The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old January 21, 2018, 17:49   #1
Glucker
Registered

FALaholic #: 12384
WTK: Arsenal UF stability/durability?

Been thinking about one of Arsenal's milled underfolders. SAM7UF or something like that. Never really liked the underfolder, or folding stocks on rifles generally, but think it looks kind of cool, retro, and all that. I'm NOT interested in their side folder, although I'm sure it is probably functionally superior.

I'm wondering how they actually hold up? Arsenal says they use four pins, to secure the stock open (and closed I guess), as opposed to previous ones that maybe were less secure? Anybody have one and actually shoot it? Is it stable? Has it held up and remained functionally rigid with use?

Thanks for any info.
Old January 22, 2018, 11:43   #2
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
The guns themselve tend to hold up very well

I think over time most UF guns will get a little loser in the stock and wobble a bit ..But really not a big deal they still work fine ..I have a UF pre ban china that wobble a lot in the stock and worked just fine

One word of adive I have heard and will pass on ..Try before you buy UF stock are a aquired taste some like them other not at all ..They do make covers and risers for the UF stock but I would really try first ...
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018, 13:36   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I think the side folder AKS74 is far more rigid - better cheek weld. While underfolders cosmetically are kindof cool, from a practical standpoint, I'd pass.

And if you are not being a "purist", You might consider a Magpul Zhukov folder on a standard trunion gun. I am favorably impressed with them.

Milled receivers - if you want to know what one feels, like, just duct-tape a brick to a stamped receiver. They offer no advantage over stamped. They are not "more accurate" - they are only heavier.

If you like the classic underfolder, I'd look for a polish kit on a Nodak receiver. This one w/non-original furniture.

Old January 22, 2018, 14:11   #4
Glucker
Registered

Thanks gents. Have owned several milled receiver AKs, previous Bulgarians (SA 93, SLR 95, two SAM 7s with fixed stocks and currently own a SAM7K pistol) and a PolyTech Legend, and if nothing else prefer them over stamped receivers just because they seem almost indestructable. My SGL20s are both good shooters and would be my go to rifles if my .308s were unavailable, really looking at this one for more of the cool factor. Also because they're roughly the same money or even a little less than the same rifle with a fixed buttstock.
Back in the day I had a Norinco UF in .223 that was somewhat loose even when new, and was wondering whether the so-described four pin locking mechanism was a functional improvement over underfolders of old.
Mark I also like Magpul's AK stocks and may put one of their fixed ones on the SAM7 pistol if I ever SBR it.
Old January 22, 2018, 14:22   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
yes, the 4 pin AKMS style is superior to the 2 pin AKS. The Chinese type 84 stamped uses the receiver only, while Euro uses a plate from the rear trunion also - thicker engagement for the pins. Not sure it makes any difference on a milled receiver. But the AKS uses machined arms and the AKMS uses stamped arms with reinforcement plates riveted to it. I'm not sure the AKS 2 pin can even be made into a 4 pin as the axle is significantly different.
Old January 22, 2018, 14:43   #6
Glucker
Registered

Hmmm, interesting.
I will probably eventually buy one just because I have the itch. If I love it it will go on the keep-forever list, if not I can sell it one day and get my money back.
Or just buy one of their fixed stock stamped receivers with OD furniture, which is also calling to me....
Old January 24, 2018, 00:17   #7
Tat2
Registered

FALaholic #: 52329
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I think the side folder AKS74 is far more rigid - better cheek weld. While underfolders cosmetically are kindof cool, from a practical standpoint, I'd pass.

And if you are not being a "purist", You might consider a Magpul Zhukov folder on a standard trunion gun. I am favorably impressed with them.

Milled receivers - if you want to know what one feels, like, just duct-tape a brick to a stamped receiver. They offer no advantage over stamped. They are not "more accurate" - they are only heavier.

If you like the classic underfolder, I'd look for a polish kit on a Nodak receiver. This one w/non-original furniture.

I really wanted an UF too..... until I put a Zhukov folder on a rifle..... now UF want is much much less.....

T
Tat2 is online now   Reply With Quote