The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old June 24, 2019, 08:38   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Marlin Camp Carbine musings

Long-ago-a-time I purchased a brand spank new Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm, probably the first new gun I ever bought. I remember the event well, filling out the 4473 at the Service Merchandise store. Fast forward several decades to the present, and every time I pick the rifle up little granules fall out of the action. The buffer was crumbling just from time. I haven’t shot the rifle all that much, and none in the last 20+ years so it is not crumbling from wear. Anyway, for every project there is a time and place and for the Camp buffer replacement it was this past weekend.

I had previously purchased a few new buffers from Midway, and had reviewed various YouTube videos on the deed, so we were ready. Placing a mat and small parts tray on the dining room table (a not unusual gunsmithing location for me) we commenced. The original buffer was a pile of crumbs, except the part still stuck in the hole in the back of the action. Since we had the thing apart we took the opportunity to thoroughly clean the action and trigger group. It was pretty nasty not only from the disintegrating buffer but from shooting reloads back in the day. Reassembly was uneventful and I look forward to several more decades with the carbine, and maybe some actual shooting.

Now that I know what I am doing as far as buffer replacement on these guns I will do a buddy’s Camp 9. It used to be my “spare”, but he is a good friend and wanted it so off it went to a new home (after just compensation was received of course). The story on how I came by it originally is a little interesting. I already had the other one and found this one the morning of my wedding many years ago. The wedding, and the tux rental place, was out of town over at the in-laws stomping grounds. Picking up my tux the night before I discovered the pants legs were a good six inches too short. A pretty dadgum sorry and, looking back, somewhat comical situation indeed.

Not seeing the humor at the time, my MIL-to-be managed to find a tailor the next morning to adjust the cuffs so I would not look like a clown (any more than usual) at the wedding. Dropping the pants off at the tailor I had a couple of hours to kill so did a little pawn shopping. Nothing to kill time and calm the nerves like pawn shopping I say. Anyway, this little pawn shop a block or two from the tailor just happened to have among their wares a lightly used Camp 9 and a nice Remington Nylon 66. Both spoke to me and the price for the combo was right so bought them I did, stashing them in the truck of the car. Subsequently retrieving my now suitable britches, it was off to the nuptials and honeymoon for TW. As pitiful as the day started, it soon got better with a little gun buying, and ended really (really) nicely at the honeymoon.

Returning home a few days later with my new bride we were unloading the car when she saw the guns in the trunk. “You brought GUNS to our wedding?” was her comment. “Yes, yes I did” was my reply. I sure as hell was not admitting to BUYING guns at the wedding. All that is left of the wedding and honeymoon are memories (divorce), the Camp 9 was sold, but I still have the Nylon 66. Someday maybe I will relate the tale of three Marlin Camp .45 Carbines that came my way.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019, 00:25   #2
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Great story! Always lusted after a Camp 9 and almost had one a few years ago after a very good friend passed away. Unfortunately, his worthless nephew to whom he had bequeathed all his worldly goods, was a complete and utter tool bag who totally ignored my friend's wishes, leading to all kinds of tomfuckery which removed the Camp from my possibility of purchase.

I think the Ruger PC9 might just scratch that itch when I get around to it but I can build an AR 9mm for about the same price. Hard to chose the one over the other...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019, 07:52   #3
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
I have a Camp 9, it was my father's last gun purchase. I finally took it to the range to learn the buffer had disintegrated, and the trigger mechanism broke - a common issue. It's still in pieces, I need to get the replacement parts and reassemble it.... been a couple of years!

Eli
AliYahu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2019, 12:07   #4
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
The new PC9 rifles are a good deal for people wanting a camp rifle but not the price

I really like the old camp rifles ..But having seen them taking apart ..Not fun at all

Cool guns ..I wish they bring them back like Ruger did

I know that at one point one could order a kit that would swap the 1911 mag well on the 45s for para ord double stacks mags ..Not sure if that ever works but be cool if they did that
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2019, 18:22   #5
MajHenryWest
Registered

FALaholic #: 11906
Question 9mm Carbine

Does anybody remember the Iver Johnson 9mm carbine?
The first one looked like a Universal M-1 carbine, the second model was
supposedly different but I have never even seen a photo of one.
Both used Browning Hi-Power magazines.
Old June 26, 2019, 18:27   #6
MajHenryWest
Registered

FALaholic #: 11906
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post
I know that at one point one could order a kit that would swap the 1911 mag well on the 45s for para ord double stacks mags ..Not sure if that ever works but be cool if they did that
If I remember correctly and this is about 30 years ago, a gentleman by the name of Ken Christie in Ohio did conversions of Camp carbines to several different types of pistol magazines.
Old June 27, 2019, 10:45   #7
pre1989
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajHenryWest View Post
If I remember correctly and this is about 30 years ago, a gentleman by the name of Ken Christie in Ohio did conversions of Camp carbines to several different types of pistol magazines.
Yep that is it ..Glock mags I think and para mags
Old June 27, 2019, 10:46   #8
pre1989
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajHenryWest View Post
Does anybody remember the Iver Johnson 9mm carbine?
The first one looked like a Universal M-1 carbine, the second model was
supposedly different but I have never even seen a photo of one.
Both used Browning Hi-Power magazines.

Around that time there was also a bullpup Italy rifle on the market that used hi power mags .. I wish I have picked that one up

Chippia is making a 9mm m1 carbine clone again that takes 92 mags ..But the reviews are eh...

And yeah Universal did some cool carbins did they not do the 5.7 spitfire or the like
Old June 28, 2019, 00:16   #9
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
I agree that the Marlin Camp Carbines are neat little guns. I've managed to pick up both the 9mm and the .45ACP ones over the years. While I haven't shot either of them a lot, I have put more rounds through the 9mm one than the other. Since the ones that I picked up were nearly new, the buffers were still intact, looking almost new. However, they do get hard with age even without use, so it's good to get replacements (which, since Brownells has them available (unless they're out of stock, of course, but I'm sure that goes without saying since it's a sore point with me at the moment )for a pretty cheap price, even I am not so stupid not to have picked some up... And while the original mags for the 9mm carbine were a S&W M69 12rd mag (which is flush fitting in the extended magwell, it also takes the S&W M59 mags (which are plentiful and cheap).

I also have one of the Ruger PC9 carbines. For many years, I bought no Ruger stuff since Billie Boy's policies pissed me off. Then, he croaked. Then, the rest of his family were booted too. Now I'm willing to buy some of their stuff again (which has also included an SR22 and a couple of the takedown 10/22s).

I have to say that I am really impressed with the PC9. It has an absolutely beautiful bore (and I'm a bore whore, which is the first thing I look at in a gun). I would prefer a non-fluted barrel, but I can live with it. I would not have purchased it without the take-down feature (because it makes the barrel incredibly easy to clean), and the take-down is very simple and works very well (just like the take-down 10/22). Additionally, the general workmanship on this carbine is top notch (which is something I often have trouble saying about American made products today).

I have had zero bobbles with it in firing a few hundred rounds, including some of the Perfecta 115gr FMJ (which is somewhat weak), Fiocchi 115gr (9AP, made in Italy) and Win. 124gr FMJ NATO (more of this than anything else since the weaker stuff was shot mostly to see if the carbine would work with it).

My shooting has been exclusively at 50 yards, and I'm quite happy with the accuracy using the sights that come on the gun (which I can't see perfectly because I'm old, but it is what it is). I somewhat dislike the wings on the front sight (although good for protection) because they affect my sight picture through the ghost-ring rear sight, but it's still a very usable arrangement. I thought about putting a mini-red dot (like the Vortex Razor Red Dot) on it, but decided to leave it stock for the time being because I can shoot it pretty well that way. Perhaps some day...

I decided to pick up a bunch of the Ruger SR9/American mags to use in it because I wanted to pay a lot of money for new mags. Oh, wait, maybe my Alzheimer's is affecting my memory, because I didn't...

My point, of course, is that including a mag adapter (which works extremely well and is a snap to insert) for Glock mags was a stroke of genius (since I have a shitload of Glock 17 and Glock 18 mags (since I carry a Glock 17)). I take my hat off to that person at Ruger who made the decision to design the carbines that way, especially since I wouldn't have bothered picking it up if it required only the Ruger SR9 mags...

To say that I am happy with this Ruger PC9 carbine would be quite an understatement.

Forrest
ftierson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019, 07:25   #10
dmk
Registered

FALaholic #: 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Long-ago-a-time I purchased a brand spank new Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm, probably the first new gun I ever bought.
A brand new Marlin 9mm Camp Carbine was my first centerfire long gun too.

I had a love / hate relationship with that thing. It was nice and handy, felt good in the hands and to shoot. It was accurate and operated with almost boring reliability. It was a fun gun.

I disliked all the plastic parts (especially that buffer). I disliked the magazine disconnect. I disliked cleaning it. I have a strong dislike for guns that can't be cleaned from the chamber end with a cleaning rod. Though old Milsurp Classics like the Garand, M14 and M1 Carbine get a pass because they earned respect in battle, I can't excuse that in any commercial gun made after 1950.

I ended up selling it and used the funds to finance my first AR15 carbine. Later when CMP had them, I bought what I really wanted when I purchased that Camp 9, an M1 Carbine. I'm much happier with it.

Last edited by dmk; June 28, 2019 at 07:31.
dmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019, 13:53   #11
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
I mag adapter (which works extremely well and is a snap to insert) for Glock mags was a stroke of genius (since I have a shitload of Glock 17 and Glock 18 mags (since I carry a Glock 17)).
How short a Glock mag will fit in the Ruger? In other words, will a G19 mag lock in or is it too short?

And this as good a place/time as any to note my issue with the Camp Carbine magazine disconnect. On one of my Camp .45s (the one that is not still NIB) I managed to cut a gouge in the disconnect inserting a sharp edged magazine. Every magazine would then hang up on that nick/gouge/shelf preventing insertion. I had to strip the gun down and reprofile the disconnect (dremal) and it works fine now. The dang disconnect is poorly designed and executed IMHO. It pivots at the top but hangs down, if that makes any sense. So you do not have any mechanical advantage sliding past it. Pitiful, just pitiful.

While we are taking Camps, my recent googling has indicated weaker than optimal recoil springs in these. No surprise there I guess. Stronger springs not only help prevent battering of the buffer and splitting of the stock, but supposedly provide softer recoil and promotes a cleaner firearm as less crap is blown back in the action. We shall see, Midway just scored a few of my hard-earned in exchange for a 16.5 pounder for the 9mm and a 21 pounder for the .45.

Just need to get one (or both) Camps to a Steel Challenge match. I'll show those young whipper-snappers with their AR-based PCCs a thing or twelve with a carbine I bought when their daddy was in grade school..

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019, 17:02   #12
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
How short a Glock mag will fit in the Ruger? In other words, will a G19 mag lock in or is it too short?
I only have Glock 17s and Glock 21s, so keep that in mind...

The Glock 17 mag extends about 2 1/4 inches from the bottom of the magwell adapter, so I'm sure that Glock 19 mags will work just fine (but I haven't tried it).

Some of the shorter 9x19mmP mags would probably work too.

Just sayin'...

Forrest
ftierson is online now   Reply With Quote