The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old December 30, 2016, 14:44   #1
unionguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 36394
Pandemic threat is real

Not just Bill Gates, we are overdue by historical standards.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7501536.html
unionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016, 15:05   #2
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Gates is a compete ass, but like a broken clock, both are right a couple times a day.

Food, water, and maintain a 300 foot ZERO contact rule until it runs its course.
No warm host, no virus.
Old December 30, 2016, 15:54   #3
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
At least he has no vested interest in vaccines:

http://www.gavi.org/funding/donor-profiles/bmgf/

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2013/06/07...-philanthropy/
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016, 17:36   #4
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

You noticed I did not mention vaccines, as in taking them when a pandemic hits???

Vaccines or pandemic?????

Mother nature has a much better way to handle this shit than gates and crew.
Old December 30, 2016, 20:18   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Vaccines are good to keep up with, due to compromised immune system take two different flu shots every fall. With two flu shots, pneumonia inoculation and a big shot of gamo-globulin just before Thanksgiving to boost the immune system still caught a strain that was not covered in the inoculations. There are so many strains of flu and so many new mutating that there is no way to guarantee not catching one, especially the nasty types. Onset of first symptom as, 36 hours after Thanksgiving dinner took my first Tamiflu and followed directions of running the entire dose. By Monday was bad sick, Tuesday called doctor for antibiotics, cough medicine, decongestant plus he recommended two OTC meds.

By Thursday my temperature had hit 102° three times and finally cracked 103°. Doc said if topped 103° to call him and he would preadmit me to keep me from sitting two hours or more in waiting room behind all the illegal hispanics using the emergency room as their free gateway medical care center. Told him wife was unable to walk much able drive, park and come inside or drop me then get home and in house by herself so punched 911 to get some of my now $3,000 per month insurance money back (thanx Nobama, had to change plans because my existing was not gender neutral. Now all have to cover OBGYN and gynocologist in case my puss¥ starts stinking) and rode the ambulance to the bypass Hispanic door and straight to room where I.V. stands already had a bag racked and tray had the special coctail doctor wanted in me to beat darn thing back. Three bags of fluids with half dozen different syringes of stuff added and temperature was back under 101° so they released me, called a cab (security offered to drive me home as other campus just 1.5 miles from house but told my guy he didn't really want to ride in a vehicle with me) soon the Mexican cabby pulled up and home I came. Still felt bad but tolerable.

If we have real pandemic, 30 feet outdoors is bare minimum. Unless caught by surprise if pandemic starts running (can log in as see what patients have what, how many active cases in all Region B hospitals) turning my HVAC system to charcoal filter protected, positive pressure setting to run 24/7 and staying in house till they have the bodies cleaned up. Wife's panic room has a real positive pressure air filtration system that will stop most anything but to add an active carbon filtered cold air return feeding clean air into the HVAC system and then just a matter of pressing a button to open the damper and flip switch on thermometer to constant run was less than $250 not counting filters. Have enough to swap as needed for some time. If keep your house at positive pressure with clean filtered air your 1,000% better off than rest of mankind if a bug or toxin gets loose.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016, 22:23   #6
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Statistical certainty it'll happen.... sooner or later.
Old December 30, 2016, 22:54   #7
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
You noticed I did not mention vaccines, as in taking them when a pandemic hits???

Vaccines or pandemic?????

Mother nature has a much better way to handle this shit than gates and crew.
I was commenting on the article, not your reply.
Old December 30, 2016, 22:56   #8
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Vaccines are good to keep up with, ... just before Thanksgiving to boost the immune system still caught a strain that was not covered in the inoculations. There are so many strains of flu and so many new mutating that there is no way to guarantee not catching one, especially the nasty types. .....
I think you refuted your own supposition.
Old December 30, 2016, 22:59   #9
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Statistical certainty it'll happen.... sooner or later.
Yep, it's when, not if.

I got the flu last year. i thought it was a bad cold as I had no fever. Then I read that the flu doesn't necessarily cause a fever. I went to work and went on with my life. Luckily I don't think I got anyone else sick, but I always try to take precautions, even when only sick with a cold. I think I would have taken the time off had I known it was the flu.
Old December 30, 2016, 23:06   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Lighten up dudes. This is Bill Gates. We have a certain amount of resistance as our ancestors survived the plague. Ole 0302 isn't going to get smallpox soon. Beer and chocolate is your friend.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016, 00:00   #11
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Lighten up dudes. This is Bill Gates. We have a certain amount of resistance as our ancestors survived the plague. Ole 0302 isn't going to get smallpox soon. Beer and chocolate is your friend.
Fascinating premise. Where did you earn your PhD in microbiology?
Old December 31, 2016, 00:23   #12
badzero
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
I saw that the bird flu had made the just to humans in China this week, it will get to us sooner or later.

The "flu" damn near killed me a couple of years ago, and I'm pretty healthy, weird thing is though when I pulled my medical record from the va, they have it listed as an "unknown viral infection"

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016, 00:37   #13
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
no pox here😁
no flu shot for me
hanta virus scared the crap outta folks years ago
drug companies come out here to test their product on the poor - thats even more dangerous
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016, 01:58   #14
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

This is interesting, now the crap can jump from house cats to humans!

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...lters-symptoms

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-1...case-bird.html

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?Arti...tegoryId=13936

http://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Econ...ird-flu-Xinhua
Old December 31, 2016, 10:12   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
I think you refuted your own supposition.
Thought fairly well said even if take most precautions possible and still live semi normal life, no guarantees you won't pick up a bug. Every healthcare decision made ask doctor if we have covered all possibilities then go get second opinion. When do a project at home look at overall scope and cost. If adding 25% to investment adds durability and makes home safer then find the extra cash. Well designed HVAC can really increase indoor air quality.

Bonus Post to Ignore if Uninterested:
Still keep my Green Energy and Indoor Air Quality certifications active along with HVAC so know when something better comes along and ease or retrofit. Due to ham radio and commercial radio licenses knew how sensitive wire coatings are to U.V. exposure when the U.V. light filtration units hit the market was very leery to install in older machines. Turns out lot of vendors sold them as retrofits to discover they destroyed the insulation on wires, rubber seals and more killing good machines. If machine didn't ship from manufacturer U.V. Filter ready didn't install in client machines. One went to another vendor and 18 months later his air handler was toasted.

Currently wife has me redesigning, rebuilding and reinstalling all of our bullet resistant window liners. Except for an escape window in each bedroom all were installed to totally seal and be non removable without tools and time. Now one at a time they are going in redesigned frames with panoramic hinge one side and dual locks on other so she can open if wants during nice weather or wants to jump out. Hardest part was designing a seal am happy with to help windows and storm windows from allowing air to pass. Tighter the heat envelope, lower the utility bills and easier to hide from outside environment.

Like to know how stuff works, online certification courses are cheap and taking two right now. Most is trade oriented for different business have run under my parent corporation. Much has been laying in bed recovering from surgery and bored so pick a course and take it.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old December 31, 2016, 18:25   #16
Registered

pandamammic schmandoramic - i ain't worried. more than likely to be killed by a drunk driver or lightning.
Old December 31, 2016, 19:12   #17
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
pandamammic schmandoramic - i ain't worried. more than likely to be killed by a drunk driver or lightning.
Or rolling over a truck

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016, 20:08   #18
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
You are located in NM!
Does anyone drive sober in that state?
Seems there is a cross every mile of road, dozens on curves.
Of course we ain't nuthin to write home about.
Went into town to pick up some grub, went thru DUI checkpoints, twice, already had people cuffed up and sun just went down.
Old January 01, 2017, 06:46   #19
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
It's hot down there, in NM and AZ. You have to drink a lot in order to stay cool. I couldn't live there. I like Tequila too much, and I hear there's a bunch of it in that area. I'd have to sample it all.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2017, 11:28   #20
Exit308
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Do drunks get sick?

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2017, 11:53   #21
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
Do drunks get sick?
Seldom, two friends and ex-wife alcoholics and seem to never get sick. That said, known many from father's and grandparent's generations that hit some point where liver or other organs can't take it anymore and they pay hard and fast. Know one guy who drinks six pack by lunch, twelve pack by dinner till falls asleep with beer in hand watching a television. One of the most talented machinists ever known when willing to work now, drives better than most housewives talking/texting or turned backwards screaming at kids.
Old January 01, 2017, 12:30   #22
Registered

yep, there are crosses & monuments all over the highway right of ways around here. there is damned near a church built where two locals hit the end of a T intersection on their harleys going over a 100 mph whilst totally f$&@$d up. kinda like thelma & louise.

http://www.daily-times.com/story/new...rash/89866494/

http://m.santafenewmexican.com/news/....html?mode=jqm

my personal favorite- drunk took out a helicopter
https://www.google.com/amp/krqe.com/...?client=safari

so yeah, a pandemic ranks pretty low.
Old April 20, 2017, 02:45   #23
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
(CNN)Experts say we are "due" for one. When it happens, they tell us,*it will probably have a greater impact on humanity than anything else currently happening in the world.
And yet, like with most people, it is probably something you haven't spent much time thinking about. After all, it is human nature to avoid being consumed by hypotheticals until they are staring us squarely in the face.
Such is the case with a highly lethal flu pandemic. And when it comes, it will affect every human alive today.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/07/health...-sanjay-gupta/
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 05:30   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I work around poultry industry a lot. My three big egg accounts have spent over $1.5 million in pandemic mitigation for their chickens in past 18 months. Think about that... They are profit driven and don't spend money unless there is a need. If an avian flu jumped to humans we don't have at hospitals what chicken business does. One of my vendors upgraded their decontamination stations at each door to facility and gave me one of the old units along with a five gallon bucket of chemical it uses that mixes one pint to gallon of water to decontaminate boots/shoes before entering structure. Have an area will use if have to go outside and decontaminate before re-enter. Go to Lowe's or paint store and buy several dozen Tyvek paper coveralls to wear if go outside then rip off and put in garbage can before re-entering your house and either decontamination footwear or leave outside. Cannot stress how important keeping your house or hovel at positive pressure and as much stand off range from other humans as possible. I don't hunt birds but if bird flu mutates they will be kept away from house. Some morons will shoot and eat the infected things and die. Yes, as a global community a bug from Africa can be rampant in USA in 48 hours.
Old April 20, 2017, 05:42   #25
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
We're just a speck on Mother Nature's arse, really.

[IMG][/IMG]
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 08:06   #26
BamaFal
Registered

FALaholic #: 5018
Be like Bogart and Hepburn, they stayed soused during the filming of the African Queen. Most of the film crew got malaria while Bogart and Hepburn enjoyed the visit! Or, that is how the story goes!

NRA Life Member
BamaFal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 08:21   #27
sharkey
Registered

FALaholic #: 77489
trouble in more places than one.

Ive read about that avian flu, and once it mutates, which it does, should it mutate into a human host strain all bets are off. It could easily be worse than the black death that Europe went through where 1 of 2 died. Poultry inspectors will destroy thousands of birds in another area, just because the wind is blowing their way... this is how deadly this stuff is.

I saw the pics of the Venezuala protests concerning their gov'ts socialist agenda and how their society has totally failed. Consider this for a second. Their money is worthless. There is no food. Their hospitals cannot treat anything because they are totally out of antibiotic compounds, dressings, sutures and narcotics. There is no water treatment. Electricity is available only a few hours a day. Refrigeration? Doesnt matter when there isnt anything to keep cold.

The Russians were supposed to give them something, and maybe the US will too, but to my knowledge we have been told to stay out after the Kimberly Clark factory in VZ was taken over by their govt. This was an American Company that was seized by the VZ Gov't. The saving grace was Citibank holds the VZ gold, and cashed 1/3 of it in to pay Kimberly Clark whatever the factory was worth, whether Venezuala liked it or not.

The other thing that nobody is talking about is where do you think these people are going to go? Sure surrounding countries will take some refugees. Trump better get moving on that wall is all I can say. Problem is all the VZ refugees that make it to US soil, will all say they are fleeing their Socialist Gov't and then its come on in...sure bring your cholera, pest and God knows what with you so we all get it.
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 09:00   #28
sharkey
Registered

FALaholic #: 77489
VZ Government has seized a 'GM' plant.

Looks like VZ seized a US Clorox factory in 2014. Article says Ford wrote off $800 million on a new factory built by them in VZ that was also taken over by VZ.. So that makes it Kimberly-Clark, Clorox, Ford, and GM. Im sure there are many more that we dont know about.

Wonder if the US Companies ever thought about Mexico doing something like this to them?

Isnt this an act of war on the part of VZ?

I guess since Citibank has all their gold maybe not. Wonder what the value of that gold is? Article date is April 19, 2017...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gm-ce...023320080.html
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 09:17   #29
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
Overdue is an understatement.
More people, more movement of people, faster movement of people.
All the parts are in place,
Old April 20, 2017, 09:30   #30
machinegunner
Apprentice
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 78657
Screw vaccines and antibiotics. never had vaccines and never had flu or anything worse than a small cold. I could count on one hand the number of times I have been to a doctor. 2 of which were the ER.
machinegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 09:39   #31
xtremerange
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4305
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
Isnt this an act of war on the part of VZ?
With Clorox? Can a country get into a war with a company?

As to the US going to war over a privately owned chemical plant a company was stupid enough to locate in an unstable foreign country...

To the original topic, there have been pandemics that would have killed millions but public health agencies have gotten very good at isolating and preventing mass spread. Smallpox is not going to kill anyone on this board since the vaccine campaigns have essentially wiped out the disease. It could come back if we stop taking the vaccine since there appears to be some wipe-your-ass-with-your-left-hand-eat-with-your-right areas where it still exists.
Old April 20, 2017, 10:27   #32
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinegunner View Post
Screw vaccines and antibiotics. never had vaccines and never had flu or anything worse than a small cold. I could count on one hand the number of times I have been to a doctor. 2 of which were the ER.
You've been very lucky, blessed with good genes.
I'm old enough, ugh, to remember when polio ruled the land and caused panic and despair among the masses of citizens in this country.
Also old enough to remember when the polio vaccine was made available to everyone.
Our town shut down and everyone lined up for a day in advance to get their dose of the polio vaccine.
I also worked in areas with small pox, again old enough to have been through that shit.
Again, people cried with joy, mothers with small children who they knew would not be killed by small pox once they received that vaccine smiled from ear to ear.

People used to die from STD's, then antibiotics stopped that shit cold.
TB ran rampant, killing millions, antibiotics stopped that crap.
TB, smallpox, polio, etc, all stopped from vaccines and antibiotics.
Pneumonia vaccines save millions from early death today.

Modern surgery, would not happen without antibiotics, saving millions upon millions of people every day.

So yea, antibiotics and vaccines are bad, no they are not.

Another plague hits, people will again line up for days in advance to get their dose of the vaccine that stops it from killing them and their love ones.
Old April 20, 2017, 11:53   #33
Story
Registered

Quote:
Another plague hits, people will again line up for days in advance to get their dose of the vaccine that stops it from killing them and their love ones.

There's a man goin' round, takin' names.

Old April 20, 2017, 12:07   #34
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
What worries me more than a bird flu pandemic is the idea that we're entering a "post-antibiotic" world where our antibiotics no longer treat the simple ailments that left unchecked, will kill you. Imagine that cut you got working the shop becoming infected, and there are no longer any antibiotics that will knock out the infection, and then you die of septic shock once the staph infection overtakes your immune system. According to scientists, this is a very real concern.

However, as antibiotics don't generate nearly as much revenue as limp dick pills, opioids, and psoriasis treatments, Big Pharma doesn't really have any next generation antibiotics in the pipeline right now so if we wake up and discover our miracle Penicillin and Tetracycline derivatives no longer work...we're fugked.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 17:38   #35
Story
Registered

Tic Toc.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/03/health...irus-bacteria/
Old April 20, 2017, 19:07   #36
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinegunner View Post
That was me until 2007. Now know where every medical building in North Georgia is, what doctors are located in them, where the sneaky easy places to park are and spend two days a week keeping up with medical issues. When that fuse pops brother I promise it hurts. Never got a flu vaccine till got flue 2007, 2008 and 2009. Now am first in line. Was talking with a friend today about how we used to mock all the old people weaving through traffic looking for their doctors office. We are becomming those people. Ain't caught nothing doesn't mean jack if avian flu jumps species. It may be you genotype it prefers.
Old April 20, 2017, 19:22   #37
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
What worries me more than a bird flu pandemic is the idea that we're entering a "post-antibiotic" world where our antibiotics no longer treat the simple ailments that left unchecked, will kill you. Imagine that cut you got working the shop becoming infected, and there are no longer any antibiotics that will knock out the infection, and then you die of septic shock once the staph infection overtakes your immune system. According to scientists, this is a very real concern.

However, as antibiotics don't generate nearly as much revenue as limp dick pills, opioids, and psoriasis treatments, Big Pharma doesn't really have any next generation antibiotics in the pipeline right now so if we wake up and discover our miracle Penicillin and Tetracycline derivatives no longer work...we're fugked.
Friend was over a week ago, eating me out of house and home, and he's a GP MD.
Was looking thru my surgical bag and saw the stuff I have for amputations and also a reprint of an old 1865 surgical manual.
Conversation moved into amputations when antibiotics no longer work.
As in, cut off the hand, fingers, arms, legs or die.
His eyes got real wide, real fast.
Before antibiotics, it was a common practice.
Soap, water, heavy leather gloves, are your friends when antibiotics no longer work.
Gasoline also not a bad way to disinfect wounds, kinda kills everything.
We end up back in meat cleaver medicine, a lot of people are not going to be amused.
And sadly, its coming sooner vs later.
Prepare.
Old May 11, 2017, 14:00   #38
C2A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 15514
See Time has an article out this week. The H7N9 virus has a 41% mortality rate. Now that would be something to loss almost half the world population in a year/18 months.
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017, 19:20   #39
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
See Time has an article out this week. The H7N9 virus has a 41% mortality rate. Now that would be something to loss almost half the world population in a year/18 months.
Yea, but its worst than that.
Seems they have a confirmed or highly suspected case of person to person transmission and just now telling us.

http://www.cmj.org/article.asp?issn=...6;aulast=Zhang

http://afludiary.blogspot.com/2017/0...its-range.html

Be on the look out for "flu" here in the off season, about all we can do.
Old May 11, 2017, 20:20   #40
Trypcil
Deep Thunkerer!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
this is part of the mandatory vaccination push that is looming !

http://govtslaves.info/feds-releases...r-harm-anyone/

Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 04:03   #41
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Gasoline also not a bad way to disinfect wounds, kinda kills everything.:uhoh

Prepare.
Booze is easier to make.

