The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old October 12, 2017, 01:13   #1
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
I don't know where to ask this question...

...so, here it goes.

I was given 1500 lubed lead semi wad cutter .38 cal bullets. I have no interest in setting up another caliber to reload, but I do want an 1851 NAVY Cap n Ball revolver.

Can I use these bullets in a .36 cal cap n ball revolver?
Old October 12, 2017, 01:38   #2
hueyville
Registered

FALaholic #: 74557
I wouldn't try it. Trade them over at castboolits for what you need and use flat rate shipping boxes. For right price I might be interested if commercial cast so can be sure of alloy used.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 18:15   #3
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
You'd be better off trading them.

There may be a few annoyances with putting them in the percussion gun, namely....

Size: Cap guns need a slightly oversized bullet so that a seal is created when they get pressed into the chamber. This process shaves a ring of lead off the bullet as it is rammed into the chamber.

Alloy: Cap guns are designed around using soft lead bullets. The ram is not built for using harder cast bullets and the pivot may not last very long stuffing linotype in the cylinder. Note: The guns can -shoot- hard lead bullets if a cartridge conversion cylinder is used (the ram isn't needed to get bullets into the chambers.)

Length: You didn't say what weight the wadcutters are. They might be long for the percussion cylinder and leave very little room for powder.
Old October 13, 2017, 11:54   #4
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
1851 Navy Cap and ball gun, may have an actual .380 size bbl and chamber.

You have .357 lead bullets.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017, 16:50   #5
Brother Wayne
Registered

FALaholic #: 77216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle View Post
...so, here it goes.

I was given 1500 lubed lead semi wad cutter .38 cal bullets. I have no interest in setting up another caliber to reload, but I do want an 1851 NAVY Cap n Ball revolver.

Can I use these bullets in a .36 cal cap n ball revolver?
.36 caliber cap and ball revolvers use a .376 round ball. .38 caliber semi-wad cutters are going to be .358. That is way to small to make a chamber seal in your .36 Navy. Poor accuracy at best and dangerous cross firing at worst and very likely to occur even with a felt wad under it. Black powder revolvers must use an oversized round ball that will actually shear partially away leaving a small lead ring around the cylinder hole when the ball is seated. I shoot these a lot and have been doing so for over 40 years now. If you would like any information or need any help I'd be more than happy to visit with you about it.
Brother Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2017, 19:51   #6
c0wb0y84
Registered

FALaholic #: 70103
If you decide to sell I may be interested depending on bullet weight.
c0wb0y84 is offline   Reply With Quote