C39V2 AK - Ticking Time Bomb?

Interesting... Typical Century...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJB9x2IPx8Q
LKY_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018, 06:55   #2
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
2 sides of the coin on the argument. Yes, it is sad that an American comapines like Century and IO still struggle to do something that Comblock countries like Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, and Romania did for decades without the same problems. Can't cheap out on materials and not do your homework from an engineering perspective and expect to have a reliable gun. The other side of the coin is that nothing lives for ever. If your goal is to have a gun that you are expecting to be engaged in combat with that is one thing. Century is catering to a crowd that can afford a $600 AK to bring to the range to shoot. You can't beat the piss out of something by dumping mag after mag with the goal of seeing what breaks and be dissapointed. I'm sure there are comblock AKs that had issues, went to the armorer, and went back into the field. All that being said, plenty of alternatives to Century and IO Aks out there....including rolling one of your own from parts that work.
Old January 23, 2018, 07:29   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
it "almost failes"

But how can that be, when SAR got all wet and slippery over it?

Actually, all three of them show their ignorance - unless I missed it - I watched it on fast forward

What gauge are they using? Sorry, but "go" and "no go" don't help much. There is a different 7.62 gauge for a rotational lock versus a cam lock. And the specifications are in kgf. Using a commercial SAAMI gauge doesn't mean shit. SAAMI is a private club of gun and ammo manufacturers, who got together and said "we want all our ammo to fit all our guns, so these are our specs". Mr Kalashnikov wasn't at the meeting. Neither was Dieudonné Saive, for that matter, which is why a serviceable FAL can still close on a .308 SAAMI Field. My Chinese gauges are different than my East German and Finnish Gauges, all of which are different than SAAMI. Oh, the European version is CIP, and guess what - those are different too.

It's not a pass for CAI. The gun should be nowhere near a FIELD after only 1000 rds. But their method of measuring is not very professional, accurate, or repeatable. Wear in the bolt carrier cam channel and corresponding cam lug, can allow the carrier to move forward slightly without changing the bolt to trunion relationship.

Last edited by gunplumber; January 23, 2018 at 07:48.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018, 09:18   #4
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I had a Golani (Galil clone). One of the coolest little rifles for the money I ever bought. Then I noticed the receiver lugs peening. No thanks.
Old January 24, 2018, 20:18   #5
michael_g927
Registered

FALaholic #: 31039
Interesting to watch all the youtube torture tests, many running 5000 rounds. The C39 shows the same break in marks as any of the other 100 million. I have noticed that the C39 always ending up winning over the tester.
michael_g927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018, 09:11   #6
JoeCorrado
Registered

FALaholic #: 79802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
I had a Golani (Galil clone). One of the coolest little rifles for the money I ever bought. Then I noticed the receiver lugs peening. No thanks.
I have one of these as well and I spent a lot of money to get it functioning properly. I'm upside down in it and now no one is buying anything that says Century on it. Go figure. Can't blame them though since I was burned on this deal I wouldn't either. Live and learn and now I research before purchasing a gun I know nothing about. Expensive lesson learned for sure.
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018, 09:16   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

not sure how any amount of money is going to address the incorrect locking recess dimensions and the dangerously defective heat treatment.
Old January 25, 2018, 13:20   #8
Impala_Guy
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado View Post
I have one of these as well and I spent a lot of money to get it functioning properly. I'm upside down in it and now no one is buying anything that says Century on it. Go figure. Can't blame them though since I was burned on this deal I wouldn't either. Live and learn and now I research before purchasing a gun I know nothing about. Expensive lesson learned for sure.
Supposedly the later cast receivers that Caspian made are good to go and most of the milled ORF receivers have suspect heat treatment and need to be monitored for locking lug peening. The bolt on mine appeared to be a real IMI Galil milsurp part. If you have one of the good rifles you still have a neat piece that cost $600 when they were plentiful. Real Galils are cool but not the $3500 of cool that the pre bans bring. Really should be a 7.62 x 39 rifle.
Old January 25, 2018, 13:20   #9
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Mark...is there a "best" domestic producer of milled AK receivers?
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018, 13:49   #10
hongkong3
Double G's Personal Troll

FALaholic #: 3565
There's a legal term called "MERCHANTABLE" and it states, salable and fit for the market: "the quality of being reasonably fit for the general purpose for which an article is manufactured and sold," 242N.W. 895, 896; having at least an average or ordinary quality, in light of the quality of the same or similar products produced previously or elsewhere. See U.C.C. 2-214

If I had purchased a Century C39 I would be looking into using the above to pressure Century into a full refund and or my CC bank into doing the same.
Lest we forget Gougered (gôôg • erd), German, adj. 1. Slang. Bilked: cheated. 2. To be deceived or tricked. 3. To be deprive of some right or something legally due. 4. Deliberate misleading or deluding, to produce misunderstanding or to prevent someone from knowing the truth 5. To be deceived by a stratagem, often of a petty, crafty, or dishonorable kind. ©
hongkong3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018, 16:04   #11
JoeCorrado
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Supposedly the later cast receivers that Caspian made are good to go and most of the milled ORF receivers have suspect heat treatment and need to be monitored for locking lug peening. The bolt on mine appeared to be a real IMI Galil milsurp part. If you have one of the good rifles you still have a neat piece that cost $600 when they were plentiful. Real Galils are cool but not the $3500 of cool that the pre bans bring. Really should be a 7.62 x 39 rifle.
I'm not sure what receiver mine has. Every time I look at it a look of pure disgust appears on my face. It cycles rounds now which is better than the stove piping and double feeding POS it was when I bought it at a gunshow a few years ago. It was NIB and I figured it was an AK variant and would run as reliably as any AK. (see the youthful ignorance I possessed back then?) Like I said, it was en expensive lesson learned. I traded a J frame Smith and $300 cash for it. About $250ish more for a gunsmith that said he built these things for Century before branching out on his and "fixed" it. Can't remember who exactly but he's up in the New England area IIRC. I've been trying to trade if off or sell it and it hasn't had much interest. Until another scare happens, I guess I'm stuck with it.
Old January 25, 2018, 19:45   #12
Impala_Guy
Registered

Google "Century Golani cast receiver"....you should be able to determine if it's a Caspian or ORF receiver. You may have a decent one. Gunplumber or another experienced ak guy may be able to fix any reliability issues
Old January 25, 2018, 22:43   #13
JoeCorrado
Registered

It's a Caspian receiver. Mine has the GLN prefix. Thanks for the heads up Impala_Guy!
Old January 26, 2018, 08:34   #14
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Usually you don't have to worry about a rifles built by drunk monkeys at Century because they either won't feed or extract a round.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018, 10:34   #15
JoeCorrado
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Usually you don't have to worry about a rifles built by drunk monkeys at Century because they either won't feed or extract a round.
Ha! Truth! However, they seem to have been able to get the C39 and RAS to shoot just long enough to be dangerous. Maybe not the initial buyer since most people don't shoot that often, but down the road after a couple of thousand rounds go through it, that owner might be in trouble. I'm just glad that word is spreading about their shit rifles and people will stay away from them. You get what you pay for. I would rather keep saving for something of quality than some pig with lipstick for cheap.
Old January 26, 2018, 13:57   #16
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
heat treatment of steel alloy components is a complex process that must be balanced with several other engineering concerns, in a fine balance. in my opinion, as a steel products quality auditor, this rifle demonstrates failure in process control, if not actually failure in process planning and engineering. i would assume that the reverse engineered replacement receiver is not as durable as the original arsenal produced receiver, which was designed and produced for a 200,000 round function life.

heat treatment of an irregularly shaped steel alloy component is a complex process. the variation in temperature ramping in variations of section and presentation will create hardness gradients that act as stress risers, resulting in point failure in cyclic loading. less than ideal machining profile, whatever it's cause, also causes point loading, with predictable result. preventing this from occurring is achieved by successful process planning, and an intended result of successful process control.

government funded development programs include prototype production and testing that generally results in a better product than can be economically produced by the average job-shop subcontractor.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2018, 08:49   #17
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

The AK bolt is like a screw. The lugs are not parallel. Even were it not for ORF dangerously defective heat treat, their parallel lugs only have 50% engagement. I have not worked with the Caspian. I will not work with the ORF
Old January 27, 2018, 14:03   #18
Texas Jaguar
Registered

FALaholic #: 6874
Century knows exactly what they are doing. The profit motive has surpassed the reliability and safety qualities in their priorities. They know damn few of their customers ever shoot 1000 rounds thru their guns much less 3500 or 5000. They also expect customers who do shoot that much to opt for higher priced higher quality firearms. They build the guns to age into the hands of follow on owners with no warranty when they fail. Planned obsolescence in action.
Texas Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018, 09:36   #19
michael_g927
Registered

