The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old April 15, 2012, 18:07   #1
BIG50
Registered

FALaholic #: 1441
Refinished an old war horse Mosin M44

Bought this awhile back it is a Russian All matching numbers M44 Carbine that looked horrible when I bought it. Had to give it the magic touch.

Last edited by BIG50; April 15, 2012 at 18:14.
BIG50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012, 00:33   #2
Chalk_2
Registered

FALaholic #: 13760
Damn really nice. I wish I had skills like that.
Chalk_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012, 14:46   #3
ac7120
Registered

FALaholic #: 63517
That rifle came out looking really nice. Good job!
Old April 17, 2012, 15:29   #4
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
What a shine! What did you finish it with?
Gary
Old April 21, 2012, 22:09   #5
genethepoolcleaner
UnReconstructed
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63022
I would say you have the magic touch there Bro. Nice job
GTPC
Surrender means that the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the War; will be impressed by all the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision. -General Pat Cleburne, CSA
genethepoolcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012, 23:39   #6
BIG50
Registered

FALaholic #: 1441
Guys,
I dont mind giving my secrets away here is what I do and use.
first off take your piece of wood.

1. strip the old finish off using some kind of cheap wood varnish or poly spray can or brush on stripper. ( I use spray on Stripper the cheapest crap avail from home depot or lowes)

2. using an old credit card or plastic scraper when you have your stripper applied and wet and have let it soak in for 20 minutes or so ( you can see it peeling) you scrape it off do this how ever many times it takes to get the old crap off rinse it throughly with water and let dry.

3. let it dry a day or so. ( I live in Arizona so everything drys out that day and is ready to sand)

4. sand your piece of wood if it has many large dings then soak it in soapy water for a day or so (I use Dawn dish soap) this will swell out some of the dents and raise more of the old oil and stain/dirt that is deep in the wood.rinse and let it dry then you are ready to sand. start off with 150 to 220 sand paper depending on the crap you need to sand off. ( I use a chaep electric hand/palm sander from harbor freight tools or home depot) be careful not to remove to much wood. the more you sand using fine sand paper the nicer your piece of wood will come out. on some of my Mosin Nagants I sanded using 1500 to 2000 grit paper.

5. once sanded to the Quality you want out of your piece of wood you need to either stain it the color you are wanting or just clear kote it in the picture above I used a light oak minwax stain only two coats.

6. the above Mosin nagant was only sanded to 400 grit if I wanted to spend the time I would have taken it out to 2000 grit paper.

7. once sanded to the fine'ness you want and stained to the color you want. now you are ready to clear kote it.

8. the product that I use and like the best is in a green spray can and made by Minwax ( this is what the can says) minwax indoor/outdoor Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Gloss.

9. now once your stain has dried this may take a day or two now you are ready to clear. guys be patient it takes me at least two weeks to to get what I am looking for. ( sanding usualy only takes me a couple of hours or less) the stain only takes a day or two depending on how dark or light you want it. the clear koting takes many days.

10. now hang your piece of wood using a coat hanger and spray it with a couple of coats of clear be careful not to over do it and have runs.
let it set over night ( if you have runs stop let it dry a day or so and slightly re-sand the runs off using like 400 grit paper) if no runs then repeat this process for at least 8 to 10 coats ( dont freek out if you have a rough surface let it dry for several days sand it out using 0000 steel wool or 1500 or 2000 grit paper it will look rough and crappy once you sand on it BUT ONCE YOU CLEAR it again the dull roughness will go away.
sorry for the long process I have a had a few beers and a couple of shots of Tequila the entire process can take a week or two depending on how picky you are.
hope this helps and if you have any Questions email or private message me.
love to help.
have a great day guys.
BIG50

Last edited by BIG50; April 23, 2012 at 23:54.
BIG50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012, 21:54   #7
Brass Rat
Grumpy old fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 18076
Very nice!!!
Brass Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 13:10   #8
Pluskat
Registered

FALaholic #: 19036
Beautiful work....now how much do you want for it?
Pluskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 00:36   #9
gates
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 129
How does it shoot? bayo folded, bayo extended - pretty guns are pretty but rubber meets the road when you group it - I can make an inoperable piece of shit look museum quality - the TEST is how that rifle SHOOTS. IMO, of course...
gates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 14:32   #10
Aifwikir
Registered

FALaholic #: 2187
What!? No before pictures??

Beautiful Rifle!! Very nice work, Big50! I did the same thing with an Enfield No.4 Mkii.

Aif
Old May 13, 2012, 11:49   #11
big44man
No longer lonesome
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 44868
I also picked up a nice one, all matching numbers, even the bayonet, a few weeks ago, you have inspired me to get busy and clean it up. It is still covered with cosmoline, or whatever they used to preserve it. I'll do pictures when it gets done.
NRA Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun. CCW Instructor.
big44man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 12:13   #12
cheesy411
Registered

FALaholic #: 64941
Excellent finish! I finished both of mine with similar results the perfection comes out when you take your time prepping the wood.
cheesy411 is online now   Reply With Quote