Notices

Old December 30, 2018, 18:28   #51
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
So who's the bot posting these threads that get everyone all outta sorts with rehashing this shit again? Inquiring minds ya know

Run whatcha brung and who cares
I do note this new member and BarnOwlLover who seem inclined to post such things in spades. I've been pondering an ulterior motive. Other than the "I'm an attention whore" category.
Old December 30, 2018, 18:47   #52
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
ROLF!

Yeah, I was popping a torso plate at 100 yards with my Gen 1 Glock 17 and iron sights. .....

I heard of a guy that does that with DA Smith N frames...........

And then this guy hitting 10 inch plates @ 100

Last edited by tdb59; December 30, 2018 at 18:52.
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2018, 19:01   #53
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Well, I have done 200 yards with an RMR.

1911 isn't bad either - kist line up elevation on base of front sight, then move across 'till target obscured, and press trigger.

I had trouble on the (6? or maybe 8") dueling plates at 25 yds with my Airweight .38, but pretty good at 15 yards. I just don't shoot that one as well.
Old December 30, 2018, 19:01   #54
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Exact same thread over on GlockTalk...

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/gl...story.1741754/

More at home there but dude is pretty much a troll.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns

Last edited by VALMET; December 30, 2018 at 19:46.
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2018, 19:02   #55
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Quote:
I do note this new member and BarnOwlLover who seem inclined to post such things in spades. I've been pondering an ulterior motive. Other than the "I'm an attention whore" category.
A new "Which AR" and a "Glocks are the Shizzle" thread on the "FAL" files within the first 5 posts. Nawwww..... Nothing curious about that. I've got my channel locks handy for those treble hooks. Just PM me
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2018, 19:48   #56
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2018, 19:49   #57
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Eeerrrr is glock a platform?
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2018, 19:56   #58
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgonoles View Post
Actually the Ď69 is not a T series. Serial number 69C

The very first handgun I bought was a 1969 HiPower (69C 195xx), bought at retail NIB in 1970.

I still have it, although I did send it to Armoloy of Fort Worth in 1975 to have it hard chromed. I still have the gun (is there an echo here...?)...

It's a great gun, but no where near as good as a combat handgun as the Glock 17... (while true, I imagine that'll also peak someone's blood pressure... )

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2018, 20:04   #59
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
The very first handgun I bought was a 1969 HiPower (69C 195xx), bought at retail NIB in 1970.

I still have it, although I did send it to Armoloy of Fort Worth in 1975 to have it hard chromed. I still have the gun (is there an echo here...?)...

It's a great gun, but no where near as good as a combat handgun as the Glock 17... (while true, I imagine that'll also peak someone's blood pressure... )

Forrest
Sadam Husien carried one of those too.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...332&ajaxhist=0
Old December 30, 2018, 20:42   #60
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I always find the folks that snort Glock or 1911 pixie dust to be hilarious.

There are lots of great to decent handguns out there these days, all have their flip sides.

I give Mr. Glock and his engineer a lot of credit for bringing something to the market that took things to the next level in development. They came up with something simple that works well and shoots minute of man at 10 yards. Can't fault them for that.

My Glock 17 is the least accurate pistol I own, but it works and I know if I pull it out of the box, load it and pull the trigger it will work. It's probably the main reason I keep it around.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2018, 21:23   #61
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Love 1911. Favor things made of steel and walnut. In late 40's determined the Glock was better choice for my needs. Why I made that decision is immaterial to others, but if one is emotionally invested in their preference then they are fools, regardless of what camp they are in.

Im a pious and noble creature for eschewing my biases and embracing an alternative. See how that works?
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2018, 21:44   #62
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
If I may but have one handgun....my heart tells me a C series BHP...my head tells me a Glock 17/19. Actually had more Glocks than BHPs over the years, started with a Gen1 (slick un-numbered frame) in the later 80s (my guess is 88 - but the pistol had been sitting around as a left over from the first imports here - BN prefix SN) through Gen 2 17 and 19 to Gen 3s. The Gen 3 still fits my paw better than any other so I have a 17A with a spare 34 top end here now. But the BHP still holds my heart...
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2018, 22:09   #63
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Sadam Husien carried one of those too.
I'm not quite sure what your point is...

Perhaps 'Saddam Hussein had good taste in guns too?' (forgetting, for a moment, his gold plated MP5 and AKM, of course, but I'm sure that goes without saying)...

Forrest
Old December 30, 2018, 22:40   #64
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what your point is...

Perhaps 'Saddam Hussein had good taste in guns too?' (forgetting, for a moment, his gold plated MP5 and AKM, of course, but I'm sure that goes without saying)...

Forrest
A mustache and a Highpower then you can rule Iraq. Never saw any of those guys carrying glocks. Ya they lost the war but went down in style, Highpower style.
Old December 30, 2018, 22:52   #65
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Glocks don't attract dust bunnies like Colts and BHP's.

Its that special stuff they force deep down into the metal parts and spray onto tha plastic.

No true gunman can be taken serious, with a large dust bunny hanging off the front sight.

So, Glocks win.

Old December 30, 2018, 23:09   #66
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Glocks don't attract dust bunnies like Colts and BHP's.

Its that special stuff they force deep down into the metal parts and spray onto tha plastic.

No true gunman can be taken serious, with a large dust bunny hanging off the front sight.

So, Glocks win.
I had an NAA .32 Auto. Carried it until I replaced it with a Keltec .32. It was my extreme NPC carry. Heck, I carried it to a military Dining In. And daily in thunderwear in corporate NPC environ. But one day at the range I decided to burn my carry ammo and replace it - something I do every year or so. If failed to fire. I stripped it and noted a pea sized ball of lint had collected and physically blocked the hammer. That threw me for a loop.

And yeah, I still love the BHP. But what the Glock lacks in elegance it makes up for in pure function. Like the AK47, it ain't sexy. But it works. And is idiot proof. But if it were not for the G17, I'd still be carrying the P35.. I switched to the Sig 226 for a while, and I appreciate it for what it is, but I never took t the double/single. And went back to the BHP. And then the Glock. And then the BHP sat in the safe for too long so I sold it and bought three more Glocks.
Old December 30, 2018, 23:42   #67
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I had an NAA .32 Auto. Carried it until I replaced it with a Keltec .32. It was my extreme NPC carry. Heck, I carried it to a military Dining In. And daily in thunderwear in corporate NPC environ. But one day at the range I decided to burn my carry ammo and replace it - something I do every year or so. If failed to fire. I stripped it and noted a pea sized ball of lint had collected and physically blocked the hammer. That threw me for a loop.

And yeah, I still love the BHP. But what the Glock lacks in elegance it makes up for in pure function. Like the AK47, it ain't sexy. But it works. And is idiot proof. But if it were not for the G17, I'd still be carrying the P35.. I switched to the Sig 226 for a while, and I appreciate it for what it is, but I never took t the double/single. And went back to the BHP. And then the Glock. And then the BHP sat in the safe for too long so I sold it and bought three more Glocks.

I do like my BHP's, all of them, as well as the 1911's, but sitting here, there is a Glock in each vehicle, one beside my chair, another couple, why two, no idea, under the coffee table, another "spare" one in my shoulder get home bag, and on and on.

Why?
Things just work.

Got to give a shout out to the Smith Shield though.
Thin, 9 rounds 9mm
Rides well with three spare mags in my notebook that goes to class with me weekly in the little zippered pouch.
Accurate, reliable, round always in the chamber.

Reliability in any handgun makes up for bells and whistles,,,,,,,, one hole groups.
Are Glocks ugly, yep, do they go bang, yep they do, damn near every time.

Old December 31, 2018, 00:00   #68
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I've got a BHP that I think was owned by a Frenchman.

Works great.

Only dropped once.

Which is OK I guess, because I gave it a doozy of an idiot-scratch while I was bashing the trigger axis-pin out to remove the magazine-disconnect.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018, 00:20   #69
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I'm still about the "double-action" autos because of the second-strike capability.

I worry excessively about out-of-battery misfires due to the target contacting the weapon.

