GSP228
Veteran Member
Contributor

FALaholic #: 13887
"Smart" Electric Meters

Anyone else having problems with smart meters? My power bill has gone up to 3
times what it was with an analog meter. GA Power is no help. They give me the
runaround and say I am using that many more KW. When I try to get a break-
down of my bill online, GP tells me what electric device I am using at what time,
how long I used it, and how much electricity it used. They told me how many laptops
I have, how many desktops, how many TV's. Told me when I vacuumed,
washed dishes and clothes, etc. That's scary as hell.
Old June 19, 2018, 14:52   #2
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Not yet, but probably a matter of time. I assume it's a stupid smart meter of some kind, it does not have the old fashioned rotating disc.

We have CobbEMC up this way.

Maybe someone illegally skimming power from you somehow?
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018, 15:05   #3
GSP228
Veteran Member
Contributor

Ga Power can read the meters remotely, be notified of an outage, and disconnect power remotely. I was getting a meter reading last week and a
strange code popped up. I asked about that today, "Data download". I would
think they could be hacked or manipulated remotely.
Old June 19, 2018, 15:48   #4
skinnydash
Registered

FALaholic #: 79317
It was explained to us that the motors in the old type with the rotating disk were slowing down due to age and wear, thus not giving an accurate reading of usage. Our bill doubled when the digital meter was installed.
skinnydash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018, 16:24   #5
GSP228
Veteran Member
Contributor

Got to digging a little. Smart meters emit RF and microwave radiation. Some
have also caught fire and burned down houses. Something else to worry about.
Old June 19, 2018, 16:56   #6
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
Don't you just love democraps? This was one of Bam bam's first giveaways.
357ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018, 18:27   #7
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Mine is on a pole in the back 40... let it burn, it's their problem. Since they put it in 2 years ago my average useage hasn't any change, and with remote read I'm saving a $15 a month charge for "obstructed meter"... I have 2 "meter reader eaters" in the back yard. (that wouldn't hurt a flea)

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018, 20:36   #8
hongkong3
Double G's Personal Troll

FALaholic #: 3565
Here in Seattle they notified customers that they were switching to smart meters a couple of years ago. Most people were against it for a lot of different reasons and after numerous public meetings it was decided that they would proceed with the change over. I sent the below letter to both the power company and the city, registered mail return receipt. About 3 months later I saw 2 power company workers attempting to remove my old meter. I confronted them and gave them a copy of the letter to give to their supervisor and told them to leave. The old meter is still there and I get a big kick out of hearing my neighbors constantly complaining about how high their monthly electric bill has increased since installing the new smart meters. The letter was written by a action group here in Seattle that opposed the meters, feel free to use it as you see fit.

August 14th 2016

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Seattle WA 98101

To:
Seattle City Light GM & CEO
P.O. Box 34023
Seattle WA 98124-4023

NOTICE OF NO CONSENT TO TRESPASS AND SURVEILLANCE, NOTICE OF LIABILITY

Dear Seattle City Light GM & CEO and all agents, officers, employees, contractors and interested parties,
If you intend to install a "Smart Meter" or any activity monitoring device at the above address, you and all other parties are hereby denied consent for installation and use of all such devices on the above property. Installation and use of any activity monitoring device is hereby refused and prohibited. Informed consent is legally required for installation of any surveillance device and any device that will collect and transmit private and personal data to undisclosed and unauthorized parties for undisclosed and unauthorized purposes. Authorization for sharing of personal and private information may only be given by the originator and subject of that information. That authorization is hereby denied and refused with regard to the above property and all its occupants. "Smart Meters" violate the law and cause endangerment to residents by the following factors:
1. They individually identify electrical devices inside the home and record when they are operated causing invasion of privacy.
2. They monitor household activity and occupancy in violation of rights and domestic security.
3. They transmit wireless signals which may be intercepted by unauthorized and unknown parties. Those signals can be used to monitor behavior and occupancy and they can be used by criminals to aid criminal activity against the occupants.
4. Data about occupant's daily habits and activities are collected, recorded and stored in permanent databases which are accessed by parties not authorized or invited to know and share that private data by those who's activities were recorded.
5. Those with access to the smart meter databases can review a permanent history of household activities complete with calendar and time-of-day metrics to gain a highly invasive and detailed view of the lives of the occupants.
1 0f 2

6. Those databases may be shared with, or fall into the hands of criminals, blackmailers, corrupt law enforcement, private hackers of wireless transmissions, power company employees, and other
unidentified parties who may act against the interests of the occupants under metered surveillance.
7. "Smart Meters" are, by definition, surveillance devices which violate Federal and State wiretapping laws by recording and storing databases of private and personal activities and behaviors without the consent or knowledge of those people who are monitored.
8. It is possible for example, with analysis of certain "Smart Meter" data, for unauthorized and distant parties to determine medical conditions, sexual activities, physical locations of persons within the home, vacancy patterns and personal information and habits of the occupants.
9. Your company has not adequately disclosed the particular recording and transmission capabilities of the smart meter, or the extent of the data that will be recorded, stored and shared, or the purposes to which the data will and will not be put.
10. Electromagnetic and Radio Frequency energy contamination from smart meters exceeds allowable safe and healthful limits for domestic environments as determined by the EPA and other scientific programs.

I forbid, refuse and deny consent of any installation and use of any monitoring, eavesdropping, and surveillance devices on my property, my place of residence and my place of occupancy. That applies to and includes "Smart Meters" and activity monitoring devices of any and all kinds. Any attempt to install any such device directed at me, other occupants, my property or residence will constitute trespass, stalking, wiretapping and unlawful surveillance and endangerment of health and safety, all prohibited and punishable by law through criminal and civil complaints. All persons, government agencies and private organizations responsible for installing or operating monitoring devices directed at or recording my activities, which I have not specifically authorized in writing, will be fully liable for any violations, intrusions, harm or negative consequences caused or made possible by those devices whether those negative consequences are justified by “Law” or not..*

This is legal notice. After this delivery the liabilities listed above may not be denied or avoided by parties named and implied in this notice. Civil Servant immunities and protections do not apply to the installation of smart meters due to the criminal violations they represent.
Notice to principal is notice to agent and notice to agent is notice to principal. All rights reserved.

Sincerely,
Lest we forget Gougered (gôôg • erd), German, adj. 1. Slang. Bilked: cheated. 2. To be deceived or tricked. 3. To be deprive of some right or something legally due. 4. Deliberate misleading or deluding, to produce misunderstanding or to prevent someone from knowing the truth 5. To be deceived by a stratagem, often of a petty, crafty, or dishonorable kind. ©
hongkong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018, 21:11   #9
GSP228
Veteran Member
Contributor

Wish I had known this before they installed the damned thing.
Old June 20, 2018, 06:06   #10
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP228 View Post
Wish I had known this before they installed the damned thing.
I didn't want the damn thing either but was told it was mandatory, thanks to fedgov.
357ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 06:56   #11
2barearms
I really don't hate you..
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
They jumped the fence and installed mine. If you don’t agree to it they will simply unplug you. Go get yourself one of those listening devices like Alexa
so they can hear your wife yelling oh god oh god yes yes yes........

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 08:05   #12
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I think I have one. It has some numbers and sh-t on it. It's probly smarter than I am.
Old June 20, 2018, 08:11   #13
partisan50
Registered

FALaholic #: 1222
They are currently installing them here in nePA and you have no choice.
partisan50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 08:42   #14
2barearms
I really don't hate you..
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by partisan50 View Post
We have had the meters for quite some time now. As long as you
buy stupid appliances they won't talk much ijs. Other than spying on you
the real benefit is the fact the usage is uploaded and
doesn't need a meter reader.

When the changeover took place they got my friends
meter crossed with the mega mansion next door.
The meter broke and when they replaced it couldn't get
it to log in. They then discovered he had been paying
the neighbors bill for something like 5 or more years.
The neighbor is the big winner they could only go back about a year.
My friends gets the over payments for 5 years.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 09:06   #15
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Went through this crap

Kept an efficency apartment in a city
just a mattress on the floor, TV and fridge, both of which were unplugged except the one week a month I stayed there.

I was paying roughly 15 bucks a month then had the smart meter upgrade
my bill jumped to nearly $50
Power company actually had the nerve to claim that my previous billing was what was inaccurate, the new digital meters could not tell a lie
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 09:53   #16
NFADLR
Banned

FALaholic #: 7480
IMO smart meters are just a better way to separate the sucker consumer from their hard earned $.

Data mining and time if day billing so at a peak usage time they can tell by the data theft if you are using that power and bill you at a higher rate..

That's why a major push for off grid solar these days.
NFADLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 12:54   #17
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
I had a smart meter on the house I used to own in rural East Texas and didn't really notice much of a difference in my bill.

There are different types of "smart" meters that offer varying degrees of "smart" technology, depending upon how much the utility wants to invest in the technology. I was on an electric co-op and what they installed was a really remote reading meter, or "turtle meter" as they called it, that merely transmitted the monthly usage data to the nearest substation. Other utilities have installed "smarter" meters that use satellite signals to read, connect, and disconnect service. Deep East Texas Electric Co-op wasn't that sophisticated or well funded though.

