Notices

Old December 13, 2017, 01:18   #101
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
Rich I am sure others would like to see this receiver. Pictures please so hopefully if DSA Rep does show up here he should feel obligated to explain what we are seeing in the pictures. I am quite interested in how he rationalizes spins a warped receiver.

I've already disposed of it. It went to someone with a machine shop and more time to waste than I can spare.
Would dsa have replaced it? Far as I'm concerned wasn't worth the risk of getting anouther bad one.
I'll save up more cash and buy anouther Imbel.
Old December 13, 2017, 19:14   #102
Registered

FALaholic #: 77534
reamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
That loser's been on my ignore list for years, so I didn't see it until you quoted it.

You want to get a custom ground reamer - go for it. Should set you back around $300. How much was the receiver?

I'll continue to flap sand. A demonstration is in my review of DS35660 image 7 in this thread.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417510
where do you get $300.00 for a custom ground reamer??? a .296" carbide reamer is $59.00.using a flap sander for a LSH?????.......ugh

Last edited by 2112; December 13, 2017 at 19:32.
2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017, 07:49   #103
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
where do you get $300.00 for a custom ground reamer??? a .296" carbide reamer is $59.00.using a flap sander for a LSH?????.......ugh
It's not a .296. Add another significant figure and watch the price go up. -ugh!
Old December 14, 2017, 12:24   #104
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
A carbide reamer is in the 35 dollar range, and to have a tool guy cut it smaller is about another 35. I know. I do it for a living.

Lets' see how long it takes a mod to remove this post too.

Last edited by Right Side Up; December 14, 2017 at 12:35.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017, 13:12   #105
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Lets' see how long it takes a mod to remove this post too.

Why would your post be removed? Nothing offensive written....just a good 'ol contradictory opinion. Thats what makes America GREAT! 😁
Old December 14, 2017, 13:42   #106
CQB27
Registered

FALaholic #: 80223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Why would your post be removed? Nothing offensive written....just a good 'ol contradictory opinion. Thats what makes America GREAT! 😁
I don't have a dog in the fight.....I am not knowledgeable enough on carbide cutters, machining parts, or FALs for that matter to comment on way or the other.

I have been reading this thread from the beginning, and in Right Side Up's defense, he has had at least two comments mysteriously disappear from this thread. In both he was disagreeing with a member on gunsmith stuff, but neither seemed like they were out of line. I am really new to this forum so I have no idea if he violated some rule, but based on other comments I have read here when members disagree, I kind of doubt it. Who knows? Maybe just "just a good 'ol contradictory opinion" don't fly around here?
CQB27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2017, 09:30   #107
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CQB27 View Post
in Right Side Up's defense, he has had at least two comments mysteriously disappear from this thread.
I wouldn't know. That jackass has been on my ignore list for a decade.
Old December 15, 2017, 11:57   #108
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Yeah, disappearing posts containing a dissenting opinion is f****d.
Old December 15, 2017, 13:39   #109
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Yeah, disappearing posts containing a dissenting opinion is f****d.
Yep all of flypaper's, among others, and my posts which I made aimed at right side ups condescending comments were deleted also. I thought that was BS as well. Admittedly I assumed RSU had whined to a moderator. I guess I may have been incorrect in that assumption.
Old December 15, 2017, 21:32   #110
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
An opposite or dissenting opinion being stated is one thing. Loading it with vitriol and sarcasm is another. Like-wise, retorts to such posts are also often deleted, likely to be fair to the other people.
This is the tone of what I hear. I highly doubt RSU's posts were simply opposite opinions but that's just my take, being familiar with his style.
I'm willing to bet any further posts that fan the flames will also disappear in kind. Some of my own have disappeared but I'm fine with that. Not my house. I'll play me, the governor can play him.
Old December 15, 2017, 22:37   #111
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
Yep all of flypaper's, among others, and my posts which I made aimed at right side ups condescending comments were deleted also. I thought that was BS as well. Admittedly I assumed RSU had whined to a moderator. I guess I may have been incorrect in that assumption.
I didn't whine to anyone.

LelandEOD said he had a receiver with a .004" undersize locking shoulder bore. His first choice was to buy the correct size reamer and machine it as it should have been done at DSA. A gunsmith said not to do that, just get some 100 grit sanding roll and a split rod and grind it out. Sorry, but you can't accurately grind .004" out of an interrupted hole and keep it straight, round, and to size. Aint gonna happen I don't care how good someone thinks he is.

The gunsmith says a carbide reamer is $300. It isn't. Here's one for $26. It's 7.5mm, which is .2953". A sharp carbide reamer will cut slightly larger than it measures, so the hole would end up about .2956".

https://www.ebay.com/i/162513974250?chn=ps

The easiest way for Leland to fix his receiver is to mail it to a gunsmith to have the hole reamed correctly, then have it mailed back. No transfer involved. It would take about 15 minutes in a mill so shouldn't cost much.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/atf-...paired-firearm

The bolt thrust on a .308 Winchester is about 10,00 pounds. The locking shoulder hole has to be straight to support the locking shoulder, otherwise you risk a broken locking shoulder from flexing it. Not trying to start anything here, but I hate bad advice being posted. This isn't AR building, it's way more involved. If you're going to do something, do it right.

Last edited by Right Side Up; December 15, 2017 at 22:45.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2017, 23:37   #112
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
I'm still waiting on the RMA the DSAREP said he'd send me, for that defective gas block.
Old Yesterday, 08:07   #113
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
I'm still waiting on the RMA the DSAREP said he'd send me, for that defective gas block.
Kind of disappeared, didn't he? Possibly The Chicago Way is still healthy and in full operation?