The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old May 22, 2019, 17:29   #1
madmike262
Registered

FALaholic #: 82370
Fal scope Rings

I have a FAL with a Imbel lower and a DSA upper.It also still has rear sight.The stock is a Magpul PRS2,Im thinking of getting a Primary Arms 1-6 X 24 FFP Raptor scope for it.The Raptor is compatible with 30mm mounts and rings.I just dont know about the height.
madmike262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 22:08   #2
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
The Brownell's catalog has a listing of available scope rings including the distance from the top of the rail to the bottom of the inner surface.
kysjck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 22:49   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Not quite sure what you're asking. If the 1-6x has suitable eye relief, and is short enough, you'd want to mount it low as possible and in front of your rear sight. Instead of over the rear sight.

I've machined off the rear portion of the DSA rail mount to clear the objective. you don't really see the rear sight, but this precludes a cheek riser.

Optimally, your snap position for iron or scope should be as close to the same as possible

So I'd try low and hack off the slots on the rail you don't need.

Be advised, DSA rail is 1/4" higher than ARMS. Generally ok, but if low is more important than versatility, go with ARMS.
Old Yesterday, 00:29   #4
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Watch the windage turret.

I had a Vortex PST 1-4 slammed as low as I could get it, and the ejected brass beat on the turret hard. Not only did it deform the aluminum turret itself, but I also had malfunctions as brass bounced back into the ejection port. I tried to run a generic shell deflector, but I still had brass bouncing itself back in. I conceded and ended up running an AR style cantilever mount, and added a raised comb so I could get a cheek weld.

The PST has about the largest turrets out there though.

IIRC I was using Talley steel low mount rings, and it gave just enough clearance for my switchview to mount.

Here you can kind of see how the brass was bouncing, even after I raised the scope. The neck would impact the rear of the port, and the rim would rotate up and smack the turret.

Last edited by fuel fire desire; Yesterday at 00:37.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote