The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old August 30, 2006, 19:06   #1
socom308
Registered

FALaholic #: 19635
FAL " stovepipe" Jams

I have a problem with "stovepipe" type jams and some times the shell gets caught between the bolt carrier and the front of the receiver parallel with the rounds in the mag while a fresh round has been fed partially in the chamber allways. I've read somewhere on the net of a guy that used to have an L1A1 in the military (Canada I think) and he complained of empty shells bouncing back into the breach aria on his. Does anyone have a solution for this one? Mine is a Metric receiver with inch parts. When it doesn't jam, the ejection is strong and sends shells foreward at a slight angle to the right and down. (20' or more). Also the cases have a bit of a dent in them after being ejected.
Old August 30, 2006, 19:50   #2
Blood of Tyrants
Registered

FALaholic #: 1244
This probably belongs in gunsmithing but I will give it a go. Are the ejections good and hard or do they barely go 5 feet? If they are puny, just close off the gas port a notch or two.

One day, in the not too distant future, good men and women like those that serve in Iraq, will decide that the United States isn't worth fighting for and the blame will be squarely on the shoulders of the DemocRat Party.
Blood of Tyrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2006, 19:56   #3
Headshot
Banned
Multiple Accounts Violation

FALaholic #: 18649
Before doing anything hasty, check to make sure your gas tube is secure.

Make sure that the gas tube threads fairly securely into gas block. Make sure that your gas tube is pinned, preventing the gas tube from loosening and releasing excess gas.
Headshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2006, 20:05   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
I'm assuming that you have tried several different mags and that the extractor and spring are good. Check the magazine catch also. Am I correct that you have an empty case in the action while trying to chamber new round from mag? Is dent on case mouth or body? You might find gilliiees ejector tuning tips helpful. Do a search in Gunsmithing for "ejector". If I can find the post I'll
drag it over for ya.

http://www.derbyfals.com/EJECTOR%20ANGLES.htm

Last edited by MAINER; August 30, 2006 at 20:15.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2006, 05:18   #5
socom308
Registered

Quote:
Before doing anything hasty, check to make sure your gas tube is secure.
Thanks guys. Headshot, yes my gas tube is loose. How do I tighten it? This is an inch style barrel and gas block (full legnth tube).

As far as the ejection goes, it is normally strong and sends shells well foreward of the gun. (regulator set to 4 ) the shell cases get dented on the side, about in the middle and even when it does stovepipe, there is allready a fresh round fed properly into the chamber.
Old August 31, 2006, 07:39   #6
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
The gas tube is SUPPOSED TO BE loose.

You should be able to rotate it with no resistance about 10 degrees one way or the other.

The usual method for gas tube installation is to screw it into the gas block until it bottoms out. Then back it out until one of the flats on the forward end of the gas tube lines up with the axis for the retaining pin.

Once installed, the tube should still be "loose" as described above.

If you screw the tube all the way in until it bottoms out, and you just leave it there, you run into two possible problems.
First, you probably won't be able to install the retaining pin without pinching the tube, and thereby causing an obstruction to the gas piston.
Second, when the gun gets blazing hot, the tube may expand against the gas block, and having no where to expand, the mouth of the tube will warp inward, again causing an obstruction to the gas piston.

The problem you have described may be solvable by simply adjusting the gas setting.

Could possibly be other things - like stiff recoil spring or fresh finish grabbing the carrier and causing it to inconsistently move to the rear during cycling. Possibly too some issue with the extractor. Inspect the extractor for gummy mechanism, or wear on the claw.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2006, 12:28   #7
ggiilliiee
banned again

FALaholic #: 17179
look at the angle on the ejector face is it vertical in relation to the rest of the rifle ....
your probably ejecting up into the dust cover .....
try this take the dust cover off ...with a DUMMY round no bullet ) cycle it forcefully and see what its doing ...if it doesnt look like its coming out laterally(where the ejection port would be if the dust cover was in place ) ya need to alter the face of the ejector .....if you inspect it closely ...ya may find the vertical face is tilted back towards the buttstock .....that will flip it up into the dust cover .....and make it flop aroun in there ..and drop back into the tray instead of going out the port ......easy fix if that is the problem .....email if ya need help ...
ggiilliiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2006, 18:51   #8
socom308
Registered

Again, thanks for all the input guys. ggiilliiee, I checked the ejector and it's operation w/the cover off. The face of the ejector was angled back (toward the stock) and sending shells somewhat upward. I "lightly" stoned the face to change the angle down and to the side as on your page. I put 20+ rounds through it without a jam and was able to cut the gas back to 7 with good ejection and no more case denting. This seems to have worked but I want to put more rounds through it to be sure. Thanks again.
Old September 24, 2018, 19:24   #9
vtchopperdude
Registered

FALaholic #: 81500
wow, sorry to resurrect a 12 yr old thread, but I'm having the same issue. I actually started another thread but just stumbled on this one. I have a DSA OSW, and sounds like same issue. My empty cases extract fine, and the ejector pushes them off the bolt face fine, but then I have issues. You describe your issue the same way, as in the empty case seems to be rattling around in the ejection port, and the bolt face catches the ass end, and causes either a stovepipe, or the empty case lays parallel to the next round coming in, which already is chambered.

My ejector face looks like it's angled correctly...slight towards the ejection port, and slightly up. Did you have any issues after test firing those 20 rounds?
vtchopperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2018, 19:59   #10
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
OP hasn't been around since March so it's not likely he's going to answer. Maybe send him a PM or email.
Old September 24, 2018, 20:21   #11
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Needs. More. Gas./
Old September 24, 2018, 20:56   #12
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
a couple here in the original thread won't be commenting unless you have a Ouija board

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2018, 21:06   #13
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
And Ghillie was a pathological liar.

One is wise to disregard that (now thankfully dead) loser's bullshit.

There is no angle on a FAL ejector. It is 90 degrees to the axis of the bolt. Nor an L1A1. So if you have an angle on yours, that's something else to add to the list of things that need to be returned to "before your 'reputable gunsmith' screwed with it" configuration.
Old September 25, 2018, 14:00   #14
FNfreak
Registered

FALaholic #: 1081
Quote:
a couple here in the original thread won't be commenting unless you have a Ouija board
Holy Shit I just wet my pants.....damn you man.
FNfreak is online now   Reply With Quote