Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old September 24, 2018, 18:59   #1
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
10mm model 40

So after drooling over the Glock 10mm model 40 ever since they first came out I finally picked one up at the local fun shop.

Took it out this afternoon and sighted it in, a little right and up put it on center. Tried three different brands of ammo all 180 grain shot to the same point of aim. I had expected a little more recoil but it was much less than anticipated. The Federal Premium was noticeably a stouter load but not near like I thought it would be.

It was obvious I need to practice but I was still satisfied with the results. If one does not practice regularly one hole groups are only wishful thinking. So some practice with my model 34 in 9mm should get me tuned up.

I like the extended sight radius and the front weight is not bad either. Unlike the 34 the slide of the 40 does not have that large cutout behind the front sight which I like, less chance of getting debris into the inner slide/barrel area.

Probably the biggest reason for not getting one earlier was I was just not real keen on a new caliber and all that entails. The Glocks I have have had their barrels replaced with KKM barrels which have all worked out quite well for me.
So so far,
New KKM barrel
Extended slide stop
Butt plug for the heal
Holster
Set of 10mm dies
One thousand rounds of Star Line brass
1200 180 grain Hornady XTP bullets
On top of the cost of the pistol that is a significant investment.

According to my Edition 10 Hornady reloading manual Blue dot looks like the thingamabob that does the job with 180 and other weight bullets. I have a decent supply of Blue Dot so that works out well.
Velocity still goes to the .357 magnum by 200 FPS with a 180 grain bullet but the .357 data is with a 8 inch Barreled Colt Python revolver while the data for the 10mm is with a Colt Deta Elite with a five inch barrel. The 1 inch longer 6 inch barrel than the Delta Elite should help close that velocity gap a bit.

As far as using the 10mm as a defense against Yogy I think I will stick with a suitable rifle. In a pinch the 10mm would be enough to save your life if Yogy got ugly. I am thinking I would not count on or bet my life on it’s ability to be a determined Bear stopper. As for a bear stopper I would want no less than a .44 Remington Magnum with heavy bullets.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.

Last edited by Sagerider; September 24, 2018 at 19:07.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2018, 19:07   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I wholeheartedly agree regarding the .44 Magnum as a Jellystone Park gun for Yogi but beware the cult of 10mm Bear hunters that regularly associate the 10mm Auto with irate bears.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2018, 20:06   #3
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Where I live in Montana the bear population seems to be on the rise and spreading out into my area. Griz sightings in the Bridger and Crazy mountains have been on the upswing. I personally have a confirmed sighting a few miles north of my home while headed to Canyon Ferry Lake to go fishing earlier this summer. I remember seeing some guys out gopher shooting on one trip north then the next couple of days later a big fat Griz was cleaning up on the gopher buffet. This was not in the mountains but down in the Shields River Valley on the way to White Sulfer Springs.
I have no desire whatsoever to play with bears. They are just fine roaming around doing their bear thing unmolested. I have seen bear sign and black bears around the house from time to time but they high tail it when they get noticed by people. I was having breakfast over at the next door neighbors one morning and a super cute yearling went strolling by just down the hill from us. One of the other neighbors saw him first and remarked, “Is that a dog”? Nope, a fat little roley poley brown phase black bear. He heard us talking and took off looking over his shoulder at us as he went. His fur was beautifully thick and rippled like ripe grain as he ran.

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Old September 24, 2018, 21:46   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I have been working on a 10mm load useing 165 gold dot hollow point that feeds well but need to try different powders. Too much flash and blast right now.

Useing HS6 for powder and it's a good load for accuracy.

Last edited by Bawana jim; September 24, 2018 at 21:51.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 02:43   #5
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Have you tried Blue Dot? That is what I am thinking of starting with.

Old September 25, 2018, 04:10   #6
TXMoose
Registered

FALaholic #: 73164
I've been playing with 9.2gr Longshot under 180gr HAP or XTP in a Delta Elite

I don't chrono but that load works well for me & no brass issues
TXMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 09:35   #7
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I still say they need to club whoever named the 10mm Glock the model fotay.

I know the guy who designed the first Glock had no prior engineering experience designing guns, but waddindafugk wid da fotay 10mm?

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 09:37   #8
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
Consider an aftermarket trigger, I love my apex and Lone wolf triggers. Get the full kit with the polished plunger. Night and day difference in the trigger. For a barrel, I have found he lonewolf Alpha wolf barrels to be extremely accurate and you can use for hard cast lead 220s for yogi. Personally an 10mm will only anger a griz, but should be ok for a black. 460 S&W with heavy hard casts in my minimum for griz.

ďThe only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothingĒ Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 09:54   #9
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
Have you tried Blue Dot? That is what I am thinking of starting with.
My 10mm is short barrel so I used HS6 because it burns faster than Blue dot. Blue dot is a great powder for magnum loads and long barrels but the model 29 I am working with is pretty short. Plus I like a little lighter bullet than the 180 for a defense load out of the short gun.
Old September 25, 2018, 11:15   #10
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

That makes sense. I need to get my chronograph up and working again after hitting one of the uprights and destroying the front screen last time I used it.

Old September 25, 2018, 11:30   #11
Bawana jim
Registered

I build a load for the gun, if I had a model 40 the load would be different. That long barrel is made for power in my opinion and heavier bullets would be my choice. It's a science to me but I like to get the best out of the guns I own.

Does your model 40 have the red dot sight?
Old September 25, 2018, 11:38   #12
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
135 Speer hollowpoints are a bloody riot through my bro's G29. Even the 220's in that pistol are easy to handle. Pretty sure we use Accurate #9. 10mm kicks ass. Very versatile cartridge.

As much as I want a G40, I think a 20 would be a lot more practical (but I'll still probably end up with a G40.).

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 13:47   #13
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I need to move back to AZ so I can actually SHOOT my handguns. Really miss going camping and shooting, or just going out in the desert and plink away.

I have a 1995 G20 I bought in AZ, and a G20SF I picked up a couple of years ago for a song. Would love a G40, if one fell in my lap for a good price I would snap it up.

The G20 went to South Africa with me a couple of times, I was happy to have it when we went walking next to a river known for angry and aggressive hippos..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 14:12   #14
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

I am looking at the Trigicon red dot but they think a whole lot of it. Eventually I will most likely get one. Always on, battery replacement requires removing the sight and re-zero, sort of a pain but the battery is supposed to last a long time if you keep it in the dark like in the safe.

Old September 25, 2018, 14:22   #15
Bawana jim
Registered

Let us know if the red dot holds up to the pounding of a 10mm.
Old September 25, 2018, 16:06   #16
ratas calientes
Registered

FALaholic #: 1841
Has anyone here discussed this story?

NM man stops bear with 10mm . . .

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...k-10mm-pistol/
Old September 25, 2018, 19:40   #17
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I bought G41 MOS last year and like it a lot, but the G40 calls me. I have an old G20 I don't shoot much and don't like the feel of but really want to like it. I need to find somebody with a G20SF I can shoot and see how I like it. I do really like the slim slide on the G41 though and the Gen4 frame does feel better to me than any other bog Glock I have handled.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 22:44   #18
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Rat Master,
That is one hell of a story!
I will not be playing with bears.
I did run into a mama black bear and her cub one day while goofing off not paying attention. I saw a black streak and the little paws going up a nearby tree. Then I saw mom. Big beautiful black shiny fur ball snapping her jaws to warn me to get back which I did post haste. I did not run but backed away slowly the same way I had come. I told her she was beautiful and I ment no harm and would be leaving now. I had my Dutch 8mm Mauser carbine with me so not scared but respectful. After I cleared the small rise I turned and moved off smartly but not running. One of my favorite interspecies experiences.
Momma bear was actually pretty chilled about it altogether I thought.

I did order an Ultimate Pyramid Trigger from the Glock Store today, $249.00. I think I need to talk to someone before I order the Trigicon though.

Last edited by Sagerider; September 26, 2018 at 02:35.
Old September 27, 2018, 11:20   #19
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820

my g40
spider991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 23:52   #20
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

So, I called the Glock Store and got the low down on what I wanted as far as sights and triggers.
I got the Vortex, 6 red dot, Vortex Venom for the Glock 40. I also picked up two more triggers but not the high zoot ones. These are Pyramid too but just don’t have the adjustable reset and over travel screws.
Now it is sit and wait.

Last edited by Sagerider; September 30, 2018 at 20:32.
Old September 28, 2018, 22:50   #21
spider991
Registered

mine above is sock, shoots like a champ with every ammo...except for the ceracote job..my buddy was starting to ceracote and said"man i need a gun to practice on.." ok, here is my glock..he did a great job.
Old September 29, 2018, 11:47   #22
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
That G40 and that longer barrel looks like it will be a pretty good shooter. My foray into the Glock 10mm realm was a G29. Cute little rascal. Even with hot loads it was entirely controllable. However, discharging within the confines of a room or automobile would be akin to a flash bang going off.

Pyramid triggers in my Glocks worked very well. Much improvement over factory. The little red dingus in the middle of the trigger did begin to bite my finger after a bit. But overall worked quite well.

Red dots on a 10mm slide take a beating. Even on the heavy slide of a Tanfo Witness.Trijicon RMR is bulletproof but a little wider and more expensive than other choices. The Vortex liked to turn itself off after a few rounds. Apparantly it didn't like it that much. Good warranty service from Vortex, though. Never could get used to the idea of optics on a handgun. My astigmatism made the dot appear very indestinct: more like road kill. So now I'm back to a naked slide and blurry front sight.

Good luck on your new endever. I'm anxious to read of your experience.

By the way. Those red dot sight bases have locating dowels that register with the sight. So when they come off for a battery change they can't be too far off. We ain't talking about bench rest shooting here.

Last edited by Uriah Lee; September 29, 2018 at 11:55.
Uriah Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2018, 20:35   #23
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Here is some entertainment for yíall.
Say what you want but Hickok can shoot a pistola.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lwGrpePCYeI

Old September 30, 2018, 23:44   #24
Bawana jim
Registered

Wow, looked at Buds guns and they sell for well over $700. If I end up with one it will be after the new is worn off of the model and the price drops some. Congrats on getting one and it looks fun. However can we expect a video of you shooting like Hickok did?
Old October 01, 2018, 00:24   #25
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

We shall see óó- lol

Old October 02, 2018, 14:02   #26
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Well, the KKM barrel showed up and functions perfectly as expected. Groups appear tighter which I also expected with cast lead boolets. Still waiting for the trigger and red dot sight to show up.
The dies and shell holder have arrive so I will be putting components together over the next few days.

I am having a personal issue with my performance however. I got a thing going where I am shooting to the left, from a rest same thing. I know it is not the pistol because I can tell when I do good and donít flinch the bullets hit dead center. I can also tell it is me because it is the same with every pistol I own.

Old October 02, 2018, 20:37   #27
Bawana jim
Registered

There used to be a diagram that tells you what you are doing wrong to shoot to the left, it looked like a target and I can't find it. It's my opinion that it's probably trigger finger placement that makes you shoot to the left.

Are you useing your good eye when you shoot? yes I am messing with you.
Old October 02, 2018, 22:51   #28
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

I got it!
Canít download it, crap.
Being internet ignorant is easy.

Old October 03, 2018, 16:52   #29
Bawana jim
Registered

Dillions blue press has a good write up on your gun in this November issue.
Old October 04, 2018, 13:26   #30
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Thanks, just read it.
Looking like I will be needing the suppressor hight sights but we will see when the Vortex Venom gets here, I am expecting it any day now. I need to go to town to get some milk today so weíll see what the mail lady stuffed in my box.
I hope the Pyramid trigger is there too.

Old October 05, 2018, 11:49   #31
Bawana jim
Registered

Probably sounds dumb but I buy a gun to shoot a particular round. My Glock 29 I bought for the 165 grain hollow point because I feel it's the best compromise in the caliber. However after spending time with the gun and load I find its like a short 357 magnum with about the same blast and recoil. Not a gun for indoors.

I think you made a better choice by going to the model 40. From all I read and videos I have watched it looks like the 10mm in its best form. Let us know what weight bullet gives the best accuracy if you don't mind.

Thanks
Jim
Old October 05, 2018, 16:30   #32
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

At the moment I have stocked up on 180 grain hollow points, Nosler and Hornady. I am going for the velocity and power of the 10mm. According to my Hornady manual #14 I can push a 180 grain hollow point or FMJ to very close to 1300 FPS. The advantage with the 10mm in an auto pistol is I have 15 or 16 chances to hit or miss over a revolver. I can shoot a revolver quite well for an old guy but have some learning to do with auto pistols.
I had a Grizzly, .45 auto format, in both .357 and .45 Win Mag. The grip was huge front to rear and it was heavy as hell too. I thought about a Coonan in .357 but the long grip issue for less than Paul Bunyan hands is problematic like the Grizzly. I like revolvers but they are inherently large and round count limited.
The Glock model 20 or model 40 is a compromise but their attributes put them in first place. Thin, light, 15/16 rounds at the ready, fast reloads compared to a .357 or .44 magnum. I like the .44 magnum for multiple reasons other than just plain fun to shoot. Not a huge fan of the .357 due to the extremely sharp report that kills your ears if you shoot it without ear protection. I have not tried the 10mm yet. Last time I shot a .357 without muffs my ears rang for two days, I will never forget that. Shooting a .41 magnum inside a vehicle out the passenger window from the drivers seat is not recommended either.
I had a S&W N frame 3 inch barrel in .41 magnum that was an incredible shooter and I am sorry I traded it off. If I could get it back I would jump on it.

Last edited by Sagerider; October 05, 2018 at 16:44.
Old October 05, 2018, 20:52   #33
Bawana jim
Registered

I kinda consider what is the best vehicle for the cartridge but heck you have to buy it and try it to see if you like it. My first 10mm was a Colt Delta Elite in stainless and I really like it. After shooting it a while it really grew on me but god knows a man has two hands so a gun for each in whatever caliber is important. The glock 29 was refered to me by several people and they were right. It shoots real flat for a small gun and is not hard to control but the blast rocks the entire she'd when I shoot.

I have a 629 44 mag but don't load it hot, I do a factory duplication load out of the Lyman loading manual. 240 jhp

My 357 is a model 28 for the 158 grain jhp loaded to factory duplication out of the same manual.

Those are my power guns but like you said the 40 is powerful and magazine fed so you have good reasoning in your choice. I have all the loading gear for 10mm so you convinced me I need the 40 Now I just shop for one at a good price.

Some of you guys cost me too much money.
Old October 06, 2018, 20:40   #34
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

The Pyramid triggers showed up today!
Wasting no time I installed the ultimate unit in the Model 40. I used the 2lb striker spring provided with the kit. I figured I would try the lightest first just to compare with the stock spring.

No finger tip bite as I experience with the stock Glock triggers. Yea!
Noticeably lighter trigger pull required as expected. I chose the red safety on a black trigger for the model 40.

Interesting side note the groups have shifted to the right. Remember I was having a problem with grouping to the left? I had moved the rear sight to the right to bring my groups where I wanted them to point of where I wanted them to hit. I am thinking with the better trigger the grouping is more true to the sights now. So, that means I will need to center my rear sight up back to the left, I like that. I still have a really bad flinch but I know it so I can overcome it with effort. When I do the right things the pistol shoots very well. I know it is me that is screwing the groups up so I need to practice obviously.

Jim,
I used to love spending other people’s money but not so much anymore. So I am giving you the straight story. The model 40 is nice, real nice. Big, thick and heavy relatively speaking. Defiantly lighter than my S&W 629 in .44 magnum with a 6 inch barrel. Recoil with the model 40 is moderate even with the hotter Federal Premium rounds. I really like this new trigger! Not a huge improvement but a real noticeable improvement. Worth the $250.00 in my opinion. The standard pyramid triggers should be fine with the only difference being the reset and over travel adjustment screws they advise you not to mess with and the lighter striker. You can save $75.00 by going with the standard units.

So far so good!

Oopsey! One of the standard triggers is not functioning very well as in not acceptable, going back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 89CBDE4C-BB8A-477A-AB6A-82BD74A2FA67.jpeg (25.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg C3E80F25-018B-481F-8668-1AF8B90C0821.jpeg (35.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Sagerider; October 06, 2018 at 23:00.
Old October 07, 2018, 00:38   #35
Bawana jim
Registered

One reason i keep the 44 is it goes well with my 44 rifle, I wonder why nobody has come up with a 10mm combo?
Old October 07, 2018, 02:22   #36
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

There is a company that makes an upper that a Glock lower fits in. They do have this available in 10mm, saw it on Hickok on utube. Takes Glock magazines too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wfVPEQfmHEA

Last edited by Sagerider; October 07, 2018 at 02:31.
Old October 07, 2018, 09:17   #37
Bawana jim
Registered

Wow, wonder if my model 29 frame would fit that?
Old October 07, 2018, 11:20   #38
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I love my G20, sheís a old school Gen 2 (all Gen 1 are 9mmís). Iíve had it for nearly 25 years and it still going strong. Iíve shot thousands of rounds through it and plan on shooting many more. I have used it for pin shooting, IDPA and just plain old fun shooting.

