The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old July 27, 2018, 09:13   #1
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Hot Weather Boots--Stitched, not Cemented.

Just had another pair of cemented sole boots let go, this time it was my Bates hot weather boots. I'm done with that style of boot construction, no more.
I'm looking for hot weather boots that have soles stitched to the uppers. I can find all kinds of regular and cold weather boots made like that but nothing specific for hot weather. Lots of manufacturers do not detail how their soles are bonded so I assume cemented in those cases.
Looking for recommendations, thanks.
Old July 27, 2018, 10:23   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Do you really need lace up boots? I wear these. I don't like mesh type boots.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...s?cm_vc=-10005

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 10:47   #3
davedude
Registered

Thanks but yeah I've got a trashed ankle from a dirt bike accident. Need serious support there anymore. I love western style boots, got a couple pairs but only use them for church going.
Old July 27, 2018, 10:57   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Understood. I was wondering if you needed ankle support for climbing and stuff. I like these because they have a composite stitched sole.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 11:17   #5
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
My preference-

I have worn my current pair of Drew's every day for 3 years, working in the shop, irrigating pastures, pushing snow, etc.
They might need to be re-soled in another year.

https://drewsboots.com/product/drews...r-style-dcw8mv

OR

https://whitesboots.com/#/product/2592

Last edited by tdb59; July 27, 2018 at 11:22.
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 12:23   #6
M829A3
Registered

FALaholic #: 10377
Bellevilles
Old July 27, 2018, 13:32   #7
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Were the Bates a factory boot or were they recrafted? I have been wearing Danner Acadia for a long time and the only sole that has even come close to splitting was from a shitty recraft job I had done in Bedford. A guy that knows what he is doing doesn't have that issue.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 13:45   #8
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
My preference-

I have worn my current pair of Drew's every day for 3 years, working in the shop, irrigating pastures, pushing snow, etc.

OR

This^^^ Good work boots aren't cheap. I've been wearing the Whites 400V's for 40 years now, mud, rocks, poof dirt in trenches, and a lot of concrete time. I can't find another boot that holds up as well and doesn't kill my feet. I now have 3 pairs of rebuilt boots on hand that I alternate now and then.
The one time I had a failure with a whites boot it wasn't really their fault, a 6 month old boot ripped out at the arch, I had been working in deep sand and I'm sure that didn't help but I took the boot in begging for a quick repair. My spare pair was in for a rebuild and was no where near being done.
They gave me a new pair for half price and rebuilt the ripped out pair for no charge. That is customer service.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 14:11   #9
davedude
Registered

Quote:
My preference-

OR

Nice boots. Really nice boots!
I may end up with some of those but I'm not seeing what I consider a hot weather boot there unless I missed it.
Old July 27, 2018, 14:14   #10
davedude
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by M829A3 View Post
Bellevilles
Eyeballed those. That's pretty much what I am looking for but I didn't see construction details that said they stitched uppers to soles.
Old July 27, 2018, 14:28   #11
davedude
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
Were the Bates a factory boot or were they recrafted? I have been wearing Danner Acadia for a long time and the only sole that has even come close to splitting was from a shitty recraft job I had done in Bedford. A guy that knows what he is doing doesn't have that issue.
Recrafted? Hmm no I don't think so, I bought them new.
They are a side zipper light tactical boot with no metal in them. Hide and nylon fabric uppers, breath real good. Got a total separation of the sole from the upper, like the glue was not even there anymore.
I'll glue them together with some shoe Goo but they are only good for wearing while mowing the lawn now.
We had a couple days here where my measured temps in the shade on the back porch peaked at 112f. If I'm out and have to hump any distance in that weather I want some suitable boots but no more glued together ones.
Old July 27, 2018, 15:37   #12
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
Nice boots. Really nice boots!
I may end up with some of those but I'm not seeing what I consider a hot weather boot there unless I missed it.
I have no clue what you call a " hot weather boot ".

In Phoenix and the California Desert, we wore Red Wing Pecos # 1155 boots.

Those only cost $100 a pair in 1985.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...-on-boot-brown

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 15:53   #13
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Agree with you on the glued soles, they are worthless.. I am constantly fixing or throwing away boots or sneakers that came apart.

I'd like to know of a good pair as well. I have the same issue, broken right ankle from playing tennis and/or motorcycle accidents.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 16:30   #14
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
Bellevilles
I've more bellevilles completely lose their soles than any other boots. Frickin' sole de-laminates or whatever they do to adhere it to the upper. And they were even close to worn out. Last pair of desert boots I bought were Wellcos,which generally have a not-that-great reputation. Those wore a lot longer than higher end boots I've had. They just got a split between the upper and sole,inside,right boot. Can still wear them,just get sand in them now.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 16:45   #15
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Recrafted? Hmm no I don't think so, I bought them new.

We had a couple days here where my measured temps in the shade on the back porch peaked at 112f. If I'm out and have to hump any distance in that weather I want some suitable boots but no more glued together ones.
I am familiar with DFW heat....lived it. Regardless of heat, a quality boot, or a quality recrafted boot shouldn't fail. Glued isn't likely the issue...poor quality work/materials is the culprit.

As to recrafting:

https://www.danner.com/boot-recrafting
Old July 27, 2018, 17:24   #16
underwoodbits
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 81144
http://www.danner.com/men/military/m...ave-m-e-b.html

I wear these, really good boots. For hot weather too.
underwoodbits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2018, 00:04   #17
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
^^^ got a pair of these, danner lights and belleville, bad feet...gotta wear good boots.
spider991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2018, 12:45   #18
davedude
Registered

Quote:
I have no clue what you call a " hot weather boot ".

In Phoenix and the California Desert, we wore Red Wing Pecos # 1155 boots.

Those only cost $100 a pair in 1985.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...-on-boot-brown
I'm not real boot savvy but trying to learn. I think a hot weather boot is going to be like a desert combat boot or a Vietnam jungle boot type construction, made to dry quick and ventilate the foot.
Folks will make do with what they have mostly. Amazes me always to see cops in Thailand and the Philippines that wear those serious regular duty boots standing for hours on hot roads directing traffic without seeming to break sweat. Everyone else are wearing flip-flops there, for good reason!
I do have good boots, some Kennetrek Mountain Extremes and some Danner Crater Rims. Regular, un-insulated boots I could wear but I feel are uncomfortable(too warm) to wear in this weather. I made a mistake with the Danners and ordered them in a 6" height, not enough support for the bad ankle.
Old July 28, 2018, 12:52   #19
davedude
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Agree with you on the glued soles, they are worthless.. I am constantly fixing or throwing away boots or sneakers that came apart.

I'd like to know of a good pair as well. I have the same issue, broken right ankle from playing tennis and/or motorcycle accidents.
I'm continuing to search but am finding that some cement is used in everything.
In the stitchdown construction the uppers are stitched to insoles/midsoles but outsoles are cemented on.
So lookin for best possible reviews and will go from there.
Old July 28, 2018, 13:13   #20
davedude
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
I am familiar with DFW heat....lived it. Regardless of heat, a quality boot, or a quality recrafted boot shouldn't fail. Glued isn't likely the issue...poor quality work/materials is the culprit.

As to recrafting:

https://www.danner.com/boot-recrafting
The photo is poor quality but you can see the manner of failure.

IMG_20180728_125946117

Though not a true hot weather boot they are pretty close.
I used Superfeet insoles in these to tighten up the support. Not bad until the fail.
I will "recraft" these with some Shoe Goo but they will be used only for sh*t work around the house until truely dead like my other cemented sole boots that failed.
Old July 28, 2018, 13:14   #21
underwoodbits
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
I'm continuing to search but am finding that some cement is used in everything.
In the stitchdown construction the uppers are stitched to insoles/midsoles but outsoles are cemented on.
So lookin for best possible reviews and will go from there.
Those Danners in that link I listed are really good boots. I work in temps close to or over 100 most of the summer. I work for a railroad and have to wear steel or composite toe boots. They quit making these in the steel toe and have no idea what I will get next. I wear 15EE and it's not easy finding boots that size.