I cant speak for Century AKs except the C39v2. I got to shoot it for thw 1st time yesterday. I only shot 200 rounds. As ecpected from a new rifle, it went flawless. Naturally when i got the rifle, i gave it a thorough cleaning and grease lube.
The action is very smooth. When the rifle fires, it is very solid feeling with a "dead thud like" recoil pulse.
There was an older gent out there with a brand new unfired IOAK. Very nice looking and feeling rifle as well. He asked me to shoot it, (i think he was scared of it). First shot was a hit on the 100 yard plate. Right up the center. I noticed the rifle had a "twangy" feel with a lot more resonance thru it during recoil pulse. Guess it would be right as it is not milled like my C39. He struggled with the rifle and gave up. I never saw that IO successfully fire two shots in a row.
Over all i am extreemly happy with tbe C39. Rifle shot straight up the center. No iron sight adhustments. No issues shooting Tulammo. Its group sizes were noticably better than my cherrished 7.62x39 AR. More testing to come.
Old January 29, 2018, 16:17   #20
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
No more Century nothing for this child

1999 century M1 Garand never could get a full embloc through it without 2 or 3 FTFs
Still didn't learn anything
2003 century Cetme the first one had the rear sight welded on so crooked it wouldn't zero at 25 yards on full starboard windage
The second one had straighter sights but the mag would just eject itself on the ground after 3 or 4 shots
The only thing I look at to buy from century anymore is parts kits
I don't think they sell them anymore either , I haven't bought anything from them in over a decade

Drunken monkeys pretty much sums it up
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018, 22:57   #21
JoeCorrado
Registered

No more Century guns for me either. No way would I give my hard earned money for another one of their POS rifles. Their imports are an entirely different story.

michael_g927 I would keep an eye on that C39. They've been well documented at not holding up.
Old January 30, 2018, 01:18   #22
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
This might kind of explain the new US barrels and demilled receiver stubs Apex had for sale last June
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2018, 10:11   #23
michael_g927
Registered

I am now at 280rds. The only reports i have seen were this one. Of course it comes 1 week AFTER i bought the V2. The only CAI rifle i ever personally owned was a FAL from the mid 90s. It was a good shooter and never had any problems. So considering this V2 was built by a shop completely seperate from Century, i felt safe.
So the question is this.... is this a bolt problem. Such as, the lug rear surfaces are not on the proper plane to engage both lugs? Or, are the reciever lugs not machined to correctly interface with the properly machined bolt?
If its a bolt issue, this can be remedied reasonably easily. If it is a reciever issue, its a death nail to this rifle.
I have been trying to call Century, but it seems as though even their employee directory is "NOT TAKING CALLS AT THIS TIME". I will try again.
I am very curious about the other rifles featured on other channels that have passed 5000 rounds. I hope they chime in.
Just tried again. No dice. Is this SHOT SHOW week?
Old February 01, 2018, 17:19   #24
Flatfour
Registered

FALaholic #: 75668
I was able to get ahold of them by email when dealing with them, they did a fairly good job getting back to me that way.
Flatfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2018, 21:45   #25
hongkong3
Double G's Personal Troll

FALaholic #: 3565
Great that they got back to you, what was the problem and how did they handle it?
Lest we forget Gougered (gôôg • erd), German, adj. 1. Slang. Bilked: cheated. 2. To be deceived or tricked. 3. To be deprive of some right or something legally due. 4. Deliberate misleading or deluding, to produce misunderstanding or to prevent someone from knowing the truth 5. To be deceived by a stratagem, often of a petty, crafty, or dishonorable kind. ©
hongkong3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2018, 10:20   #26
michael_g927
Registered

Still not a soul. Not even an Oompa Loompa! Sam at Apex told me that the C39 stubs and barrels they got a year and s half ago were cut after stress testing ( maybe fixing this problem), as well as things like crooked front sights.
Make me feel better if i could talk directly to Wes at Century.
Old February 05, 2018, 18:55   #27
Flatfour
Registered

FALaholic #: 75668
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongkong3 View Post
Great that they got back to you, what was the problem and how did they handle it?
It involved a C308. Rifle turned out to be not just a turd, but a dangerous turd. After a good wait, they replaced it. Communications with the service person via email was pretty good. I was patient and frankly didn't have high expectations.

Previously I had purchased a VZ2008; rifle runs great, but not long after getting it the folding hinge spring screw fell apart while shooting. I contacted them at the time, and they sent me a complete replacement stock.
Flatfour is offline   Reply With Quote