The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old February 04, 2019, 10:02   #1
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 78557
Aussie L1A1 Receiver markings

Hello folks Im wondering if anyone could post me a pic of the rcvr markings for a 1963 built aussie, I have a copy of Mr Skennertons book coming in the mail, and I have searched to hell and gone and I have seen quite a few variations, Im going to etch a receiver ( no not doing any shady stuff), and I just want to have the right info for my stencil. If my info is right the left says “ Rifle 7.62mm L1A1 Ser# AD———“ and on the right just the sera number under the ejection port. Am I correct?
Thanks in advance to any who want to help.
"And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ".
--Good OL' TJ
crashmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2019, 12:09   #2
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
I am not certain of differences in years of manufacture, but these are pics of a 1970 production receiver.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2019, 14:22   #3
iandouglasg
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 44021
Wow! is that an Aussie LEO? never seen one before.
iandouglasg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2019, 14:45   #4
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I think original image is Kevin's, this is an L1A1A semi, probably 1980s

Note there is no distinction between 1 an I. The I is a lower case l

This is from an AD63 LEO

AD69 LEO SPF (before)

after
Old February 04, 2019, 15:16   #5
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandouglasg View Post
Yup.

Matching number trigger housing, too.

The owner allowed me to take pics for reference only.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2019, 15:30   #6
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaniac View Post
Hello folks Im wondering if anyone could post me a pic of the rcvr markings for a 1963 built aussie, I have a copy of Mr Skennertons book coming in the mail, and I have searched to hell and gone and I have seen quite a few variations, Im going to etch a receiver ( no not doing any shady stuff), and I just want to have the right info for my stencil. If my info is right the left says “ Rifle 7.62mm L1A1 Ser# AD———“ and on the right just the sera number under the ejection port. Am I correct?
Thanks in advance to any who want to help.
If memory serves, the serial number was centered over the lightening cut early on (later shifted forward as TDB59's picture shows) and was inverted from sometime in 1972 onward.

Gunplumber, do you have a matching right-side photo of that LEO rifle from 1963, that could confirm or refute?

Last edited by enbloc8; February 04, 2019 at 15:40. Reason: corrected information
enbloc8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2019, 19:31   #7
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

Thanks for the input all needed tge gelp from the SLR brain trust. Im building the Kiwi airforce kit Fallujah grunt just sold me on the MP, such a beautiful kit I want it right. Or as close as I can get it.

Mark Im guessing the AD63 LEO is probably close to what my kit looked like built, great pic with the commas and periods too thats gonna help A LOT.

Another question:

There already is some good info on the forum but Question has to do with paint over park or parker only. Closely examining my kit there is remnants iof what Im pretty sure is the Brolite paint. It is a 1963 Rifle so I guess it was armorer refurbished. Im not a total dolt I know some of the small parts may be from a mixed lot of rifles from when the rifles were chopped up. Thats fine I understand that. Numbered parts match fine.

Paint is on some of the lower, trigger gaurd is totally painted it is nearly perfect actually, the rear gas part is painted too and some other small parts.The rest appears to be new parker. Except Barrel’s parker is well patinaed almost looks blued but not worn it is in great shape and looks fantastic, at least to me.

My question is which way to go with it finish wise? I wonder if I should paint over park the upper receiver and leave the rest alone or just parker the upper. Or paint and bake the whole thing the nice patina on the barrel makes me hesitant to paint it. I have plenty of refinishing experience painting and baking AKs so I wont dick it up.I think it would look ok if I paint the upper and dust cover , maybe patina them a skosh. There is maybe a 3rd of the paint left on the lower,So just leave it and barrel alone. Just dunno if any Kiwi weapons were mixed lot like that as far as finish. I love paint over parker it is my favorite finish though.

