The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old August 18, 2019, 19:30   #1
shackelford
Registered

FALaholic #: 55508
Multiple issues with a new to me DSA FAL

So, I picked up a new 18" DSA FAL for a song on another forum. Previous owner claimed he hadn't fired it, and the original owner had only a few hundred rounds. It looked almost new.

So, I take it to the range and started with a DSA 20 round mag. The round wouldn't chamber, it hung up, hard, on the feed ramp. I downloaded a few rounds, and, same issue. Swapping to another new looking DSA mag, same issue.

After that, I switched to a Moses Mag. That chambered just fine. But... I also had light strikes, to the point of barely striking at all. Out of three rounds, one had a tiny dimple, the other two had no visible dimples at all. At this point, I packed the rifle up, no shots fired on my FAL, at all.

Help me troubleshoot this. I have a couple of FAL kits in the back of a closet for a few years, and want to figure out how to troubleshoot this gun before tackling assembling those kits.
shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019, 19:41   #2
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
4 of my 10 DSA mags hung up like that when new. With mine, it was the underside of the feed lips being aggressively rough. I’m pretty sure they failed the initial QC check, and they were reshaped with a bastard file. They fed better once I hit them with some sandpaper and scotch-brite. Though, I exclusively use Moses mags now. No more feeding issues.

The light strikes might be a broken pin. I’d pull it out and inspect it. I thought I had heard something a while back about a run of DSA pins failing.
fuel fire desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019, 19:50   #3
Charles_The_Hammer
BANNED

FALaholic #: 76904
I had problems with all 5 DSA 20 round mags I owned. They wouldn't feed the first one or two rounds. After browsing this forum for a while, I decided to do what the other poster said and polished up the feed lips with some sandpaper. I also loaded them all up with a full 20 rounds and let them sit like that for a month. Then I took one round out of each mag and let them all sit for another month. I guess it worked because the last time I used them they all worked properly. I still ended up selling them all and just buying some surplus mags from Sarco that haven't given me any issues at all.

Hope you get your issues corrected. Having a "new to you" rifle that malfunctions is extremely frustrating.
Charles_The_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019, 20:16   #4
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Ditch the non-surplus mags, get some good condition surplus mags and start over.
Old August 18, 2019, 20:37   #5
HenryIV
Registered

FALaholic #: 80384
Or you can do what I did. I had Gunplumber build me a nice kit Gun and sold my problem child DSA. I have had drama free range time ever since. And yes, I did disclose the known problems to the buyer.
HenryIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019, 20:39   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
No DSA mags. Pull the firing pin. Sounds like it's bent or out of spec and binding

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019, 20:48   #7
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
'Got it for a song' you say....??

I'm with the others, Milsurp Mags and dispose of the problem, or like the previous owner did, dispose of the DSA.

Hope you get it fixed !!
G.
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019, 22:39   #8
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
DSA Mags - Defective Crap that Dave has been selling for years, knowing full well they are defective. Because It's the Chicago Way
Barrel - chamber chamfer defective. Non-repairable. Barrel needs replacing.

Try DSA"s lifetime warranty. see how that works for you. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH! Hope you didn't pay more than $400-500 for the parts, because you'll be lucky if you can salvage that out of it.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436385

Last edited by gunplumber; August 18, 2019 at 22:47.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019, 23:39   #9
shackelford
Registered

Mark,
The photos on your linked thread don't show up. Based on my photos, can you definitely tell that I have the barrel chamfer issue? My gun is notably newer (42xxx )than the serials that you reference in your post.

I was expecting issues with the DSA mags, that is easily fixable. I will pull the firing pin tomorrow and compare with one of my kits, that is also a cheap and easy fix.

Is there a good source for metric mags at the moment? Also, iirc, there are no new Moses mags being made, so that is also up to the used market, correct?

Well, achieving my goal of learning about the platform, lol. Thanks everyone...
Old August 19, 2019, 00:28   #10
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by shackelford View Post
Welcome to the FAL realm!

Please leave the "Platform" shit on barfcom..

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 00:49   #11
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Quote:
Mark,
The photos on your linked thread don't show up. Based on my photos, can you definitely tell that I have the barrel chamfer issue? My gun is notably newer (42xxx )than the serials that you reference in your post.

I was expecting issues with the DSA mags, that is easily fixable. I will pull the firing pin tomorrow and compare with one of my kits, that is also a cheap and easy fix.

Is there a good source for metric mags at the moment? Also, iirc, there are no new Moses mags being made, so that is also up to the used market, correct?

Metric mags..
https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.c...ound-standard/
Old August 19, 2019, 07:40   #12
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
I bought some Korean Milsurp Mags, cheap & those I've used worked without a hitch.

Believe I got them off GB.
G.
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 08:24   #13
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
For the love of God, throw the factory DSA and the Korean in the trash. they are junk... or sell them to some internet know it all who hasn't emptied a single FAL magazine in his life.

Moses mags are good to go, so you at least have one decent mag right now.

