Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old January 25, 2019, 18:20   #401
pcar916
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 81720
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
How close to the receiver should the barrel clamp be? Mine seems to be in the 5"-6" range, I want to be sure to have enough thread contact on the bolts on the clamp? Does anyone here use rosin in the clamp, for more grip?
Steve
I used rosin for the first time last night. It's a good idea.

The instructions for my Brownell's barrel vice I use say 3" from the receiver and the aluminum inserts are marked with the end that goes toward the receiver. Your vice might be different.

That said out of three barrels I've messed with they are all shaped a little different so I use a bit of movement of the vice inserts while I'm tightening them to "feel" when they have the best bite.

I also use single layer of shop paper (very thin, very dense) to wrap the barrel. A single layer of that very dense stuff has kept both the barrel and the receiver safe from rash.

Good luck
pcar916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2019, 18:20   #402
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 81718
Thanks to all. I worry the first time doing something new, to me. Maybe get to this tomorrow?
Steve
Old January 25, 2019, 18:22   #403
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar916 View Post
I used rosin for the first time last night. It's a good idea.

The instructions for my Brownell's barrel vice I use say 3" from the receiver and the aluminum inserts are marked with the end that goes toward the receiver. Your vice might be different.

That said out of three barrels I've messed with they are all shaped a little different so I use a bit of movement of the vice inserts while I'm tightening them to "feel" when they have the best bite.

I also use single layer of shop paper (very thin, very dense) to wrap the barrel. A single layer of that very dense stuff has kept both the barrel and the receiver safe from rash.

Good luck
With my vise i just barely get the nuts started at 5=6"s from receiver?
Steve
Old January 25, 2019, 18:24   #404
pcar916
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Thanks to all. I worry the first time doing something new, to me. Maybe get to this tomorrow?
Steve
This FALFiles crowd led me through it over the last month or so.
Old January 25, 2019, 18:28   #405
pcar916
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Steve
Barrel profiles (shape) vary. Each one is a new adventure! My vice specifies 3 inches from the receiver and the aluminum inserts
point to the end that's next to the receiver.

Last edited by pcar916; January 25, 2019 at 18:42.
Old January 25, 2019, 19:21   #406
CTW
Registered

FALaholic #: 41894
Still waiting for my gas nut and gas regulator that was missing from my last kit
Iíve sent in a stripped lower with bent pistol grip stud and cruddy barrel for replacement.
This is the last email I got for the missing parts on Jan 14.
Hello Chris
This email has been sent to inform you that your order, #226230, has been updated to a status of Order In Warehouse. If this is an order for parts or accessories, your order will ship out shortly. If this is an order for a COMPLETE FIREARM, an ACTION, a FRAME or a RECEIVER, you now have 48 hours to email or fax your FFL in to us or the order will be cancelled. Thank you.
Old January 25, 2019, 19:47   #407
boman
Registered

FALaholic #: 395
Quote:
Steve
Steve, This is to add to my response earlier. I don't know what kind of vice you have??? but take those bolts to the hardware store and buy some longer ones. Also if you can't get the vice any closer than that to the receiver just set it up so you can support the barrel from underneath(block of wood--2x4 etc) and torgue the receiver towards the support.

Steve
Old January 26, 2019, 15:14   #408
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

Got the barrel screwed into my receiver today, tried the gas tube and keeper screwed in by hand. Plan on setting the head space this next week sometime? Notice I'm missing a couple of parts in my kit? Already contacted Sarco and got message back saying whoever is in charge of these things would be out of the office for a while, will send another message informing them about other missing parts today.
Steve
Old January 27, 2019, 16:08   #409
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

Here;s something to watch for by new builders of the FALs. After assembling the mag catch and bolt stop on my receiver, I could get mags to drop out of the upper and took me a while to realize the mag catch spring wasn't in its seat so took a small Craftsman flat bladed screw driver and pushed it up into its seat, now works as it should. I' learning.
Steve
Old January 27, 2019, 23:39   #410
pcar916
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Here;s something to watch for by new builders of the FALs.
Steve
Thanks S.B. We noobies need this sort of stuff.
Old January 27, 2019, 23:55   #411
pcar916
Silver Contributor

Now that I've seen a few of these kits I have to ask (haven't seen any thing about it elsewhere) what are the these scallop marks on both the Chilean and Cuban receivers?

They seem newer than the receiver and I'm not smart enough yet to figure these out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scallop_Marks_Small.jpg (90.8 KB, 460 views)
Old February 02, 2019, 15:46   #412
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

Did Chile contract with FN for the rifles these kits come from or did they buy them from another country? I can not find this stated anywhere on the web. Were they originally Cuban contract? Or some other country's? I've seen mention of several other countries contracting with FN for FALs ie: Argentina, Brazil, Israel. Germany, Austria and others but, nothing about a Chilean contract?
P.S. according to Wikipedia, Chile was just a "user" of FALs so, where did they get them from?
Got my kit put together this morning so, took a couple of pictures:
https://imgur.com/Qacybxg
https://imgur.com/xPnjQAW
Haven't been able to shoot it yet due to the subzero Illinois weather this past week but, will soon enough.
Steve

Last edited by S.B.; March 12, 2019 at 13:47.
S.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2019, 02:16   #413
CTW
Registered

Quote:
Did Chile contract with FN for the rifles these kits come from or did they buy them from another country? I can not find this stated anywhere on the web. Were they originally Cuban contract? Or some other country's? I've seen mention of several other countries contracting with FN for FALs ie: Argentina, Brazil, Israel. Germany, Austria and others but, nothing about a Chilean contract?
P.S. according to Wikipedia, Chile was just a "user" of FALs so, where did they get them from?
Got my kit put together this morning so, took a couple of pictures:
https://imgur.com/Qacybxg
https://imgur.com/xPnjQAW
Haven't been able to shoot it yet due to the subzero Illinois weather this past week but, will soon enough.
Steve
Nice Stick! Let us know how it shoos/functions. I like that you put a mag in the gun, but you are missing a few things in your photo that carry on the true FAL FILES tradition. Your riFAL needs to be on concrete, it needs to have a decent alcoholic beverage in the photo, a decent quality tobacco product is preferred also like a premium cigar. And last but not least if you really want to go full bore you need to include some gnarly looking toes....
Seriously though nice gun!!
Old February 04, 2019, 07:52   #414
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTW View Post
Nice Stick! Let us know how it shoos/functions. I like that you put a mag in the gun, but you are missing a few things in your photo that carry on the true FAL FILES tradition. Your riFAL needs to be on concrete, it needs to have a decent alcoholic beverage in the photo, a decent quality tobacco product is preferred also like a premium cigar. And last but not least if you really want to go full bore you need to include some gnarly looking toes....
Seriously though nice gun!!
My patio has had up to 12" of snow on it till just yesterday and temperatures have been well below zero for over a week now(Illinois in the winter?) and I much prefer domestic Jack Daniels to foreign alcohol, sorry just an American boy but, thanks.
Steve

Last edited by S.B.; March 10, 2019 at 15:28.
Old February 04, 2019, 09:37   #415
bill3542
Registered

FALaholic #: 5675
A lot of the Chilean FAL kit guns where Brazilian made by Imbel, I may be wrong but I think all where made by Imbel.

One of our vendors here ( Dan ) had shitloads of them at his warehouse back around 1999-2001 which is where 3 of my FAL kits came from.
Old February 04, 2019, 11:33   #416
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

Thanks Bill so, the title of this thread is am error(no Chilean contract?) By the way I worked 34 years in LIUNA #996.
Steve
Old February 04, 2019, 15:14   #417
EagleArmsHBAR
Registered

FALaholic #: 64773
Quote:
Thanks Bill so, the title of this thread is am error(no Chilean contract?) By the way I worked 34 years in LIUNA #996.
Steve
Unless Imbel was forging Belgian FN markings on their barrels, I'd say that these are for sure contract FALs for some country.
EagleArmsHBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2019, 16:55   #418
TraFALgar
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4366
Post Hey noobie guys, chill ! :)

The kits recently offered by SARCO and the subject of this thread are indeed FN contract kits produced for Chile (and may have some Cuban contract parts mixed in for good measure, as some have received). Blake Stevens' book The FAL Rifle, Vol. 3 (The Metric FAL) depicts a Chilean contract FN/FAL rifle, 1960, and shows a closeup of its roll-stamped coat-of-arms with "Ejercito de Chile" above. He gives no further information about this contract, such as production quantities.

As EagleArms observed, these Chilean contract parts kits have Belgian FN markings and date codes on various parts. The Chilean contract FAL is practically identical to the Cuban contract FAL of 1958, except they don't have the upside-down triangle stamp on the lower. (Also the earliest Cuban FALs reportedly came with wood handguards and a bayonet lug on the barrel). Lee Carpentieri explains when these were imported in Post #70 of this thread. Elsewhere, he said this was around 1997.

The kits that bill3542 referred to are completely different. They were made by IMBEL for Chile in the 1970s, and have fiberglas handguards and combo devices. About 25,000 of these kits were imported by P.W. Arms in ~2001 and sold by Dan's and others. The ones you can buy today from Arizona Response Systems (acquired from Entreprise bankruptcy) are probably the remainder of that batch.
TraFALgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2019, 17:28   #419
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraFALgar View Post
The kits recently offered by SARCO and the subject of this thread are indeed FN contract kits produced for Chile (and may have some Cuban contract parts mixed in for good measure, as some have received). Blake Stevens' book The FAL Rifle, Vol. 3 (The Metric FAL) depicts a Chilean contract FN/FAL rifle, 1960, and shows a closeup of its roll-stamped coat-of-arms with "Ejercito de Chile" above. He gives no further information about this contract, such as production quantities.

As EagleArms observed, these Chilean contract parts kits have Belgian FN markings and date codes on various parts. The Chilean contract FAL is practically identical to the Cuban contract FAL of 1958, except they don't have the upside-down triangle stamp on the lower. (Also the earliest Cuban FALs reportedly came with wood handguards and a bayonet lug on the barrel). Lee Carpentieri explains when these were imported in Post #70 of this thread. Elsewhere, he said this was around 1997.

The kits that bill3542 referred to are completely different. They were made by IMBEL for Chile in the 1970s, and have fiberglas handguards and combo devices. About 25,000 of these kits were imported by P.W. Arms in ~2001 and sold by Dan's and others. The ones you can buy today from Arizona Response Systems (acquired from Entreprise bankruptcy) are probably the remainder of that batch.

I did notice a Belgium proof on the barrel I received but, who's to say these kits were shipped in tact(all the parts from the same gun?). Not to confuse the matter but, why is there no mention of a FN contract with Chile to be found on the internet, then while others are all over the place ie; Argentina, Israel, Germanty, Austria and many others?
Steve
Old February 05, 2019, 23:57   #420
EagleArmsHBAR
Registered

It looks like Sarco is sold out of Belgian made Chilean contract FN FAL kits again.
Old February 06, 2019, 11:42   #421
Fal762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 81474
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleArmsHBAR View Post
It looks like Sarco is sold out of Belgian made Chilean contract FN FAL kits again.
Maybe they'll get a few returns that may go back in stock
Fal762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 13:44   #422
EagleArmsHBAR
Registered

I bought what I think is the last kit they had yesterday and I'm excited to see what I end up with. Maybe a Cuban lower? I still need to get my other one built.
Old February 11, 2019, 12:32   #423
ACL_KY
Registered

FALaholic #: 82096
My kit came in today. Sadly I didn't get a Cuban lower. I think the lower and handguard are from an STG58. The stock has some interesting sandanista graffiti. I'll post pics once I figure out how.
ACL_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 17:12   #424
ACL_KY
Registered

Old February 11, 2019, 17:17   #425
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Snowing in your house?
Old February 11, 2019, 17:25   #426
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

ACL_KY, looks a lot like my stock when it arrived luckily most of the vise marks ironed out of mine but, your mileage may vary? Glad to see it arrived.
Steve
Old February 11, 2019, 21:12   #427
Garth223
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80918
I wonder where Sarco dug up that G1 lower
Garth223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 23:28   #428
ACL_KY
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth223 View Post
I wonder where Sarco dug up that G1 lower
And I wonder how a G1 would have gotten to Nicaragua, from the FSLN carving. Were the G1s sold off to South America once the Germans switched to the G3?
Old February 12, 2019, 09:03   #429
Red Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 79398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACL_KY View Post
And I wonder how a G1 would have gotten to Nicaragua, from the FSLN carving. Were the G1s sold off to South America once the Germans switched to the G3?
I thought they went to Turkey. Maybe SARCO just grabbed what they had lying around. Wouldn't be the first time.
Old February 12, 2019, 10:33   #430
ljspoon
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16947
Mine came with a G1 lower as well, maybe Portuguese?
ljspoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 11:23   #431
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljspoon View Post
Mine came with a G1 lower as well, maybe Portuguese?

this
vvvvvvvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Six View Post
Maybe SARCO just grabbed what they had lying around. Wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited by munchoman; February 12, 2019 at 11:30.
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 12:16   #432
ACL_KY
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchoman View Post
this
vvvvvvvvv

So I suppose sarco just put the stock on a random lower, I guess the same thing happened with the handguards. Is there any difference in G1 and STG58 handguards? Are any of these barrels from G1s?
Old February 12, 2019, 12:45   #433
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

I did notice it has a horizontal(later)take down lever, also ACL_KY?
Steve
Old February 12, 2019, 18:44   #434
ACL_KY
Registered

Yep SB, the takedown lever is horizontal and covers the serial numbers. I noticed some odd "trench art" when got it out of the box today, as well as some Rhodesian screws on the rear sling swivel. One question I can't answer-this a G1 or Steyr lower?

Old February 13, 2019, 06:53   #435
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

From what I been able to find out through my research, there was never any Chilean contract with FN hence the G1 or 3 hand guards? I emailed both FN Herstal and US and asked without ever getting any replies? Mine arrived with a very long stock, Chilean Indians are usually smaller in stature? My
thoughts are FN used up parts from previous contracts(if Chile had a contract, at all)or these were purchased directly from another country or maybe several other countries? Maybe Germany after FN denied them the right to build their own and changed over to CETME 91s or H&Ks? But, now yours shows up with horizontal take down lever and the only way that would work is if Sarco worked their magic and added later model parts to the mystery?
I am not a FAL expert by any means so anyone with more knowledge please chime in here and set me right?
Help please?, Steve
Old February 13, 2019, 10:58   #436
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Quote:
From what I been able to find out through my research, there was never any Chilean contract with FN hence the G1 or 3 hand guards? I emailed both FN Herstal and US and asked without ever getting any replies? Mine arrived with a very long stock, Chilean Indians are usually smaller in stature? My
thoughts are FN used up parts from previous contracts(if Chile had a contract, at all)or these were purchased directly from another country or maybe several other countries? Maybe Germany after FN denied them the right to build their own and changed over to CETME 91s or H&Ks? But, now yours shows up with horizontal take down lever and the only way that would work is if Sarco worked their magic and added later model parts to the mystery?
I am not a FAL expert by any means so anyone with more knowledge please chime in here and set me right?
Help please?, Steve
1. Get the Blake Stevens FAL Bible and read it. It covers the Chilean contract.

2. Its pretty common knowledge that as SARCO gets to the bottom of the barrel, or kits get returned for various reasons, they dig into their warehouse and add and remove parts to make up a complete kit. This explains the G1 lower substitution, and Rhodie painted bits on the recent (and bottom of the barrel) mixmaster "Chilean" kits. Do not read into the mismatched parts.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2019, 11:21   #437
Red Six
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp View Post
Its pretty common knowledge that as SARCO gets to the bottom of the barrel, or kits get returned for various reasons, they dig into their warehouse and add and remove parts to make up a complete kit. This explains the G1 lower substitution, and Rhodie painted bits on the recent (and bottom of the barrel) mixmaster "Chilean" kits. Do not read into the mismatched parts.
^^^^This

The last two "kits" I got from SARCO had Argy sights, Izzy carry handles, a Rhodie lower, an L1A1 bolt and gas plugs, and a BGS bolt carrier. They tend to throw enough parts together to technically be considered a kit. Hence Scrap And Rust Company (SARCO).

Pretty sure they're running out of true Chilean rifles and simply subbing in parts where they're short.
Old February 14, 2019, 15:09   #438
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
I'm pretty sure the last round of "10" kits they had were all returned for various reasons. That said I'm happy I got one as it is a nice change from the Imbel/G1 kits that were available bck in the day.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 15:28   #439
EagleArmsHBAR
Registered

I got my second kit in this week and overall I am impressed. It came with a Cuban lower and the Belgian FN barrel and gas block have some small areas of Rhodesian paint on them. Maybe this rifle was captured by the Rhodies?

Only thing wrong is that the bolt and carrier have some heat damage to them and I will be sending those back for replacement. Other than that, the only missing part is the charging handle lock and pin and the extractor.

Last edited by EagleArmsHBAR; February 16, 2019 at 17:02.
Old February 16, 2019, 20:02   #440
CTW
Registered

Interesting. The Bolt carrier and bolt are sanitized of serials also. Looks like Rhodesian hand guards also

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleArmsHBAR View Post
I got my second kit in this week and overall I am impressed. It came with a Cuban lower and the Belgian FN barrel and gas block have some small areas of Rhodesian paint on them. Maybe this rifle was captured by the Rhodies?

Only thing wrong is that the bolt and carrier have some heat damage to them and I will be sending those back for replacement. Other than that, the only missing part is the charging handle lock and pin and the extractor.

Old February 19, 2019, 08:59   #441
ACL_KY
Registered

Nice kit. You lucked out and got a Cuban lower
Old February 19, 2019, 23:33   #442
CTW
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACL_KY View Post
Nice kit. You lucked out and got a Cuban lower
Out of 4 kits I didnít get one Cuban lower...😐
Old February 20, 2019, 15:03   #443
ACL_KY
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTW View Post
Out of 4 kits I didnít get one Cuban lower...😐
I didn't even get a Chilean lower. Lol
Seeing as sarco shows they're out of stock I won't bother trying to switch it out.
Old February 20, 2019, 15:09   #444
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

What's the significance of Cuban parts why the desire to get these? Aren't they all Belgium to begin with?
Steve
Old February 20, 2019, 15:14   #445
Red Six
Registered

Quote:
What's the significance of Cuban parts why the desire to get these? Aren't they all Belgium to begin with?
Steve
Same as with the fascination with Rhodesian stuff I imagine. Its all about the history. Other than the inverted triangle on the lower by the S/N, there isn't any real difference between the Cuban contract and any other early FAL (BGS, etc). Thing is, that triangle is unusual, has a unique historical context, and is therefore collectible.
Old February 20, 2019, 15:40   #446
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

Hell, when I decided to order the Chilean kit, I hadn't had a FAL in several decades so, was something to actually have another FAL to play with again. ANY FAL. I was used to getting raped on builds before this. This was my first time building one, I've built M1s, M1As, 1911s and of course ARs before but, never a FAL.
Steve

Last edited by S.B.; February 20, 2019 at 15:52.
Old February 22, 2019, 01:16   #447
CTW
Registered

Quote:
Steve
Just something different. I grew up in Miami, so the whole Cuban build kind of appeals to me. I knew some Cuban folks that used to tell stories about Cuba and their experiences.
Old February 22, 2019, 11:42   #448
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:
Steve
They were used to kill communists. Like Russian captured K98s, Rhodesian R1s, and Portuguese G3s.

It just feels good.
Old February 22, 2019, 13:49   #449
CTW
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle View Post
They were used to kill communists. Like Russian captured K98s, Rhodesian R1s, and Portuguese G3s.

It just feels good.
Canít argue with that....👍🏻
Old February 22, 2019, 14:30   #450
S.B.
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle View Post

It just feels good.
Wait a minute, I though Castro was a communist himself????
Steve