The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old June 07, 2019, 18:24   #1
Dieudonne' Saive
Registered

FALaholic #: 82145
Ideal low-power setup?

Considering the advantages/disadvantages of the .308 FN FAL platform, has anyone "dialed-in" the best optic/ring/mount setup, using the "DMR" as the general metric of performance?

For example, what combination of parts will perform best for a DMR role?:

* Most repeatable top-cover mount (DSA, ARMS, etc).
* Good quality 30mm scope; Between 4 and 8x (~$300), fixed or variable
* Rear objective will clear the rear sight or top cover, and the eye relief is good
* Proper height rings, with the lowest possible height-over-bore for above setup.

Got pix?
Old June 07, 2019, 18:51   #2
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
I use a fixed 4 power scope with a BDC, makes it easy to nail plates at 400 yards. And that's on a bone stock Imbel rifle.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2019, 18:53   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
ARMs is better for me because I can strip it. Medium height Warne QD clear the rail. Lower is better but you have to grind the rail a tad for the eyepiece if you use the low Warne rings. I have a 3x8 ZA 5 Minox that cost about $275 but was discontinued thus why I got a decent deal. It's 30mm tube

1 9/16 eye piece. It sits in front of the rear sight and you don't notice. You need the eye relief somewhat of a dangerous game scope, which I think is fitting considering what it's designed for.

Warne publishes heights and center lines etc so you can look at the dims on the scope and compare to the rail and figure it out. I have 1.5-4x Leupy on another. But I hate the thick lines on the cross hairs.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2019, 21:54   #4
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Burris AR332 prism scope..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2019, 10:44   #5
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
How far you gonna be shootin'? Out East, you probably wouldn't get too many 300m. shots; out here, 600+ is easy to manage.

For an FAL, I think a 1-6x or 1-8x is ideal. Actually, I take my 1-4x-equipped AR's out to 600 regularly.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2019, 23:00   #6
Dieudonne' Saive
Registered

FALaholic #: 82145
600m max
Old June 11, 2019, 11:36   #7
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Leupold VX•R Patrol 1.25-4x20mm. Best low powered scopes I've used....costs more than $300, but worth it.
Old June 12, 2019, 00:15   #8
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
I put an old Leupold gold ring 3-9 on my FAL because it sits so low on the rail and because it was excellent quality for the money (read: "cheap").

Easily shot the 500 yard targets at the OK Run 'n' Gun with an StG kit on Imbel GL receiver, and had no problem shooting the close stuff at 3x.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2019, 19:00   #9
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
I put an old Leupold gold ring 3-9 on my FAL because it sits so low on the rail and because it was excellent quality for the money (read: "cheap").

Easily shot the 500 yard targets at the OK Run 'n' Gun with an StG kit on Imbel GL receiver, and had no problem shooting the close stuff at 3x.
I've got a 3x9x32 VX1 Leupold on my AR. It also works great.
Old June 16, 2019, 08:44   #10
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Iíve got a Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20mm BDC scope on my Para. Great scope for the buck.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote