Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 13, 2018, 13:05   #1
21HK
Registered

FALaholic #: 52556
Automotive question: battery/slow crank

I've got a 2004 Chevy Colorado.
AutoZone hooked up their battery/alternator tester and its showing that the battery is bad. The tester shows 12.6 volts with the vehicle not running, I'm not sure what the reading was when it was under load.

I came home and put a multi-meter on the battery and it's reading 12.6 not running, 14.7 running and about 13.5 running with lights, heater, and radio on.

If I have the vehicle off and turn on my hazard lights for more than a couple of minutes the truck is slow cranking. If I turn my headlights on for more than a few minutes with the vehicle off I'm sure it will drain the battery to the point it won't start.

So ....can the battery seem like it has a normal 12.6 reading when the vehicle is off and 14.7 when running but it's not putting out the cranking amps needed to the starter?

Any input will be appreciated, thanks!

...forgot to mention the battery post are clean and the cables have new clamps
21HK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 13:31   #2
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
Had a similar problem last week, had to jump the car to get it started. Battery was fully charged with 12.6 volts with no load and 13.2 volt engine running. Had battery tested, only 135 cold cranking amps (CCA) out of 600 CCA. Had to replace battery. Battery was 5 years old.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 13:38   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Certainly. If it can’t supply the power voltage doesn’t mean anything. Probably a bad cell. Get a new battery

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 13:39   #4
21HK
Registered

pl521, thanks for the reply, this gives me some sort of confirmation along the lines of what I was thinking.
The guy that hooked up the tester could only tell me what the screen read. When I asked about load and if it would affect the symptoms I was having he looked like a deer in headlights.

Thanks meltdown, that's where I'm headed.
Old October 13, 2018, 13:43   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I had one a few weeks ago that would drag the starter. Took it to AUto Zone. It was still under warranty and got a brand new battery after using the other for almost 4 years. Getting stranded because of a battery is a pet peeve.

Old October 13, 2018, 14:20   #6
jm7
Registered

FALaholic #: 52237
Sooner the better. GM CS series alternators have a tendency to kill themselves trying to charge a bad battery. Not a mechanic but I've been in the parts biz longer than I care to admit.
jm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 14:20   #7
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
something to consider....

if its a sealed batter, not much you can do. But if you have any access to the cells, keep an eye on the fluid level.

Then, if you dont drive that far, such as < 15 minutes and do it every day, you may not be driving long enough to charge your battery everytime.

also have the regulator cheched. Some of the alt have them built in.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 15:00   #8
Wil-C
Registered

FALaholic #: 17357
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21HK View Post
I've got a 2004 Chevy Colorado.
AutoZone hooked up their battery/alternator tester and its showing that the battery is bad. The tester shows 12.6 volts with the vehicle not running, I'm not sure what the reading was when it was under load.

I came home and put a multi-meter on the battery and it's reading 12.6 not running, 14.7 running and about 13.5 running with lights, heater, and radio on.

If I have the vehicle off and turn on my hazard lights for more than a couple of minutes the truck is slow cranking. If I turn my headlights on for more than a few minutes with the vehicle off I'm sure it will drain the battery to the point it won't start.

So ....can the battery seem like it has a normal 12.6 reading when the vehicle is off and 14.7 when running but it's not putting out the cranking amps needed to the starter?

Any input will be appreciated, thanks!

...forgot to mention the battery post are clean and the cables have new clamps
one cell on the battery is failing or failed. 12v on the battery charge is too low for a modern computer controlled car. It should read minimum 13v.
The higher reading when the car is running (14v) is the alternator output.
13 volts at the battery when running means the battery will not properly charge due to a failed or failing cell.
Old October 13, 2018, 15:40   #9
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
I am a professional automotive technician. The battery has a bad cell. Is it a sealed battery or can you access the cells? Check the cells if it is an unsealed unit. If any of them are low add distilled water. Another trick if you are stranded with a bad battery put an aspirin in each cell and jump it. The battery may then last long enough to get you home or to a shop.

Last edited by Raggedwhole!; October 13, 2018 at 15:56.
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 15:53   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I haven’t seen an unsealed battery over the past 10 years.

