Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > RKBA & Legal

Notices

Old February 18, 2018, 15:12   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Truck Rifles in SC

I know Georgia and South Carolina have reciprocity now but what laws pertain to truck rifles and/or suppressed SBR's? Have gone through safety stops in GA where loaded rifle was questioned about its possible intended use for hunting but if carrying a suppressed SBR it's not questioned but considered a defensive weapon, not a hunting rifle. Have to attend a family funeral and we will go through a few high profile areas between travel to, visitation, services, family gatherings and return home.

Can't remember leaving home without a long gun in truck unless on way to ATL airport to fly out of the country or riding motorcycle and then my big bagger will still carry an M11 or M10 and lots of spare magazines with ease. Just don't want to be suprised if interact with an LEO and when call my legal folk they tell me I was in the wrong, sorry your screwed.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018, 20:17   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
The criminal laws for unlawful carry and transportation are specifically written for handguns and not rifles. However, under the DNR (Dept of Natural Resources)rules, rifles must be unloaded and carried in a case when on DNR controlled land. This includes almost all public lands around lake, State, and National forests.

To be safe, keep your rifle in a case or gun bag and in the back seat or storage compartment.

Loaded pistols may be carried in the passenger compartment as long as they are in a closed compartment - glove box or center console with lid/door shut. They cannot be carried in the door pockets, under the seat or between the seat and console. If you are a GA CWP holder, you may carry a pistol on your person while driving. If stopped, you must present your DL and CWP to the officer and notify him immediately that you are carrying.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018, 20:21   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
You need to file to go over state lines with class 3 items. YMMV

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018, 22:48   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

So with my CWL/GWL carry handguns on person as normal in SC, leave the cans at home and case the Flaming Pig in back seat of truck with bolt locked back and magazines in console so technically rifle is unloaded and separated from ammo. Take passenger 10 to 15 seconds to open case, grab rifle, insert mag and slap bolt release on the pig. Let the Noveske Flaming Pig do its job of directing majority of muzzle blast and noise forward like the bell of a horn or instrument like trumpet or trombone. The Pig is a favorite and won't even accept a can.

Edit:
Was fairly sure of handgun carry laws but rifles and especially SBR's not as fluent and didn't want to call U.S. Lawshield on a weekend to ask for legal opinion.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old February 19, 2018, 18:12   #5
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Nobody in SC with give you grief if you carry your mags in your bag with the rifle. But otherwise, you are GTG while traveling in this State. Hell, if pulled over, the LEO may ask to handle your rig to see if he likes any of the trinkets on it. Wouldn't be the first time I have seen LEO's on with blue lights on standing beside a car taking aim at the trees with a civilian pointing at things on the rifle. Had a trooper do that with my para FAL.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018, 09:02   #6
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Depends who pulls you over and where. I got pulled over for not wearing my seatbelt by a young state trooper on a back stretch of Hwy 1 on my way to Leesville. Told him about the loaded, holstered Glock 17 in the glove box and the Ithaca double barrel behind the seat and told him I was going turkey hunting (which I was) He walked around the passenger side and took out the Glock and laid it on the bench seat next to me, and took the registration out of the black book and back to the squad car with him. Left both guns in the car with me. This cop was a young white guy who probably had similar plans for the weekend. Another trooper stopped me doing 52 in a 45 zone in West Columbia on my way back from the gun show with an empty Smith and Wesson .357 magnum with a zip tie through one of the chambers. He took it and laid it on my trunk for his dash cam to record. Made me pop the trunk and put it in there before I left. My guess is he just wanted to look in the trunk. Middle aged black guy who probably didn't have as much in common with me culturally with guns, but certainly was professional.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; February 20, 2018 at 09:07.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018, 15:14   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

More Info on Subject plus some rant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
You need to file to go over state lines with class 3 items. YMMV
Discovered this was only partially true:

Quote:
As long as its legal to own or possess a Suppressor in the state you are traveling to, then you will NOT have to get permission from the ATF to transport your Suppressors to that state. The following NFA items are the ones you will have to get permission first:

SBR’s (Short Barrel Rifles)
SBS’s (Short Barrel Shotguns)
MachineGuns
Destructive Devices
AOW’s
All of my SBR's are single stamp rifles with sealed cans pinned or welded to barrel to bring OAL barrel length past 16" minimum. An 11.5" or 12.5" barrel with pinned can is very handy, saves the extra $200 for second stamp and can be moved to any lower you choose, not just the registered SBR lower. My second favorite type truck rifle is a 14.5/14.7" barrel with pinned quick change suppressor adapter then carry can with magazines.

