Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old November 01, 2017, 19:30   #1
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
Savage 10/110 BA 6.5

After building an (AR-10)LR-6.5 creedmore at considerable cost I came to the conclusion the cartridge is best utilized in a bolt gun and ordered the Savage 10/110 BA in 6.5 Creedmore. There is a $150.00 factory Rebate and you should be able to get the rifle for $1050 out the door then minus 150 makes it $900.
Pretty Cool stuff.
Old November 03, 2017, 17:04   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
A friend of mine picked up a Savage Long range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmore. Loves the heck out of it. Gets great groups and loves the light recoil compared to his old 7 Mag. So far, he has one shot drops during deer season.

I expected nothing less since my Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoore makes me look like a pro every time I go out with it. I would love to see somebody that CAN shoot show me what that cartridge can do.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2017, 15:19   #3
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

I took my first LR-6.5 creed more out to zero was banging 8 inch steel at 600 yards, Then I went out to check hits on the steel and this guy had a custom bolt in a custom rest that I have never seen the likes of, old retired recon guy, He shot two five shot groups, one 3 inch, the other 2.6, he measured with a dial caliper. I wouldn't have believed it if I had not watch him set the target and fire the rounds, he promptly photographed and sent his buddies the pics to droll over. This is why I am going bolt now but I can't afford his rig.
Old November 12, 2017, 16:53   #4
Slo cat
Master Metal Checkerer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 11908
I am shopping for a bolt gun to take to a 4 day precision rifle course.

My finalists are all in 6.5 Creedmoor. Including the Savage 10/110 BA, The Tikka T3X CTR Tactical and the Ruger Precision Rifle.

I am thinking about the SWFA SS 12X fixed with a mildot reticle and turrets.

tac-40, what scope is on your RPR?

If I get excited about my new rifle, I could easily get into PRS matches.
Slo cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 21:33   #5
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
I am running a Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 with the EBR-2C First Focal Plane reticle. I got it a good discount because Vortex was coming out with their new model, so I saved a few hundred bucks. I like the FFP because the ranges stay the same. Went with the MOA Mil-Dots because I understand MOA and not so quick on the uptake with Mrad. I did notice that at 24x, the scope and rifle picked up my chest pulse through my thin T-shirt. Most of my shooting now is in the 12-15x range. Longest I have stretched my rifle out is is 600 yds. But I have an invite to an under construction 1000 yard range come next year when finished.

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old November 14, 2017, 00:28   #6
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo cat View Post
I am shopping for a bolt gun to take to a 4 day precision rifle course.

My finalists are all in 6.5 Creedmoor. Including the Savage 10/110 BA, The Tikka T3X CTR Tactical and the Ruger Precision Rifle.

I am thinking about the SWFA SS 12X fixed with a mildot reticle and turrets.

If I get excited about my new rifle, I could easily get into PRS matches.
Have you looked at Bergara? I have the LRP in 6 Creedmoor. I'm no shooter but have put up a 5 shot 3" group at 600 with factory Hornaday 108gn ELD match ammo. Factory ammo for the 6 is 20% more expensive than the 6.5. Picked up the rifle at a great price through a BIN GB ad; only $150 or so more than the RPR is running. She currently wears a Millett 6-24x56 scope until I can save enough coin for a better glass.

Another shooter at my local range is running the Tikka T3X CRT and getting great accuracy. A little pricier than the Bergara from what I've seen for sale.

Both of these rifles are competing favorably with the high dollar bolt guns I see weekly.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017, 20:26   #7
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

That Bergara was a great looking rifle, real tempted but getting to close to retirement. Chose the Savage for economics and will post range results early next week as I test it out to 600 yards Sunday. Converted the LR-6.5 to .308 with an $89 16"barrel from midway and will do like wise.
Old November 14, 2017, 20:50   #8
Slo cat
Master Metal Checkerer
Silver Contributor

tac-40 and Eyeguy. Thanks for the information. Bergara rifles are new to me, so I did some searching on GunBroker. Some of their top end rifles actually come with a test target shot at the factory. Impressive.

The Ruger Precision Rifle lists at $1,599, but you can find them NIB on GunBroker for $1,000, + or - a $ or two. Quite a discount. And 5 1/2 pages of listings just in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited by Slo cat; November 14, 2017 at 20:56.
Old November 15, 2017, 10:17   #9
Sudden Death
Gone Fishin!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 31333
You can find the 6.5 CM Bergara B14 HMR (Item #B14S352) for $840 shipped and the 6.5 CM Tikka CTR w 24" tube( Item#JRTXC382CA) for $883. If you want the Tikka in SS, it is $972.

The Tikka 6.5 CM paired with a SS10X Milquad is what I would roll with. You can always throw it into a chassis later on if so desired. With a stiff load of RL26 and a (140-147 grain bullet) you'll have a very respectable long range performer.

I think the fixed 10 is a bit more versatile than the 12X, unless strictly punching targets on the range, and the milquad reticle is a bit easier to use at distance than the mil-dot.

The 6.5 CM is an inherently accurate/efficient cartridge (30 degree shoulder) and most all of the manufacturers put out an accurate rifle, so go with what you like.

SD
Sudden Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017, 11:54   #10
Slo cat
Master Metal Checkerer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden Death View Post
The Tikka 6.5 CM paired with a SS10X Milquad is what I would roll with. You can always throw it into a chassis later on if so desired.

I think the fixed 10 is a bit more versatile than the 12X, unless strictly punching targets on the range, and the milquad reticle is a bit easier to use at distance than the mil-dot.

SD
The SS Mil-Quad Reticle is what I meant to say, not the mildot. Thanks for your recommendation on the 10X vs. 12X, as I was not sure which would be better.

What are the pros/cons of a chassis? Other that the obvious LOP and cheek adjustments? I am not sure I like a pistol grip on a precision rifle. Is there a downside to the RPR? They seem very popular.

Another question as to barrel length, the Tikka is available in 20" and 24". For only target shooting, which would you prefer?

Last edited by Slo cat; November 15, 2017 at 12:09.
Old November 15, 2017, 21:33   #11
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Is there a downside to the RPR?
The only one I have noted to date is the weight. They are not made to hump the bush with on a sling. The nice thing about them is they can fold the stock, so you have a shorter package. Carries nice in a short drag bag case with shoulder straps.

Old November 16, 2017, 01:36   #12
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:

What are the pros/cons of a chassis? Other that the obvious LOP and cheek adjustments? I am not sure I like a pistol grip on a precision rifle. Is there a downside to the RPR? They seem very popular.
PG or no I think is a personal preference. While I liked the monolithic stock on the Bergara (the Bergara LRP uses a XLR Industries Element stock) some like the RPR for its ease of personalization. Mil-spec buffer tube allows easy switchout buttstock. Same with the option to change out the HG. The RPR also sports a standard barrel nut making it easier for the shooter to change out the barrel without sending it off to a gunsmith. I did add a folder attachment to my XLR stock mainly to allow for easier access to the rear of the action for cleaning rod clearance.

The HMR mentioned elsewhere in this thread is a great rifle for the sub-$900 price point. Interesting that the entry level B-14 receiver rifles are all built in Spain where Bergara started, use a Bergara trigger and CH-MO barrels. Their next level up, the B17 receiver rifles are all manufactured and hand fit in their Lawrenceville GA facility, wear Timney triggers and have SS barrels.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017, 20:25   #13
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
Quote:
The SS Mil-Quad Reticle is what I meant to say, not the mildot. Thanks for your recommendation on the 10X vs. 12X, as I was not sure which would be better.

Another question as to barrel length, the Tikka is available in 20" and 24". For only target shooting, which would you prefer?
Tikka and Savage have a huge support base. Bergara, not yet.

Not a fan of Savage extractors or bolt travel. RPR barrels have been hit or miss for some. Tikka shorter throw, smooth travel+ better extractor than Savage.

I'd recommend T3X, 24" to for every advantage in velocity, the 20" can be a challenge to maximize 6.5. I really like the MDT LSS-XL chassis, no top rail or tube in the way of mounting scope where you want it. That said, forward mount bridge is available. If you're going to go full retard PRS choose your stock wisely.

