of wish all RNG was like this now that I've gone through it. The stages were simple enough to understand and shoot right away, but tricky enough where people timed out constantly. I like a good challenge and not knowing what to expect...seems more true to a real life situation.

I felt okay about the running. I finished 5/38 on run time which was higher than I thought, I really felt like I was dragging ass. I had a lotta ammo with me since I really didn't know what to expect. My rig was comfortable. I am SO GLAD Matt talked me into wearing pants. Especially in Dysentary Pond. Blechhhhh.

Stage 1 - The dummy drag inspired me to carry a rope or strap for next time. My hands are little and I can't really grab onto much (down, Jimmy!). I basically drug him by his foot. He outweighs me by at least 40lbs but whatever, see above (about being dumb and tough). Made it happen. Got to the moving platform and shot it offhand, standing. Told this to the group later and everyone laughed at me, lol. In the heat of the moment it didn't occur to me to shoot seated, which would have been smarter. Whatever though, y'all can suck it bc I was still 5/38 on that.

Stage 2 - This is where it started to go downhill for me. When I got to the stage I noticed my elevation turret (normally on 0) was at 16 MOA. I had no idea which way it turned, so I took a stab at it and backed it down to 0. That was also the first time I'd shot out of a moving vehicle. I dropped at least one per target, it just seemed so fast. Def need to work on this. Got to the VTAC and my scope was def off. I felt really proud of myself here. With the clock ticking and ammo just flying downrange, I stayed calm and just went back and forth on the turret until I found what I perceived to be right. Once that was dialed in I made the hits on the clock. 30/38 on this one. I lost a LOT of time and ammo re-zeroing on the clock.

I had no idea what my scope was turning on. I had a cable tie with me so I attempted to tie it into place (after my attempts to stake it with my knife didn't work OOPS). Headed off to the cave.

Stage 3 - The cave. I RO'd this stage that morning, so I knew where the targets were...that was a big benefit. I finished 2/38 on this stage but I don't think of it as something to brag about because it was such a big advantage to be down there ahead of time IMO.

Stage 4 - I was thrilled to see Rescue Randy #2. What is it with you men all laying down on the job, do I have to do everything around here?? I was getting tired by this point. Again I drug him by his foot. It wasn't smooth, it was more akin to a hyena trying to drag a water buffalo, lots of twisting and jerking and, errr, God knows what it looked like. But I did it. Steel pistol targets went down fine, missed the clay. After the run they offered to help me drag it back but I declined, as I knew they most likely didn't offer that to the men shooting the stage and it would have been an unfair advantage. So up the hill I dragged him again 16/38 on this one.

Stage 5 - The pond was disgusting, mad props to Matt for dreaming up new torture. I was just trying not to fall and get the brain eating amoeba up my nose. Even though I'd cable tied my scope, the turret was still not right. Spent a good 30-40 seconds and another 30 rd mag hashing it out. But once I was on I was dead nuts on. I loved the puzzles on this stage. I made the hits really fast but obviously the guessing on the elevation set me back again. 31/38 here.

At this point I didn't trust my rifle being slung on my back. I carried it out in front of me, which I hate, because it totally zaps my energy. But I sure as hell was not going to be trying to dial it in on the long range stage.

Stage 6 - This was cool, loved the horse idea. All of the close stuff was easy. I think I maybe had one or two make ups. Struggled on the 300. Dismounted, ran and shot the pistol targets, came back. I guess this gamer move made Matt rewrite the stage brief for later (hey if there are holes we're gonna find 'em) . I finally hit the 300...at 180.21. I was heartbroken, lol. I usually do well on long range. 16/38 on this.

Stage 7 - I was out of rifle ammo at this point so I intended to shoot it pistol. I know y'all are all like, rifle rifle rifle but in CQB at least for play time I like pistol better. If I had irons on my rifle I'd be more open to it but it's harder IMO to assess blind targets through a scope or coming on/off the glass vs the open sites of the pistol. 14/38 here. Didn't set the world on fire, just wanted to make sure I got everyone.

Overall I ended up 10/38. I really wish I didn't have the scope problems, but what are you going to do. This is why I love RNG though, because you work through it and you find the answer. If this was 3G I'd have just given up and gamed it to lessen the penalties. But with RNG it's different. Being calm under duress is something I continue to work on and apply daily, whether in shooting or working or whatever.

I had an absolute blast RO'ing. I love being part of a team and helping behind the scenes. I felt very lucky and proud to be a part of this. The cave was a really cool stage, and it was neat to see the first time shooters reaction to it. I think that's what I really enjoy most about RNG, are bringing new people to it, just as you all did for me.