On last few trips to SC have carried Flaming Pig because had never really reseaarched the state line issue. For funeral got the information quoted above confirmed by my Trust lawyer right before left the house that Monday morning soon as he opened his office. Since used to having a can since so many forms came back from the pre Trust law change buying spree grabbed a 14.7" 6.8 spc II along with AAC 762SDN-6, dropped in briefcase with my 9mm SIG 2022 that always has an Osprey 9 mounted.

Swapped all the mags loaded with Federal 147 grain HST for mags loaded with Hornady Low Recoil Critical Defense which wife can wield easily if needs to lay down fire as well. Have +2 base plates on all the mags so gives her 19 rounds per mag and briefcase racks five mags in quick access velcro pouch. Pulled the SIG 1911 Custom Shop Target model out of holster and replaced with SIG TACOPS and dropped the Osprey 45 suppressor in briefcase as well.

Some will say pair of rifles with one ready for can and pair of pistol cans is overkill for trip to funeral but were over 500 people at funeral and counting visitation over 1,000 people signed the visitation logs. Church had four security staff on duty as family requested casual dress and security were in suits so coats would keep average person from noticing body armor, concealed carry and radios. We got there half hour early for before funeral visitation followed by three pastor funeral.

Picked first security guy out at door with greeters and quietly asked what church CWL policy was. He noticed I was wearing armor and asked if armed. Said not yet was scoping facility for "weapons free campus" signs or security staff to ask permission before unloaded wife's wheelchair and brought her in. If weapons allowed planned to put holster and spare mags back on belt and grab sport coat. He said they had both full time uniformed security officers on duty at church school so were short handed as had no idea would be so many people at funeral trying to cover two events in teen sanctuary holding 500 people and main sanctuary that seated 1,200. Said it was o.k. and he would radio other security staff had a extra hand in the building. Asked him what frequency they were using said didn't know, were Motorola radios was all he knew.

At truck put super small freebanded Icom IC-T90a on scan, caught their frequency as getting wife in wheelchair and rearranged our weapons. Felt a lot more secure with pistol on belt and wife having suppressed SIG 2022 on her wheelchair. Dropped my Osprey 45 suppressor in the bag on back of her chair where we carry small necessary items and the SIG in pouch that sits just inside of chair under right armrest. Not leaving suppressors in truck made me feel more secure. As walked back in pushing wife security guy noticed sport coat and gave description to other security staff. Quietly told him wife was also armed as she can't run if anything goes wrong and I had radio listening to their comms and could transmit if event were to go Chernobyl. Guy didn't even blink or act suprised just passed on information that pretty middle aged lady in wheelchair was an armed friendly as well and I had radio on frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Nobody in SC with give you grief if you carry your mags in your bag with the rifle. But otherwise, you are GTG while traveling in this State. Hell, if pulled over, the LEO may ask to handle your rig to see if he likes any of the trinkets on it. Wouldn't be the first time I have seen LEO's on with blue lights on standing beside a car taking aim at the trees with a civilian pointing at things on the rifle. Had a trooper do that with my para FAL.
Have found church security are like cops now, no telling what response will be if mention guns. Some are super cool and some lose their cool. Was pulled over by a GA State Trooper back in the early/mid 1980's and had a Colt Cobra concealed under jacket and pair of Colt wheel guns laying in passenger seat. One 4" Python and a 8 3/8" electroless nickel Colt Trooper. Presented GWL/CCW, drivers license and insurance card. He ordered me out of vehicle, hands up and immediately place on hood soon as exited. Asked what issue was and he said license only allowed one loaded weapon and I was going to jail. Was a lot younger and a lot more of a smart@$$ at the time and refused to exit.

Told him I would get out for any other officer, in middle of town to call City Police, County Deputy or another State Trooper and would do as ordered without hesitation but not getting out for him, locked door and rolled up window. Ten minutes later just happens closest Trooper was his watch commander, they spoke and when he came to vehicle opened window and told him my GWL stated "Georgia Weapons License" plural not singular and didn't want to go to jail for more than one loaded gun. Watch commander asked him what the other charges were and he said till saw the guns it was a routine stop. Basically a guy in 20's on Friday night so checking me out. His boss retrieved my paperwork and told me to leave while officer that initiated stop got upset and was fussing with boss as I left.

Had a similar experience with City Police officer who was on his first week of patrol without a supervisor as was fresh out of post training. Another time ran a red light in middle of town. Knew it was there, had about six sorority girls from local college at home, a few male friends and no alcohol. Was thinking about the chicks, what all I needed to pick up at liquor store and spaced the light totally. State Trooper pulled me over told him was carrying and had rack behind seat of truck with a riot shotgun and AR 15. Asked where I was going and replied liquor store. He was blown away by answer and had me blow in breathalyzer for a big zero as had not had a drink yet. Looked behind seat and was mesmerized by my riot shotgun and AR as was before cops had tactical bling on long guns. We sat on tailgate of truck looking at guns, he even unloaded and handed me his new issue pistol to examine, talked guns for a while and he let me off with warning to watch red lights even if had house full of sorority girls.

Recently sent emails to a 16 churches had intention to visit on Sunday nights as our church does not do Sunday night services. Asked what their carry policy was for members/visitors with GWL/CCW licenses and experience in church security. Was actually just seeing what others were doing to see if could pick up tricks for use with our team. Six emailed me back saying had open CCW "opt in" policy and come on anytime. Had four respond no guns except for their paid security officer and Georgia certified law enforcement officers. Six did not respond at all so if they had no "weapons free campus" signs went on in, if had signs posted then went back to truck and left. Also visited eight churches didn't send emails and entered/left based on whether had "weapons free" signs posted. Three did and other five didn't. Every Sunday night able visit a church and have found 1/3 are posted "weapons free" which keeps all non LEO from carrying legally. Of the 2/3 not posted and enter half have no signs of active security presense. I know what to look for and from front door to sanctuary and wandering about most I see is bulge of someone carrying on occasion. Half with security seem to have a decent presense though only had two notice I was armed.

Took wife to a dental continuing education event today and she has her Walther PK380 in arm pouch. Between bottom and rear seat pads chair has a pair of 15"×15" NIJ Level IIIa soft panels. If crap hits fan based on situation she will most likely grab pistol, exit chair and pull it over on top of her as cover. The rear pouch where keep odd things when I am pushing it has a 10"×12" Protech Dyneema special threat plate for exta protection. She is in a room with 200 other dental people of which any who is involved in nasty divorce or having affair with someone in office could have upset spouse or recently fired employee from any practice represented show up and shoot the place up.

With all the school, church, shopping mall and similar shootings people are going to have to arm up and be ready to stop it or at least protect themselves. Cop at Florida school proves they are not always up to the task. People are going to have to arm themselves and train for mass shooting events as becoming too regular. Starting week after Paris shootings a few years ago wear armor everytime leave the house. Usually Level II with Protech Special Threat plates but have a carrier with rifle plates in truck along with helmet.

Went to grocery store after Saturday morning Bible Study today and were three people carrying open not counting myself. Seen as many as five in addition to myself and usually see at least one. Store manager makes it a point to thank people who carry often enough we know are welcome. Last week had a man looked to be in 90's approach ask what weapon and thanks for carrying. I noticed his "I love Jesus" hat had a small 101st pin. I thanked him for his service in the "One-O-Worst" he had a confused look and asked if I had been a paratrooper and replied no bUT saw his "puking buzzard" pin and appreciate his service as was much greater than my carrying a pistol in the grocery store. The old man looked at me and replied that going out in public is likely as dangerous as serving in combat arms these days and shook his head with tears in his eyes. His dejection was obvious about state of the country he had gone to Europe to defend during WW II. He said to keep up what I was doing (he recognized pin from my Christian organization had just left meeting like I recognized his 101st) long as I could as he couldn't safely operate a firearm in a crowd with his Parkesons shakes.

Oops, gotta finish up with work so can go home.
Old February 26, 2018, 08:36   #8
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Take an AR pistol. It will then meet all the reqs for a pistol and not a long gun or NFA item, but have the exact same abilities as your SBR. Love my new Tailhook arm brace on my 10.5' BO. That and 4 mags is what stays in the truck with me. Makes for a lot of "I WILL NOT BE A VICTIM TODAY MOTHER #@%@%!!!!!!!" in a compact "pistol" package.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018, 12:57   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Long and gets far fetched toward end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
Take an AR pistol. It will then meet all the reqs for a pistol and not a long gun or NFA item, but have the exact same abilities as your SBR. Love my new Tailhook arm brace on my 10.5' BO. That and 4 mags is what stays in the truck with me. Makes for a lot of "I WILL NOT BE A VICTIM TODAY MOTHER #@%@%!!!!!!!" in a compact "pistol" package.
Have four barrel designs in stock and not built yet to chose from for "pistol" build that will suit me. A pair of 13.7" Noveske 6.8 barrels with Switchblock gas blocks, an ARP 12.5" 6.8, a 12.5" 5.56 Shilen air gaged profiled by White Oak Armament and a pair of Noveske 13.7" 5.56 tubes. Can't bring any up to 16" with any suppressor adapters can find for rifle builds unless pin a suppressor to them which will happen to at least three of them. A Noveske Flaming Pig brings 12.5" and 13.7" tube up to legal length but once pinned have no option to pop a can on. I believe the 13.7" Noveske will rock on a jumbo "pistol" build. With an AAC 51T Ratchet Mount adapter properly installed barrel comes to 15.77".

If they had made it 14" instead of 13.7" would make rifle length but primary buyer of $400+ short barrels is dot mil and dot gov agencies who don't have the 16" rule to contend with. Know a dot mil guy who regularly carries a rifle with 13.7" 5.56 Noveske tube and one of the out of my price range suppressor designs that partially shrouds the barrel and only adds 3.5" OAL. Says rifle has ~17" barrel including can and has +90% hit ratio at 850 yards. Tried the AAC Brakeout, Saker, external thread muzzle brakes that people use in states that don't allow flash hiders and are conveniently threaded for big truck fuel filters and automotive oil filters but none of those bring the 13.7" tube to 16". Recently purchased a 10.5" Noveske 6.8 because was super inexpensive but will probably lie in pile of loose barrels till I die, 10.5" just won't get 6.8 moving fast enough plus due to short dwell time overgassing will beat the bolt carrier group to shreds.

Do have a 13.7" 5.56 Noveske with pinned suppressor and it shoots sub MOA out to 250 yards which is farthest have shot it but is 20" OAL with the pinned can. My 12.5 " 5.56 White Oak Flaming Pig is profiled from a Shilen air gauged blank and easily shoots sub MOA as well. Believe the 6.8 will be a better pistol cartridge so will most likely have one of the longest pistol builds going as will be 15.75" with suppressor adapter. But will have enough dwell time won't have to over gas the gun and enough tube to get good range from 6.8.

Have a KAC pistol buffer kit with Slash heavy buffer and when finish the current build working on (ARP 6.8 16" 5R barrel with AAC 51T Ratchet Mount Suppressor mount and ATN X Sight 3-15x N.V.) plan to set in on the 13.7" Noveske barrel on a pistol lower. Have a spare 12.5" White Oak Armament 5.56 tube to match the one built the 5.56 Flaming Pig on but think I will save it to pin a suppressor on when papers come back on new can..

If they had made it 14" instead of 13.7" would make rifle length and tried the AAC Brakeout, Saker and other mounts with all coming up short. Believe the 6.8 will be a better pistol cartridge so most likely have one of the longest pistol builds going as will be almost 16" with suppressor adapter but want my pistol to be more rifle like than pistol. Should be a solid hard hitting and accurate 250 yard "pistol". The second 13.7" Noveske 6.8 plan to use it to build a 6.8 Flaming Pig as all rifles don't need suppressor capability. Have so many AR's it's suprising have not done a "pistol" build yet since braces were ruled as legal. Most end up way over gassed to make short barrels work due to short dwell time just not been attractive but being too cheap to pay for an SBR stamp again it's time to figure out some pistol builds. Handling a SIG Rattler has ruined me and just need a long "pistol". Shot a Rattler with a Saker can the other day and may even build one in 300 BO though had sworn off that cartridge.

Like a golf cart comes with a place to carry your clubs and has to hold a set of drivers, irons, sand wedge and putter think all trucks should come with a quick access rifle safe built in so punch the lock and have choice of rifles. Think all trucks need an suppressed SBR or similar, 14.7" rifle with pinned adapter, 18" mid range rifle, 20" or longer varmint rifle and at least one full sized battle rifle. Am looking hard at the locking roof mounts that hold two to three rifles. With one in lock behind seat and three over my head could even put a shotgun back in the truck. A system set up whether hoard of zombies, ground hog or coyote at 400 yards, hoard of burly zombies in armor, squirrel in town at 50 yards, attack by rabid geese from air or whatever push button on steering wheel and appropriate long gun unlocks and lowers a few inches to make grabbing right long gun simple as asking caddy for proper club. Spare mag holder built into console and ballistics App installed in dash in manner soon as push rifle button the GPS flips to shooting App and is linked to rangefinder so point click, dial your dope and squeeze your shot. I would pop on a new pickup with these options. Of course it should have ballistic protection package as well.

My dream truck and "double O" number will likely not be in my near future. (If had truck I described only makes sense like James Bond it comes with a license to kill and maybe a Walther hood ornament to warn morons to step lightly and drive with sense around 007 optioned trucks) Looks like just to make crossing state lines easier a couple of AR pistols will be built in near future. A long barrel 6.8 and mid length barrel 300 BO.