Pick yourself up some factory metric magazines. Put a WTB add in marketplace and you should easily drum up a handful. Expect to pay $20-$25 each for nice quality mags.

Regarding the light primer strikes, remove the firing pin and clean it, then reassemble. While you are at it, post a picture of the disassembled assembly (bolt, firing pin and spring)… if there is an issue other than cleaning, a FALfiler will likely identify it.
Old August 19, 2019, 09:21   #14
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Mark,
WEll darn, I Linked from my FB page and it used to work fine. I'll have to revisit these blogs.

Yes, I can tell from a distance - your chamfer at the chamber face is super wide. It's supposed to be a small chamfer. By making it larger, they decrease the angle - bullet tip hit and stop as if it were a flat surface, rather than being guided into the chamber.
Old August 19, 2019, 15:35   #15
VAplinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 78941
I've experienced trouble with brand new DSA mags as well. I have some surplus mags that look like they were dug out of a swamp and run over by a truck, but still work with no issues. So like the others mentioned, get some surplus mags - they pop up all the time. I still have those DSA mags... I don't want to sell them to some other poor sap.
VAplinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 15:42   #16
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I have to say the 25 round DSA mags worked fine for me.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 22:13   #17
shackelford
Registered

Thanks for all the replies. I actually have a 17" Imbel barrel I set aside a while ago, so if I have to, I guess I could pull and replace that. More work that I was hoping.

As for the firing pin, I stripped it and inspected that and compared it to the pin on my Argy kit. The pin wasn't broke, and there wasn't an obvious difference. If anything, the end of the Argy pin is a bit more rounded, while the DSA pin was a bit more blunt. I took a couple photos while it was stripped, the DSA pin is silver, the Argy black.

Old August 20, 2019, 21:56   #18
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
With the bolt, carrier, and top cover removed, close the rifle and cock the hammer. See if the hammer is dragging on anything as you cock or release it.

If this test does not reveal any problems, install your bolt into a different carrier. Remove a bullet from a loaded cartridge. Dump the powder and insert the primed case into the barrel chamber. Push the bolt and carrier into battery and pull the trigger.

What happened?
Old August 21, 2019, 05:48   #19
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
So, have you tried a milsurp mag already?
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 06:45   #20
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Also, your *parts* look dry as a bone.
I would suggest a goodly level of lube on all bolt/carrier and trigger group related parts, particularly with a brand new rifle.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 07:08   #21
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
I would check the headspace also.
Old August 21, 2019, 12:16   #22
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
I wonder. Does the bolt carrier make it fully into the closed position? Were it not to make it all the way forward due to some interference , the hammer would be prevented from making a complete strike.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 14:46   #23
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee View Post
I wonder. Does the bolt carrier make it fully into the closed position? Were it not to make it all the way forward due to some interference , the hammer would be prevented from making a complete strike.
This might be a bingo.

My DSA wouldn’t close all the way on Moses mags without modification. The bolt couldn’t drop into the locked position because it was contacting the feed lips of the magazine. I had the same issues with similar marks on the primer years ago.

Gun Plumber, in that thread I posted years ago, said the DSA receivers were out of spec, and this was a known issue. Back when Moses communicated with people he walked me through a simple fix, and now my DSA runs like a top.
fuel fire desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 14:48   #24
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
The front beaks and the rear notches on the DSA mags are FUBAR dimensional wise. Only half of the ones I ever bought held the next round in the right spot relative to the bolt face to work well. The others I stole the floorplates and followers from and assembled them to well worn Israeli mag bodies that I repainted and baked with Duplicolor black. So I get two 922r parts instead of three.

If milsurp mags dont work, you can ask gunplumber, some DSA (as opposed to DS) prefixed receivers have problems with their front mag catch cuts too. Hes one of the few guys that might be able to correct it on a mill.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; August 21, 2019 at 14:55.
Impala_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 17:17   #25
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
I'm surprised no one mentioned cleaning the firing pin bore in the bolt. Granted, it shouldn't be dirty or clogged in a relatively new rifle, but you never know. I've run into similar light strikes in years past, did the Qtip, pipe cleaner and Hoppes number and got all kinds of ancient dirt and dried oil and cosmoline out, problem solved.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 18:39   #26
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I thought his first few pictures showed rounds knocking the barrel but not getting in.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 19:55   #27
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Says a lot that DSA REP chose to respond to the Hebrew Hammer thread this afternoon, but ignored this thread sitting right on top of it.....
mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 13:32   #28
DSA_REP
Registered

FALaholic #: 80089
Location: I'm an active FAL enthusiast living in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp View Post
Says a lot that DSA REP chose to respond to the Hebrew Hammer thread this afternoon, but ignored this thread sitting right on top of it.....
Would you like to submit a digest to me as to what YOU think I should read and respond to first? Sorry I fell out of your perceived order :/

To the owner of this post. Please give customer service a call. Even though you are not the original purchaser any manufacturing issues are covered under warranty.
DSA_REP is offline   Reply With Quote