All the striker-fired guns require two hands or some sort of ninja rack-slide-with-boot-heel maneuvers to bring the gun back into the fight after an out-of-battery misfire.

You only get one "click" with a Glock before you have to go ninja.
(Yes, I know if you push a Glock FAR ENOUGH out of battery, it won't click, and it still will fire when it eventually returns to normal battery.)

I also like the safety/decocker lever on the double-action autos. Not that I use it much. But, there it is if I want to use it.

Here is the primer-strike you get with an out-of-battery "click" with a Glock.

Old December 31, 2018, 00:31   #70
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I do have a way to jam a Glock. My G26 did not like the 10 round ban era G19 mags at all. I don't think I ever had it jam, except for those darn 10 rounders. Regular G19 mags work fine.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018, 02:43   #71
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
I'm still about the "double-action" autos because of the second-strike capability.

I worry excessively about out-of-battery misfires due to the target contacting the weapon.

All the striker-fired guns require two hands or some sort of ninja rack-slide-with-boot-heel maneuvers to bring the gun back into the fight after an out-of-battery misfire.
Keep in mind that there are a few striker fired guns with restrike capability. For example, the Taurus PT111G2/G2C is one of them, and it's a fine little 12rd mag gun...

(And you thought that a positive Glock thread would lead to rabid hatred...)

Of course, there are other full size 17/18rd 9x19mmP handguns having restrike capability too, like the Canik TP9 and Canik TP9 v2 (which led to people bitching so much that they also offered the TP9 SA without restrike). Personally, I really like the TP9 v2 (that should get the Turkey haters going... ).

Forrest
Old December 31, 2018, 08:15   #72
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I guess it depends on whether you assume your ammo is bad, or the gun is bad.

If the gun is bad - weak hammer, bad firing pin, stuck firing pin, hammer spring - then perhaps striking the primer a second time has merit.

I would address the gun problem, rather than favoring "second strike".

If the ammo is bad, then perhaps a second strike will make it go bang. But if I have a bad round I want to get rid of it so will do immediate action rather than wasting precious seconds trying to fire a bad round.

But then I only carry premium ammo as I consider anything else a false economy. Gee - I'm trusting my life to cartridges that are $0.13 less than the best. Range ammo sure - but buying crappy ammo for your EDC? I don't get it.

And if you aren't carrying crappy ammo in your EDC, then the chance of "needing" a second strike goes away.

Click no bang? Immediate action. Immediate action does not include pulling the trigger again. Something a single action user would not be tempted with, since his dead trigger tells him there's a failure to fire.

The OOB contact misfire is an interesting subject. I'll have to think about that one. With the Beretta's fixed barrel and dropping block, can you get a contact OOB? Don't have one here to try.

Last edited by gunplumber; December 31, 2018 at 08:26.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018, 09:10   #73
Bug Tussell
Registered

FALaholic #: 2872
Ghetto glock best glock.

sideways_gun_sight.jpg
Old December 31, 2018, 12:35   #74
ftierson
Registered

Quote:

The OOB contact misfire is an interesting subject. I'll have to think about that one. With the Beretta's fixed barrel and dropping block, can you get a contact OOB? Don't have one here to try.
Pushing in the Beretta 92 barrel will drop the toggle lock and disconnect the trigger from releasing the hammer.

Generally, all 'auto' handguns are designed to prevent the trigger mechanism from dropping the hammer or releasing the striker if the barrel is not fully locked/seated.

Or did I misunderstand your comment?

I used to think about the OOB problem, but it usually means that the mechanism prevents firing until locked, and then fires 'normally.' Can there be a spot just short of full lock when the mechanism will release the firing mechanism resulting in a light primer strike? Probably yes in some guns...

I finally decided that it wasn't a problem I needed to worry about given my defense scenarios. If I was an LEO, perhaps I'd think somewhat differently (as Gary mentions).

And for the other cause of misfires ('bad' ammo), I agree that you should use good ammo...

Forrest
Old December 31, 2018, 12:52   #75
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

There are some fixed barrel handguns - makarov for example, where it is blowback. Pushing the barrel does not push the slide and disconnect.