Old October 13, 2018, 15:55   #11
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I haven’t seen an unsealed battery in the last 10 years.
I have 5 of them in my shop right now. Brand new Interstate batteries. Good batteries.
Old October 13, 2018, 16:02   #12
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedwhole! View Post
I have 5 of them in my shop right now. Brand new Interstate batteries. Good batteries.
I’ve only bought AZ or NAPA Agreed if I had a real truck or something with a big engine and a winch or something it would get an Interstate. They ain’t cheap

Old October 13, 2018, 16:03   #13
21HK
Registered

Wow! thanks for all the replies and good info.

Yes it's a sealed battery, just finished replacing it and everything seems in order.
With the ignition off I turned on the lights, heater and radio and it starts right up with no hesitation.

Thanks again, appreciate it.
Old October 13, 2018, 16:35   #14
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:
I’ve only bought AZ or NAPA Agreed if I had a real truck or something with a big engine and a winch or something it would get an Interstate. They ain’t cheap
I work on German cars. If you can't afford an interstate battery get out of my shop. The car cost 40 to 100k new. Some of the batteries are in retarded places and are fairly difficult to replace. You also have keep voltage to all the computers while you change the battery in these newer turds or you can erase coding in modules. I don't sell cheap batteries. Keeps the riff raff lowballers out. Of couse I have worked on an older widow's car and discounted my labor and sold her the battery at my cost with no mark up.

Last edited by Raggedwhole!; October 13, 2018 at 16:40.
Old October 13, 2018, 16:36   #15
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21HK View Post
Wow! thanks for all the replies and good info.

Yes it's a sealed battery, just finished replacing it and everything seems in order.
With the ignition off I turned on the lights, heater and radio and it starts right up with no hesitation.

Thanks again, appreciate it.
Glad everything worked out for you.
Old October 13, 2018, 16:51   #16
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I work on German cars. If you can't afford an interstate battery get out of my shop. The car cost 40 to 100k new. Some of the batteries are in retarded places and are fairly difficult to replace. You also have keep voltage to all the computers while you change the battery in these newer turds or you can erase coding in modules. I don't sell cheap batteries. Keeps the riff raff lowballers out. Of couse I have worked on an older widow's car and discounted my labor and sold her the battery at my cost with no mark up.
That voltage thing to the computers is not cool. Every computer needs rebooting at times. Unfortunately I’m the riff raff. I’ll pay you the shop fee to diagnose and take it home to fix myself. I replaced my wife’s little 2006 Lexus SUV’s suspension, steering rack, CVs, everything including the timing belt. Drives better than when she bought it with 85k. And no more oil spots
Rolling up on 210k now. My G37 is sitting on 230k

Old October 13, 2018, 17:07   #17
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
The battery in my 2015 Jeep started getting tired a little after two years. Left me stranded out on an outing after having the radio on while parked for a bit. Luckily a person was handy to jump start me and save the day. Ended up replacing it at first opportunity. Never cared much for getting stranded and like an unreliable battery even less. Especially now that I'm older and less agile.

I think car companies put the lowest, cheapest units in their products just to get them out the door. But the real sin would be to replace it with the same low quality stuff.
Uriah Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 17:24   #18
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee View Post
The battery in my 2015 Jeep started getting tired a little after two years. Left me stranded out on an outing after having the radio on while parked for a bit. Luckily a person was handy to jump start me and save the day. Ended up replacing it at first opportunity. Never cared much for getting stranded and like an unreliable battery even less. Especially now that I'm older and less agile.

I think car companies put the lowest, cheapest units in their products just to get them out the door. But the real sin would be to replace it with the same low quality stuff.
Well if you remember back in the day you turned the backwards for accessory mode. I am amazed at how much the newer cars will drain a battery. My wife was just sitting there listening to the radio in my infinity while I was gone for 30 minutes and had to get jumped

