The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 10, 2018, 16:32   #1
Itchingforaninchpattern
Registered

FALaholic #: 17687
Funeral urn from shell case: Anyone make them?

A friend has asked me if there is an artisan or business in the U.S. that converts shell casings into funeral urns. He has a buddy that wants to convert the shell casing used during his father's funeral into an urn. I will say that I am guessing that he has an artillery case as opposed to a small arms case, but I am waiting for clarification from them on the type.
Is there a FALFiles member that knows/recommends a craftsman or business that offers such a product or service?
Thank you for any help on this.
Itchingforaninchpattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 16:53   #2
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
With the only close friend I had who was cremated and I actually saw the ashes, they came in a sealed bag inside a narrow cardboard box. The box was a bit longer and narrower than a USPS flat rate box IIRC, but roughly that size.

Her favorite place in the world was the Gulf beaches and fishing in the Gulf, so the family later scattered her ashes in the Gulf from a private charter fishing boat.

My point of that is, I would assume your friend can legally put the ashes into whatever container they wanted to use and keep it wherever they like. I suppose this could vary by state or locality, but I have no idea about that.

My mental image of what you are seeking would be to put the ashes into an artillery shell and make a suitable plug that could be sealed inside over the ashes. Maybe a wooden plug made from something important or significant to the deceased? (but sealed-up of course)

Leave the top open, or better yet, insert a dummy projectile would make it look more "finished". Have something appropriate engraved on it. My two cents anyway and I hope that helps.
Old October 10, 2018, 16:59   #3
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Google "trench art"

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 17:32   #4
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
My mental image of what you are seeking would be to put the ashes into an artillery shell and make a suitable plug that could be sealed inside over the ashes. Maybe a wooden plug made from something important or significant to the deceased? (but sealed-up of course)

Leave the top open, or better yet, insert a dummy projectile would make it look more "finished". Have something appropriate engraved on it. My two cents anyway and I hope that helps.

This...

We have a couple fine woodworkers on the boards, I bet Yellowhand could handle something like this. A trophy shop should be able to easily handle the engraving. Could be mounted on a nice wood base and a plaque added. Lot's of possibilities on this.

To answer the original question....I wasn't able to find anything on a quick web search ...my google-fu may be off today.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 18:22   #5
Zimm
Registered

FALaholic #: 76302
If he's (or she) religious,engrave "in case of rapture open case "
My fil was cremated and buried at the state military cemetery and the box was a small plastic one ,we transferred (read me) him to an actual urn for burial
That would have been a great idea to use .wonder what the soldiers doing the burial would have said
Zimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 19:17   #6
Growler Gator
Registered

FALaholic #: 17677
My grandfather was a USMC artillery mechanic in the Pacific at the end of WWII.

When I was about 10 years old I stopped by an antique store with my father. They had a WWII 37mm anti-tank shell with a wooden projectile on it for sale. I bought it for $10. When I got home my grandfather said he had an original unfired solid steel projectle for it. He removed the wooden projectile and found that the shell was loaded with propellant. The primer was unstruck. He took it to the State Police and they blew it up.

Being 10 I was pissed that I was out $10 and a cool shell, so my grandfather bough me a nice brass 105mm howiter shell dated 1945. I had it in a shelf for many years...until he decided he wanted to be buried in it.

He took it to a local metal shop and they welded or soldered a steel cap on the top with a threaded plug. They added 2 simple handles to the side and a small metal plaque engarved with his identifying information. He set asides 1 set of dogtags to be added to his ashes.

I don’t have any pictures. Its been in the ground 18 years now.
Old October 10, 2018, 19:19   #7
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking...for_my_father/
~ss
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew

юродивый
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 19:27   #8
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
Holy Smoke Inc~ss
http://www.myholysmoke.com/
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew

юродивый
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018, 16:11   #9
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
It sounds like you don't have a lot of brass to work with.

Brass spinning might work if you can get the cases reformed into a mass and softened.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018, 07:39   #10
OMR_RDTandE
Low Speed, High Drag
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4827
Have him find a local chapter of the American Association of Woodturners (AAW). Turning a wooden projectile for the brass case isn't a complicated project and the fee would be nominal or free. https://www.woodturner.org/page/Chapters

The rulebook is the last refuge of the incompetent. (With apologies to Isaac Asimov)
OMR_RDTandE is offline   Reply With Quote