I couldn't help myself, had to make a sign for the entrance

This is Batty Koda, I named him...

A little cave exploring in between competitors;

I did bust my ass pretty well in the cave...I was chasing after Chris Myers, who was fast AF. I had my headlamp on red and the lighting was not good enough...I tripped running up the rocks and smashed my timer on the ground and broke it. Arm is healing up nicely though

Me & Mel painted our nails. I just love her so much. The ladies clique of RNG is a very tight knit one.

I had a LOT of fun cooking. I actually love to cook, especially in situations like this where lots of good friends are gathered round. I am of the opinion once you dine with someone you become closer friends

Our spread was pretty dope if you ask me.

Sunday night I was soooo tired. But at that point I figured what's another hour...so I stayed for mexican dinner with some of you. I'm so glad I did, my stomach seriously hurt from laughing. Hit the road back to NC at 10:30pm and walked in the door at 5:30am. No sense in sleeping for a half hour so just got right back into Monday's grind.

All in all, this was an 11/10 experience and I will do it again next year in a heartbeat.
"I know the stories of women murdering their ways across campaigns. Riding into combat on horseback and creating rivers of blood where they went. I'll be damned if I'm going to pretend they can't be killers in their own right."
beseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 13:39   #210
kotengu
Registered

Some stats:

We ended up with 144 total competitors. 26 of those were 5SFG (3 ran on both days), 2 were Gold Star Fathers, and 5 were women (1 ran on both days). 3 were kids, and the youngest who ran and shot was 11.

Here's the breakdown to show how many people failed to finish each stage (top bar graph), how many people failed at multiple stages (bottom bar graph), and how each day's weight classes filled out. I'm happy to report only one person failed every stage they attempted to shoot. And they kept going and never quit!

Conditions played a HUGE factor, so I wanted to document those too:

And this was totally informal and NOT part of the official match, but we had 11 people who ran both the 5k on Saturday and the 10k on Sunday. Many of them asked me, just for fun, to combine their scores to see how they stacked up against each other.

Last edited by kotengu; September 13, 2018 at 16:28.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 13:39   #211
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:

But I identify as B-

If there was one.

Mike I think you're amazing. You look great too, training all the time for RNG really does make us rather svelte doesn't it
"I know the stories of women murdering their ways across campaigns. Riding into combat on horseback and creating rivers of blood where they went. I'll be damned if I'm going to pretend they can't be killers in their own right."
Old September 12, 2018, 14:36   #212
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
All in all, this was an 11/10 experience and I will do it again next year in a heartbeat.
This is such an awesome AAR - thanks for writing it! And thanks even more for coming so far and working so hard all weekend. There was NO WAY I could have stayed up all night Sunday night to drive home, much less gone to work Monday. Or for that matter, stayed up half the night Saturday doing whatever it was you guys were doing in the hallways and in shopping carts. But I'm really glad you all did, and that you had a good time. I wish I wasn't so old and tired so I could keep up!

I do hate that you had scope issues, as I know you could have crushed this course if that didn't happen. One thing we noticed as Sunday wore on that was sort of related: the high end optics (Vortex Razor, Leupold VX6, etc) never had an issue with fogging or losing zero. Most of the medium to lower end optics had issues with both. Maybe that means they're better optics, or maybe that means the folks who pay that much for an optic REALLY take care of it and watch out for it. I know that's not your issue here, but figured it was a good place to pass it on to everyone. Curious to know if Bruce was happy with his new Nightforce?

And for the record - I wish all stages at every match were shot blind. I used to always try to do it that way, but it's just too hard to manage from a logistics standpoint. And someone ALWAYS cheats. To be fair, the main reason everything was blind this time was because I knew I would have MY plan for how things go, but then 5SFG would show up and change everything at the last minute. So no issues if nobody else knows it's all different than planned, right?
Old September 12, 2018, 14:51   #213
kotengu
Registered

I forgot -

Quote:
...Dysentary Pond....

Lisa got onto me early about that nasty pond. Not to make things weird, but she tried several times to explain the difference between men and women to me (ha!) and how it's not fair to ask a woman to go through something like that. I almost skipped it because of that, but left the "out" of allowing people to skirt the edge of the water and never get past knee deep. That also provided a good safety check so some dude with 45lbs on his back wouldn't slip, end up facedown in armpit deep water, and drown.