I walk on ballast all day and these boots still last close to a year. Might not sound like that much, but other boots wear much faster. Ballast will destroy boots. The leather is still good, just eats the soles. And I can usually find them on sale so a lot of times that is cheaper than having them recrafted. I have found them before for $300 for two pair.

I use the same ones for hunting minus the safety toe. Great for hunting too.

Anyways, i definitely recommend them.

Last edited by underwoodbits; July 28, 2018 at 13:19.
Old July 28, 2018, 13:18   #22
davedude
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwoodbits View Post

Got my eye on those, like the vents.
Old July 28, 2018, 13:20   #23
davedude
Registered

Quote:
I wear 15EE and it's not easy finding boots that size.
Dang dude that's Sasquatch size man!
Old July 28, 2018, 13:25   #24
underwoodbits
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Dang dude that's Sasquatch size man!
LOL, yes it is and I hate trying to find any footwear. Had a size 13 in the 8th grade and my mother hated it. No internet ordering in those days, had to drive over 100 miles to find shoes.
Old July 28, 2018, 13:56   #25
davedude
Registered

Quote:
LOL, yes it is and I hate trying to find any footwear. Had a size 13 in the 8th grade and my mother hated it. No internet ordering in those days, had to drive over 100 miles to find shoes.
I thought I had it bad with my 11w! I can imagine the issue finding your size would be. These days, the internet can be your friend sometimes.

https://www.xlfeet.com/Default.asp

https://www.2bigfeet.com/

You probably are aware of these. Good luck finding your replacements. Maybe time to consider recrafting?
Old July 28, 2018, 13:59   #26
davedude
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
I've more bellevilles completely lose their soles than any other boots. Frickin' sole de-laminates or whatever they do to adhere it to the upper. And they were even close to worn out. Last pair of desert boots I bought were Wellcos,which generally have a not-that-great reputation. Those wore a lot longer than higher end boots I've had. They just got a split between the upper and sole,inside,right boot. Can still wear them,just get sand in them now.
Good info! Thanks!
Old July 28, 2018, 19:50   #27
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I believe what you are looking for is a boot made with Goodyear Welts. I have only seen Blake stiching in shoes, not boots.

https://www.primermagazine.com/2014/...tich-cementing

Take a look at these:

http://www.militaryuniformsupply.com...oof-with-vents

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2018, 20:08   #28
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
The photo is poor quality but you can see the manner of failure.

Though not a true hot weather boot they are pretty close.
I used Superfeet insoles in these to tighten up the support. Not bad until the fail.
I will "recraft" these with some Shoe Goo but they will be used only for sh*t work around the house until truely dead like my other cemented sole boots that failed.
Made in China? Bangladesh?
Old July 28, 2018, 21:05   #29
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
I believe what you are looking for is a boot made with Goodyear Welts. I have only seen Blake stiching in shoes, not boots.

https://www.primermagazine.com/2014/...tich-cementing

Take a look at these:

http://www.militaryuniformsupply.com...oof-with-vents
Just sayin'.... those would last about 10 minutes with the amount of welding I do.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2018, 00:20   #30
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
Voodoo tactical, $99.glued. have held up in Az very well, pretty hot here past few daysl,just hiking tonight. Affordable enough to replace every few years, very lightweight. Third pair, no sole separation, soles just wear out .
Gary Harwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2018, 03:54   #31
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
tig tog tag
Illurian00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2018, 06:30   #32
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
Quote:

I've got a pair of these. They're 3 years old now. Still going strong.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2018, 11:47   #33
M829A3
Registered

Wore various Bellevilles for duty when I was working for Uncle Sugar. Wore some Bates and H&H as well. Currently beating about in some Belle's now (hot weather 300s, I think). They stand behind their product warranty, good for a year after purchase. The soles are molded on, but are repairable. Belleville has a list of certified cobblers that are Goodyear Vibram certed. However the post cobbler was always able to resole.
Old July 30, 2018, 13:13   #34
davedude
Registered

Quote:
Wore various Bellevilles for duty when I was working for Uncle Sugar. Wore some Bates and H&H as well. Currently beating about in some Belle's now (hot weather 300s, I think). They stand behind their product warranty, good for a year after purchase. The soles are molded on, but are repairable. Belleville has a list of certified cobblers that are Goodyear Vibram certed. However the post cobbler was always able to resole.
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Looks like some negative, some positive experience with
the glued boots. I think I'm still going to try some stitched boots. Will continue to look into this though before I pop for some.
Old July 30, 2018, 16:04   #35
davedude
Registered

M829a3 I wonder if your cobbler had to grind off soles or was he able to peel or pry them off?
Old July 31, 2018, 20:41   #36
davedude
Registered

I think I might have found exactly what I want. Light flexible hot weather boot, stitched soles, side zipper like my failed Bates.

Ridge Duramax 8" Zipper

https://ridgefootwear.com/product/4105-dura-max/

https://ridgefootwear.com/wp-content..._2018_Intl.pdf

I paid $73.50 at LAPoliceGear.com, was expecting to pay more.

Got them in black which was what I wanted.

A youtube review of a similar Ridge boot here:

https://youtu.be/rmasHrwuBUc

We will see how it goes once they arrive.

Of note--found an (stitched I hope) Oakley range bag on clearance at the same site--- I needed to replace a glued together Beretta bag that failed (came apart) and they gave me a free pair of house brand tactical pants. Well---OK.
Old August 01, 2018, 23:11   #37
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
Look at halls safety , Grove City Pa mostly lineman supplies but lots of good quality boots with stitched soles there
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2018, 00:37   #38
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I had my ballerina shoes (pair on the left in http://falfiles.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=11) resoled at an old school shoe place in December after using them for 5 years. Hope to get another 5 years out of them. The shoes on the right side seem to have stitched and then glued soles, I guess they subscribe to the belts + suspenders principle.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2018, 22:57   #39
M829A3
Registered

Quote:
M829a3 I wonder if your cobbler had to grind off soles or was he able to peel or pry them off?

Usually peeled them, then stitched, rivet and glue the new ones on. Never had issues. Now I did have a set of soles fall, off a set of Bates,a week after having been stitched on. Not the boots fault, it's the workmanship that counts.
Old August 07, 2018, 21:30   #40
davedude
Registered

Got my boots yesterday, wore them all day today. No issues, good fit, comfort, support is ok. Roomy so I may put in a Superfeet insole. I was worried they might be factory seconds or something for the price but they are not as far as I can tell.
Watch, now with my luck the soles will come apart in chunks rather than just plain separate....... we'll see.
I'll get a photo posted.
Old August 07, 2018, 22:46   #41
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Worked in asphalt most summers which is a lot of heat and a lot of walking. If you buy a boot for comfort they tend to break down quickly but if you buy a well built boot they end up uncomfortable. I suggest that before you buy your next pair of boots you go to a real foot doctor and have some orthodics made. Then buy a good solid boot the orthodics fit into. The foot and joint pain all the way up to the back will get relief when you get orthodics.

A lace up boot that I like and wore for years was a Danner boot with the dannerbob sole but this was not a work boot for me, it was a hunting and run around boot. Light and comfortable but if you hike alot the bobs wear flat.
Old August 08, 2018, 20:43   #42
davedude
Registered

That is a good idea Jim. I will look into the custom orthodics. Makes sense.

Wore them again to work all day. Even more comfortable. These will not take much to break in. Like I mentioned before, they felt a little loose inside.

IMG_20180808_195329605

I pulled out the insoles this evening to have a look. Not very impressive. But I just happen to have some Superfeet green insoles that were too much for any other of my boots so I tried them in these Ridge boots. Wow. Fit perfect and lock down my heels very nice. Big improvement.

You can see the difference.

IMG_20180808_195532449

IMG_20180808_195502637

Will test again tomorrow with the SF insoles and see how it goes. Need to do some hiking and see how they do the mileage.

As these Ridge boots are a light flexible "urban" boot (IMHO) I'm considering a much heavier and stiffer shitkicker hot weather boot like some of the ideas floated here, maybe the danner marine corps boot. For less hospitable non urban North Texas areas. Cover all the bases, ya know?