The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old February 10, 2019, 14:34   #1
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
Have a FN49 issue..!*$?!! BHO spring pizsing me off.

Hi guys ,i have a fn49 i resurrected from a pile of rusty parts and while its an interesting tale, this bho spring issue is pissing me off.
Basically the spring on the one in the pile was shot,bent to hell. I could not find just a repl spring so bought another bho with spring... noticed the end of the spring that butts against the bottom of the receiver was stretched out to a bigger diameter,tried installing it, and it would not depress flush in the receiver to allow the carrier to travel forward all the way. So take the frikkin thing apart again..basically after a couple more tries i just said f it and clipped the offending couple coils...worked soso.
My ocd kicked in and i recently tried yet another complete bho and spring..same issue,got pissed ,put the clipped on back in and chucked it back in the safe before i chucked it against the wall.. WTFH...

Can someone tell me what im doing wrong,do i need to wrap the large end around the 'stud/post' that the bho rides in or what? I thought about it but it does not look right. Anyone have a source for a nos spring...lousy little thin wire rinky dink looking #**#!

Thanks for letting me rant...
EinheitElf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 18:16   #2
skinnydash
Registered

FALaholic #: 79317
I believe there's a pressed on washer that holds the BHO unit together. Mine is missing that washer. Every time I take my 49 apart, I have to be careful or that spring will roll away. Is yours missing that washer?

If you don't have any more extras, here is an auction for 5 of em.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792440995

Last edited by skinnydash; February 11, 2019 at 16:33.
skinnydash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 19:02   #3
EinheitElf
Registered

My bho is complete,it is just the spring end at the top of the bho is all stretched out to a larger diameter,like it or all of them,are wrapped around the raised round part of the receiver the bho slides into or through. So the spring causes the bho travel to bind up and not fully depress flush into the receiver. Definitely the spring is the issue ,not the bho itself.
Old February 10, 2019, 21:54   #4
madrad62
Registered

FALaholic #: 78107
better you than me!
madrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 11:20   #5
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
That darn spring gave me a lot of grief as well. I finally figured out that the magazine plays a big part, it needs to be oriented exactly right. Kinda hard to explain, but keep it in mind.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 13:40   #6
EinheitElf
Registered

Thanks. I may just buy those bho on gb and i will have a look at the magazine,follower in particular..