Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old May 18, 2013, 20:13   #1
badmuther
Registered

FALaholic #: 26839
Trigger won't reset and possible head space issues

Hello,

Couple issues with my PAC Imbel STG 58. Was out shooting it and after a couple of mags I started getting Failures to eject. Adjusted the gas cylinder and fixed that problem, but then the trigger wouldn't reset.

Stripping the gun down I observed that the hammer would sit pretty low and would not release upon pulling the trigger. If I physically pulled the hammer up and then pulled the trigger it would function correctly.

Anyone know what part it is I need to replace? I'm pretty new to FALs.

2nd question. Couldn't get my irons zeroed because I ran out of adjustment on the rear sight. Purchased this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/562...al-steel-matte
and ran out of adjustment so I then had to move the whole base left and then use the a2 knobs.

Is this a headspace issue? Or is it a non-issue? (Rifle is currently zeroed at 25y, the longest I currently have available.)

Thanks in advance,

Jim
badmuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 20:27   #2
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Not a headspace issue, headspace is the relation of the bullet in the chamber and the position of the bolt face, your problem is a barrel timing issue. Trigger not resetting could be that someone put the wrong spring in the pistol grip. Who built this rifle?
Old May 18, 2013, 20:30   #3
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Probably need a milspec trigger return spring, prior owner cut it too short. Take off pistol grip and replace.

Clean it good, including the chamber, gas system and gas tube, and see if it runs any better. Sometimes you need more gas for a hot rifle, so may just need minor adjustment.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 21:10   #4
badmuther
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Not a headspace issue, headspace is the relation of the bullet in the chamber and the position of the bolt face, your problem is a barrel timing issue. Trigger not resetting could be that someone put the wrong spring in the pistol grip. Who built this rifle?
Duh, I meant to say timing issue, but lack of sleep from new baby/graveyard shift dulled the brain.

I bought it used from a gunstore. Imbel/PAC no other markings.
Old May 18, 2013, 21:11   #5
badmuther
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Probably need a milspec trigger return spring, prior owner cut it too short. Take off pistol grip and replace.

Clean it good, including the chamber, gas system and gas tube, and see if it runs any better. Sometimes you need more gas for a hot rifle, so may just need minor adjustment.
Thanks for helping id the possible culprit. Gun was cleaned well prior to shooting. Adjusted the gas reg 2 settings and it was g2g, so it could of just been the hot rifle.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:49   #6
one hand clapping
Registered

FALaholic #: 35299
Did you get your "timing issue "solved?
To regain the center of your irons, IF your timing is off , you will need to do the following-
Remove HG's sepoerate upper and lower,
pull BC group,
remove the gas system components
place barrel in vice
place receiver wrench on receriver
put a cleaning rod thru the HG screw hole and center
Apply torque on receiver wrench [ cheater bar hepls for small movements] in appropreate direction -just a bit to bring your gasblock / front sight to plumb with the upper.
Old May 19, 2013, 17:08   #7
badmuther
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hand clapping View Post
Did you get your "timing issue "solved?
To regain the center of your irons, IF your timing is off , you will need to do the following-
Remove HG's sepoerate upper and lower,
pull BC group,
remove the gas system components
place barrel in vice
place receiver wrench on receriver
put a cleaning rod thru the HG screw hole and center
Apply torque on receiver wrench [ cheater bar hepls for small movements] in appropreate direction -just a bit to bring your gasblock / front sight to plumb with the upper.
Thanks OHC, wasn't sure how, also need to buy a rcvr wrench.