The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old February 09, 2019, 15:21   #1
Kondrik
Registered

FALaholic #: 82116
L1A1 Pistol grip project

Hello everyone!

I recently bought a British L1A1. It is my first rifle and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is the pistol grip. That thing is uncomfortable as hell. I tried putting a Hogue grip sleeve on it, but I wasn't satisfied.

Because aftermarket parts and upgrades for inch pattern rifles are basically non existent, I'm playing with an idea of making my own pistol grip entirely.

Here's the idea - I would use a Magpul MOE-K2 pistol grip for an AK. That grip is flat and straight on the top and front end, just like the L1A1 standard grip. For start I'd fill the top with epoxy, then drill one hole for the trigger plunger and its spring and one for the grip screw. Then screw the front plate in.

I haven't figured out how to put the trigger guard in the assembly. I'd probably use FAL trigger guard.

Do you think it's doable, or a total bullsh... mistake?

Kondrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2019, 15:42   #2
y18376
Registered

FALaholic #: 76824
It is what it is, learn to love it like the rest of the rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kondrik View Post
Hello everyone!

I recently bought a British L1A1. It is my first rifle and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is the pistol grip. That thing is uncomfortable as hell. I tried putting a Hogue grip sleeve on it, but I wasn't satisfied.

Because aftermarket parts and upgrades for inch pattern rifles are basically non existent, I'm playing with an idea of making my own pistol grip entirely.

Here's the idea - I would use a Magpul MOE-K2 pistol grip for an AK. That grip is flat and straight on the top and front end, just like the L1A1 standard grip. For start I'd fill the top with epoxy, then drill one hole for the trigger plunger and its spring and one for the grip screw. Then screw the front plate in.

I haven't figured out how to put the trigger guard in the assembly. I'd probably use FAL trigger guard.

y18376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 13:42   #3
Kondrik
Registered

Well, that was not the helpful answer I was hoping for

Let me rephrase my question: Are there any possible problems or even dangers that could occur?
Old February 10, 2019, 21:34   #4
lysanderxiii
Registered

FALaholic #: 70039
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Well the cost of admission is only $20. Worse comes to worse keep the old one.
lysanderxiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 22:13   #5
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
Well the cost of admission is only $20. Worse comes to worse keep the old one.
I like this answer
Near Sighted Sniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 23:48   #6
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
If the original grip is too small, wrong contour, and you could care less about it being original, add or remove wood, rebuild it to a shape and contour you like., that fits your hand.

Being wood, you can do anything with it.

Pistol grips for the SLR are still cheap and available, make what you want.

What exactly are you looking for concerning fit?

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 02:09   #7
Kondrik
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
If the original grip is too small, wrong contour, and you could care less about it being original, add or remove wood, rebuild it to a shape and contour you like., that fits your hand.

Being wood, you can do anything with it.

Pistol grips for the SLR are still cheap and available, make what you want.

What exactly are you looking for concerning fit?
Thank you for the idea.

My rifle came with the plastic furniture. The grip is too square to my liking. I am also looking for more vertical shape. Like when DS Arms put the M249 on their SA58 FALs.

And I also plan on keeping the original pistol grip intact, in case I wanted to make it stock again.

The Magpul grip seems ideal for my evil experiments. Although, I'm not sure how to fit a trigger guard into it, or if an epoxy is strong enough material. Or if I'm gonna be able to properly dril and thread a hole for the grip screw.

I guess I'm just gonna try and see. If it works, maybe it will be an inspiration for other people. If it doesn't, it'll serve as a warning
Old February 11, 2019, 09:00   #8
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Just take the plastic grip and build it up with marine tex or other resin.
Old February 11, 2019, 09:46   #9
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Thank you for the idea.

My rifle came with the plastic furniture. The grip is too square to my liking. I am also looking for more vertical shape. Like when DS Arms put the M249 on their SA58 FALs.

And I also plan on keeping the original pistol grip intact, in case I wanted to make it stock again.

The Magpul grip seems ideal for my evil experiments. Although, I'm not sure how to fit a trigger guard into it, or if an epoxy is strong enough material. Or if I'm gonna be able to properly dril and thread a hole for the grip screw.

I guess I'm just gonna try and see. If it works, maybe it will be an inspiration for other people. If it doesn't, it'll serve as a warning

I REALLY don't care for the plastic grips either.

Rather than fussing around trying to cut and fit parts to another plastic grip, grab a wood one, shape/contour it to your hand, get it where ya want it to be, then apply 3 or 4 coats of black enamel paint, making it look like plastic and don't have any issues with fitting the original trigger plate, pins, screws, springs etc.
Just stay away from those critical fitment areas up front and where the grip seats to the lower.

Mark mentioned building it up with plastic/fiberglass, then shaping to your desires/needs, another good option.

Trying to fit a grip, that is not designed for the rifle, all the critical fitment areas must be addressed, which is time consuming and subject to failure, using an existing grip, that was designed for the rifle, adding and removing materials is going to be a lot easier and insures the end product actually fits properly.

The trigger plate and plunger, needs to be near exact to exert the proper pressure and tension on the trigger or you will end up with major problems.

Avoiding all that will make a man real happy at the end of the day.

Old February 11, 2019, 09:52   #10
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Being in the Czech Republic, can you have parts for your rifle shipped in from the states, other countries, legally????

Old February 12, 2019, 02:47   #11
Kondrik
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
I REALLY don't care for the plastic grips either.

Rather than fussing around trying to cut and fit parts to another plastic grip, grab a wood one, shape/contour it to your hand, get it where ya want it to be, then apply 3 or 4 coats of black enamel paint, making it look like plastic and don't have any issues with fitting the original trigger plate, pins, screws, springs etc.
Just stay away from those critical fitment areas up front and where the grip seats to the lower.

Mark mentioned building it up with plastic/fiberglass, then shaping to your desires/needs, another good option.

Trying to fit a grip, that is not designed for the rifle, all the critical fitment areas must be addressed, which is time consuming and subject to failure, using an existing grip, that was designed for the rifle, adding and removing materials is going to be a lot easier and insures the end product actually fits properly.

The trigger plate and plunger, needs to be near exact to exert the proper pressure and tension on the trigger or you will end up with major problems.

Avoiding all that will make a man real happy at the end of the day.
OK, thank you for the advise. I'll try reshaping a wooden grip.

At this moment it seems more difficult than drilling few holes, but I'll trust you.

To answer your question - as long as there are no legal issues or requirements on US (or other) side, any small part is OK for me to get. I can't easily order parts as barrels, a main body of a reciever, bolt carriers. A frame and a slide of a pistol or a frame and a cylinder of a revolver. Anything else is fine.

I could order even those main parts, but that is extremely time consuming, fairly expensive and logistical and legal pain in the butt
Old February 12, 2019, 09:27   #12
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
OK, thank you for the advise. I'll try reshaping a wooden grip.

At this moment it seems more difficult than drilling few holes, but I'll trust you.

To answer your question - as long as there are no legal issues or requirements on US (or other) side, any small part is OK for me to get. I can't easily order parts as barrels, a main body of a reciever, bolt carriers. A frame and a slide of a pistol or a frame and a cylinder of a revolver. Anything else is fine.

I could order even those main parts, but that is extremely time consuming, fairly expensive and logistical and legal pain in the butt
Check your PM's.

Old February 13, 2019, 01:30   #13
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
I always believed the flat front was the main problem. I cut some aluminum sheet metal 1/16" or about 1.5mm thick cut to fit under the "popsicle stick" to raise it. I then sanded a rounded contour that blends with the main body of the grip. Just that little raised and rounded front strap made it much more comfortable. The wooden grips do the same, but with some edges. They are still more comfortable than the plastic because of the raised center. So I got the same or better comfort in a plastic type.
Otherwise the inch grip isn't bad. The angle is better than metrics. The M249 grip is even better. Too bad nothing like that was done for inch rifles.
kysjck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2019, 08:46   #14
Kondrik
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysjck View Post
I always believed the flat front was the main problem. I cut some aluminum sheet metal 1/16" or about 1.5mm thick cut to fit under the "popsicle stick" to raise it. I then sanded a rounded contour that blends with the main body of the grip. Just that little raised and rounded front strap made it much more comfortable. The wooden grips do the same, but with some edges. They are still more comfortable than the plastic because of the raised center. So I got the same or better comfort in a plastic type.
Otherwise the inch grip isn't bad. The angle is better than metrics. The M249 grip is even better. Too bad nothing like that was done for inch rifles.

You're right, the front is the most uncomfortable part, especially after a longer session at the range. Your solution seems like a great idea. Would you send me some pictures how it's mounted?
Old February 14, 2019, 08:55   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
So just a thought, since it may be marketable if many others think this way - a replacement popsicle stick that is half round but encompasses the whole width of the grip and affixes with an inset portion, as the original?
Old February 14, 2019, 15:12   #16
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
That would be great. My modification simply thickened the popsicle stick by 1/16" by adding material to the back side, then rounding the front so the edges are flush with the front of the grip. I used aluminum sheet metal glued to the back, but plastic would work as well. A one piece plastic popsicle stick that's 1/16" thicker and rounded on the front and maybe textured could be better.
I have found the wooden grip steel/wood type works in Maranyl grips. So a plastic popsicle stick insert for the steel front cover is my favorite. This eliminates the sharp corners in the trigger guard near the hinge and looks better too. Of course the insert would best if round top and textured. I'm surprised the Brits never thought of this. It would have eliminated the need for a different trigger guard just for the Maranyl furniture.
kysjck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2019, 17:50   #17
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Just a mention:

Back in the 70s the Canucks came up with a very nice shelved target grip for the C1. I ended up with 5 that came out of the Shiloh proving grounds
all were made out of like automotive bondo as a test bed.
last couple ended up with Brad@Gunthings in the early 2000s

Allegedly these were supposed to be used on the DMR C1s with the Lietz optic
no way they were fakes, my Canuck army contact gave them to me when I bought a few optics

Don't even know if they are in Skinnerton's or other reference works
more like a PSG1 HK grip than anything else
Brad was pretty much all meh' at the time and there was no active interest in such things back then

Story was they completed trials just as the Canadians decided to look into a 5.56mm weapon
who knows though
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote