Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old June 09, 2012, 23:48   #1
Michael64
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4237
WTK: Rear sight wobbles

So the rear sight has some play to it on the slide.
How to tighten it up?
Looking for ARMS #3 standard mount
Michael64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012, 15:38   #2
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
I used a Whitney punch and made a couple small disks. I took the sight apart and placed a disk behind the spring on both sides. The spring keeps the disks in the recess and it seems to tighten the wobble up.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012, 20:12   #3
preston1026
Go Seminoles!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 38005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I used a Whitney punch and made a couple small disks. I took the sight apart and placed a disk behind the spring on both sides. The spring keeps the disks in the recess and it seems to tighten the wobble up.
I have the same issue but have no clue what you mean of by discs. Any chance you have pictures or can describe better?
preston1026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012, 22:22   #4
Dave Hume
Banned

FALaholic #: 63274
Removing the rear sight and GENTLY clamping in a vise to close all slop has always worked for me. Fits extremely snug and only rarely needs to be done again. Resighting may be necessary but only in a minimal fashion.
Dave Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012, 07:42   #5
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston1026 View Post
I have the same issue but have no clue what you mean of by discs. Any chance you have pictures or can describe better?
Sorry, I mean little "punched out" pieces of sheet metal. I used a punch set to make some but I have just cut out out small pieces to use before. There is a "button" that one engages to slide the rear sight. Well, after you have removed the slide stop pin and have taken the sliding portion off, you can disassemble the sliding portion. The discs I made go behind the spring that holds the slider under tension. The disc simply adds some tension to lessen the wobble. I have also gently squeezed it in a vice as Dave suggested.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012, 09:05   #6
preston1026
Go Seminoles!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 38005
Thank you, I'm going to give it a shot.
preston1026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012, 09:54   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
It doesn't have to be so complicated. Just gently squeeze it in a vise. Lap if you want.

If you go too far, use a supersize snap ring punch pliers (Harbor Freight) to spread them slightly.

not mine - image mined from web.

I filed the outside edge of the straight one flat and the slide nicely into the rear sight rails. The other one works great for spreading dented magazines, G3 receivers, etc.
Old June 11, 2012, 11:06   #8
Zeusizme
Registered

FALaholic #: 64239
Besides pinching the rear sight in a vice, I also streatch the spring a little which helps take up the wobble even without pinching the sight in a vice.
Old June 11, 2012, 22:43   #9
Michael64
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4237
All great ideas.

Thanks
Looking for ARMS #3 standard mount
Michael64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2012, 03:30   #10
Roadmarker
Remaining Vigilant 3-7-77
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63605
Just a couple of things to add. There seems to be 3 axis where the wobble occurs:
1. Side to side - cured by the squeezing method. I use a vice to ensure the sides stay even.
2. Backwards and forwards in the "Range" detents - After you dissemble the rear sight, you will see the radiused "Vee" that is used to hold the sight in whatever range detent you choose. I've seen a lot of wear at the points of contact on either side. Since this radiused Vee can only push in until it hits the sight rail, there is quite a bit of wobble. The solution is to file the tip of the vee until it seats past the wear marks. Then add a spacer behind the spring to provide more tension. I used a one hole punch and a thick plastic and nibbled away until it fit the spring well. There may be more give than with metal. but there is no chance of corrosion either.
3. Rocking up and down - There is sometimes a pretty healthy gap between the bottom of the rails and the sight "feet". I'm hesitant to bend this as it may cause extreme wear if the planes are not parellel and the corners cut into the bottom side of the rail.
I haven't addressed on any of my rifles since the first two steps seem to take about 95% of the play out of the rear sight. The only way I can think to address this is to add JB weld to the top of the bottom rail on the sliding sight portion and file it away. This sound a bit tedious and I'll leave this until I can find a better way or I get totally obsessed with it.
I liked an earlier mention to check for squareness in the rails by testing the friction at different distances. A little file work before squeezing the sides could make quite a difference if you have this symptom.
Clean, clean, clean before tightening up the sight. Good luck. Let me know if anyone has an easy fix for #3.
Roadmarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2012, 08:13   #11
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

very good analysis. I have the benefit of multiple sight bases and slides from which to choose. So other than squeezing, I can substitute parts for a particularly bad combination on a rifle. While I haven't tried it, if you smack the outside of the sight with a punch while the inside of the rail is supported by a mandrel, it should cause it to expand slightly.I'd do this first, and squeeze last.
Old December 09, 2012, 12:05   #12
Roadmarker
Bronze Contributor

Thanks Mark,
Ideally I'd love to replace the checkered knob portion with NOS, but I dont know of any caches. It seems as though this it's made with a softer metal as evidenced by the wear marks on the radiused Vee. This part seems like a good canidate for replication by a machinist. I've seen a lot of worn checkering and a bulls-eye pattern may also sell for T48 clones.
I like your thoughts on expanding the metal on the sight (rails or feet) with a rap from a punch. I used this method to tighten up the sight retaining pin from the bottom side. I guess you just have to take it very methodically or you could bang away and file the excess...lol.
Old December 09, 2012, 12:32   #13
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmarker View Post
Thanks Mark,
Ideally I'd love to replace the checkered knob portion with NOS, but I dont know of any caches. It seems as though this it's made with a softer metal as evidenced by the wear marks on the radiused Vee. This part seems like a good canidate for replication by a machinist. I've seen a lot of worn checkering and a bulls-eye pattern may also sell for T48 clones.
I like your thoughts on expanding the metal on the sight (rails or feet) with a rap from a punch. I used this method to tighten up the sight retaining pin from the bottom side. I guess you just have to take it very methodically or you could bang away and file the excess...lol.
I don't think there is any market for making any replacement FAL parts - you'd need 200 units to break even on any CNC and I don't think you could sell 20.

Now if you make it some gizmo of dubious value but looks different, you could probably make some money. Like thread the button male and have a knob with a delrin washer to pull it tight.

For the pin, I just rap the round end of the pin making it an oval. It really only matters on Argy lowers as they are cut for the para or standard sight and there is nothing under the pin to support it. The other option is to do what the Argys do, and deform the edges of the hole after the pin is installed.
Old December 09, 2012, 13:26   #14
JasonB
Banned

FALaholic #: 7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Now if you make it some gizmo of dubious value but looks different,

Hear, hear!
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012, 16:51   #15
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
I ended up putting a threaded bolt thru the right side on the 8mm FAL, as the sight refused to stay put.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"Its hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:26   #16
Roadmarker
Bronze Contributor

Well, I finally ran across a rear sight base that needed the generous use of a file to flatten the left side of the rail. It was an Imbel and the metal seems to be softer than any G1 or StG. Careful filing did the trick and it straightened up nicely. Added a small shim behind the spring to take up any slack caused by the removal of material.
I also see where DSA has replacements for rear sight parts that are subject to wear.
Pushbutton - http://www.dsarms.com/Push-Button-fo...oductinfo/112/
Spring - http://www.dsarms.com/Spring-for-Pus...oductinfo/111/
Sight Base, Metric - http://www.dsarms.com/Metric-Rear-Si...oductinfo/106/

Last edited by Roadmarker; May 21, 2013 at 09:33.