Years ago I came across a deal I wish I had taken advantage of more. A LGS had a couple cases of original Norma 10 mm ammo that was priced very good, but as a poor college student I couldnít afford to buy the whole case but did get a box or two every time I went in. Still have much of it, it packs quite a punch. Several years later I got to attend a ballistic class for work that ATK was sponsoring and pushing their new Speer Gold Dot line. They invited us to bring in some of our personal guns and ammo to test on the ballistic gel blocks. I brought the G20 & Norma ammo in. Most the ammo we tested made it between 9 and 13 inches into the gel blocks. We did follow the FBI testing procedure. I got to test the Norma loads on bare gelatin, the chronograph showed just over 1400fsp with a 170 JHP. The first round exited the 18 inch block. The second round was similar with the exception that the jacket was shed at about 15.5 inches. The third round we stacked 2 blocks together and the bullet stopped about 8 inches into the second block but the second block had moved about 6 inches back. Not sure how far back it had moved by the time the bullet got there as the bullet holes did not line up. I asked if I could carry my G20 on duty and was told absolutely no.

As for reloading for the 10mm, Iíve used 2400, AA #5, and unique with good results from all.

The G40 is interesting. I have thought that of getting a 6 inch barrel for my G20.

Rat Master, that is one crazy story. Heís very luck to be alive. Iíve had two run ins with bears. Both times my G20 was with me, both times we each went our own ways in peace. But the thought of 15/16 rounds at the ready is very comforting.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 07, 2018, 18:00   #39
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

That is some very impressive penetration. Wow!

Old October 08, 2018, 12:14   #40
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

First round of roll my owns

Following the Hornady manual religiously I put these baby’s together with Hornady 180 grain XTP bullets with Winchester large pistol standard primers and Blue Dot, just a taste under Max.
I checked my powder charge on both my beam scale and an electronic scale, both read exactly the same.
Over all cartridge length is right on the money at 1.260 inches.

Checking each charge with a small pin light all charges looked good, no double charges. I pay serious attention to this little detail. A double charge would be very evident using Blue Dot. One reason I will not use Bullseye, just a thing I have.

My Dad made these loading blocks some years ago with fifty holes each, they work very well. I sort of inherited them.

Well time to find out how they do. Nice to be able to just walk out the front door and shoot. I even had my new neighbor send me a text thanking me for shooting the other day. The wife unit keeps sheep and likes it when I shoot because she thinks it keeps the coyotes at bay. Don’t know if it does or not but I am really glad she is not throwing a hissy fit about it. How cool is that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B0CECCC8-51BB-48DA-B84A-2424DF312A81.jpeg (42.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg 3079AE2B-89C8-42C9-8700-0EA73F7CA3F1.jpeg (37.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Sagerider; October 08, 2018 at 13:34.
Old October 08, 2018, 13:07   #41
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Results were very good!
No Glock Smile on the cases in the head web area with the KKM barrel.
Primers look good.
Ejection was very positive at about five to six feet to the right and rear slightly.
Finding empty cases is a pain due to the lawn and the long case seems to go head down more than not so your looking for a small black hole.
Accuracy seems to be fine but like I said I need practice in a big way.
Recoil is fine no issues and not bad at all. I felt more recoil from the Federal Premium ammo with the same 180 grain bullet weight.
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Note of interest, to me at least, is the trigger bite is considerably less with the Pyrimid trigger due to the safety lever goes past flush with the trigger face when depressed. The stock Glock trigger safety does not so there is this raised bump on the trigger face, it hurts my finger tip.

Last edited by Sagerider; October 08, 2018 at 13:13.
Old October 08, 2018, 13:48   #42
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Results were very good!
No Glock Smile on the cases in the head web area with the KKM barrel.
Primers look good.
Ejection was very positive at about five to six feet to the right and rear slightly.
Finding empty cases is a pain due to the lawn and the long case seems to go head down more than not so your looking for a small black hole.
Accuracy seems to be fine but like I said I need practice in a big way.
Recoil is fine no issues and not bad at all. I felt more recoil from the Federal Premium ammo with the same 180 grain bullet weight.
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Note of interest, to me at least, is the trigger bite is considerably less with the Pyrimid trigger due to the safety lever goes past flush with the trigger face when depressed. The stock Glock trigger safety does not so there is this raised bump on the trigger face, it hurts my finger tip.
Hurts your finger? Oh well no picking your nose with that one.
Old October 08, 2018, 15:19   #43
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

I am tender.

Old October 08, 2018, 16:02   #44
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
I am tender.
Get your old lady to sing some of this to you and have her kiss your boo boo.

https://youtu.be/CPJO_9a01ps

You will be ok, it 10mm by god.

Ya I know I am trying to be funny.
Old October 08, 2018, 23:26   #45
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
Paul brings up how much of a difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydwXJ2yhfnU
PARA FN FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 04:02   #46
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Good video. The loadings from various manufacturers can and does vary. This is one of the big reasons I reload and most of us here as well. To save money, hardly. You spend a small fortune on equipment and shoot more.

Old October 09, 2018, 10:38   #47
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
My reloading setup is very basic, I have 3 Lee hand presses, a Lee powder measure, an electronic scale, a good set of calipers, 2 Lee priming tools, good lube, loading blocks etc. Most bought back in 1990, so it has paid for itself 100 times over. My best estimate is that I have loaded over 50,000 5.56 rounds since then, countless 22-250/308/30-06 and other various rounds. My rifle dies are mostly Hornady, some RCBS and Lyman, dislike the Lee rifle dies, but I love the LEE pistol carbide dies.

My reloading setup is portable, I can watch TV and deprime/prime/size cases. The loading I do standing up to make myself pay attention.

I bought a Hornady progressive press once, hated it and sent it back.

44 mag costs me about 16 cents to load with 240 grain JSP bullets. Factory ammo runs 60 cents plus. 10mm about the same.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 10:59   #48
Bawana jim
Registered

I use a Dillion square deal that I have had for many years. They rebuilt it for free after I wore it out in the subgun competition Great machine and I have good results with all kinds of powder going reliable through the measure. The best part of the SD is you have to work at making a mistake, once it's set it's very reliable.

Right now I use a 165 Speer gold dot hollow point loaded with HS6 for my 10mm loads. They feed reliable but make a big muzzle blast in my G29.
Old October 10, 2018, 09:30   #49
spider991
Registered

I been a fan of the 180s and 200s...I load with Longshot powder, get some real nice velocity with it, very consistent
Old October 11, 2018, 20:40   #50
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

The Vortex Venom showed up today. After I got done doing some running around I got it installed.
Pros and Cons

Pros
Looks awesome
The 6 moa red dot is perfect, easy to see and well defined round dot with my regular glasses.
Big enough window to see through but not too big
No problem charging the pistol using the slide serrations as usual, no interfearance with the sight using my thumb and the side of my forefinger.
The controls are easy and work.
Red dot can be brightened or dimmed with a very good range. It can be made too bright. Dimmed a bit works best for me giving a very good clear solid dot.
The battery can be changed out from the top without dismounting the sight.
Appears to be as rugged as one can expect.
One of the Glock mounting plates, four in total that came with the pistol fit perfectly.

Cons
The screws provided are too large to fit the clock mounting plate or the slide.
I used the screws provided with the mounting plates that came with the pistol.
The two longer screws that hold the sight to the mounting plate needed to be ground down flush with the bottom of the mounting plate, only about .020. A little grinding with the Dremal tool took care of that issue in short order.
The two screws that hold the mounting plate are long enough to go into the slide more than the diameter of the screw which is all that is needed.
The Glock screws are machine screws with a tapered head but the sight mounting holes are not tapered but square. A plus in this is it self centers the screws so no chance of the sight getting knocked off to one side ruining your zero.

Here are a few pictures of it mounted.
I will be getting a set of taller suppresser night sights that will be in the window.’

Last edited by Sagerider; October 11, 2018 at 21:21.