The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old August 12, 2017, 16:11   #1
Vulcanator
Registered

FALaholic #: 76076
Hey DSA, fix your receivers!

For those in doubt of DSA's quality control issues on their receivers lately please watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg9Z...ature=youtu.be
Vulcanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 18:39   #2
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
It is almost as if Obama and his ATF, ordered Coonan and DSA to build guns that could not be used, as part of his "under the radar" program to hit the gun community.
Do not comply and build junk...then Be audited and put out of business.

Now if this begins to happen to the AR receivers........... or other kit firearms receivers...........

I am not that paranoid about bureaucrazy, but I am concerned enough that this began back a while, just after Sandy Hook.
It begs credulity that the computer program could not be tweeked to fix this..... or to actually institute this to frustrate gun builders.

Remember ITAR?
The attempted lead and ammo bans?
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 18:55   #3
AspektZA
Registered

FALaholic #: 76416
Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
It is almost as if Obama and his ATF, ordered Coonan and DSA to build guns that could not be used, as part of his "under the radar" program to hit the gun community.
Do not comply and build junk...then Be audited and put out of business.

Now if this begins to happen to the AR receivers........... or other kit firearms receivers...........

I am not that paranoid about bureaucrazy, but I am concerned enough that this began back a while, just after Sandy Hook.
It begs credulity that the computer program could not be tweeked to fix this..... or to actually institute this to frustrate gun builders.

Remember ITAR?
The attempted lead and ammo bans?
It's very clearly a Republicant conspiracy dreamed up by Daddy Bush (1989) to protect Big Firearms like the idiots at Remington, Winchester, Ruger, etc.
AspektZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 21:01   #4
skinnydash
Registered

FALaholic #: 79317
LOL....even a DSA mag has issues in their own receivers. How clear does Mark have to make it? IF DSA can't see it/correct it, then they are deliberately ignoring an issue.
skinnydash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 23:09   #5
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
On purpose..............

Of course Century Arms was not in on the plot long ago, they just did not produce a well crafted product.

BUT it may have given Obama the whole idea to order sabotage by the ATF, onto Coonan and DSA, from their banks. Obama hated the Files, you know; with an epidemic of misfiring, unreliable FAL guns, it is his joke on us.

Obama tried to get the banks to stop working with gunshops and mfg's elsewhere and gave us ITAR.
ItAR makes it illegal to fix the defective receivers.

If there is a problem in the firearms arena, than Obama caused it.............2009-2017, It is all Obama and his deep state machinations.
Occams razor--the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Coonan and DSA, could in one hour, correct all the defects in the programs............but they won't. Why?
Hell there are programers here who could do it. It is not the where or how, but the why....and that adds up to government interference because it is too dangerous to have FAL's working out there.

Last edited by V guy; August 13, 2017 at 12:30.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017, 08:36   #6
2barearms
Black Rifles Matter
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
So now it's the angry beavers vs the drunk monkeys......

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017, 09:23   #7
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
Fal Manufactures

2barearms,
So now it's the angry beavers vs the drunk monkeys......

I love it.
Old August 15, 2017, 12:27   #8
klaus486
Registered

FALaholic #: 75880
The problems in the video posted are EXACTLY what my DSA Voyager did right out of the box. I had better luck with DSA mags but not one single milsurp mag fit. Gunplumber fixed her up and now she runs like a champ.
klaus486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 12:53   #9
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus486 View Post
The problems in the video posted are EXACTLY what my DSA Voyager did right out of the box. I had better luck with DSA mags but not one single milsurp mag fit. Gunplumber fixed her up and now she runs like a champ.

Well this isn't good I better check the SA58 I just bought. If there was a problem with it I hope the previous owner sent it back and have it fixed.

Mark
oleblu72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 13:46   #10
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Now I wish I had some surplus mags to try in my Tac Carbine. All I have are DSA 20, 25, and 30 rounders (2 30's won't allow the bolt to go into battery from lip friction on the cartridge. Both have grind marks on the lips where a factory tech messed with them, but still don't work) as well as a bunch of moses mags. All of those had to be cut to fit in both the locking tab and left feed lip to allow the bolt to drop and lock. MMW, when communication was still open, walked me through the process and said it was a known issue that nearly 3/4 of DSA receivers had.

