Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old October 19, 2012, 19:29   #1
mpnv
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64169
Questions regarding Saiga AK's

I am thinking about getting a converted Saiga AK in 7.62x39. Unfortunatly, none of the local shops have one to look at. Does anyone know if they are number matching? What is the general opinion on these?
mpnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2012, 19:43   #2
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
SAIGAs are factory guns that came in as non-assault weapons and were retrofitted here. So all should be matching barrel/trunion/bolt/carrier. Depending on when it came in is how much conversion is required. Early ones were complete rebuild due to funky handguards and dimples instead of pins. Late ones came in with front ends essentially AKM and only needed the back end conversion.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2012, 13:16   #3
mpnv
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I've seen adds for Century Arms converted Sagia's. Are these as hit or miss as the rest of their AK's?
Old October 31, 2012, 19:24   #4
cbr954fz1
Registered

FALaholic #: 35401
The russians still built them its just that century converted the rifle back to pistol grip configuration...they're easy to convert yourself..cbr

cbr954fz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2012, 23:51   #5
Scuzzm0nkey
Registered

FALaholic #: 67819
I think the Saiga is the best route to go, but mod it yourself. You can snag a vanilla one for $350-$400 depending on your locality. I got mine at a gunshow and got the bits and pieces over time. Dinzag arms is a great place to get your parts and they also can clear up a lot of questions for you.
http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x...ga_762x39.html
I did mine myself and it was not only fun but educational. If you have a dremel tool and steady enough hands it's fairly simple and you will learn your rifle inside out. Plus, when you get a Saiga you are essentially buying a 100% Russian, Izhmash made AK which is far superior to any cut and rebuilt WASR-10s or MAK-90s you can scrape up on gunbroker. Here's mine, before and after:

Carolina Shooter's Supply also sells pretty much everything you need and has some very informative videos. Trust me, you can't go wrong doing it yourself and you will be much more pleased with the final result.
Scuzzm0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2012, 09:36   #6
mpnv
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanks guys for the info. Converting one seems the way to go!
Old November 15, 2012, 09:53   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
it is the way to go if you are doing all the work yourself and your time has no value, or if you are satisfied with a minimalist approach that leaves the front end mostly stock.

If you want it to actually look like an AK it will cost you more to convert it than to buy one in regular ak configuration - economy of scale.

I for one am not satisfied with ground off bayonet mounts and a handguard supports attached with a machine screws. So For me everything has to come off the barrel to do it right and with dimpled barrel componants, that's a lot of welding and soldering to repair (or replace) the barrel components.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2012, 15:14   #8
Methane
Registered

FALaholic #: 54848
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnv View Post
I am thinking about getting a converted Saiga AK in 7.62x39. Unfortunatly, none of the local shops have one to look at. Does anyone know if they are number matching? What is the general opinion on these?
I realize this doesn't answer your original question, but I thought you maybe interested in this. > http://x-ringsupply.com/LongGunsAK.html

Arsenal (Added 11/9/12)
Model: SAM7
Caliber/Gauge: 7.63x39
Action: Semi
Finish: Matte
Inventory #: 4569
Additional Info: Milled Receiver
Price: $995
Methane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012, 09:40   #9
mpnv
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the link!
Old November 16, 2012, 20:43   #10
mpnv
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I drove up to X Ring Supply, and I must say the guys in the store are very helpfull and customer oriented. I looked at the SAM7 Arsenal. My first impression was it did not feel any heavier than a Yugo underfolder. I was not impressed by the finish on the rifle. I was also disappointed that the only part that was number matching to the receiver was the bolt. The other parts were not numbered. I did not remove the gas tube to see if it was or was not marked. I did see an Arsenal Saiga. I liked it alot, unfortunately it was not in 7.62x39. This store has a good selection of AK's in stock. I got to look at unconverted Saiga's. I agree with Mark (Gunplumber) that it is going to be more cost effective to buy one allready converted. If anyone is passing thru Newark DE via I95, stop by this place.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:00   #11
woodstock31
Registered

FALaholic #: 67795
Are you aware of any tutorials or how to cd's that are available? Nice job on yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzm0nkey View Post
I think the Saiga is the best route to go, but mod it yourself. You can snag a vanilla one for $350-$400 depending on your locality. I got mine at a gunshow and got the bits and pieces over time. Dinzag arms is a great place to get your parts and they also can clear up a lot of questions for you.
http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x...ga_762x39.html
I did mine myself and it was not only fun but educational. If you have a dremel tool and steady enough hands it's fairly simple and you will learn your rifle inside out. Plus, when you get a Saiga you are essentially buying a 100% Russian, Izhmash made AK which is far superior to any cut and rebuilt WASR-10s or MAK-90s you can scrape up on gunbroker. Here's mine, before and after:
Carolina Shooter's Supply also sells pretty much everything you need and has some very informative videos. Trust me, you can't go wrong doing it yourself and you will be much more pleased with the final result.
woodstock31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 15:51   #12
cbr954fz1
Registered

FALaholic #: 35401
go to Carolina Shooter's Supply..they have videos on how to convert your saiga..
cbr954fz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 14:51   #13
stitcher
Registered

FALaholic #: 65879
Any thoughts on the 308 model, looking for a lower priced 308 option if an FAL build would be a stretch for me.
stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 17:30   #14
gobbler
Registered

FALaholic #: 44154
The .308s are great as far as AKs go......just don't expect the accuaracy of an FAL. Get on the Saiga Forum.......loads of conversion info there. The only thing on converting a .308 is you need to buy the Redstar Veper (Cope's has them) trigger group and get a E. German safety selector lever(Northridge has these ) . Using regular G2 trigger sets and the factory selector is an accident waiting to happen.......you have to modify the selector or or the hammer will fall when you release the safety. The East German AK selectors are wider & with the Veper trigger......you get a total contact with no play. BTW........with the conversion parts & the Saiga purchase.......you are still in the FAL build range

gobbler
gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 17:36   #15
stitcher
Registered

FALaholic #: 65879
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbler View Post
The .308s are great as far as AKs go......just don't expect the accuaracy of an FAL. Get on the Saiga Forum.......loads of conversion info there. The only thing on converting a .308 is you need to buy the Redstar Veper (Cope's has them) trigger group and get a E. German safety selector lever(Northridge has these ) . Using regular G2 trigger sets and the factory selector is an accident waiting to happen.......you have to modify the selector or or the hammer will fall when you release the safety. The East German AK selectors are wider & with the Veper trigger......you get a total contact with no play. BTW........with the conversion parts & the Saiga purchase.......you are still in the FAL build range

gobbler
Well then, enough said!
stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 23:50   #16
D.A.C.
Registered

FALaholic #: 30610
Also with the .308 there are no really really good milspec type magazines available. The 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 Saigas make great AKs with a little work though....especially if you can TIG/MIG weld the holes up.
D.A.C. is offline   Reply With Quote