While I have heard of instances where electronic meters get screwed up and over bill the user, by and large, they all should simply measure your kWh usage the same as the older style analog meters. If your bill jumps up significantly, you should probably call and raise hell with your electric utility and bully them into coming out and taking a second measure of your electric usage. Electric meters aren't infallible and there are instances where the meter didn't read correctly and the customer was charged 2-3X more than he should've been.

The one thing I would be curious to know is whether the electric utility also implemented a different pricing scheme when they installed the meters? Some utilities try to bill varying prices throughout the day, depending on demand, load, and cost of generation. They don't do that where I live, but they may do it elsewhere.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 13:41   #18
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
I've kept them off my house for 3 years now with 2 1/4 steel L brackets, one bolted to the house and the other hinged to cover the release of the old meter.
They have tried...and threatened this or that.....three years running and I still have my old one......and power.
Like this

https://michiganstopsmartmeters.com/

http://www.smartmetereducationnetwork.com/
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 15:00   #19
twodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 750
I've had one for a few years and my bill went down. Some people did complain that their bill went up.
twodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 23:30   #20
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
They jumped the fence and installed mine. If you don’t agree to it they will simply unplug you.
This^^. The Utility Co. owns that meter no matter where its located, they are also responsible for the wire coming into the meter. By signing a contract to make your lights come on, you are also giving them a legal easement to maintain their property. Barricading them is breach of contract and you will eventually have no electricity. I have 2 lineman friends and that's how the local utility handles this type of situation.
In our area most bills have stayed level or actually dropped from these Evil Meters.
Thankfully my county has the lowest power rates in the entire US. That helps.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 00:05   #21
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
I've had one for years now. I paid less after it went into use.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 19:29   #22
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by partisan50 View Post
Sure you do.

I'm offgrid, no wires to my place and my meter is my own inside my house.

**** em.
Old June 25, 2018, 21:29   #23
NFADLR
Banned

Sounds like an unconscionable contract.

Unconscionability*(sometimes known as*unconscionable*dealing/conduct in Australia) is a doctrine in*contract*law that describes terms that are so extremely unjust, or overwhelmingly one-sided in favor of the party who has the superior bargaining power, that they are contrary to good conscience.

https://ppjg.me/2011/10/03/cpuc-and-...ted-extortion/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v71 View Post
This^^. The Utility Co. owns that meter no matter where its located, they are also responsible for the wire coming into the meter. By signing a contract to make your lights come on, you are also giving them a legal easement to maintain their property. Barricading them is breach of contract and you will eventually have no electricity. I have 2 lineman friends and that's how the local utility handles this type of situation.
In our area most bills have stayed level or actually dropped from these Evil Meters.
Thankfully my county has the lowest power rates in the entire US. That helps.
Old June 25, 2018, 22:05   #24
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
Hell-of a price to pay for delivery of 'potential difference' . . .

Old June 26, 2018, 08:39   #25
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
My electric bill is the lowest it as ever been,,, grand kids are cheaper to run than the kid's I made,,, I wouldn't mind having a dozen more.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018, 09:50   #26
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFADLR View Post
Sounds like an unconscionable contract.

Unconscionability*(sometimes known as*unconscionable*dealing/conduct in Australia) is a doctrine in*contract*law that describes terms that are so extremely unjust, or overwhelmingly one-sided in favor of the party who has the superior bargaining power, that they are contrary to good conscience.

https://ppjg.me/2011/10/03/cpuc-and-...ted-extortion/
You're free to argue that all you want to. They'll just cut you off and you'll be offgrid like Nomad is.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018, 10:15   #27
NFADLR
Banned

I have solar, wind, generator backup so since they have been notified that I don't wish to have a smart meter and at this time still don't they will lose.

Signs every 50 ft along fence line that if they trespass with the intention of installing a smart meter they will be violating the terms of the contract.

I didn't agree to the installation of a smart meter, said terms were not disclosed in original agreement.

With the recent increase in kwh rates I would rather not contract with them anyhow so having them cut off the power and remove their equipment from my land would be a blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
You're free to argue that all you want to. They'll just cut you off and you'll be offgrid like Nomad is.
Old June 26, 2018, 10:20   #28
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I had a new one, and my bill went up. It started making a buzzing sound like a wasp nest inside it.

I complained, a lineman came out and he heard it too. He immediately took it away. He seemed very concerned for some reason.
My bill went down.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018, 19:22   #29
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I have three of the smart meters on different properties and have noticed no difference in my bills. A buddy did burn up three smart meters running his TIG welder though. Smoked those suckers quick. The REA boys did not believe it until three of them stood around and watched it happen.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote