Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old September 05, 2018, 20:45   #1
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
Ejection help please

Gents,

I am having ejection problems out of my Colt series 70 govt model(new one). About 1 or 2 times a mag the casing pulls straight back and stovepipes, but it will still feed (partially) a new round. The stove pipe is longways as if it is extracted but not ejected. repeatable with 12 different Wilson combat mags and 5 different types of ammo. Factory spring, Wilson trigger.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...905_161323.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...905_161254.jpg

ejector? extractor? spring? I need some help guys..ejector looks ok, was thinking extended?

Last edited by spider991; September 05, 2018 at 22:58.
spider991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2018, 09:31   #2
spider991
Registered

Really? No one? We gotta have some 1911 smiths or tinkered on this forum somewhere
Old September 06, 2018, 09:54   #3
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
First, is the pistol super clean and wet with lube?
No factory goo or burrs anywhere and a spotless chamber?

Second, check the extractor tension.
Tons of info online for extractor tensioning.
I recommend the brass, Weigand Combat gauges and a digital trigger pull gauge, but not absolutely necessary.

I know the pistol is new, but using a 16# recoil spring is recommended.
I think Colt puts 18# or 20# in there to cover +P ammo use, but 16# has been the Colt standard for most of a century.
Wolff Gunsprings is a good bet.

Best of luck.
Wife's favorite color: glitter

Last edited by TenTea; September 06, 2018 at 09:59. Reason: speller
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2018, 09:56   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
One possibility is your Recoil Spring is hanging up. Does it have a Full Length guide Rod? A too heavy Recoil spring will do this, but you said it has original.

Factory rounds or reloads?

New gun shouldn't be having a short, loose or damaged Ejector. Is it mounted straight and not rubbing the Slide?

I would suspect the Extractor is not quite right before changing the Ejector.

None of my 1911's has needed an extended ejector since 1965, but I'm not Brian Enos.
Old September 06, 2018, 10:23   #5
spider991
Registered

It's been all factory ammo so far, federal hst, speer 230 ball, gold dot and even 2 mags of speer G2 230+p...all had a jam. I will try a new 16# spring as it feels heavy. The ejector looks straight, it is the one that is not 90degree but somewhat back swept. It has a short guide rod that the recoil spring was extremely hard to pull off the end.I looked up the extractor tests and I did the one where you use a spent casing and tension with the slide off, passed. It extracts fine, it even starts to push the new round in as you can see from the picture, it just doesn't kick the brass out.I will try a new wolff spring and fine tooth for burrs...thanks for the advise, I will get started
Old September 06, 2018, 10:37   #6
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider991 View Post
It's been all factory ammo so far, federal hst, speer 230 ball, gold dot and even 2 mags of speer G2 230+p...all had a jam. I will try a new 16# spring as it feels heavy. The ejector looks straight, it is the one that is not 90degree but somewhat back swept. It has a short guide rod that the recoil spring was extremely hard to pull off the end.I looked up the extractor tests and I did the one where you use a spent casing and tension with the slide off, passed. It extracts fine, it even starts to push the new round in as you can see from the picture, it just doesn't kick the brass out.I will try a new wolff spring and fine tooth for burrs...thanks for the advise, I will get started
Keep us posted and good luck with getting it sorted out.
You will succeed.
Old September 06, 2018, 10:38   #7
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Are you holding the pistol firmly ?

Does it have the correct length 16# spring ?

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2018, 11:25   #8
spider991
Registered

Yes I'm holding it firmly, I don't limp wrist. I'm somewhat of an experienced shooter so I'm thinking that isn't the issue.this was all 2 hand, strong hand , aimed shooting . Slow fire strings as well as rapid. The jam is repeatable unfortunately, I am going to try the suggestions here before I take it to a gunsmith, I'm wondering if a 16# spring and a full length guide rod may help
Old September 06, 2018, 12:11   #9
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

I'd do the 16# spring first, be surprised if a FLGR helped. I have 1911's both with and without Guide Rods and they work both ways. I can't think of a problem that a Guide Rod solved, except for that contraption I had with a Duel Recoil Spring setup that now occupies a corner of a 1911 Spare Stuff Box.