And I agree that historically we are overdue (and no matter advances in modern medicine it's only a matter of time)

But the historical models/timeline don't take into account modern sanatation.... so we are guessing.
Old May 12, 2017, 07:45   #42
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Friend was over a week ago, eating me out of house and home, and he's a GP MD.
Was looking thru my surgical bag and saw the stuff I have for amputations... (Trim)
Soap, water, heavy leather gloves, are your friends when antibiotics no longer work.
We end up back in meat cleaver medicine, a lot of people are not going to be amused.
Prepare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Booze is easier to make.
And I agree that historically we are overdue (and no matter advances in modern medicine it's only a matter of time)
But the historical models/timeline don't take into account modern sanatation.... so we are guessing.
Lacquer Thinner is one of the best antiseptics have personally used. Have full med kits on every work truck and fulfillment kit at work. Help always wanted Neosporin and bandages out of the kit when got cut or had to dig out a big splinter or shrapnel from an drill bit or end mill exploding. They will rape the kit changing bandages and using up the individually packed alcohol wipes and single dose packs of Neosporin. They will fiddle with a decent wound for a week. I remove any and all debris can find, pour some lacquer thinner in and on wound, tear off a piece of paper towel to cover wound and a few wraps of masking tape to hold it in place. Next day all redness, puss and signs of infection are gone and only cover it if doing something nasty. Keeping some wounds coated with salve and bandage just traps any poison in. I kill it with chemicals then let it breath right up to a wound that needs stitches then clean, hit it with lidocaine, sew and go back to work. Threaded needles are much cheaper at the farm supply than medical supply.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:12   #43
C2A1
Registered

Thanks for the links YH.
I tend to agree with Huey on letting air and light (UV) help deal with skin breaks. I've used this approach when I was in places where a clean bandage was a nice though.
Old May 12, 2017, 13:42   #44
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Thanks for the links YH.
I tend to agree with Huey on letting air and light (UV) help deal with skin breaks. I've used this approach when I was in places where a clean bandage was a nice though.
Its that person to person contact we're all looking for, or should be.
The nearest I get to chickens is at KFC and I;m not worried about those.

I did not buy my home and land thinking in terms of survival during pandemics but it will be a good location to ride out the storm.

More than able to keep everything away, no contact well out past 300 yards, dedicated and secure water source, etc.

Most folks can't survive a week or ten days without all essential services being on line, working properly and have no clue that if a pandemic hits, the people who keep the water and trucks moving, won;t be going to work, so those two vital resources, water and all goods come to a sudden halt.
Old May 12, 2017, 14:25   #45
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Conversation moved into amputations when antibiotics no longer work. As in, cut off the hand, fingers, arms, legs or die.
Guy at work just went through this (few months back). Bad, deep rotten wound in bottom of his right foot, that he did not know about (diabetes?). Anyway, went into the hospital and they took a few toes. Rot (infection) continued, they said umm, maybe we need to go ahead and take the whole foot next. He said "look, you told me you were going to be aggressive, how much do you need to take to be sure to get it all?". They went ahead and took half way up to the knee and he seems to be fine now and getting around well six months later. But it was touch and go there for a while. I visited him often during the time this was happening and kept thinking that it was a heck of a time to be making life and death decisions when you are racked with fighting a major systemic infection.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 14:34   #46
Thomas
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7451
flu

When we have researchers in Alaska digging up 1918 flu bodies in the permafrost.
Why would I be worried about that bug getting loose again?
Old May 12, 2017, 18:18   #47
ROBBO
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 9777
In an average year, for otherwise healthy people between 16 and 65, the NNT(number needed to treat), or the number of flu shots that need to be given for ONE person to not get the flu, is 100. Think about that.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 19:32   #48
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Quote:
......Before antibiotics, it was a common practice.
Prepare.

Honey is also a great natural antibiotic. The ancient Egyptians used it 4,000+ years ago. The link is a paper on the medicinal properties of honey. I haven't read it critically yet but a first scan looks interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609166/

Old June 16, 2017, 16:59   #49
C2A1
Registered

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-more-likely/
Old June 16, 2017, 17:11   #50
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Not sure which concerns me the most, the virus or the people wearing white lab coats!