FALaholic #: 13971
Close Quarters Boar Hunting

Wow...I've never hunted boar, but it seems to get real up close and personal:

Old January 26, 2019, 17:48   #2
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
It is often done out here with a dog and a knife, I grew out of that though....I am happy to use a rifle these days !!
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2019, 16:21   #3
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
It is often done out here with a dog and a knife, I grew out of that though....I am happy to use a rifle these days !!
Around here the hunters ride horses. That way they can keep up with the dogs and hogs.

Hunt club member showed me a 6 inch scar on his calf given to him from a big boar. Said he quit using the knife and when to a .44 instead.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2019, 19:18   #4
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
That last shooter with the fiber optic front sight, he's got big ones yeah?

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2019, 19:32   #5
Andraste
Registered

FALaholic #: 80827
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
That last shooter with the fiber optic front sight, he's got big ones yeah?
+1
Andraste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2019, 22:22   #6
Riversidesports
Banned

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andraste View Post
+1
That ain't shit

Do you know how boar hunts were until recently ?
up into the mid 20th century you hunted with yer Dawgs and either a Boar lance or short sword dear

Dawgs quartered the beast then you, the Man went in for the kill
none of this candy assed gun shit either
Real Men stabbed them MFr's to death

Wow huh...

do some searching on Hunting swords or Boar spears
this was once mainstream in Europe
Spearing used to be Europes form of "bow" hunting before they unkunted themselves as Men
Boar and Stag were both speared

That takes big assed Man balls
shooting shit is pussy in comparison
anyone is able to shoot a thing...
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2019, 23:42   #7
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
While wild boar in any fashion is a formidable beast, I don't believe that boar hunting back then was anything like the European hunting today, and nothing like here in the US. Back then, there were many other apex predators besides men that took care of the boar population. That would mean that hunting boar and stag was truly that, a hunt. In today's world, with man being the only apex predator left, the deer and hog populations have skyrocketed and put them in the nuisance category. The TV show documenting the European hog hunts often show man drivers walking up and flushing 50-100 hogs in a relatively small parcel of land.

Here in the US, almost all hunters know that wild and feral hogs have gone beyond the nuisance stage. That is why most States have allowed year round hunting of them. So, IMHO, back them it was a one on one proposition, but hunting that way today would be like taking a baseball bat to use against an MS13 gang.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2019, 23:52   #8
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
but hunting that way today would be like taking a baseball bat to use against an MS13 gang.
That's sure right. Even using this method is too slow:

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 12:25   #9
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Pooches look a lot like Norwegian Elkhounds.
Larry
Old January 28, 2019, 18:37   #10
Andraste
Registered

FALaholic #: 80827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
That ain't shit

Do you know how boar hunts were until recently ?
up into the mid 20th century you hunted with yer Dawgs and either a Boar lance or short sword dear

Dawgs quartered the beast then you, the Man went in for the kill
none of this candy assed gun shit either
Real Men stabbed them MFr's to death

Wow huh...

do some searching on Hunting swords or Boar spears
this was once mainstream in Europe
Spearing used to be Europes form of "bow" hunting before they unkunted themselves as Men
Boar and Stag were both speared

That takes big assed Man balls
shooting shit is pussy in comparison
anyone is able to shoot a thing...

OMG! .... I never would have imagined men would have hunted down wild beasts with sharp objects. Thanks for refreshing my history lessons.

I will immediately stop practising accuracy with firearms and begin practicing the art of stoning and technical spearing.

No way am I gathering the berries without my CZ, it didn't go so well for the clan of cave bear girl.

How many boars does one have to spear before graduating from pussy to big ass man balls?
Andraste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 18:58   #11
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Dramatic video for shooting a damn pig. I gave up after a few minutes

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 19:14   #12
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
It did seem kinda redundant didn't it?

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

Old January 28, 2019, 22:36   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
It did seem kinda redundant didn't it?
Yeah the slowmo.

This is a little more my speed

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2019, 16:11   #14
Riversidesports
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andraste View Post
OMG! .... I never would have imagined men would have hunted down wild beasts with sharp objects. Thanks for refreshing my history lessons.

I will immediately stop practising accuracy with firearms and begin practicing the art of stoning and technical spearing.

No way am I gathering the berries without my CZ, it didn't go so well for the clan of cave bear girl.

How many boars does one have to spear before graduating from pussy to big ass man balls?
LOL

Well I did state ManBalls

Hell I'd say carry a damn 12ga pump, feral swine never was a joking matter
Great gandmom was a rural school marrm. She kept a shotgun by the door in the schoolhouse.
Wasn't for dogs, it was the pigs that went wild
Dogs bite, piggies will eat you
Old January 29, 2019, 16:18   #15
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

When my mom was a little girl, she and her family were visiting relatives who lived in a house that stood on pier and beams with a big crawlspace underneath. She went outside to play and in a while, the folks inside her screaming. A momma sow had grabbed her by the leg, under the house, and was slinging her around. Mom had crawled under the house to play with some little piglets. Sows will protect their piglets with a vengeance.

Old January 29, 2019, 16:36   #16
Riversidesports
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
While wild boar in any fashion is a formidable beast, I don't believe that boar hunting back then was anything like the European hunting today, and nothing like here in the US. Back then, there were many other apex predators besides men that took care of the boar population. That would mean that hunting boar and stag was truly that, a hunt. In today's world, with man being the only apex predator left, the deer and hog populations have skyrocketed and put them in the nuisance category. The TV show documenting the European hog hunts often show man drivers walking up and flushing 50-100 hogs in a relatively small parcel of land.

Here in the US, almost all hunters know that wild and feral hogs have gone beyond the nuisance stage. That is why most States have allowed year round hunting of them. So, IMHO, back them it was a one on one proposition, but hunting that way today would be like taking a baseball bat to use against an MS13 gang.
Truth in that
Some years back a guy up here was busted by a fish cop
Crime ?
He speared a Deer and tagged it
It was bow season
Nice write up in the paper, guy jumped out of a tree stand
Gamine saw it, big stink
Count judge tossed the case out

Fish cop was bitching how brutal it was, new idiot who didn't last very long up here

Yes hunting in Europe was a different thing back in the day
Spears and dogs were just how things were done, a practice that went on well through the 19th century
Something being missed is you had one shot with a rifle
You could stab up a boar multiple times with a spear. That why you have the stops on hunting spears to prevent the point from getting stuck between ribs

Given a choice between a single shot and spear which indeed be the more effective hunting arm...
Still as I stated, big ole man balls
Old February 02, 2019, 09:04   #17
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
A buddy of mine went bow hunting with some guys at a private game ranch. They started with bows and killed a few hogs and then started drinking Crown and decided to hunt the rest of the time with Bowie knives.

Well he had some pics and they managed to kill 3 with knives. He said they being 5 guys hunted down the hogs and surrounded them and closed in for the kill. The one hog killed looked like something from Russia very big and big tusks as well and dark gray/black.

They all went home safely so good trip for them. The guy running the ranch was having a camera crew come in for showing off his hunting ranch but when the guys asked about hunting hogs with knives and drinking he said ok, but cancelled the camera crew until these guys left the ranch.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 09:58   #18
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
My old business partner Doug was hunting the county watershed during black powder season a few years back and knocked down a 200lb+ boar from his tree stand. Only firearms allowed during the hunt were black powder and he didn't have a sidearm For the day. Climbed down from the stand leaving his rifle leaning against the base of the tree as he went to bleed the pig. The boar came alive as he stuck him and proceeded to chase him around and back up the nearest tree of size before running off with a knife still stuck in his neck. Never did get the knife back. And Doug never left his tree stand for a downed pig again without reloading the rifle first.

The true lesson from the video here is that an angry hog will aggressively charge and attack anything when they're riled up. In the video here the hunter seems to have trained the dogs to flush hogs for shooting. Me? Id take a good pair of catch dogs any day.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 12:22   #19
Uncle Mick
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 72942
Hawaii allows knives and spears as a means of taking pigs and goats.
https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/oahu/
Uncle Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 16:57   #20
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
Less dramatic, but less hi res:

Old February 04, 2019, 11:16   #21
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
What type of shotgun loads do you use for wild boar hunting? Slugs? Buckshot? #4?

What caliber rifle and pistol do you use? It looks like a short-barreled FAL or M-14 clone would be excellent in those close-quarter /brush attacks with some kind of soft-pointed bullets?? Would a 7.62 X 39 be to light?

For pistol, a 45 ACP or 10mm should be a good choice, eh?

I'm too old for all that macho spear hunting and knife hunting shit. Slower wound recover and missed work ain't worth all the bad-assness bragging rights.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2019, 11:17   #22
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
By the way ,thanks for those videos brothers. They are very informative.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 19:50   #23
Watch Ryder
Registered

FALaholic #: 69410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
What type of shotgun loads do you use for wild boar hunting? Slugs? Buckshot? #4?

What caliber rifle and pistol do you use? It looks like a short-barreled FAL or M-14 clone would be excellent in those close-quarter /brush attacks with some kind of soft-pointed bullets?? Would a 7.62 X 39 be to light?

For pistol, a 45 ACP or 10mm should be a good choice, eh?

I'm too old for all that macho spear hunting and knife hunting shit. Slower wound recover and missed work ain't worth all the bad-assness bragging rights.

Jarhead
I've seen folks using .223 against hogs but I'd not go with less than .308 for making sure, but a bit more meat loss is likely.

For me I'd have 9mm for a pistol, as a last-resort, not first-resort.
.45 ACP may not penetrate deep enough for my liking,
Watch Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 21:35   #24
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

I lease my pasture to a man who kills feral pigs with a partner. They use ARs in 300 Blackout. His partner is an ex- Special Forces soldier and that man has a buddy who owns the company from which they bought their thermal imaging scopes. Last winter they killed almost 600 pigs; they gut them but leave the heart, lungs and liver, keeping them in a refrigerated room then delivering them to a company around Kosse, Texas that turns them into dog food. He said they were averaging $1000 per week through the winter last year.

I would think 5.56 would be good enough if your shot placement is on the spot. An inch or so behind an ear and it's lights out for the pigs. I suspect a .22 LR would do the deed if close enough. All the ones I've killed were taken with a .308, either my full-length Imbel or a Savage 99 lever gun.

Last edited by Texgunner; February 06, 2019 at 09:31.
Old February 06, 2019, 07:45   #25
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Wild boars were our allies in the fight against ISIS, and see how we treat them. It's sad.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nts/100876844/
Old February 06, 2019, 10:46   #26
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
Wild boars were our allies in the fight against ISIS, and see how we treat them. It's sad.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nts/100876844/
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew

юродивый
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 18:05   #27
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
So we've established 'sporting purpose' for the bayonet lug?
Old February 07, 2019, 16:05   #28
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
I went out with some hog hunters using dogs in south GA. Strange folk. I ended up hog tieing one they cornered...very nervous operation.

We eventually killed it with my leatherman.

After that I put my glock on my belt for the rest of the day.

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 17:38   #29
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
I went out with some hog hunters using dogs in south GA. Strange folk. I ended up hog tieing one they cornered...very nervous operation.

Good idea.

Old February 07, 2019, 17:46   #30
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
I went out with some hog hunters ......

......We eventually killed it with my leatherman.
Old February 08, 2019, 06:17   #31
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Did you use the pliers or bottle opener?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 08:19   #32
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Did you use the pliers or bottle opener?
Pinched him to death?

Old February 08, 2019, 15:43   #33
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Quote:

Was the Glock for the strange folk, or the hogs..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 23:49   #34
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Was the Glock for the strange folk, or the hogs..
As usual...you perceive the threat(s).

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 15:16   #35
CactusCapt
Registered

FALaholic #: 6743
My Dad used to be a dealer for the original Al Mar series of knives back in the very late '70s and into the '80s. He knew Al quite well as he had been the manager of the YO Ranch here in Texas where Al hunted quite a bit. Somewhere buried in my archives (large boxes of articles ripped out of print publications...) I have an article on Al hunting pigs with a spear of his own design. Sadly, Al passed in '92 from an aneurysm, but I'm fortunate to have a few sweet originals from his catalog.
CactusCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 18:14   #36
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I stopped just as he was closing the bolt. Enough of that slo mo over scored super drama nonsense. Did he end the video by crossing his arms while turning slightly askew?