NF SHV 4-16x is great bang for buck FFP. SWFA SS is nothing to sneeze at either.
Fn/form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017, 00:37   #14
Slo cat
Master Metal Checkerer
Silver Contributor

I've taken these recommendations and used them to google and get more information. Wow, this is a whole new world to me. I've watched videos of PRS competition and dozens of new questions arise from this on-line research. I better stay with just a basic set-up, or thousands of USD's could be spent.
Old November 17, 2017, 15:39   #15
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Once you get the rifle, you'll need some accessories. Various bags to support you and the rifle in every position. I got a couple from Weibad and they afre fantastic. They come in different sizes and fillers for weight control.

http://wiebad.mybigcommerce.com/wieb...ady-rest-bags/

Old November 21, 2017, 22:12   #16
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Iíve got a friend who has let me shoot his RPR in 308. His really loves M118LR and has put up some nice groups. His wears a Vortex Viper pst 6.5-20 or something in that range cost about $900. Good piece of glass from what Iíve been able to assess.

Iíve got another friend who has a Savage 110BA in 308, it also wears a Vortex scope. Iím not sure which one. While, I havenít gotten any trigger time on it, he says itís way more accurate than he is. His Vortex scope might be a first gen Razor, heís got a friend who is sponsored by Vortex and gets his hand me downs when his friend is give a new scope.

As far as putting a scope on which ever rifle you pick, I would suggest that you spend at least 50% of the value of the rifle on your scope. My experience has been really good with Leupold Mark 4 scopes. My M24 had a M3A (same scope as the Mark 4 10x). Iíve tried to find a cheaper scope that has as fine of a crosshair as the Mark 4 but havenít found anything yet. If you plan on shooting at distance, you need to have a fine retical so that it doesnít block the target too much. The longest hit I had with the M24 was at 1160 yards, which was no small feet when you realize the vertical adjustment is one inch and the horizontal adjustment is half inch at 100 yards.

The Super Sniper scopes arenít bad but there are much better scopes out there. Iíd spend a little more and get the a Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x40 ER/T. The 4.5-14x40 LR/T would be even better but itís almost three times the cost. The ER/T has a second plane retical and the LR/T has a first focal plane retical.

As far as a shoot bag goes, we used to make our own out of an USMC issue sock and kitty litter. Fill it about half full twist it and then pull the top of the sock back over the filled part of the sock. It can be as tight or as loose as you would like it.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2017, 20:09   #17
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Didn't have the bags, got 4.5 inch groups at 300 and am working on technique and loads. Back Saturday to improve.
Old November 22, 2017, 20:45   #18
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55bird View Post
Didn't have the bags, got 4.5 inch groups at 300 and am working on technique and loads. Back Saturday to improve.
Thatís pretty good groups. As for a bag, just make one. You can use sand, kitty litter, small plastic beads, anything that you pack into a knee length sock. Fill it about half full, twist the sock a couple time and pull the open end back over the filled side. If itís too hard move the where you have twisted back, if itís to soft move the twisted point closer.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2017, 22:38   #19
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Yes you can make your bags, but I would go with the bean bag chair filling. You can pick that up at almost any hobby/craft shop or on line. I used rice in mine until I got my new bags. Rice was okay but like most DIY fillers, heavy. The bean bag stuffing is light weight, moldable, and doesn't react with getting wet.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Popped-Po...-Feet/11004709

I would not use cat litter. When it gets wet, it tends to clump together and dry out almost like rocks.

Old Yesterday, 08:19   #20
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Went with the Leupold Mark4 4.5 X 50 LR/T with TS-32X1 reticle, got Applied Ballistics book and ordered ultimate sniper for tweeting technique and understanding how and what is going on, a lot of fun.
Old Yesterday, 09:34   #21
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Looking at a Savage stealth in 6.5 to go along with two Bula XM21s in 6.5 Creedmoor I just ordered yesterday. I figured it was about time, after 50years of shooting the .308 to try something different.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by ArtBanks; Yesterday at 10:59.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:44   #22
Sudden Death
Gone Fishin!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 31333
Get em, (SS Super Chickens), while they're hot. Use code "SHIP49" for free shipping.

https://swfa.com/blackfriday2017

SD
Sudden Death is offline   Reply With Quote