The browning tilt barrel, yes, push one and they both move.

The beretta is neither, having a locking block separate from the barrel.

I am wondering if pushing only the barrel will also push the slide, or of the slide has to be pushed around the barrel to disconnect.
Old December 31, 2018, 13:10   #76
ftierson
Registered

Pushing the barrel drops the toggle in the 92/M9...

Forrest
Old December 31, 2018, 13:13   #77
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Pushing the barrel drops the toggle in the 92/M9...
It also pushes the slide...

Forrest
Old December 31, 2018, 13:35   #78
Bawana jim
Registered

I bought a Glock 19 when they first came out with the adjustable sight. What a marvel it was until I showed it to a friend and he broke the cheap ass sight with finger pressure. So I bought the fixed sight and carried it for a summer work season. Even thought I might use it at one camp site but didn't fire it all summer long.

When I got home I took it to the range and it jammed over and over. So a local indoor gun range had a Glock guy that was there on weekends and I took it up to see what the problem was. He replaced the magazine springs saying they had some bad ones in the first batch. Gun ran like a top after that plus the company fixed it for free with a company rep that traveled all over the USA.

Never seen better standing behind the product than what Glock does.

Does anyone know if they still void the warranty if you shoot reloads?
Old December 31, 2018, 14:54   #79
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
I bought a Glock 19 when they first came out with the adjustable sight. What a marvel it was until I showed it to a friend and he broke the cheap ass sight with finger pressure. So I bought the fixed sight and carried it for a summer work season. Even thought I might use it at one camp site but didn't fire it all summer long.

When I got home I took it to the range and it jammed over and over. So a local indoor gun range had a Glock guy that was there on weekends and I took it up to see what the problem was. He replaced the magazine springs saying they had some bad ones in the first batch. Gun ran like a top after that plus the company fixed it for free with a company rep that traveled all over the USA.

Never seen better standing behind the product than what Glock does.

I'm not sure about the reloads warranty issue. Given some of the reloads I've seen (by others), I'd probably void the warranty on guns that I manufactured too. Having said that, Glock will usually work with problems that people have...

I'm still using the first mags that I received with the Glock 17 that I bought in 1991. They have been 100% (or I wouldn't be using them, of course). There have been a number of 'improvements' in the mags over the years, the biggest being when they went to the sharp-fronted followers. I did send my original mags that I purchased with my first Glock 21 (purchased also in 1991) back to Glock for the follower upgrade, even though I had experienced no problems even firing the old 200gr Speer flying ashtray...

Glock has exceptional customer support. I have sent several of my slides back to them (Glock 17 and Glock 21) for installing their night sights (they use a Glock branded Meprolight sight), which they do (or did, anyway, I haven't checked prices lately) for $57, including the return shipping of the slide. I can't buy the sights (at dealer prices) for that, and I really like the Meprolight tritium sights...

I still carry a Gen2 Glock 17, with a Glock 18 backup mag, the finest combat 9mm handgun on Earth...

I say that owning and shooting a lot of much newer 'wonder-9s, some of which have much better triggers and ergonomics (Walther PPQ, FN 509, Beretta APX, Beretta 8000F Cougar, Steyr M9-A1, etc) than the Glock 17. I still carry the Glock 17, which says a lot (perhaps that I'm feeble-minded in my old age, but maybe not... ).

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Old December 31, 2018, 15:02   #80
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
By the way, in all fairness, I should probably also point out that almost (perhaps all) all manufacturers of handguns have reloading disclaimers on/for their warranty...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Old December 31, 2018, 15:05   #81
Bawana jim
Registered

I got my CCW when I was 21 and carried a gun for all these years to reach 66. Never been in a gunfight so it matters little what gun is the best. All my friends are old men and they have never fired a shot in anger either.
Old December 31, 2018, 15:48   #82
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
I got my CCW when I was 21 and carried a gun for all these years to reach 66. Never been in a gunfight so it matters little what gun is the best. All my friends are old men and they have never fired a shot in anger either.
Sticks would probably work just as well for you guys then...

Forrest
Old December 31, 2018, 16:02   #83
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
Of all the defense type handguns I own, I have the most confidence in my Glocks. And for me that is saying something. I was a Glock hater for decades, until I bought one.

Second in line would be my Beretta 92, but I have to keep the slide lubed. It short cycles if I let the oil dry out. The Glock will run dry.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018, 16:13   #84
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Sticks would probably work just as well for you guys then...
By the way, Jim, this comes across a little sharper than I really intended, because I do know what you're trying to say...

Forrest
Old December 31, 2018, 16:17   #85
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:

The hammer will definitely fall when slightly out of battery. I haven't actually tried it with live ammo to see where is the cutoff point between click and bang.

I suspect that much like the Glock, once you push to a certain point, either some disconnector takes over, and/or the firing pin is no longer aligned with the primer in such a way as to provide sufficient energy to detonate the primer.

You can see in the video that the force of the hammer striking the rear of the slide forces the slide back into battery. Probably robs the hamme of sufficient reliable force to detonate primer though.

Old December 31, 2018, 16:31   #86
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
By the way, Jim, this comes across a little sharper than I really intended, because I do know what you're trying to say...

Forrest
I ran with a crowd most of my life that would say things just to light your fire. Even lit a few fires myself in good fun.

Years ago a fellow I worked with opened my eyes on guns and hunting. I grew up in the valley with everyone having to have the right gun to hunt with. Deer and Elk or bear, the guys you talked to aways had the perfect gun and caliber to hunt with.

Chester killed more rocky Mountain elk than anyone I ever met and he grew up in Eastern Oregon. 15 years of working side by side and not only did he kill his elk but killed elk for his family's tags. So I asked him one day what his elk killing gun was as I was thinking I would learn the proven best elk killing set up ever. His reply was"oh what ever was in the truck at the time we saw the elk".

I always liked guns and wanted to shoot every gun I could. Now I feel that served me well because whatever gun I have on hand will be good enough.
Old December 31, 2018, 16:34   #87
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I always liked guns and wanted to shoot every gun I could. Now I feel that served me well because whatever gun I have on hand will be good enough.
That's pretty much the truth. Although some guns are more dependable than others. Eastern whitetail will succumb to Crosman BB gun with 10 pumps. Not recommended though.

Old December 31, 2018, 16:36   #88
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
That's pretty much the truth. Although some guns are more dependable than others. Eastern whitetail will succumb to Crosman BB gun with 10 pumps. Not recommended though.
Little old black tail out here you can kill with a pocket knife... once you hit them with the car.
Old January 01, 2019, 10:41   #89
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:

Yes, definitely. And.....

Quote:
By the way, in all fairness, I should probably also point out that almost (perhaps all) all manufacturers of handguns have reloading disclaimers on/for their warranty...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
This.

I cannot testify to the newer gen of Glock but I was an armorer though gen 3. Worked at a facility with a shop and range, had special Glock events with factory reps, their own armorers present, installing Glock branded accessories and touting the pistols. Also provided a G18 which was a hoot.

I've owned many models and for about a year a 19 then a 26 was my ccw. But the numbers of inoperable pistols started piling up and I ditched all my Glocks. Way to many broken parts. Locking blocks, quick fix. Pin through locking block, quick fix and didn't affect function. Broken slides, around the recoil spring hole and through the ejection port, the later caused jams. Broken trigger springs, quick fix. Firing pins, tip missing. Extractors, claw chipped.
There was one failure that I never learned what caused it. Pistol was locked up, could not even beat it open. Had to send those to the factory. Had been working fine then not. Glock never told us why or what broke, just fixed it and returned it.

They are mechanical and as prone to failure as anything else. Probably because of the sheer numbers over anything else out there I saw way more broken Glocks than anything else but all had problems.

How the current gen Glocks work and last I have no clue, I simply no longer trusted the pistols and moved on to one of the least observed failure semi auto pistols I knew at the time, HK, of which I was also an armorer. Carried the USPc only because it is smaller than the compact 92 and felt better in the hands.

For years before the Glocks and HK my ccw was a 92f. Fired thousands of rounds as it was also my very first USPSA pistol. Never a broken part or problem, period. And no, the broken slide myth never occurred.

Trust Glock if you want too, millions of reliable pistols can't be all together wrong. My mind won't let me rely on them because I've seen way to many broken ones. And they don't even make a decent hammer when all else fails.
Old January 01, 2019, 12:31   #90
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post

And they don't even make a decent hammer when all else fails.

Forrest
Old January 01, 2019, 13:00   #91
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Yes, definitely. And.....

This.

I cannot testify to the newer gen of Glock but I was an armorer though gen 3. Worked at a facility with a shop and range, had special Glock events with factory reps, their own armorers present, installing Glock branded accessories and touting the pistols. Also provided a G18 which was a hoot.

I've owned many models and for about a year a 19 then a 26 was my ccw. But the numbers of inoperable pistols started piling up and I ditched all my Glocks. Way to many broken parts. Locking blocks, quick fix. Pin through locking block, quick fix and didn't affect function. Broken slides, around the recoil spring hole and through the ejection port, the later caused jams. Broken trigger springs, quick fix. Firing pins, tip missing. Extractors, claw chipped.
There was one failure that I never learned what caused it. Pistol was locked up, could not even beat it open. Had to send those to the factory. Had been working fine then not. Glock never told us why or what broke, just fixed it and returned it.

They are mechanical and as prone to failure as anything else. Probably because of the sheer numbers over anything else out there I saw way more broken Glocks than anything else but all had problems.

How the current gen Glocks work and last I have no clue, I simply no longer trusted the pistols and moved on to one of the least observed failure semi auto pistols I knew at the time, HK, of which I was also an armorer. Carried the USPc only because it is smaller than the compact 92 and felt better in the hands.

For years before the Glocks and HK my ccw was a 92f. Fired thousands of rounds as it was also my very first USPSA pistol. Never a broken part or problem, period. And no, the broken slide myth never occurred.

Trust Glock if you want too, millions of reliable pistols can't be all together wrong. My mind won't let me rely on them because I've seen way to many broken ones. And they don't even make a decent hammer when all else fails.
24 yrs in the Army, I could have written the exact same thing above about the beloved 1911.

Those 1911's we were issued to use in war, were some war weary creatures often only good for using as a hammer.

Smooth bore 1911's were the norm.

All hand guns get used and abused from time to time, shot to death, worn out, parts just break, etc.

Add in, some folks believe 10,000 rounds of high pressure ammo is a decent break in period for their carry hand gun, things often just break and wear out.

I enjoy watching people show up at the range, with 3 or 4 hundred rounds of factory high pressure ammo, firing as fast as they can load magazines, and then bitch and complain when the pistol stops working after 3 or 4 hundred rounds.

Having never even heard of anyone claiming to have fired 3 or 4 hundred rounds of pistol ammo in a gun fight, but often hearing, gun fights with hand guns were over after three to five rounds, maybe not burning up their carry guns @ the range,,,,, might make sense??????

High heat and high pressure will break most anything man made.

Old January 01, 2019, 14:24   #92
JohnHB
Registered

FALaholic #: 81835
My favorite Glocks are, in no particular order.

Glock 45
Glock 19X
Glock 34 MOS Gen 5
Glock 26 Gen 5
Glock 21
Glock 41
JohnHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2019, 16:05   #93
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
This was pure fun to read some of the comments in this thread. I think some of you need to post a thread on proper body disposal.

But in all seriousness, I had a come to Jesus moment about 15 years ago when I was involved in a shooting. In the days and weeks that followed I came to realize that many of the officers who were there that day, didnít know the condition of their weapon, whether the safety was on or not, how many rounds were fired, etc. I did a lot of soul searching about what gun I was going to trust my life to. At the time I had a Sig P226, Beretta 92F, S&W M39, Colt 1911, Colt Government 380, Glock G20, Glock G22C and a couple others. As I thought about it hard I realized that I needed to standardize my handguns. I quickly realized that the DA/SA guns needed to go as the trigger made it had to get good groups. The 1911 soon there after left as it was to picky about what it would shoot and what it would not. I soon was left with the Glocks and realized I didnít need anything more, I could have the same trigger feel in every caliber I wanted. I liked the Ďuniversalí mag, being able to use a full size mag in every variation in that caliber.

