The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old September 11, 2018, 17:41   #1
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
Bear Creek Arsenal???

Any issues with Bear Creek Arsenal? Looking at a complete upper....

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
Snake Bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2018, 21:52   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Know three people who built rifles on Bear Creek Barrels who all eventually turned them into door stops. Over at 6.8 Forums was a recent thread where new user had built a 6.8 spc II AR 15 on a 16" Bear Creek Arsenal barrel and said he had done everything including taking to a smith and average group was four to five inches at 100 yards. Several others chimed in who had or knew others with similar or worse results. One showed pictures of 2.5" groups at 25 yards and average of six inch groups at 100 yards. All had eventually swapped their Bear Creek for ARP or Bison tubes since were set on 6.8.

They had a poor reputation when first started but apparently tightened up their game and had less complaints. Then appear to have sent some hand selected barrels at no cost to several gun bloggers with moderate flllowimgs who started posting some decent reviews which would guess free barrels didn't hurrt their opinions. Of course if I were making any item and sent it out for review would make sure I sent out a my best. Backpack and tent companies used to be renowned for sending their hand sewn prototypes to reviewers rather than the packs and tents made by their Chinese contractors. Got good reviews and lots of end user complaints.

I have read a mix of experiences on other discussion boards about their upper tier barrels but horror stories about their $70 to $90 barrels. Also noticed they have 13 Better Business Bureau complaints, six in last year. My business was started by my Dad in 1952 and I took over in 1985 which is 33 years for my turn and 68 years total without a single complaint with the BBB in all that time so unsure what it takes to get a BBB complaint on record.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 06:53   #3
wilson180
Registered

FALaholic #: 80897
I bought a complete AR15 made by Bear Creek Arsenal in 2016. I paid $499 for it so I suppose it could be called a cheap rifle. I have taken it to the range many times and fired many rounds through it. I have not have any problems with it feeding, firing or ejecting. I have a 4x scope on it and I can consistently get 1 to 2 MOA at 100 yards. For an old guy like me that is good enough.

This is my experience with the rifle, others may have had different experiences.
wilson180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 09:00   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Good to hear a good report. They are fairly large company, make most stuff on shore and wish all success. I have never owned any of their barrels or rifles so can just re-spew what read on internet but the older experiences combined with new experience of their 6.8 performance would have me hesitate on that cartridge from them. Read some decent reports about their 5.56 and 6.5 rifles and barrels but most of the better reviews were their upper tier barrels and models. Read one horror story abut a factory built rifle on polymer lower. All with complaints said getting resonate from customer service was tough. Found a pile of satisfied customers as well so would say just do due diligence on the product your wanting and make sure it has good reviews if go that route.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 09:28   #5
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
OK for a low cost build. Old MMC company, (Moore's Machine Co.) lots of complaints, but they seem to have upped their game since renaming Bear Creek Arsenal. They sure do talk a good game.

It's the old "OK for the money" thing. All depends on what you want in terms of fit, finish, and accuracy. BCA isn't the best of anything, but may be plenty good 'nuff for a hunting, spare, back-up, truck, loaner gun.

I'd buy one for the right price, but like Huey, I am fond of those AR Precision barrels along with some Ballistic Advantage.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:31   #6
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
I got in on their Veteran's day freebie barrel last year. Built my cheapie lightweight 16" out of it. Not going to win any bullseye competitions with it but it will hold 2ish inches at 100yds. I'm doing that with open sights, M193, and aging eyes, I believe there is a bit better it could do with reloads and glass, I just have no reason to do those things to what is functionally a truck gun. I'll likely throw a PA red dot on it at some point to offset the old eyes issue, but as of now, about 500 rds in, it functions fine and does what I need it to.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 11:31   #7
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
I got in on their Veteran's day freebie barrel last year. Built my cheapie lightweight 16" out of it. Not going to win any bullseye competitions with it but it will hold 2ish inches at 100yds. I'm doing that with open sights, M193, and aging eyes, I believe there is a bit better it could do with reloads and glass, I just have no reason to do those things to what is functionally a truck gun. I'll likely throw a PA red dot on it at some point to offset the old eyes issue, but as of now, about 500 rds in, it functions fine and does what I need it to.

Was this the sale with the stainless 223 barrel and the KAK upper? That's the one I got in on I haven't shot it yet but I'm hoping it will shoot ok. I didn't use the KAK upper it rattled like baby rattle when you shook it.

Mark
oleblu72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 14:31   #8
GOVT1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 9433
Like someone already said, they're pretty much the old MMC. They're right down the road from me here at Bragg.

I built 3 rifles on their barrels and 2 shoot about average, but one of them was ALL over the place. Yes, I did my part in the build and trigger pulling, but it grouped like a shotgun at 100m.

I called and tried talking to them, but the guy I talked to swore up and down all their barrels were "match grade" and it was OBVIOUSLY the shooter. I tried telling him that using different rifles, with same ammo, side by side I was holding MOA with several but that one rifle using their barrel was grouping like 12" at 100m. He was kind of a dick, so I haven't been back to their site. (this was maybe a year ago?)
Old September 12, 2018, 17:47   #9
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOVT1911 View Post
Like someone already said, they're pretty much the old MMC. They're right down the road from me here at Bragg.

I built 3 rifles on their barrels and 2 shoot about average, but one of them was ALL over the place. Yes, I did my part in the build and trigger pulling, but it grouped like a shotgun at 100m.

I called and tried talking to them, but the guy I talked to swore up and down all their barrels were "match grade" and it was OBVIOUSLY the shooter. I tried telling him that using different rifles, with same ammo, side by side I was holding MOA with several but that one rifle using their barrel was grouping like 12" at 100m. He was kind of a dick, so I haven't been back to their site. (this was maybe a year ago?)
Thanks for the comments...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 18:20   #10
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339288

They are pure shit.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018, 18:26   #11
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
Thanks for all comments!!! PSA has a very similar upper for the same price and free shipping, plus, ten 5 star reviews. I sent them a question, probably order soon, thanks again!

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
Snake Bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 13:51   #12
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleblu72 View Post
Was this the sale with the stainless 223 barrel and the KAK upper? That's the one I got in on I haven't shot it yet but I'm hoping it will shoot ok. I didn't use the KAK upper it rattled like baby rattle when you shook it.

Mark
Nah, just the barrel, 16" parked, 1:9. They sell it at Primary Arms for under $100. Nothing special, but they did send it to a Vet, for free, with only proof of being a vet.

Do need to add a story about them from yesterday though...

I'm at work, have to order some parts from a piece of equipment here at the lab. I type "custo… into my email "to" box, see it comes up "customerservice@... and hit send. About a half hr later I get a return email saying "I think you sent this to the wrong place and wanted to be sure you got your order to where it was supposed to go." About the time I'm replying to the email thanking them for letting me know about my stupidity I then get a phone call from them wanting to be sure I had seen their response and that I had gotten my order to where it needs to go. The vendor I needed to send it to is also "customerservice@" but silly me didn't pay attention to what came up after that.

I have no idea if "customer service," especially when I wasn't even going to be their customer with that order, could get. Now I've got to spend money with them as a "thank you." Damn the luck... FORCED to start another build. FORCED I SAY!!!!!!
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 16:30   #13
cowbilly
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2908
I bought a 16" mid length from them for a plinker- shot like crap, 10-15 MOA at 100 yards- emailed them and they sent me a label and replaced the barrel with a new one. Have not had a chance to test the new barrel.
cowbilly is online now   Reply With Quote