The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old July 18, 2018, 19:33   #1
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Recommendations on a toy hauler.

Looking to buy a toy hauler for my ATVs. Big enough for two 4 wheelers and with a bed and kitchenette up front. Light enough to be towed by 2015 Silverado 1500. High enough clearance to get down logging roads. My truck has a tow package and brake controller. Also 4WD. Any ideas?
Old July 18, 2018, 23:18   #2
kwthor
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 49571
You need a bigger truck.
Old July 19, 2018, 09:52   #3
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
You need a Carson, but they only sell them in AZ, CO, CA, UT, WA. They are by far lighter than most of the ones I see on the East coast.

It may be worth your while to go here and buy it. Tell Yogi I sent you..

https://www.mrtrailersalesaz.com/

I bought one from him and towed it to SC with a 3.5 liter Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited. I moved my motorcycle and ATV with it. I even loaded a jetski on it's trailer in it going camping, was a bear to get in and out, but trailer was big enough.

The wife bitched that the bed and kitchen was too small, so I sold it to a happy camper out here that came down from CT to come get it. The camper I replaced it with, had a water leak and I practically gave it away 3 years later. I may go out to AZ next year and go get one again.

Last edited by hagar; July 19, 2018 at 09:58.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 12:03   #4
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwthor View Post
You need a bigger truck.
What he said. Make sure it has a transmission cooler as well.

I've hauled my friends 21' Attitude (beds in the back) with two quads and all our hunting gear for many years to and from Colorado. I've owned and done the same with a 23' Layton (also beds in the back). Hauled them with an F250 7.3l diesel and they can be a handful especially in the mountains. That being said, any trailer can be a handful if weight distribution is wrong.

You might consider something like this:
https://www.livinlite.com/products/q...rs/7x20HJ.html this company has a pretty good rep. They are owned by Thor now...so...?

my .02 for what its worth.
I don't know your experience with hauling travel/toyhauler trailers, but...
Toyhaulers with beds up front are typically longer/heavier and not considered lightweight toyhaulers...which is likely that you'll want for an 1/2 ton and two quads.

Towing at 100% of your vehicles capacity sucks. Its hard on the truck. Its hard on the driver. Especially, for anything longer than around town driving.

Figure out the towing capacity of your truck then times that by 65%...that's what I've always considered my maximum towing capacity when hauling. That weight includes everything you are hauling. Including yourself, passengers, and everything in the bed of your truck.

For your family's sake, make sure you distributed the weight properly over your axles. Invest in a sway control hitch. It wont completely stop the sway, but it can be the difference in being able to pull over to redistribute some weight or having an impromptu garage sale on the highway.

Trailer brake controller also a must.

Good luck on your decision.
Old July 19, 2018, 22:17   #5
SAM1965
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 68344
Toy Hauler

I ended up with a Genesis Supreme 32CR. Just under 14,000lbs loaded. I drag it with an F250. It does it well. The Genesis is not luxury but very nice. They make models under 10,000lbs. Electric bunk beds and a master suite in the 5th wheel models. Maybe check’em out?

As far as which method to tow... Gooseneck is best in my opinion.

Last edited by SAM1965; July 19, 2018 at 22:19. Reason: Towing
SAM1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 19:35   #6
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
I'm looking at a Wildwood 180 rt. it only holds one ATV but only weighs 3100lbs dry. I don't want to buy another truck.