The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old July 05, 2017, 19:12   #1
RomanLeaderII
Registered

FALaholic #: 67198
Federal Aluminum Cased Ammo in a Glock

Does anyone have a problem with their Glock's reliability, when using Federal Aluminum Cased 9MM Ammo?
RomanLeaderII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2017, 21:05   #2
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Heck, I wasn't aware Federal even made such a critter...

I don't shoot much factory ammo, but I'm curious too.
Old July 05, 2017, 21:32   #3
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
I'm sure that it's really just CCI Blazer since Federal and CCI are parts of the same 'company.'

As I remember it, I think that many cautioned against aluminum cased ammo in the earlier Glock 40s (because of the 'poor' chamber support underneath).

I shoot both 9x19mm Glocks and .45ACP Glocks, but no 40s. Having said that, I don't use aluminum cased ammo either, so don't have any stories to tell about it in Glocks.

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2017, 21:42   #4
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
A quick Google search yielded the consensus that Aluminum cased ammo is just fine in Glocks.

It must be true if it's on the internet...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 06, 2017, 22:28   #5
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Hmm, Better ASK GLOCK.

If Glock doesn't know, Then be damn careful, experiment at your own risk.

I have seen some alu-minium cases at places I go to shoot now and remember
seeing cases in Alaska in the 80's, it was then I thought it might get popular, moved back to lower 48 and thought it was a passing thing.

My Old one-- If in doubt, leave it out.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2017, 05:05   #6
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
I dont have a problem with aluminum cases in any of several pistols and calibers. As an experiment I reloaded 45 acp cases, firing them in a 1911 and they would make about 5 loadings before the case mouth split. Ymmv
Old July 07, 2017, 06:43   #7
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig220 View Post
I dont have a problem with aluminum cases in any of several pistols and calibers. As an experiment I reloaded 45 acp cases, firing them in a 1911 and they would make about 5 loadings before the case mouth split. Ymmv
You are the first person I've ever heard reloading Al cases; I've been always told they were one use only.
Old July 07, 2017, 07:44   #8
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
Walmart has brass cased federal for $19/100 - why bother shooting aluminum or steel?
Old July 07, 2017, 10:57   #9
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I've always had luck with aluminum case ammo in Glocks.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2017, 14:26   #10
Sig220
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
You are the first person I've ever heard reloading Al cases; I've been always told they were one use only.
I had no need as I have plenty of brass to reload, just tried it to see if I could and how long it would last. The 9mm and 380 aluminum cases are handy as I dont have a need to find the expended cases. They size easily as well, just the necks give way quicker then brass. I guess I should stste this was a light/target loading...no max loads for sure!
Old July 09, 2017, 00:39   #11
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Quote:
Mileage does indeed vary.

The 45s may split earlier than that depending on the chamber.

The 9s work tolerably well though. The indication to me that they were approaching 'do not reuse' status was soot appearing at the lip of the primer pocket and, yes, about five firings is when that started to happen.

They do run through the size die like butter though. And a pack 100 rounds feels considerably lighter than a 100 rounds loaded in brass.

Again, interesting research.
Old July 10, 2017, 17:44   #12
Bladewurk
Registered

FALaholic #: 12195
9mm Fed/CCI Blazer Aluminum case

I have never had a problem in my Glocks, however a buddy had the bullet stick when "press checking" and it dumped powder in his action. Of course it had to be cleared with a Squib rod and cleaned. However he rarely (never?)cleans his Glock.. He also reported Stovepipes during a class.

I had an Aluminum case head separate and damage my 9mm AR15 conversion block, and it was difficult to clear. I went to a forged lower and use Brass case if its close in price, which it is now!
Old July 10, 2017, 18:43   #13
Wildcat
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladewurk View Post
I have never had a problem in my Glocks, however a buddy had the bullet stick when "press checking" and it dumped powder in his action. Of course it had to be cleared with a Squib rod and cleaned. However he rarely (never?)cleans his Glock.. He also reported Stovepipes during a class.

I had an Aluminum case head separate and damage my 9mm AR15 conversion block, and it was difficult to clear. I went to a forged lower and use Brass case if its close in price, which it is now!
Good point! Any of the blowback operated carbines put a lot more stress on the case than a gun that uses a locked breech.

My AR 9mm doesn't like the reloaded aluminum cased stuff. Too much friction for the way my carbine is set-up. The gun gets sluggish pretty quickly.
I had no case head separations and the recovered shells don't show bulges at all - but my gun doesn't like the stuff.

Also on that note: I sure wouldn't put any (new or used) aluminum case ammo into an H&K fluted chamber.
Old July 16, 2017, 20:20   #14
sirspyair
Registered

FALaholic #: 79874
Location: Santa Cruz CA - Research reference and practical knowledge gathering
Quote:
Must've yielded a good result.
sirspyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2017, 12:40   #15
Tactical Baron
Registered

FALaholic #: 79895
I've shoot some of the Federal Aluminum stuff in the past, runs fine, but for not that much more you can get brass; this is nice if you're cautious about using steel or aluminum.

Also this is definitely the first I've heard of someone reloading aluminum cases. I'll have to make sure to pass this knowledge on to some of the loaders I know.
Tactical Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017, 07:34   #16
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
I have heard that you can get on average 2 to 3 reloads out of those, and those few guys that reload them, stick to lighter loads for target practice.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017, 08:26   #17
Sig220
Registered

I reload 9mm and have done quite a few in aluminum without a problem.

It is not common that I reload them more then once, as I don't bother to
pick them up unless they are in the "clear and open" areas. The .45 was a test to satisfy my own curiosity as to how long they would hold up.

It is very noticeable in the reloading of aluminum....just how light the cases are, btw.

Just so no one is confused by my posts all my reloading was done with boxer primed cases. Don't think I have the patience to de-prime the berdan cases.
Old July 30, 2017, 23:26   #18
Wildcat
Registered

I didn't reload any shells that were at all bent when I found them. Regular brass is salvageable with a minor ding but I'm less confident in the aluminum.
It seems that people still do have the old berdan primed cases in their closets so if you pick up 9s they need to be checked.

The boxer primed 45s are small primer. CCIs berdan primed 45s were large primer.

I also found some 38 spl. starting to be boxer primed and tried them with success, though a few of them split too. The mouth of those cases was not well formed.
Old August 02, 2017, 11:43   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I didn't reload any shells that were at all bent when I found them. Regular brass is salvageable with a minor ding but I'm less confident in the aluminum.
It seems that people still do have the old berdan primed cases in their closets so if you pick up 9s they need to be checked.

The boxer primed 45s are small primer. CCIs berdan primed 45s were large primer.

I also found some 38 spl. starting to be boxer primed and tried them with success, though a few of them split too. The mouth of those cases was not well formed.
I don't own a Glock but have reloaded my fair share of Berdan brass, Berdan steel and aluminum pistol cases. Before the local indoor range closed next door neighbor worked there and every week would find a bucket of mixed steel and aluminum cases they were throwing away as their commercial reloaders didn't take them and it was a money losing proposition to drive them to scrap yard if figured time and fuel. Only steel never reloaded was 5.56. Have loaded more steel 7.62×39 with 160 grain cast than can count. It and all of the Berdan brass in 7.62×51 are used in areas where not alowed or able to police up your brass.

Out of curiosity had to try reloading aluminum cases. First attempt was using 38 special with 3.3 grains of Bullseye over 140 grain full wadcutters. Three to six cycles before neck split or primers began backing out, at times both happened at same time or whill loading. Then moved into 380 and 9mm. Most loadings have gotten out of 9mm is three but loaded hot enough to cycle slides reliably and many were lost. Majority of 380's were never run a second time as not worth the effort to pick the tiny things up though the M11's, AMT's and Walthers all functioned with them. In 45 ran through my normal set up using 200 grain SWC's over Unique at major power factor (never adjust the 45 acp Dillion) and two loadings were maximum average with case mouth splitting when loading third trip through the machine, not in my snug chambers. I would be hesitant about shooting aluminum through Gen 1 through Gen 3 Glocks unsupported chambers if owned one but would not be terribly afraid of a late model Glock or early with aftermarket barrel. No way would shoot steel in any rifles with fluted chambers just out of self preservation seeing what my H&K's and on down to 22 magnum fluted chambers do to brass cases.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2017, 23:47   #20
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Fluting was originally to Aid Extraction.

As the Gasses from Blow back actions were THE reason that fluting helped Blow the casing out of the gun and also the Barrels cool a little better, roller lock rifles were the first I think to get fluted, I don't care for the fluted ANYTHING.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 06, 2017, 09:40   #21
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Realize that and except to round out a battle rifle collection one kind of needs an H&K or two. When Keltec released the PMR-30 it had a fluted chamber and hoping for a reliable out of the box version of my Grendel P30 (went through heck getting that thing to run reliably but 30 rounds of 22 magnum with another 30 in a single spare magazine makes for a pocket full of hurt) put one in the pile which had problems but free factory fix turned out to be replacing the fluted chamber with a standard chamber which suited me. Fluted chambers are not my favorite thing either due to extra stress on cases if reload though lately been getting enough loadings out of my H&K cases to not complain terribly. Given the choice, would prefer no fluted chambers.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 08, 2017, 12:53   #22
PASHOOTER
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20032
I have fired a couple thousand rounds through my Glock 19 with no trouble. Shoots good enough I use it in IDPA matchs.
actions of a few lunatics”
PASHOOTER is online now   Reply With Quote