The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Class III Files

Notices

Old April 20, 2017, 11:39   #1
ratas calientes
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1841
Assume . . . that one made a suppressor wipe . . .

So . . . . let's assume . . . that someone wanted to make a suppressor wipe.
What would be the preferred design of said wipe . . . (1) solid, then just shoot a hole through it (2) punch a small hole about the size of the bullet in the center (3) cut an X or similar feature in the middle to aid bullet exit or (4) other?

Just wondering . . . I know that no one would EVER really make such a dangerous item.
Old April 20, 2017, 13:43   #2
greenpeas
Registered

FALaholic #: 21487
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...ighlight=wipes
greenpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 13:55   #3
eternal24k
Registered

FALaholic #: 26370
Old April 20, 2017, 14:00   #4
ratas calientes
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the link. If one had searched for such info . . . I don't know why . . . . maybe they had a hard time finding it . . .
Old April 20, 2017, 21:11   #5
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Could be the NSA re-directed your search engine to non-offending web sites as is required.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 21:25   #6
ratas calientes
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Could be the NSA re-directed your search engine to non-offending web sites as is required.
With my luck, that would be true.

I do recall seeing a youtube video of a fella using wipes and testing with wire pulling gel, etc., Surprised me when I couldn't find it. IIRC, he was just cutting slits into his wipes.
Old April 21, 2017, 08:48   #7
hueyville
Registered

FALaholic #: 74557
Have three suppressors that use wipes. Two Sionics for M11's in 380 and one Form 1 22 rimfire can. Wipes in Sionics cans are thick and was told if dropped in rubber wipes without a pilot hole the cans "could or would" unglue themselves. With the 22 can used to cut a fresh wipe for the end of it using scissors and fire through it then next few mags were very quiet and by 50 rounds was ready for a fresh one. Now am blessed with owning a three axis CNC router that will cut aluminum, brass and any non ferrous metal plus wood, plastics, acrylics, polycarbonates, foam and even rubber to 0.006" accuracy. Go to local rubber supplier, buy the correct durometer (hardness) and thickness rubber sheets and machine cuts perfect wipes.

As just a rubber washer am reasonably sure there are no legal issues with cutting someone a few to a particular specification if were so inclined. What person does with the washer is on them like people selling solvent trap parts. On my 380 wipes have the machine cut an 0.350" hole dead center to ensure good seal without the first round totally over pressuring the can. With my rimfire can have the CNC center a 0.200" hole which actually gives me more "quiet" shots than shooting through an unpunched wipe. My assumption is that using the hand cut then shooting through it, lack of any hole causes first round to stretch the wipe as bullet pushed through thus it's out of round and does not seal properly from onset.

Best method I found pre-CNC was finding a hole saw that was proper inside diameter and centered a proper diameter drill bit for bullet hole but never was able to get drill bit to drill a perfectly crisp hole though rubber. One issue is spinning bits love to grab rubber and twist you inside out while rubber sheet beats the crap out of you. When cutting in my CNC even using a high tack adhesive on bottom side of rubber and cut through the rubber to adhesive base using a 25 horsepower vaccum hold down it will occasionally sling one across the shop. A seven horsepower high frequency spindle motor turning 20,000 RPM will fling a wipe across shop hard enough to kill someone. Machine is set up to pause long enough to clear the shop area before bit engages rubber. If knew O.D., I.D., thickness and durometer of rubber washers a person might need just might cut them. BTW, Lowe's stocks rubber washers of different diameters and hole sizes in their fastener department. Might be a good place to start looking then Fastenall has huge selection in catalog and ship to your door.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017, 08:58   #8
eternal24k
Registered

FALaholic #: 26370
Just keep this in mind, ATF did just classify rubber wipes as suppressor parts

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/03/20/wipes-silencer-parts/
Old April 21, 2017, 09:39   #9
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post

Actually BATFE decided Dead Air could not supply extra wipes with it's cans nor sell replacement wipes individually (as not in the can). No reversal that the owner can't replace a worn out wipe with a new one (self made) but of course you are not supposed to have extra wipes.
Old April 21, 2017, 12:21   #10
ratas calientes
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post

Hence my nebulous first post.
Old April 21, 2017, 16:02   #11
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
news flash
batmen raid home depot and lowes, park rose is next

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017, 16:42   #12
hueyville
Registered

My Lord! Had no idea. No extra rubber washers? Was in Lowe's this afternoon picking up another Door Armor kit and for grins looked in the rubber washer bins. Probably had several hundred that would suffice as a wipe in some specific suppressor. Can they walk into Lowe's and shut them down? Since I use rubber washers all the time specifically as rubber washers for work but own suppressors that use wipes can they classify my washers as wipes? This issue is going to require some study on my part. Firing up the CNC and doing "one off" wipes would not be terrible but sure is easier to cut a dozen at a time when doing such. I honestly do wonder about my inventory of vehicle service parts. Just disposed of all custom cut washers and will figure out how to not get in future trouble when a unit needs replacement. All my business trucks are under DOT mandate for regular service and the Caterpillar fuel filters, uses two in line, are exact same filters see one particular guy use with his Form 4 adapter.

Another ruling I read about is the filter is ruled as part of the suppressor and supposed to be serial numbered and returned to maker when filter needs changed. Seller of the device ships just his little 1/228 to 3/4" NPT device and Utube video when I watched he said use one of several filters he recomends and to pick up at any automotive parts store and replace as necessary. Seems like his video is old or he is misinformed as manufacturer. Of course not watched said video in a year, may be totally re-edited now.

Saw this on fleabay referring to a thread adapter NAPA part number.

Quote:
NAPA 4003 Plumbing Thread Adapter

NEAR FLUSH FIT Design
Mil-Spec Black,
PICK YOUR SIZE!*

NEW!
9/16-24LH FN/FAL
Tell me thats not a case of intent to use a part outside of its design parameters. I have never ordered a solvent trap part but have parts on my trucks that shipped from Dodge and GMC or came from truck supply house people sell on fleabay for what appears to be less than honest uses. Just how the freak does BATFE distinguish between automotive parts and suppressor parts? Guy selling nice looking flash hider that happen to have NPT threads machined into outside of flash hider body. Where does this item become illegal? When take poesession, when install on rifle or not unless actually screw an oil filter on it after installing on gun?

Have seven Form 4 suppressors and two Form 1 suppressors. Guess I need to make sure no truck parts will direct thread to a suppressor or rifle then any that will only order as need and install on truck immediately. This is just freaking mad. Seems like a person buying a pile of legal cans would show his automotive supplies are just automotive supplies. Cheaters sure monkey up the rules and their interpretation for the folk who have nothing but legal and honest intent.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old April 22, 2017, 13:04   #13
ratas calientes
Registered
Bronze Contributor

BATFE ran off its rails years ago.
Old April 22, 2017, 16:58   #14
Thomas
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7451
wipes

Hockey puck
Old April 28, 2017, 03:56   #15
hueyville
Registered

In Lowe's day before yesterday on fastener isle. Use these all the time for work but out of curiosity measured a few. There were sizes that pretty much covered all my needs for suppressor wipes. Used to keep an entire tray in one bin full of rubber washers which is stocked monthly by local industrial supply. Told them no more rubber washers for now, will buy however many need for a job, as I need. Last thing I need is a visit by some agency, see my indoor range and go pilfering through my dozens of fastener bins and chests. Crap, have enough rivets to build a B52 bomber but not going to try that project. Having to worry about legality of raw materials in your business is totally odd.

Don't even want to think about plumbing parts, gas pipe connectors, truck service, HVAC and more. Crap, are the empty plastic Coke bottles in trash and rolls of tape on tape storage unit a violation? The implications of the single wipe rule are staggering.