But from what I saw, not one single person skirted the edge - and everyone just plunged right through the nasty middle of that mess. Oh well, I tried to be nice.

And we may have to have a lesson for about half the folks about protecting your primary weapon. I was amazed how many people left their rifle slung and/or plunged it right into the water instead of holding it above their head or on their shoulders to keep it dry. Maybe after slipping and sliding into deeper and muddier water on Stage 1 on Sunday nobody cared anymore about either?

If it makes you feel better, I've been through that pond four times now over the last six months, and even went fully under water for a bit. And I'm completely fine - no symptoms of anything at all. I'm pretty sure it just LOOKS nasty, and doesn't have anything too bad in it. Unless all these crazy RNG ideas are coming from a critter that swam up my nose into my brain or something...
Old September 12, 2018, 18:17   #214
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Quote:
Mike I think you're amazing. You look great too, training all the time for RNG really does make us rather svelte doesn't it

Svelte=Yes

Svelte=No

TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 19:02   #215
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Svelte & Sexy - both of you!
Old September 12, 2018, 19:21   #216
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Not to make things weird, but she tried several times to explain the difference between men and women to me (ha!) and how it's not fair to ask a woman to go through something like that. I almost skipped it because of that, but left the "out" of allowing people to skirt the edge of the water and never get past knee deep. That also provided a good safety check so some dude with 45lbs on his back wouldn't slip, end up facedown in armpit deep water, and drown.
I really see no difference. That's what I kinda like about RNG or really, shooting sports in general, there are no concessions for being a woman, as it should be. The pond was gross AF regardless of your gender Honestly, IMO it was better to just go right through it. The edge seemed sloppier and also riddled with sunken branches, which I was sure would trip me.

Quote:
S

Svelte=YES

You're both beautiful to me
Old September 12, 2018, 19:58   #217
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Matt, this match was absolutely amazing. You obviously know what a good job you’ve done just by the sheer amount of people tagging you on FB, but I don’t think we can say it too much. There are a lot of moving parts to a successful RNG, let alone one involving such a big organization, that is a massive undertaking and you completely nailed it. People kept thanking us as RO's and all I could think of was that I was just proud and lucky to be able to be a part of it.
Can't be said enough so quoted!

Quote:
Legion RNG was the hardest RNG I have done to date.
Same here, but the multiple days ROing really took me down.

Quote:
I lost a LOT of time and ammo re-zeroing on the clock.
The NX8 has a zero-stop

[QUOTE=beseventeen;4633337]
I couldn't help myself, had to make a sign for the entrance

That sign had me in stitches...epic!

Quote:
Sunday night I was soooo tired. But at that point I figured what's another hour...so I stayed for mexican dinner with some of you. I'm so glad I did, my stomach seriously hurt from laughing. Hit the road back to NC at 10:30pm and walked in the door at 5:30am. No sense in sleeping for a half hour so just got right back into Monday's grind.

Jeff, Jimmy, and I made the 'mistake' of heading into the bar to use the big TV to watch my video footage when we got back from mexican...Trevor and Brandon were there. Jimmy wisely went to sleep at some point...Jeff and I were in there with Trevor and Brandon til...4am? Worth every dead brain cell and lost minute

I woke up Monday and rolled out about noon.

My feet still hurt...and my CGM got shoved into an organ by the plate carrier I think...but I went to the gym today anyway.

Old September 12, 2018, 19:59   #218
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Svelte=Yes

I never noticed you're a 'gazelle' runner...figures.

Old September 12, 2018, 20:56   #219
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post

Jeff, Jimmy, and I made the 'mistake' of heading into the bar to use the big TV to watch my video footage when we got back from mexican...Trevor and Brandon were there. Jimmy wisely went to sleep at some point...Jeff and I were in there with Trevor and Brandon til...4am? Worth every dead brain cell and lost minute

I woke up Monday and rolled out about noon.

My feet still hurt...and my CGM got shoved into an organ by the plate carrier I think...but I went to the gym today anyway.
Hahaha! I figured you were up and gone early. I didn't get out of there until around 3:30 or so.

All the pre-run work most definitely had an effect on me. Sorry to hear about your squished organ.

I swear, Trevor was up until 4am every single night with somebody. Then he'd be out on the course at 5am hitting it hard again. Dude biked around the course on Friday because his sidexside wasn't there yet, and even carried his friggen bike up the hill just to see it. Crazy...
Old September 12, 2018, 21:00   #220
kotengu
Registered

And SOO many people commented on the sign. It's the little things that make a difference - thank you!
Old September 12, 2018, 22:56   #221
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:

Worth every minute.

I made Nashville for an 11AM meeting. That hurt me bad. I remember thinking that if I were Kelly I'd probably have shown up for 0800 with coffee and donuts that I'd just whipped up.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old September 12, 2018, 23:13   #222
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
And we may have to have a lesson for about half the folks about protecting your primary weapon. I was amazed how many people left their rifle slung and/or plunged it right into the water instead of holding it above their head or on their shoulders to keep it dry....
We saw a LOT of people with malfunctioning rifles on stage 6 because of that pond. I was surprised at lube that seemed to have disappeared, but after thinking about it over the weekend I started wondering if the clay particulate (kicked up by walking across the bottom) actually bound up the oils in people's BCGs.

There were multiple rifles' BCGs that looked and sounded like they'd been carried in a chalk bag.
Old September 13, 2018, 06:11   #223
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
...if I were Kelly I'd probably have shown up for 0800 with coffee and donuts that I'd just whipped up.
Old September 13, 2018, 06:45   #224
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Worth every minute.

I made Nashville for an 11AM meeting. That hurt me bad. I remember thinking that if I were Kelly I'd probably have shown up for 0800 with coffee and donuts that I'd just whipped up.
LOLOLOLOL

Quote:
And SOO many people commented on the sign. It's the little things that make a difference - thank you!
Good. I was just trying to be funny I was surprised only two people actually asked me about the candy. And I said, "did you shoot the stage clean?" "No..." "well there you go."

Quote:
I swear, Trevor was up until 4am every single night with somebody. Then he'd be out on the course at 5am hitting it hard again. Dude biked around the course on Friday because his sidexside wasn't there yet, and even carried his friggen bike up the hill just to see it. Crazy...
Dude is superhuman. He must be one hell of a cook, I swear. Obviously never skips leg day either

Quote:
I wish I could have stayed. I love hearing your play-by-plays, especially first hand!!
Old September 13, 2018, 07:57   #225
Bryan 45
Registered

FALaholic #: 17465
Kelly- Next time, use some electrical tape (I prefer black, because it make me look slimmer) to tape your turrets to the scope body.

Did you notice most of the Group guys? Everything on them is taped. Straps on packs, straps on chest rigs, scope caps, even turret covers. I was surprised I didn't see anyone's shoes taped to their ankles. But, on Sunday the mud was plenty thin.

These stories of hi-jinx are enough to make anyone want to RO this match.
Bryan 45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2018, 08:42   #226
kotengu
Registered

"Did you shoot the stage clean?"

Genius - well played.

Good call on the tape, Bryan. I started taping my buckes after having one come loose. I'll see where that needs to be expanded - good to know I'm copying smart folks.
Old September 13, 2018, 09:53   #227
Bryan 45
Registered

Matt- i want to say again- I love the shooting boxes in the cave. Makes that stage so much safer, and actually requires some marksmanship.

The first 5K you ran, I was the RO in the cave. I remember following one shooter and saying more than once "SLOW DOWN." You know how you can watch someone do something, and it's obvious they are neither comfortable doing it, or competent at the speed they're doing it. There's no real way to tell someone to STOP if they haven't broke the 180, swept themselves, or ND'd, but I was really worried one of those things were next.

The boxes make the cave fun again. Except when they're covered in mud and it makes the illusion that you may have intentionally camouflaged them. That's a good way to slow down too.
Old September 13, 2018, 09:57   #228
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan 45 View Post
Kelly- Next time, use some electrical tape (I prefer black, because it make me look slimmer) to tape your turrets to the scope body.
and thanks. Electrical tape would have made sense. I really just like to learn the hard way on EVERYTHING EVER OMGGGGGGGGGGG.
Old September 13, 2018, 10:06   #229
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:

These stories of hi-jinx are enough to make anyone want to RO this match.
Shooters are amazing and entertaining creatures.

I think EVERY smart thing I have ever added to my shooting skills since 2000 was something I watched a shooter do and thought "That's smart...I hope I remember to do that next time."

That...and of course "All ROs go to heaven"

Old September 13, 2018, 16:05   #230
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Matt- i want to say again- I love the shooting boxes in the cave. Makes that stage so much safer, and actually requires some marksmanship.

The first 5K you ran, I was the RO in the cave. I remember following one shooter and saying more than once "SLOW DOWN." You know how you can watch someone do something, and it's obvious they are neither comfortable doing it, or competent at the speed they're doing it. There's no real way to tell someone to STOP if they haven't broke the 180, swept themselves, or ND'd, but I was really worried one of those things were next.

The boxes make the cave fun again. Except when they're covered in mud and it makes the illusion that you may have intentionally camouflaged them. That's a good way to slow down too.
Thank you, sir - that means a lot coming from you!
Old September 13, 2018, 16:33   #231
kotengu
Registered

Official match pictures are up at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/163548...57699713389221

As I mentioned at the match, please use them however you'd like, but give Lisa Stennett a photo credit if you do. If you see any pictures of yourself you'd like to be removed, simply send me a message and we'll take them down ASAP.

It's hilarious that Flickr chose to use the horse as the cover photo. :-)
Old September 13, 2018, 19:24   #232
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Official match pictures are up at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/163548...57699713389221

As I mentioned at the match, please use them however you'd like, but give Lisa Stennett a photo credit if you do. If you see any pictures of yourself you'd like to be removed, simply send me a message and we'll take them down ASAP.

It's hilarious that Flickr chose to use the horse as the cover photo. :-)
I gotta wear shitty pants and a drop pouch more often...makes my ass look skinny.

Old September 13, 2018, 20:11   #233
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
I gotta wear shitty pants and a drop pouch more often...makes my ass look skinny.
It's your ass that makes your ass look skinny -
Old September 13, 2018, 20:28   #234
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Says the guy. who, if he rotates 90° becomes almost invisible.

Looked at the pictures. Tell Lisa she did a great job capturing the event, as usual. Lots of determined looks on the faces of the competitors. That tells me the hosts and staff did a great job putting on a match that tested the physical, mental and mechanical aspects of each competitor.

Were the wooden gladii the trophies for the match? If so, what a neat thing to be able to hang on your "I love me" wall.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2018, 20:30   #235
jcornss
Registered

Quote:
We saw a LOT of people with malfunctioning rifles on stage 6 because of that pond. I was surprised at lube that seemed to have disappeared, but after thinking about it over the weekend I started wondering if the clay particulate (kicked up by walking across the bottom) actually bound up the oils in people's BCGs.

There were multiple rifles' BCGs that looked and sounded like they'd been carried in a chalk bag.
I was suffering long before stage 6........ Like, from stage 1 lol. I can't really blame the pond.

Last edited by jcornss; September 13, 2018 at 21:18.
Old September 13, 2018, 21:08   #236
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post

Were the wooden gladii the trophies for the match? If so, what a neat thing to be able to hang on your "I love me" wall.
Correct.

It has got me thinking...

Old September 13, 2018, 22:41   #237
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Correct.

It has got me thinking...
It is a 5th Group "thing" that goes way back in their history. Its meaning is much more than a simple wooden sword. I would try to explain it, but I wouldn't do it justice.

All I know is they got really mad when the Night Stalkers (badasses themselves of a different sort) gave someone a wooden sword and took great issue with it. The Night Stalkers found a different sort of trophy after that.
Old September 13, 2018, 22:55   #238
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
It is a 5th Group "thing" that goes way back in their history. Its meaning is much more than a simple wooden sword. I would try to explain it, but I wouldn't do it justice.

All I know is they got really mad when the Night Stalkers (badasses themselves of a different sort) gave someone a wooden sword and took great issue with it. The Night Stalkers found a different sort of trophy after that.
So something in metal would be...wrong?

We need to talk offline...I need to see the heraldry...shirley there is a place for making here.

Old September 14, 2018, 06:10   #239
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
So something in metal would be...wrong?

We need to talk offline...I need to see the heraldry...shirley there is a place for making here.
Not sure. Let's talk -
Old September 14, 2018, 16:46   #240
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:

https://youtu.be/KM2K7sV-K74
Old September 14, 2018, 16:49   #241
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornss View Post
I was suffering long before stage 6........ Like, from stage 1 lol. I can't really blame the pond.
Admitting here that your rifle was one of several i had in mind with the dry/scrapy/chalk-bag thing. I felt bad that it was giving you trouble.

I made some really bad decisions that run, but three good decisions I made were:

1. threw a buncha goo on the BCG before I headed out

2. kept the rifle out of the water - even when I fell to my knees

3. stuck my head under the cooler of ice water before I left out on the run

The list of bad decisions is much, much longer than ^ that.
Old September 14, 2018, 18:37   #242
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Haha - I was there too, but too lazy to go find the clip. Well played, shirley!
Old September 14, 2018, 21:05   #243
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Nerd chart resurrected.

Normal distribution (bell curve) of LF participants. There's the 80/20 of the 80/20 (top 4%), top 20% (Pareto Law), Middle of the Distribution, Bottom 20, and Bottom 4%.

Kinda cool how there are almost always breaks in times and/or scores at these 'markers'. The most pronounced I've ever seen was when I ran my first OK Run 'n' Gun: I was the top of the Middle (and exactly 80th percentile ...) - and a full 10 minutes behind the next guy, who was just a minute (or less) behind the group times in the Top 20% group. My time was only a minute (or less) from the people in the middle group - though they trend downwards with each 'place'. And then there's another break at the next grouping...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 7.17.23 PM.png (33.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by brunop; September 14, 2018 at 21:22.
Old September 14, 2018, 21:52   #244
kotengu
Registered

I love you, man!

Those two little guys at the bottom look so sad and lonely. And I've got a long way to go before I catch Brian Vaught.
Old September 14, 2018, 22:32   #245
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

You can tell the 80/20 is a "group" because the eight guys in it (from you at 2nd to me at 9th ...) are within 3.3 percentage points. Seven guys are within 1.5 percentage points - from 80.4 to 78.9 - with something like 0.15% between each person.

You aren't that far away from B.V. But you are correct in pointing out that it is *much* more difficult to move up from one group to another than it is to move past one or two people *in* your group.

And then there are categories, but that's another story. I'm trying to figure out if I can (or want to) go to Operator next year. It kinda makes me sick to my stomach trying to think about it.
Old September 15, 2018, 19:44   #246
jcornss
Registered

Quote:
Admitting here that your rifle was one of several i had in mind with the dry/scrapy/chalk-bag thing. I felt bad that it was giving you trouble.

I made some really bad decisions that run, but three good decisions I made were:

1. threw a buncha goo on the BCG before I headed out

2. kept the rifle out of the water - even when I fell to my knees

3. stuck my head under the cooler of ice water before I left out on the run

The list of bad decisions is much, much longer than ^ that.
I had intended to wipe and lube the BCG and clean the chamber once we were settled at the hotel. I felt like arse so I ended up lying down and dozed off. Clearly, I should have sucked it up and proceeded with the needed maintenance.
Old September 15, 2018, 20:34   #247
Bryan 45
Registered

Quote:

And then there are categories, but that's another story. I'm trying to figure out if I can (or want to) go to Operator next year. It kinda makes me sick to my stomach trying to think about it.
And see, I'm sitting over here thinking if I want to use my FAL at the next one so I can be accepted into your guys' tribe.

There no other weird initiation, is there? I don't have to drink water filter with Jimmy's dirty socks or anything?
Old September 15, 2018, 21:03   #248
kotengu
Registered

There's literally no advantage to going Operator - except bragging rights and badassness. Look at the combined results, and notice several Operators beat a bunch of Lightfighters. For example, I was 2nd in the Lightfighter class, but 6th Overall. This competition is tough no matter where you play.

Quote:
And see, I'm sitting over here thinking if I want to use my FAL at the next one so I can be accepted into your guys' tribe.

There no other weird initiation, is there? I don't have to drink water filter with Jimmy's dirty socks or anything?
No, but there is a 22hr mini-van ride to Oklahoma and about 16 years of shooting together you have to complete if you REALLY want to be accepted.

But you fit our tribe pretty dang well without all that stuff, so I guess we'll let you slide. Hell - I'm still trying to get into YOUR group!
Old September 15, 2018, 21:03   #249
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan 45
That would be an automatic no-go for me, so no. Bring an FAL to a fun match like Tiger's Zombie thing. It's a great rifle, and they've proven themselves all over planet earth. Meanwhile, it takes not-worn parts and a good build, or they're a crap-shoot on accuracy at longer ranges. Well built rifles will go to 600 on man-sized stuff all day long, but I don't think a guy can honestly compete at the top of a group with something so heavy and such a big (not sharp) recoil impulse.

I'm running FAL (10K) + AK (10K) at OK Run 'n' Gun in January. I think I'm gonna stick with AR in the future for this one, and train to move up in weight class.

If someone ever does footy socks, short bush shorts, and FALs for a match, I"m going to grow my hair back to the long/curly/bushy thing I had in college and rock a '70s mustache for the SADF/Be A Man Among Men award...

Last edited by brunop; September 15, 2018 at 21:12.
Old September 15, 2018, 21:06   #250
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
There's literally no advantage to going Operator...
Fully aware. It looks to me like going up the groups = more pain. There are shooters in all three groups.