I would agree that if the gun goes click, get rid of the round.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2019, 18:22   #94
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
This was pure fun to read some of the comments in this thread. I think some of you need to post a thread on proper body disposal.

But in all seriousness, I had a come to Jesus moment about 15 years ago when I was involved in a shooting. In the days and weeks that followed I came to realize that many of the officers who were there that day, didnít know the condition of their weapon, whether the safety was on or not, how many rounds were fired, etc. I did a lot of soul searching about what gun I was going to trust my life to. At the time I had a Sig P226, Beretta 92F, S&W M39, Colt 1911, Colt Government 380, Glock G20, Glock G22C and a couple others. As I thought about it hard I realized that I needed to standardize my handguns. I quickly realized that the DA/SA guns needed to go as the trigger made it had to get good groups. The 1911 soon there after left as it was to picky about what it would shoot and what it would not. I soon was left with the Glocks and realized I didnít need anything more, I could have the same trigger feel in every caliber I wanted. I liked the Ďuniversalí mag, being able to use a full size mag in every variation in that caliber.

I would agree that if the gun goes click, get rid of the round.
Round in chamber, pull trigger, gun goes bang, has a LOT going for it.

I would suspect most of us can operate most handguns, those with or without safety's, exposed hammers, not exposed hammers, other strange little quirks, etc, but in combat, simple is always best.

Old January 01, 2019, 19:05   #95
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
24 yrs in the Army, I could have written the exact same thing above about the beloved 1911.
Exactly what the point is. People seem to put Glock on some kind of high and mighty pedestal but in reality they are still mechanical devices, prone to failure. As much as a WWII 1911? Of course not, hell not much is. Comparing a design set loose in 1911 against one set loose in 1979 is hardly a fair comparison.

Glock isn't magic and the koolaide crowd has spiked punch.

The pistols are very reliable and some remarkable things have been done to them and with them as far as longevity and reliability. They still break, I've repaired many much to the dismay to their owners.
Old January 01, 2019, 20:09   #96
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
I picked up a 1988ish production Gen 2 G17 at an estate auction. Was suprised it wouldn't release the striker when I got it home. Ended up fixing it by bending the connector.

Took it to the range to test and was suprised by how easy it was to shoot accurately. The truth is glocks are pretty easy guns to shoot accuratly. The blocky top of the slide provides a nice flat plane.

Lately I've been accumulating G17 variations.

Last edited by nvcdl; January 03, 2019 at 19:51.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2019, 21:42   #97
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Exactly what the point is. People seem to put Glock on some kind of high and mighty pedestal but in reality they are still mechanical devices, prone to failure. As much as a WWII 1911? Of course not, hell not much is. Comparing a design set loose in 1911 against one set loose in 1979 is hardly a fair comparison.

Glock isn't magic and the koolaide crowd has spiked punch.

The pistols are very reliable and some remarkable things have been done to them and with them as far as longevity and reliability. They still break, I've repaired many much to the dismay to their owners.
Glock's are a reliable bullet hose.
Nothing magical for sure, about like the AK 47, things simply work well, as intended, right out of the box.

Old January 01, 2019, 22:06   #98
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
I've bought my first Glock (17 Gen4) about a year ago. I've had Glocks as duty pistols since 2006.

My first real duty pistol in the army was a Walther P38, which I disliked. I then was able to adopt an FN made HiPower, and we became friends almost instantly.

My Glock 17 has been modded, my HiPower is not, except for a change of springs and taking out the magazine disconnect.

I still own an Argy Mk3 standard HiPower, which is a fine shooter.

They both got their place in history.

To each his own.

The HiPower will always have a place in my heart, the Glock will have a place in my holster.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2019, 13:07   #99
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
I guess you have to read some Jeff Cooper to understand.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=27

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2019, 13:49   #100
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
All true words that is!