Old October 13, 2018, 17:31   #19
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:
That voltage thing to the computers is not cool. Every computer needs rebooting at times. Unfortunately I’m the riff raff. I’ll pay you the shop fee to diagnose and take it home to fix myself. I replaced my wife’s little 2006 Lexus SUV’s suspension, steering rack, CVs, everything including the timing belt. Drives better than when she bought it with 85k. And no more oil spots
Rolling up on 210k now. My G37 is sitting on 230k
That is not you being riff raff. I charge a diagnostic fee that I remove from the final bill shall a customer choose to make the repair. (Situations arise where I cannot do this, some electrical problems, etc.) As far as rebooting, not so simple. Newer cars have control modules, computers where once you remove the voltage the programming is completely deleted. Last week I had a customer that replaced the battery in a 2015 BMW without supplying voltage. I have a 3 month old scanner that just got a $100 update. It is fast and it took 15 minutes to erase all the codes that got flagged. Over a hundred easy. I then had to recode the modules for the ABS, for the transfer case(awd vehicle), airbags and a few others I can't recall. The vehicle would run in limp mode after he changed the battery and before I recoded the modules.
Old October 13, 2018, 17:32   #20
Uriah Lee
Registered

That computer sucks it up. Same with bluetooth and all that whiz-bang electronic stuff that makes our lives better. The Jeep handled a bit of tunes beforehand without incident. Then one day the battery just got too tired for that noise.

Looking back, it seems life was better with analog controls and 12 valve diesels.
Old October 13, 2018, 17:38   #21
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
That computer sucks it up. Same with bluetooth and all that whiz-bang electronic stuff that makes our lives better. The Jeep handled a bit of tunes beforehand without incident. Then one day the battery just got too tired for that noise.

Looking back, it seems life was better with analog controls and 12 valve diesels.
I wish I would have been a little older and had the need for 100 octane leaded gas. I was a kid in the 60s and got to finally get a 70s pos car new. A V6 Firebird. It sure looked fast but wouldn’t pull a fart out a dead man’s ass

Old October 13, 2018, 18:54   #22
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:

Electronics are a beautiful thng. The problem is the manufacturers take it to any extreme. They are trying to lock out the independent shops and they are putting ten pounds of poop into a five lb bag. I'm selling my business. I am tired of all the aged brittle plastic. My SO recently passed and she was very supportive, would bring me lunch, spend an hour resetting and recoding electronics. Without her support I am just tired of the junk. I have an open offer to go down to the refinery and weld pipe for good money. I own my business outright. But I am tired of the taxes(I live in PA but my business is in New Germany) the overhead, I am stocked with tools. I have a good mig welder, hydraulic press, drill press, etc, etc, but there is always another special tool. I go to the refinery, leave my brain in the car. Measure end to end, end to center, deck to bottom of clevis hanger. Lay out the pipe hangers, weld big pieces of pipe and then wait for them to get Xrayed. The pace is slow, everything is about safety and human interaction and stress is very minimal.
Old October 13, 2018, 19:24   #23
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
In my limited experience, you need at least 12.8 volts, and, Autozone batteries are crap.

I've gone with Duracell batteries from Sam's club and they've been working like a champ.

The one Autozone batter I got crapped out 2 months after the 1 year warranty, dead as a doorstop. Wasn't the car, it was the battery.

Best battery I had was whatever came stock on my 2003 Dodge. I think it withstood 11 years in the brutal Illinois conditions.
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 20:05   #24
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
In my limited experience, you need at least 12.8 volts, and, Autozone batteries are crap.

I've gone with Duracell batteries from Sam's club and they've been working like a champ.

The one Autozone batter I got crapped out 2 months after the 1 year warranty, dead as a doorstop. Wasn't the car, it was the battery.

Best battery I had was whatever came stock on my 2003 Dodge. I think it withstood 11 years in the brutal Illinois conditions.
Your Dodge battery was made by exide. They also make interstate and ac delco. Your Duracell is probably made by exide. Same battery different branding if my memory serves me correctly. 12 volts is fine. 13.1 charging in an automotive application.