I meant to ask your round count with this pistol, anything north of 200 rds should have it trucking along without problems by now.

Should mention that I usually use Wolf 18# springs in my 1911s and have no problems, but I do shoot mostly reloads and they are near or max loads. Also, my 1911s are well broken in except for the new Colt ASE I haven't shot yet.
Damn, it may not work, but it sure is pretty!

Last edited by MAINER; September 06, 2018 at 12:18.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2018, 16:13   #10
hueyville
Registered

FALaholic #: 74557
Standard ejector or commander ejector? aka standard vs long? If using good ammo and spring is not overly worn then ejector is what I would look at. Like knowing brass is going to fly well out of the way so don't step on it when begin moving.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2018, 16:33   #11
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Send it back. The words New and Colt in your description were missed when I read it the 1st time.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2018, 19:40   #12
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Send it back. The words New and Colt in your description were missed when I read it the 1st time.
this above

and Colt is having Service Advisor issues . . some have recently been released. ASk name contact number, questions

if its not under warranty . . . . a LGS 1911 guru can do it.
the extractor of today doesn't have the sharp profile of old.
Scout10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2018, 20:22   #13
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
My mind must be in the gutter, first saw the thread title I was going to recommend little blue pills!

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2018, 23:12   #14
spider991
Registered

Unfortunately, bought it used, but guy sld it or the shop didn't like the complicated 1911 and traded it for a new Wizz bang sig,lol... so the guy never shot it. I got at least 300-400 rounds in it trying to get it to work. I ordered a 16lb wolf spring and an ed brown ejector per the lgs 1911 smitty,so we will see how it goes. Thanks for all the help gang!

Last edited by spider991; September 06, 2018 at 23:51.
Old September 07, 2018, 10:15   #15
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Just opinion now so don't take my words as expert. Problem solving with any malfunctioning gun should be a step by step one at a time test. If I had your 1911 and it is clean right down to taking the slide apart and making sure the extractor is free to operate then I would start by useing 230 ball ammo. Gun was designed to run on 230 ball.

If it won't run on ball the next step is to make sure I have a good magazine because bent or split lips will allow the next cartridge up to rise too early creating the jam you have.

Recoil spring must be right poundage

Slide to frame fit must be smooth to operate

Your grip must be firm

If these minor fixes don't work then it's something mechanical but something isn't letting the slide go all the way back with the force it needs to eject the empty.

Do one thing at a time or you create more problems.
Old September 07, 2018, 10:16   #16
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

We will be wanting to know how it works out ya know.

Quote; "ed brown ejector per the lgs 1911 smitty". Good stuff!
Old September 07, 2018, 18:22   #17
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
I had similar issue with my Colt Gov Model 70 that I purchased used. Ended up taking it to a gunsmith that specializes with 1911's in the Houston area. He added a tear drop ejection on slide (refinished that area), polished throat, added match barrel bushing and new spring. It solved the issues with my 1911. This is my favorite 1911 to shoot, to this day.

The above is probably overkill, but it runs like a champ. Checking for any burrs and read up on polishing throat that might effect function before considering above. There are Utube videos on throat polishing. My 2 cents, SB

I see you are in Ohio, consider contacting Glen Riddle at Magnum Gunsmithing in the Youngstown area. Aka, 187, here on the files...

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians

Last edited by Snake Bitten; September 07, 2018 at 18:46.
Snake Bitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2018, 21:32   #18
spider991
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Just opinion now so don't take my words as expert. Problem solving with any malfunctioning gun should be a step by step one at a time test. If I had your 1911 and it is clean right down to taking the slide apart and making sure the extractor is free to operate then I would start by useing 230 ball ammo. Gun was designed to run on 230 ball.

If it won't run on ball the next step is to make sure I have a good magazine because bent or split lips will allow the next cartridge up to rise too early creating the jam you have.

Recoil spring must be right poundage

Slide to frame fit must be smooth to operate

Your grip must be firm

If these minor fixes don't work then it's something mechanical but something isn't letting the slide go all the way back with the force it needs to eject the empty.

Do one thing at a time or you create more problems.
did the above almost exact, started out clean as a whistle with a nice lube of clp/break-free on all moving parts, jam occurred with 230 ball(fed and speer), occurred with several different Wilson combat and act mags(once it happened, i removed that mag from rotation) firm grip-check(two handed solid) i even went as far as watching my hands to make sure my thUmbs(big paws) were not riding up on the slide and slowing it down..which i have seen on some shooters.. slide to fame is very nice, almost new.

recoil spring-ordered a new wolff 16.5 lb from brownells
not going back far enough to eject spent casing-very possible. hopefully spring will remedy. ordered new ejector. Mine is the back swept one, not the extended or 90degree. so hopefully one of these fixes will work. parts will be here in 3-5 working days. i await with baited breath, as i really like this pistol. and of course i will keep the rogues gallery apprised of the progress. I have a local guy who is a good 191 smith but if he can't fix i will for sure check out the guy in Youngstown. trying to avoid sending it out due to ridiculous shipping price for overnight handgun.

Last edited by spider991; September 07, 2018 at 21:41.
Old September 08, 2018, 01:00   #19
Bawana jim
Registered

Not having seen it exactly the next step I would take is making sure the extractor has no burs on the hook that won't let the case go. If it's correct then I would put an empty case under the extractor and Jack the slide real slow while watching what the case does. When the slide is at the back of its travel the case should be moved out. If it doesn't move out then the ejector isn't being touched by the empty case.

If it comes out too early and falls back in then the ejector is too long.

Hope this helps.
Old September 11, 2018, 22:48   #20
spider991
Registered

Parts will finally be here tomorrow!
Old September 12, 2018, 09:59   #21
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

I can hardly wait......Oh, wait
Old September 12, 2018, 11:15   #22
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
I can hardly wait......Oh, wait
HAHA! Hey, he's keeping his word and keeping us informed as the issue gets resolved. Gotta like that.
Old September 12, 2018, 18:51   #23
spider991
Registered

Oy ya, brand new ed brown ejector, new Wolff 16.5 lb spring and new firing pin spring (came with the other spring) installed, range time!!! Same jam, I swear to God...I almost chucked it down range.. seems to happen on the second to last round usually I noticed this time. Well, off to the professional 1911 smith, gun shop guy let me down. He installed the ed brown extended ejector, and now I'm supposed to take just a couple hundreds off and try again, and again if necessary.
Old September 12, 2018, 21:03   #24
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
You don't have a shok-buff on the recoil spring guide, do you? If so, immediately remove it and place it in the nearest trash can for safekeeping.
Old September 12, 2018, 21:37   #25
spider991
Registered

No sir....was bone stock until I got these parts today, got a really good 1911 smith close but he takes a long time to get back. I guess that's a good thing that he is booked up.
Old September 13, 2018, 09:30   #26
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Are your Mags seven rounders or eights? I have heard of 1911s that don't run well with other than the original seven round capacity mags.. Never understood this as I have and use 7, 8, and 10 rd mags without problems.
Just a thought.

You stated that you have only used Wilson mags? I use Wilson 47D's, but a friend's fancy Springfield doesn't like them.
I would try a good 7 round Colt mag (Chip McCmk Power Mag will do) with a split follower and dimple if you can borrow, beg, but don't steal one. :tongue

The fact that your pistol has misfeeds on the last rounds indicate a Mag problem, not a pistol failure.
Old September 13, 2018, 10:21   #27
Bawana jim
Registered

Or a shooter failure maybe he just gets tired by the end of the magazine and limp wrist it. Do you exercise regular when you drink your beer by holding it out in front of you before every sip?
Old September 13, 2018, 12:34   #28
spider991
Registered

12 Oz curls are for pansies, I do pint curls!....this happens with Wilson 8 rounders and even the new ETM mags. Got a bunch of the 7 rounders on sale couple years ago. I got a couple colt 7 rounders and a couple act mags I will try. I keep bringing a whole batch and it happens with several different mags. Not sure if I noticed it only happening with the 8s..why the hell would that happen? And is that possible? Going to the back yard to try it.
Old September 13, 2018, 13:03   #29
spider991
Registered

Ok,same jam with the 7 round Wilson and the colt 7 rounders, I think I'm happy about that oddly enough
Old September 13, 2018, 18:26   #30
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Gather up some of -your- spent shells.

Clear the work area of live ammo.

Field strip the pistol then reassemble without the recoil spring or guide. You do need the barrel bushing to stabilize the barrel.

Manually cycle the slide on the frame. Try to notice if there is a tight spot in the travel. Sometimes a disconnector can add enough resistance to interfere with the cycle especially if it the sear spring is poorly fitted.

Now cycle it some more dropping the hammer each time. Hold the trigger back as you work the slide back. See if there is a spot where the gun feels tight.

Put an empty shell in one of the magazines. Your goal is to get the spent shell into the chamber without having to snap the extractor over the rim. It will take some manipulation to coax the shell into the chamber but it won't be so bad if you get the hang of it.

Now when you bring the slide back (slowly) look at the path of the shell when it makes contact with the ejector. Does the lip of the shell run sideways into the ejector port or does it want to swing up cleanly and out? Does it do something else?

If all of this does not discover anything, I'd get a good light and look at the surface of the chamber for roughness.
Old September 14, 2018, 08:47   #31
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
12 Oz curls are for pansies, I do pint curls!....this happens with Wilson 8 rounders and even the new ETM mags. Got a bunch of the 7 rounders on sale couple years ago. I got a couple colt 7 rounders and a couple act mags I will try. I keep bringing a whole batch and it happens with several different mags. Not sure if I noticed it only happening with the 8s..why the hell would that happen? And is that possible? Going to the back yard to try it.
Eight round mags sometimes cause trouble in 1911s because they have a coil or two cut off to allow the eighth round to fit. This means there is less Follower tension on the next round against the feed lips to hold it in place. The condition becomes more of an issue as the mag is emptied. JMB put the dimple in the follower to counter "last round feed failure" in the 1911 design.

Typically, bottom round feed problems are caused by weak mag springs, but in your case, it's looking like that is not the problem.

Geez, I'm going to have to dig out my Kuhnhausen on this.
Old September 14, 2018, 16:15   #32
spider991
Registered

I'm going to try wildcats fix, then I'm going back to my rock island armory 1911 (jk)
Old September 17, 2018, 21:18   #33
spider991
Registered

i looked up the extractor tests ten tea, mainer and some of you guys were talking about. Pulled the slide and barrel, slid the round down on to the breech face and it fell out, the extractor didn't have enough tension to hold an empty brass let alone a full cartridge, it fell right out...well here we go..i watched a video on tension and adjusted the extractor so it held the round firmly without shaking out..now to the range tomorrow to tr her out. yes i should have followed your advice earlier, i know. Hopefully this is the trick. I'm telling myself that if it works, the new ejector and spring helped too....

Last edited by spider991; September 19, 2018 at 15:08.
Old September 18, 2018, 06:15   #34
hueyville
Registered

I replace the factory ejector and extractor on all Colt style 1911's brand new out of the box. Allows me to put OEM back later with no wear and have better parts in the meantime. I like the modified extractor that SIG uses for 1911's and why my last six 1911 purchases were SIG. I use eight and ten round magazines exclusively and never have issues could blame the mag on. I do replace the springs on my eight round range mags every year. See how compressed they are getting used four to five days a week and would do the same. Wilson recommends replacing springs annually for regular use magazines.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old September 19, 2018, 15:08   #35
spider991
Registered

SUCCESS!!!! ok, 12 mags through it, perfect! 4 mags of hardball, 8 mags of mix of HST and Gold DOt HP, wow, I am thrilled! Thanks a ton guys, this is the reason I love this board.... gonna run a few more mags of carry ammo before I actually suit her up for carry but we are definitely on the way. Glad I didn't use her as a boat anchor.
Old September 20, 2018, 08:32   #36
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Glad to hear it. It pained me to think that a Colt 1911 was not up to snuff.

Sad that the QC is so lacking at the factories these days.

Gold Dots are somewhat troublesome in many pistols so if you are feeding them OK you should be good for any ammo out there.

If the 1911 pistol is new to you, I would suggest looking up recommended maintenance procedures, especially regarding lubrication. The 1911 likes it's oil and requires a bit more attention if being used as a carry piece.

Good luck with your 1911 Colt.
Old September 20, 2018, 09:37   #37
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
SUCCESS!!!! ok, 12 mags through it, perfect! 4 mags of hardball, 8 mags of mix of HST and Gold DOt HP, wow, I am thrilled! Thanks a ton guys, this is the reason I love this board.... gonna run a few more mags of carry ammo before I actually suit her up for carry but we are definitely on the way. Glad I didn't use her as a boat anchor.
Old September 20, 2018, 16:00   #38
spider991
Registered

That kinda looked like me yesterday in the back yard!
Old September 21, 2018, 23:22   #39
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Glad you got it up and running!

I had a similar problem with my Colt 1911. I replaced it with a Wilson combat Bulletproof extractor and never had another extraction problem.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018, 00:42   #40
spider991
Registered

i just adjusted the tension, if it has anymore problems, that will be the first thing i order
Old September 22, 2018, 07:36   #41
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

It seems that Colts are known for this issue lately. So much for "good to go" out of the box. Maybe my new Colt will be a CZ.

Wilson Combat Bulletproof Extractors are likely the easiest to install. C&S, Ed Brown and EGW require more hand fitting.

The Doughboys thoughts on the 1911; author and date unknown to me, guessing somewhere around 1920 give or take ten years or so.

THE COLT

"COLT" is the name that surely fits
This weapon s every action,

For like a colt she runs to skits
Which drive you to distraction.

She seems a gentle, simple gun,
But when you come to aim her
She jumps and kicks and bucks like fun
And, gosh ! it s hard to tame her.

The blue-steel Colt, The new steel Colt,
She runs to stunts erratic,
For she s a durn Tough arm to learn, This Army Automatic.

You think you ll blow the mark to pot ,
At ten or fifteen paces
And find that not a single shot
Has left the slightest traces.

All seven bullets went astray
Amid the zephyrs breezy,

Thus showing in a vivid way
The Colt is not so easy.

The nifty Colt,

The shifty Colt,
She speaks in tones emphatic,

But often works

By whims and quirks,
This Army Automatic!

Yet when you get to know this arm

And how to coax and pet her,
She ll do her duty like a charm,

No gun will serve you better;
She ll stick right closely by your side,

And as the fight grows hotter
And you are caught in battle s tide

You ll thank your stars you ve got her.

The lusty Colt,

The trusty Colt,
The weapon democratic,

Whose vicious might

Makes men one height,
The Army Automatic!
Old September 22, 2018, 14:07   #42
spider991
Registered

That was cool, never read that before...a lot rings true. And I don't blame you on the CZs, Iove them. Most accurate 9mm I ever shot was a cz sp-01. Scary accurate. My next is somewhat of a cz based gun, E AA WITNESS Stock III in 10mm, slush fund allowing of course.
Old September 23, 2018, 09:27   #43
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

I have been trying to talk myself into a 10 MM ever since I read Jeff Cooper's article on the Bren 10. Had the money in my hand and was on the list just waiting for them to fork one over. Unfortunately, Don Johnson had the only one that worked and the danged thing fizzled out.

Your EAA Witness looks like the best 10 to come down the pike since then. I tried Colt's Delta Elite, but as much as I like a 1911, it didn't work for me in 10 MM.

A friend that was into "Practical police Shooting" (IPSC)? used a Colt Delta, but said he had to drop the load to get faster follow up shots. Of course, by the time he got the load right, S&W solved his problem with the .40 S&W. Kind of took all the fun out of having a 10.

Too many years have passed since the Bren and I have gotten to the point of looking to trim down with fewer calibers and fewer pistols.

Love my CZ 75 Compacts, hard to believe they contain all the firepower of a Browning HP in such a small package.
Old September 23, 2018, 13:32   #44
spider991
Registered

I've bend shooting 10mms for about ten years now, I love the cartridge. .I reload so I can make it do about anything. Got a buddy with a Springfield 10mms 1911 and it runs perfect. Very satisfying to hit steels with a 200gr bullet at about 1250fps some run a little hotter but I found that is a sweet spot for my stuff. I got a glock M40 that eats everything and with the heavy slide makes the follow up shots pretty quick. Great round and there areally a ton more guns popping up now. It's coming back strong.

Factory ammo is catching up to with nice loads from speer gold dot, sig v crown, buffalo bire, corbon, and of course my favorite Underwood Ammo.

Last edited by spider991; September 23, 2018 at 13:39.
Old September 23, 2018, 16:43   #45
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

I have noticed an up tick in the 10MM lately, passed six months or so.
I'm guessing that the EAA and Glock have had something to do with that. Glad to see it as the 10 is a kick-ass cartridge in a Semi-auto. Wish the Bren had made it a success, but alas, it was not to be at the time.

As an old blue steel and walnut stuck in the mud Nut, I refuse to buy a Poly Pistol (glock or any other such). I have begrudgingly tolerated aluminum and even "composite" material handguards on AR's and even the lovely old FAL, but I refuse to give up holster space to a plastic pistol in lieu of a 1911 or BHP.

Besides, what would I do with my .357, 41 Mag and 44 Maggie wheel guns?

I have too many guns and not enough time to shoot the things.

Had not heard of Underwood Ammo, will have to look 'em up.
Old September 23, 2018, 19:12   #46
spider991
Registered

Underwood make fantastic ammo, I'm like you i love a good steel pistol and wood grips or stocks on most everything...Glock is a glock=boring.but it does its job. Check out 10mm-firearms.com that is a place for 10mm yahoos like me, big following. decent group too.
Old September 24, 2018, 08:59   #47
hueyville
Registered

I was one of the few that had a Bren Ten when Miami Vice was still in production. Still had it when went syndication. Now have multiple 10mm's in Colt, SIG and other names. Like majority of my 45 acp buys over past decade 90% original owner buys with a 50 round box of 230 grain ball and a 20 round box of carry ammo. Same with the 10mm's owner buys a box of range ammo and 20 rounds of carry ammo and whether 45 or 10mm 60% of them come back to same store were purchased with about half the ammo from first box fired and trade it for a Glock or Smith in 9mm. Owner flips me the trade ins at really fair price to keep them out of the counter which he keeps full of new SIG's.

Often I walk in and will tell me to wait a minute are busy with clients and box comes from back and can't tell the gun for new. Pay $200 to $250 under his new in the counter price and haul them away and he keeps selling 45's and 10mm's like free water in the desert. Every single one owner complained of too much recoil. I purchased my first Colt 1911 at age 15 and didn't notice any recoil issues then and have not yet. Even when had a broken strong hand or arm in cast just fished a left hand Randall out of the vault and carried a lefty 1911.

One of the guys on our church security team is a real shooter and Glock freak. Has had two Glock's in past couple years that with sight drifted as far as possible without falling out of slide was 8" left of center. Both had holes in front of slide off center and sights could not correct machine errors. He has a 10mm Glock which is his primary carry and can go 10 for 10 into a silver dollar size circle at 50 yards and 10 for 10 on a 12 ounce can at 100 yards. He is a big boy and 10mm to him is like a 9mm to average man.

I have no recoil issues with 10mm or 45 acp but have been building up my collection of 38 Supers and even a few 9mm 1911's along with 357 SIG and 40 Smith 1911's. Figure at some point age is going to creep up and in my 80's like switching to AR's in 6.8 spc II for my primary battle rifle will be carrying a down loaded 38 super or full power 9mm 1911 for an old man pistol.

As to a few more magazines and call it a carry, I still go by the rule of thumb when Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, Massad Ayoob and Ross Syfried wrote most of the magazine articles. They seemed to always say when had 500 rounds of ammo without a failure to feed, fire or extract you and handgun were familiar enough with each other to know both could do their part if had to go defensive or offensive.

Been buying the under 100 round SIG trade ins so cheap take them to work, run 1,000 rounds through them to decide what features want added and send back to SIG Custom Shop. They have a flat rate deal where go through any pistol and make sure it's 100%, replace any and all wear items then put factory warranty on it and return. While they have it usually add little things like mag well if missing, tritium front sight post, 11 target crown and top them off with a 3.25 pound trigger then send it back. Usually have about original new off the shelf price in the pistol when comes out of custom shop by waiting on trade ins.

When they come back, put 500 rounds minimum through them and either go in an overt armor kit, bug out bag, pile of carry guns to pick from or cleaned and top shelf of a vault. Do not have any carry guns that are not shot at least monthly or at least 100 rounds put through it when pull from vault if been in storage for a while. Even if it's another 5" 1911 with same features as the three that have been in recent rotation. When a pistol lands in my hand want to know it better than my wife. (Who can ever really know any female even after 26 years) Most Saturdays select my "Sunday go to church" carries then put 75 rounds through my primary, 25 through my backup, dissasemble and clean, reassemble, run one magazine of carry ammo through each, wipe it down and holster for the next day.

My work carries are SIG 2022's and have three in 40 Smith and three in 9mm now. Carry the 40's when working and they get shot weekly. Once a month clean the one in holster, swap for another and repeat. That keeps me from wearing a pistol out by having multiple exact copies and rotating so average my round count over a group. Learned that back in the IPSC days when seemed to be waiting for a race gun to come back from a refresh. Started buying in matching pairs then could rotate and when one was sent in had its twin till returned and then the brother went back and had another year to wear in them.

Good on OP getting his issues cleared up. Would shoot it regular and remember to replace wear parts every 5,000 tom10,000 rounds. I respring at 5,000 then inspect and replace wear parts as needed at 10,000 including snugging slide to frame on occasion along with fire control parts. 1911's were designed to run, run hard and run some more. Have one Colt slide and frame that has an unnumbered count of refresh and rebuilds that probably has over a half million rounds of major power factor SWC down the spout which was recently rebuilt into a custom carry with compensator for working big rooms. Old 1911's never die if serviced well. Just get better and better.
Old September 25, 2018, 19:22   #48
spider991
Registered

Excellent advice, thanks. I've run a couple hundred more since last time and she seems to run perfect, a few more hundred percent and she goes in the edc holster. This gun feels better in the hand than most any other, but I've always loved my 1911s. The vz grips really make it! I've got a shop here that holds stuff for me, I actually got this one on trade from a guy who didn't like the 1911 and traded it in for a new wiz bang sig because of something he read on line,lol...his loss,my gain
Old September 26, 2018, 08:25   #49
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I have no recoil issues with 10mm or 45 acp
I never have either, but then again I've only shot them from full-sized weapons, AS GOD INTENDED!!!

My first encounter with the 1911 was in the Navy. Was always intrigued by them, but being young and only owning and shooting 9mm and 38sp to that point figured a "big ol' 45" had to have some jump in it. The 1911s we had on the ship were reworked Vietnam vets, and I was astonished at how gentle the .45acp was from them. I was a corpsman outshooting the gunner's mates. They were less than happy with me.

Bought a Witness 10mm as I had been intrigued by it as well (already owned multiple Witnesses and Baby DEs, so only thing new was the caliber), and a guy ran it on a local ad board for $300. I meet him to look at it and actually had to ask if it had ever been fired. Was the same classic story, gun came with factory case and all its goodies, and a box of 47 rounds. Guy was uncomfortable with the recoil and decided to go back to 9mm. When I first took it out I was expecting something approaching .44 mag. Again, couldn't have been more wrong. I find it very comfortable, and while you know you've dropped the hammer on something significant, it's not like I'm in fear of wrist injuries from it. Hell, I've 1-handed it to practice injury drills, I think it's all about technique and grip.

I think too many aren't taught how to properly grip a pistol, and create more recoil than is actually happening. I go to the range and see folks with a grip where they aren't even contacting the bottom of the trigger guard with their middle fingers, thumb webbing isn't up into the beavertail, etc etc, then complain about "how hard it kicks." That right there is where good deals on slightly used guns are made. Now if she's cute she might get a free lesson, depending on how nice the gun is, and if I have one already...
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 11:14   #50
spider991
Registered

Eaa witness steel compact is next if I can find one, 10mm of course..I want the stock 3 but it's kinda pricey. I absolutely love my glock 40