So out of the 18 mags I have, only 6 worked without modification, a 67% failure rate. Not from the problem listed above, but still inoperable. Yes....its just a sample size of two manufacturers.....but still...

DSA26XXX serial range BTW. So earlier than the one in the video. Purchased in 2013.

Last edited by fuel fire desire; August 15, 2017 at 15:17.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 17:46   #11
falbuild
Registered

FALaholic #: 78671
simplest explanation

The real explanation is simply lack of pride in their work. DSA & Coonan does not think there is much of a market in FAL receivers & since they don't have in-house cnc programming expertise, they're just not going to bother fixing the errors. Nothing to do with any Obama conspiracy.
falbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 18:09   #12
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus486 View Post
He has a secret deal with them that they screw stuff up so he gets more business.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 21:59   #13
K-fal58
Registered

FALaholic #: 72037
Really Swohfal. The man is trying to prove a point. This has been a long time coming since Dsa started making there in house receivers. I am confident that Mark can speak for me and others who have had problems with these receivers. He has a lot of valuable experience and if Mark wants to send a message since in my opinion he is one of the best of Us then let the man send it. Great job Mark.

Last edited by K-fal58; August 17, 2017 at 04:16.
K-fal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 22:01   #14
old_spambo
Registered

FALaholic #: 75387
Years ago when I bought a STG-58 from DSA, I was happy with their
products. No now. The guide rod from my Para broke after 300 rounds
and now the lever on the gas plug assembly flew off when firing.

Spambo
old_spambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017, 13:37   #15
Dean762
Registered

FALaholic #: 79471
I have DSA derangement syndrome from dealing with their garbage products. Bought 2 receivers from them a few months ago. Both defective. Bolt over base, mag well problems and wouldn't feed from the left side. They are currently being worked on by a fellow board member and FAL smith.

Thanks a lot DSA.
Dean762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017, 14:43   #16
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Just wait for the Brit cut L1A1 receiver video - it's not going well.
Old August 16, 2017, 15:19   #17
Herr Walther
Registered

FALaholic #: 11681
Imbel is the only way to build an FAL or StG.58.

I can build a better rifle than DSA.
Old August 16, 2017, 16:15   #18
Dean762
Registered

FALaholic #: 79471
The worst part of it is that DSA just plain doesn't give a shit. There is really no other explanation for it.
Dean762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017, 16:58   #19
littleleft
Registered

FALaholic #: 11542
so, no good manufactures of receivers left? hopefully, they will fix this.
littleleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017, 17:04   #20
squid8286
Registered

FALaholic #: 7276
That just sucks. I have three rifles built on the old LMT receivers, and the things run perfectly. I know that DSA is making their own receivers now, but what the hell happened that their stuff turned to shit? Can somebody explain why they stopped production with LMT? Is it that the market is shrinking for FAL related parts?
squid8286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017, 22:22   #21
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
DSA Production

Reason DSA stopped production with LMT was the fact they were able to start building receivers in house and supposedly save money and control their over all number of how many receivers they needed for that month.Once I found out that the owner told me that he was going to in house production, I stopped buying from DSA once the owner told me that.
Old August 16, 2017, 22:54   #22
preston1026
Go Seminoles!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 38005
I think they could make the receivers more like the lmt but then there would be fitting issues with the barrels as surplus are long gone
preston1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017, 23:59   #23
squid8286
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Carpentieri View Post
Reason DSA stopped production with LMT was the fact they were able to start building receivers in house and supposedly save money and control their over all number of how many receivers they needed for that month.Once I found out that the owner told me that he was going to in house production, I stopped buying from DSA once the owner told me that.

I hate to hear that. Thanks for the explanation.
Old August 17, 2017, 00:02   #24
squid8286
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston1026 View Post
I think they could make the receivers more like the lmt but then there would be fitting issues with the barrels as surplus are long gone

Not an expert machinist by any means, but it makes me wonder what about their in-house barrels was so different from Mil-Surp ones? I have never owned an FAL with a DSA barrel on it, so I don't know.
Old August 17, 2017, 06:48   #25
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid8286 View Post
Not an expert machinist by any means, but it makes me wonder what about their in-house barrels was so different from Mil-Surp ones? I have never owned an FAL with a DSA barrel on it, so I don't know.
They made a bunch of barrels that over-timed. Dave would have lost a lot of money on it if he was honest and admitted the barrels were defective. Heck, he could have included a .006" shim with it and sold it for a slight discount, keeping the receivers correct. Instead, Dave's like "hey, let me have the receivers made to under-time, so I can save these barrels." For DSA builds, an under-timed receiver and an over-timed barrel "worked".

But then he decided "f-ck my stupid customers, I'll not just pair these in house, I'll also sell the defective barrels and the defective receivers individually, without revealing the defects of either." And so he did.

And then I get them in for builds (along with others) and post about their defects. And then R1shooter (DSA's paid whore) comes on with lie after lie trying to malign me for pointing out the specific defects. The worst of which was claiming "FN Has no timing spec". So I post the blueprints calling out the timing at the 7th cline, showing once again what a lying piece of shit he is.

And the beat goes on.

It's the Chicago Way.
Old August 17, 2017, 07:36   #26
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
I believe it would be helpful to be more specific on which barrels were over timed. Here is my DSA inch barrel which times about 10 o'clock.

Old August 17, 2017, 07:49   #27
squid8286
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
They made a bunch of barrels that over-timed. Dave would have lost a lot of money on it if he was honest and admitted the barrels were defective. Heck, he could have included a .006" shim with it and sold it for a slight discount, keeping the receivers correct. Instead, Dave's like "hey, let me have the receivers made to under-time, so I can save these barrels." For DSA builds, an under-timed receiver and an over-timed barrel "worked".

But then he decided "f-ck my stupid customers, I'll not just pair these in house, I'll also sell the defective barrels and the defective receivers individually, without revealing the defects of either." And so he did.

And then I get them in for builds (along with others) and post about their defects. And then R1shooter (DSA's paid whore) comes on with lie after lie trying to malign me for pointing out the specific defects. The worst of which was claiming "FN Has no timing spec". So I post the blueprints calling out the timing at the 7th cline, showing once again what a lying piece of shit he is.

And the beat goes on.

It's the Chicago Way.
Pretty shitty way to run a business. Thanks for the explanation.
Old August 17, 2017, 07:49   #28
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
I don't recall any issues with the DSA G1 barrels other than I thought they were over priced. They did sell out quickly.
The only issue I found with the DSA inch barrels was the sling swivel stop was cut incorrectly which was not a big deal to me and I had to cut the pin channels & drill the gas port. These barrels were sold at $90 each and sold out.
Old August 17, 2017, 07:51   #29
squid8286
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
I believe it would be helpful to be more specific on which barrels were over timed. Here is my DSA inch barrel which times about 10 o'clock.

Is that a DSA-produced receiver?
Old August 17, 2017, 07:59   #30
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Is that a DSA-produced receiver?
Yes it is. The barrel is over 10 years old and the receiver is new.
Old August 17, 2017, 08:06   #31
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Guess I am lucky, my last three DSA metric receivers took just a kiss off barrel shoulder on lathe to time correctly. All timed between 6 and 7 o'clock and didn't want to try and wrench on barrel hard enough to get timed. Basically squaring shoulder of barrel and they lined up perfect with small pipe on wrench instead of big pipe. Not set into the last pair of inch so may be a hater before they are done. DSA SPR shoots well with metric mags but learned DSA mags are designed to be removed from box and sold online to buy surplus military replacements. Been happy with their AR parts but that's a whole different animal.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017, 10:58   #32
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Guess I am lucky, my last three DSA metric receivers took just a kiss off barrel shoulder on lathe to time correctly. All timed between 6 and 7 o'clock and didn't want to try and wrench on barrel hard enough to get timed. Basically squaring shoulder of barrel and they lined up perfect with small pipe on wrench instead of big pipe. Not set into the last pair of inch so may be a hater before they are done. DSA SPR shoots well with metric mags but learned DSA mags are designed to be removed from box and sold online to buy surplus military replacements. Been happy with their AR parts but that's a whole different animal.
interesting.
Old August 17, 2017, 11:21   #33
fanofthefal
Registered

FALaholic #: 79919
I have to say I'm feeling better and better about my choice of purchasing an Imbel receiver and shipping it off to Mark to build into a rifle in lieu of purchasing a DSA FAL.

While it sounds like upper receivers and magazines are no go areas as far as DSA is concerned is there anything that they currently manufacture and/or sell that there's any kind of consensus are good quality products?

Last edited by fanofthefal; August 17, 2017 at 11:35.
fanofthefal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017, 20:09   #34
Ronin6.8
Registered

FALaholic #: 79882
Finally had time to look at my DSArms type 1, and survey says... Ship it back!
The lower pin hole in the extracted block is missed drilled! Can't even install the mag release screw
So... I'm not sure if a mag will even fit!!!
Ronin6.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017, 21:56   #35
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Selvaggio is a liar. There's no fixing that.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017, 22:08   #36
olddominion
Registered

FALaholic #: 63474
6 and 7 o'clock??
olddominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017, 23:38   #37
adamweinerog
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 4362
Thanks for making the video Mark! Sad
Old August 18, 2017, 07:24   #38
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Selvaggio is a liar. There's no fixing that.
For my edification what did DSA owner Selvaggio lie to you about?
Old August 18, 2017, 07:33   #39
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddominion View Post
6 and 7 o'clock??
6-9 o'clock is common with several types of DSA metric receivers on metric barrels. It is also common with some other type of receivers depending on the metric barrel used.
Old August 18, 2017, 09:16   #40
fal fiend
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7091
my new g1 chrome lined barrel over time on a new dsa type 1 as well/ was like .007 shim to fix it.
Old August 18, 2017, 10:26   #41
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
6-9 o'clock is common with several types of defective DSA metric receivers using in-spec metric barrels.
FIFY
Old August 18, 2017, 13:15   #42
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

L1A1 receivers

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418209
Old August 18, 2017, 16:18   #43
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:
He lied to everyone saying that his receivers are in spec. To much proof from a number of sources to say other wise.
Old August 18, 2017, 16:59   #44
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Quote:

Your right side front site ear is badly bent.
garandguy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2017, 17:53   #45
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

And what breeching washer?

When I evaluated these 7 L1A1 receivers yesterday, I used an L1A1 barrel stub with a breeching washer that would hand time to 10:30 (golden triangle) on two different Enfield receivers and a Lithgow. I then used that stub & washer as the standard and checked each of the other receivers. All but one aligned the same (which is good). The final one hand timed to slightly past 12:00. Which is disturbing because there should be no difference at all, on receivers machined by computer controlled equipment. I won't know 'till I barrel it on Monday if it is outside the range of available breeching washers.

DakTo has a habit of posting irrelevant photos and pretending they support some assertion (like his assurance that "mags fit" with no mag catch installed!).

Last edited by gunplumber; August 18, 2017 at 17:59.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2017, 18:51   #46
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Ignorant people make me sad..

I'm saying ignorant because I really want to believe you're not that stupid...
Old August 18, 2017, 18:53   #47
OLDMANPBK
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
I don't know if you could call any of this "lying", but some of it seems kinda "far fetched" given their current problems.

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (23.5 KB, 298 views)

COBC #4
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2017, 18:54   #48
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandguy10 View Post
Your right side front site ear is badly bent.
That picture speaks volumes about typical DSA Quality, don't it...
Old August 18, 2017, 21:09   #49
olddominion
Registered

FALaholic #: 63474
Quote:
6-9 o'clock is common with several types of DSA metric receivers on metric barrels. It is also common with some other type of receivers depending on the metric barrel used.
I have used only 3 DSA receivers and all surplus barrels timed between 10:00

and 11:00 o'clock. Guess I'm just lucky.
olddominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2017, 08:01   #50
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Ignorant people make me sad..

I'm saying ignorant because I really want to believe you're not that stupid...
Perhaps you wish to share your personal experiences with Dave Selvaggio for us? Or do you just rely on hearsay?
I have had dealings with DS Arms since the mid 1980's when they only sold FAL surplus and imported receivers in Shotgun News. Once they saw the FAL surplus market drying up they continued in the manufacturing business and have out lasted every domestic competitor on a continued basis.

Needless to say you are a historic DSA hater around here and you arms must be too short to reach that itch.