Last edited by Raggedwhole!; October 13, 2018 at 20:17.
Old October 13, 2018, 20:10   #25
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Electronics are a beautiful thng. The problem is the manufacturers take it to any extreme. They are trying to lock out the independent shops and they are putting ten pounds of poop into a five lb bag. I'm selling my business. I am tired of all the aged brittle plastic. My SO recently passed and she was very supportive, would bring me lunch, spend an hour resetting and recoding electronics. Without her support I am just tired of the junk. I have an open offer to go down to the refinery and weld pipe for good money. I own my business outright. But I am tired of the taxes(I live in PA but my business is in New Germany) the overhead, I am stocked with tools. I have a good mig welder, hydraulic press, drill press, etc, etc, but there is always another special tool. I go to the refinery, leave my brain in the car. Measure end to end, end to center, deck to bottom of clevis hanger. Lay out the pipe hangers, weld big pieces of pipe and then wait for them to get Xrayed. The pace is slow, everything is about safety and human interaction and stress is very minimal.
I do not blame you a bit, I had a Heavy Equipment repair business for 20+ years and finally gave up and signed on with a large farming outfit... Man do I sleep well now.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your significant other. I don't know how I could handle that and run a business too.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 20:23   #26
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v71 View Post
I do not blame you a bit, I had a Heavy Equipment repair business for 20+ years and finally gave up and signed on with a large farming outfit... Man do I sleep well now.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your significant other. I don't know how I could handle that and run a business too.
Thank you. Your a true gentleman. I appreciate your thoughts. I threw all my energy into the business to distract myself from the pain but I just can't stand it anymore. I can do it. I just hate it anymore.
Old October 13, 2018, 20:31   #27
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Thank you. Your a true gentleman. I appreciate your thoughts. I threw all my energy into the business to distract myself from the pain but I just can't stand it anymore. I can do it. I just hate it anymore.
In '08 I went through a nasty divorce and almost hung it up then. But like you said, hard work was my distraction too. But I finally reached the point that the taxes, insurance, and other regulatory BS was too much for a one man show out of a CDL truck. It's just crazy that we make money for the state and fed government and they really don't care that we need to make a living too.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 20:36   #28
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v71 View Post
In '08 I went through a nasty divorce and almost hung it up then. But like you said, hard work was my distraction too. But I finally reached the point that the taxes, insurance, and other regulatory BS was too much for a one man show out of a CDL truck. It's just crazy that we make money for the state and fed government and they really don't care that we need to make a living too.
Nope. The bastards just keep thier hands out. I'm happy for you that your in a better place now. God bless you. I will get there soon. I have a solid offer for the business.
Old October 13, 2018, 20:37   #29
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Quote:
I am a professional automotive technician. .. Another trick if you are stranded with a bad battery put an aspirin in each cell and jump it. The battery may then last long enough to get you home or to a shop.
Aspirin, the Wonder Drug!
Old October 13, 2018, 20:52   #30
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16313
Quote:
I bought an Isuzu Hombre (aka Chevy S-10) new in 1997. 366 days later, I needed a new battery. I got up on a Saturday morning to go somewhere and got into the truck. I didn't pay attention that the dome light wasn't on and the door dinger didn't ding when I put the key in with the door open. Push the clutch, turn the key, and nothing. Popped the hood and checked the battery - the positive lead was laying in the tray. The entire positive side post had fallen off. I called the Isuzu dealer and was told that my truck that had a 10 year, 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty would need a battery out of my pocket. I thought they were messing with me so I called the closest Chevy dealer since it had an AC Delco battery in it. They told me batteries only have a one year warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

The battery I put in my Isuzu in 1998 was an Auto Zone Duralast Gold. It lived in Florida heat, Maine cold, and when I dropped a small block Chevy in it later (back in FL), it started that, too. In 2006 (in Michigan), I put that battery into my sister-in-law's car when I sold it for her.

Quote:
Your Dodge battery was made by exide. They also make interstate and ac delco. Your Duracell is probably made by exide. Same battery different branding if my memory serves me correctly. 12 volts is fine. 13.1 charging in an automotive application.
We have a battery manufacturer as a customer where I work. I asked who made batteries for who and he said the contracts get renegotiated every few years. I had an AZ Duralast Gold battery fail after only 2.5 years a couple of years back, so it got replaced under warranty. My most recent battery purchase was from Wally World for my wife's Kia. Same warranty as AZ but $60 cheaper. Maybe AZ's battery supplier switched from my first couple of experiences with them.
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 21:19   #31
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Quote:
Sorry for your loss, man. That sux huge.
I have my own business in North Texas, a transmission shop, and I bought out my partner a while back. Now, it’s my wife who supports me full time with help with the books, to lunch, to parts running in between her regular career.

It’s changed much in the last few years. It used to be a handshake would seal a deal, I had a reputation as trustworthy and people just dropped off their keys and said “fix it”.
Now with the influx of outsiders, things have changed. No more trust. Folks come in unhappy, and grind you for every nickel.
Then there’s the “value added”. The “New Texans” all have an angle. There’s always some “...ever since you replaced my tailight bulb, my A/C belt squeaks”, etc.

I’ll do 9 more years, then sell and retire.
Old October 13, 2018, 21:19   #32
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 21:27   #33
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018, 07:58   #34
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Cya, The Wally world batteries are good quality in my experience. I tend to focus on higher end customers so I install a battery with brand recognition. Plus my Interstate rep will replace any battery no questions asked. The failure rate is almost nonexistent. He delivers , my cost is good and the markup is the same everywhere. I have had lowballers google the price of the battery I sell them. I tell them to get the f... out of my shop and go to Wally world. Then when their car shows up on a flatbed because they didn't keep voltage supplied during the swap it sits for three days on my lot. Then I hammer them for recoding.
Old October 14, 2018, 08:20   #35
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
Sorry for your loss, man. That sux huge.
I have my own business in North Texas, a transmission shop, and I bought out my partner a while back. Now, it’s my wife who supports me full time with help with the books, to lunch, to parts running in between her regular career.

It’s changed much in the last few years. It used to be a handshake would seal a deal, I had a reputation as trustworthy and people just dropped off their keys and said “fix it”.
Now with the influx of outsiders, things have changed. No more trust. Folks come in unhappy, and grind you for every nickel.
Then there’s the “value added”. The “New Texans” all have an angle. There’s always some “...ever since you replaced my tailight bulb, my A/C belt squeaks”, etc.

I’ll do 9 more years, then sell and retire.
I have a good reputation and customer base. Of course there is always the brother that comes in with a 10-15 year old BMW or Mercedes-Benz with a V8 or V12 that cost a 100k brand new. He can't comprehend why it is going to cost $1,000 or $2,000 to fix his laundry list of issues. Then like you said there are always the people trying to work the angle. I throw them out. I will work with a long term customer that I have developed a relationship with. But don't walk into my shop fresh of the street and try to beat me up on the price. You know this business. The guys that are rip offs, hucksters don't last long.
Old October 14, 2018, 10:31   #36
jm7
Registered

FALaholic #: 52237
Interstate is a division of JCI(Johnson Controls). JCI makes batteries for Advance, Autozone, Wal-Mart, and a host of others. Their main plant is in Monterrey, Mexico. NAPA batteries east of the Mississippi are made by DEKA/East Penn manufacturing in the USA. West of the Mississippi by JCI. I'll take a DEKA/East Penn over any JCI battery. As for newer high end BMW, Mercedes, etc...Many require AGM/Glass matt batteries. Trying to use a lead acid battery in these applications because it's cheaper will cause you electrical and charging problems big time.
jm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018, 11:27   #37
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
I wish I would have been a little older and had the need for 100 octane leaded gas. I was a kid in the 60s and got to finally get a 70s pos car new. A V6 Firebird. It sure looked fast but wouldn’t pull a fart out a dead man’s ass
You were lucky. I got a 1970 Gremlin. 199ci 1 barrel straight six, 3 on the column. Some how the girls thought it was neat looking but the guys including me were embarrassed to be seen with it. Mirrored tint took care of my privacy.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018, 12:00   #38
Uriah Lee
Registered

Used an Optima Red Top as a replacement for the factory issue in '95 Jeep Wrangler. That thing gave up the ghost after less than two years! Damn, that Jeep was a rough ride. First Optima that ever went away like that. Nothing is forever or totally bulletproof.

By the way, Raggedwhole, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I can understand the hole an event of that magnitude leaves in a person's being. I buried my mother just last year after losing the battle with cancer. Be strong and stay in the fight.
Old October 14, 2018, 15:59   #39
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...10&postcount=1
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018, 16:26   #40
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
My rarely-driven "fire wood getter" F150 started slowly cranking the other day so I swung it by Auto Zone to have them check the battery. Kid said it was low but they would have to charge it to really check. I told him to just put a new one in as I thought the current one was pretty old. Kid took it out and said "I have never seen one that old"! It was over 8 years old. I got my goodie out of that one.

Long-ago-a-time I had an after High School job at a local battery store while my buds were at burger joints. They learned how to flip burgers, mop floors, and ask "you want fries with that"? I learned life is far to short to be messing around with a sick battery in your ride.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote