Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old October 04, 2017, 05:19   #1
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Colt Python for under $3K

So I saw this auction (http://www.gunbroker.com/item/699248312) for a used Colt Python for 2.7K. And that reminded me of the thread here about people complaining that a Manurhin MR73 used for just under $1K was plain highway robbery and that revolver surely did not worth $3K new.
Old October 04, 2017, 10:50   #2
hueyville
Registered

FALaholic #: 74557
My lord, almost has me wanting to part with my snake guns but would defiantly go on list of guns regret selling. Colt wants out of their hole, start building modern snake guns to same standards of fit and finish as before.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2017, 19:34   #3
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
Very recently I saw a used 2.5 inch nickel Python without the box in a LGS at $3700 plus 7% sales tax. Totally out of line IMNSHO price wise but then there are people with more money than brains who will fork over that kind of scratch for something for their collection.

I own one Python. A 1975 production six inch blue model with the original grips in about 90 percent condition. According to my records I bought this snake a little over 30 years ago for $385 plus tax. Maybe I should test the water with an asking price of $2000 even though I don't think that it is worth that amount.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2017, 21:11   #4
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
... Colt wants out of their hole, start building modern snake guns to same standards of fit and finish as before.
I don't know. Colt stopped manufacturing Pythons in 2005 (IIRC) I assume because they just weren't selling. Can't see that anything would be different if manufacture was resumed. Maybe a revised gun that looked like a python but had S&W internals would work. Down to two Pythons now ... both out of time as most Pythons are that are actually used. Few know how to work on them. One of the last great Python smiths, Grant Cunningham has retired. Buy a 686.
D P Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2017, 03:17   #5
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
I owned a 6" Python. Beautiful gun, great to look at, but I just never bonded with it, didn't like the trigger. Never shot it much. Sold it.

I think the only allure to them is the looks, that ventilated rib on the barrel does look cool.

I'll stick with vintage Smith & Wesson though.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2017, 09:50   #6
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I like my old Python, a 1965 model in about 80% or so cosmetic condition. Yeah, the last owner actually carried and used it. I traded into it so am good on the money, even as just a shooter without the "snake" premium. But to be honest, I would just as soon shoot one of my Official Polices, Officer's Model, or 3-5-7. All of which have just as slick an action as the Python.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 07, 2017, 00:18   #7
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
the python is a work of art. $3000 is an insult. the nerve of some.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 07, 2017, 07:14   #8
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
I owned a 6" Python. Beautiful gun, great to look at, but I just never bonded with it, didn't like the trigger. Never shot it much. Sold it.

I think the only allure to them is the looks, that ventilated rib on the barrel does look cool.

I'll stick with vintage Smith & Wesson though.
Iíve always thought the Colt snake guns looked cheap. I prefer vintage S&Ws myself, particularly N-frames. While nothing like Python prices, older Smithís have skyrocketed in price as well. Hard to find a nice pinned and recessed 27 or 29 for under $800 these days.
Old October 07, 2017, 19:01   #9
hueyville
Registered

No factory American factory wheel gun that touches a Python for beauty and smoothness of action. I own more Smiths but they are work guns, Colts are works of art. That said the Dan Wesson swap barrel 357's and 44's in Vent Heavy configuration are nice looking and most accurate out of box if shooter sets up barrel/cylinder gap and barrel nut tension correctly. I have every flavor of most every classic wheel gun. Favorite Ruger is a single action flat top.

The most versitile, slickest action and accurate out of the box is a German Korth but were $2,000 in early 1980's an closing in on $10,000 each for basic model now. A high end with engraving can set you back over $20,000. Once wife fired her first Colt Diamondback in 38 she took them all. End table next to her recliner is a Diamondback with three speedloaders. Next to bed is the same. Told her going to cost me $1,000 in wear marks using like she does but doesn't care. She even took my first and second edition Colt Cobras. Learning to buy major power semiautomatic as she doesn't steal big pistols.

Agree that the best pistols it in U.S. retired but it's Jim Stroh and Jan 1 he hung it up. Said turned 70 and had vault full of pistols had built for himself and never had time to shoot so going to shoot them. Good for him, bad for me.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old October 07, 2017, 19:20   #10
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
I've owned a couple.

Traded off my last one a mid 70's 6" nicked when I realized I had a SELECTION of factory smith's with better triggers that shot better.

Still got a nice diamondback in the box, but that's a safe queen.

They stopped making them because they didn't sell as there were better guns for cheaper, and they won't start again because that's still the case.
Old October 08, 2017, 16:08   #11
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Pythons wear out too quick when you shoot them. The action locks at the hand and the bolt so when you shoot magnums the pressure is against the smallest parts of the gun. Before long the gun shoots out of time and nowdays you can't find a good smith to get your gun back in time. Colt doesn't work on them and you can't get parts easily. They are the high priced sports car of guns, beautiful and accurate plus rare but not made to shoot a bunch.

Much rather have a SAA, they have been around since 1873 and still beautiful and plenty of parts for them.
Old October 09, 2017, 20:12   #12
gunshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 77038
A Colt Trooper MK III is a better Gun. My Python is a nice shooter but I don't Run hot loads through it and My old Trooper is a nice gun and don't run hot loads through it either.

You gotta admit though they are nice handling pieces, and pretty to!
gunshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 01:45   #13
hueyville
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshooter View Post
A Colt Trooper MK III is a better Gun. My Python is a nice shooter but I don't Run hot loads through it and My old Trooper is a nice gun and don't run hot loads through it either.

You gotta admit though they are nice handling pieces, and pretty to!
Have 8 3/8" electroless nickle Colt Trooper that has slickest action on planet. I won't let but the most experienced shooters use it as single action is under two pound pull. It doesn't care if put over max loaded 180 grain JFP's for IHMSA or 140 grain 38's with light target charges. Eats them all and puts bullets exactly where shooter was aiming when sear broke.