Your input is more then welcome on this.
"And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ".
--Good OL' TJ

Last edited by crashmaniac; February 04, 2019 at 19:36.
Old February 05, 2019, 00:48   #8
enbloc8
Registered

Near as I can tell (others here can speak with more authority), Kiwi rifles were not refinished with stoving paint during FTR...but they did purchase painted replacement parts from both Britain and Australia, and added them to their rifles during repairs/rebuilds, without consideration for overall appearance.

I also amend my prior statement about serial number inversion...it took place in 1971, not '72...1972 was when the painted finish began to be applied at Lithgow.

Personally, for a 1963 rifle, I would say give it the phosphated finish...they looked really cool. Some NOS war-reserve rifles from 1963 and 64 made it over here from New Zealand, and were assembled on Entreprise receivers...they look absolutely stunning.
Old February 05, 2019, 00:57   #9
enbloc8
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandouglasg View Post
I remember seeing one here in the past...if I recall correctly, it was an Aussie upper (with inverted serial) on a British lower. Probably assembled from one of the Lithgow rifles purchased to (finally) replace the RAF's No. 4 Enfields in the early 70s.
Old February 05, 2019, 10:15   #10
Airforce1
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 73010
Hello,

Please see some pictures of my L1A1 Australian made in 1962, with some close up pictures on lower and upper receivers The serial number is engraved on the bolt but it is hard to read.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 - Copy.JPG (201.2 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg 2 - Copy.JPG (203.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 3 - Copy.JPG (95.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 3a - Copy.JPG (151.2 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 4 - Copy.JPG (97.1 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 5 - Copy.JPG (119.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 6 - Copy.JPG (118.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 7 - Copy.JPG (116.1 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg 8 - Copy.JPG (137.4 KB, 201 views)
Airforce1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 10:40   #11
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Interesting - no period after Ll but there is after Al
Old February 05, 2019, 11:02   #12
enbloc8
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Interesting - no period after Ll but there is after Al
I notice that area looks slightly inset...could the original markings have been machined off with an end mill and then restamped, like to renew worn markings during a rebuild?
Old February 05, 2019, 11:40   #13
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by enbloc8 View Post

I also amend my prior statement about serial number inversion...it took place in 1971, not '72...1972 was when the painted finish began to be applied at Lithgow.

In reviewing material for the new book, it appears that S/N were inverted, then reverted back (at least some...still a study in progress). I can't recall the date ranges without looking at my notes. Of course, there's the upside down replacement body S/N too.
Old February 05, 2019, 11:52   #14
Airforce1
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
I notice that area looks slightly inset...could the original markings have been machined off with an end mill and then restamped, like to renew worn markings during a rebuild?
My rifle was never been rebuilt and there is no FTR marking anywhere.
Old February 05, 2019, 14:41   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I don't think so - the tool marks / striations appear normal.

UK rifles with serial number left rear had problems with charge handle eventually wearing the number off. I'd not be surprised if there was a slight instep after the L1A1 marking, to better clear the charge handle. The smoother surface indicates it was machined as a separate process. The texture under the markings still looks original correct and not wiped/remarked. But you're right - the rear portion has been resurfaced. Page 98 of Skinnerton shows a 58 body with the serial number on left side like UK. I wonder if it is an old receiver that had number wiped on left side and assigned a new number on right side at a later date?
Old February 05, 2019, 18:27   #16
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

Wow this is awesome, thanks for being so forthvcoming gents wonderful intresting information, Im like a damned sponge.
--Good OL' TJ
Old February 06, 2019, 09:34   #17
kar66
Registered

FALaholic #: 63420
Colors

I love the looks of the different colors of the different parts. Being a old M1 carbine collector to me contrasting coloring of parts says original finish. I know to others it says "parts gun". But that's the way I feel about finish.
kar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 13:53   #18
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
Yup.

Matching number trigger housing, too.

The owner allowed me to take pics for reference only.

I think I have seen this rifle too.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 14:48   #19
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689

Old February 06, 2019, 16:59   #20
y18376
Registered

FALaholic #: 76824
It is a replacement part and satisfies the "Fit Form Function" requirement

Paint finish began 1970.

QUOTE=enbloc8;4693528]Near as I can tell (others here can speak with more authority), Kiwi rifles were not refinished with stoving paint during FTR...but they did purchase painted replacement parts from both Britain and Australia, and added them to their rifles during repairs/rebuilds, without consideration for overall appearance.

Personally, for a 1963 rifle, I would say give it the phosphated finish...they looked really cool. Some NOS war-reserve rifles from 1963 and 64 made it over here from New Zealand, and were assembled on Entreprise receivers...they look absolutely stunning.[/QUOTE]
y18376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 17:25   #21
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

Alright guys super good info in this thread. I am gonna leave her parked , with the painted parts mixed in, finished her for the most part today. Went pretty well with just one snag that was mostly just my apprehension to screwing things up but its done. I ended up tracking down the #1 breeching washer I needed here locally so I will save one coming in the mail. Yes I used ome
of the century recievers, ones with almost no visible markings .

Both sides are blank at least even if wrong magwell cut. I have the correct stencils ordered to electro etch the correct markings coming from thorshammer , great guy btw, friend of mine. We both thank you all for the info so that he can get them made.The Font height may be a slight problem for the stencils so they may be just a hair taller then original but thats ok, its a clone not the real deal. I may buy a better body for her in the future should one come available we will see. For the price I took a chamce and got lucky. I will break out pin gauges tomorrow to headspace her but I already know that the locking shoulder space is ok and one will press in.

Believe it or not I didnt have any issues with the Gunbroker CAI receiver. Thought I at one point did but was in my head . Fully expected
a cat rodeo of epic proportions but was pleasently suprised. Parker even was nice.Everything went perfect and it even cycles rounds from Inch mags just fine, Metric mags are hit or miss but I think thats normal.
--Good OL' TJ

Last edited by crashmaniac; February 06, 2019 at 23:55.
Old February 06, 2019, 23:58   #22
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by y18376 View Post

Paint finish began 1970.
....72 from the factory I think, my book is not handy, but 71 were still parked and 73 were painted...

(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 03:59   #23
y18376
Registered

You could PM NZ L1A1 Collector here and ask him to email separately pic's of AD 70 series L1A1 with paint finish.

[QUOTE=Andy the Aussie;4694557]....72 from the factory I think, my book is not handy, but 71 were still parked and 73 were painted...
Old February 07, 2019, 08:35   #24
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

I have noticed this discoloration on numerous Lithgow rifles anyone know what it is? Kind of a gold color. Maybe a mark from some kind of rifle rack, looks like it may be from contact with brass. Any clue Gents?
--Good OL' TJ
Old February 07, 2019, 08:46   #25
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I have noticed this discoloration on numerous Lithgow rifles anyone know what it is? Kind of a gold color. Maybe a mark from some kind of rifle rack, looks like it may be from contact with brass. Any clue Gents?
Heat treat line - park colors steel different shades depending on hardness.

Very obvious on StG lowers.

Andy's pic above is just two shades. That's probably more common, but sometimes I get a third transitionary zone which is what you are seeing.
Old February 07, 2019, 09:40   #26
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

^^Ok first one on my post is Andy’s, other is actually on mine, same exact spot

I guess a Mod moved this thread, sorry , I put it In DIY because I planned on adding my etching process with pics when the stencils come in. But I guess more Inch fans will see it here.
--Good OL' TJ

Last edited by crashmaniac; February 07, 2019 at 09:49.
Old February 07, 2019, 10:50   #27
Airforce1
Registered
Contributor

Quote:

I got the same discoloration on my Australian L1A1. See above pictures in my post.
Old February 07, 2019, 11:57   #28
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Here is a pic. of my '63. Hope it helps.

01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 12:01   #29
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Another of '63.

01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 12:30   #30
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

^I should have a few of the above lithgow arsenal marks coming as well with my stencils.
--Good OL' TJ
Old February 08, 2019, 23:52   #31
enbloc8
Registered

[QUOTE=y18376;4694611]You could PM NZ L1A1 Collector here and ask him to email separately pic's of AD 70 series L1A1 with paint finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
....72 from the factory I think, my book is not handy, but 71 were still parked and 73 were painted...
That would be intriguing indeed...Skennerton said '72, but maybe there was some experimenting going on before it became a factory production change?

I've seen pics of a few '70s and at least one '71 (all overseas) posted here in the past, with phosphate finish.
Old February 08, 2019, 23:54   #32
enbloc8
Registered

Quote:

How are those rifles doing these days? Still dropping rogue pigs and such?
Old February 09, 2019, 16:36   #33
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
How are those rifles doing these days? Still dropping rogue pigs and such?
.... most are worn out and replaced now I think. It's been a bit but when in use they get shot LOTS....! I believe SCARs are starting to show up now.
Old February 10, 2019, 15:41   #34
y18376
Registered

As part of the ANZAC ship build and fit out a couple of 70 series paint finish L1A1 were supplied, perhaps it was the configuration supplied to R.A.N .

[QUOTE=enbloc8;4695587]
Quote:
Originally Posted by y18376 View Post
You could PM NZ L1A1 Collector here and ask him to email separately pic's of AD 70 series L1A1 with paint finish.

That would be intriguing indeed...Skennerton said '72, but maybe there was some experimenting going on before it became a factory production change?

I've seen pics of a few '70s and at least one '71 (all overseas) posted here in the past, with phosphate finish.
Old February 10, 2019, 23:46   #35
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

The ANZAC frigates didn't come about till 93, my guess is that if there were painted 1970 made rifles they were either FTRs or base workshop painted. The RAN had a higher attrition rate (so I understand it) on most gear, including rifles, due to salt water/air exposure. Preventative work maybe ??
Old February 11, 2019, 16:13   #36
y18376
Registered

That would explain it. Never understood why local stock was not requested and shipped over to satisfy the fit out but the ship builders must treated like a R.A.N build

Quote:
The ANZAC frigates didn't come about till 93, my guess is that if there were painted 1970 made rifles they were either FTRs or base workshop painted. The RAN had a higher attrition rate (so I understand it) on most gear, including rifles, due to salt water/air exposure. Preventative work maybe ??
Old February 11, 2019, 22:13   #37
enbloc8
Registered

Quote:
.... most are worn out and replaced now I think. It's been a bit but when in use they get shot LOTS....! I believe SCARs are starting to show up now.
Are there any more ex-war stocks SLRs coming in to replace them, or have we now seen the end of the SLR era in government service?

I suppose nearly ten years of heavy use is a good life for any SLR....
Old February 11, 2019, 23:26   #38
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

No there are none left stored, hence the SCARs. Over few days it would not be unusual for one of those rifles to have to fire 5K rounds, so that adds up quick...
Old February 12, 2019, 00:35   #39
enbloc8
Registered

Quote:
No there are none left stored, hence the SCARs. Over few days it would not be unusual for one of those rifles to have to fire 5K rounds, so that adds up quick...

I remember the pic somebody posted of a FAL and SLR receiver, each of which had cracked after about 150,000 rounds in hard use with professional hunters in New Zealand...how many barrel changes would these Aussie SLRs have received over their culling-service lives??
Old February 12, 2019, 14:10   #40
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

Depends, one I used back in the 80s was at about 40+K on the original barrel. Still worked well enough for the task but it was due for a change.
Old February 12, 2019, 16:05   #41
y18376
Registered

From memory ? there was no FTR marking which suggests Base workshop. The serial number and designation markings were white engravers wax/paint filled.They were reconfigured to the same as local stock at annual inspection..

Quote: